So, apparently DC comics will reboot it's ENTIRE universe.

Started by Wolfy, June 01, 2011, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/2011-05-31-dc-comics-reinvents_n.htm

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Teen Titans, everything and everyone is going back to issue #1 in the coming weeks (Or months..something like that).

I can't wait to see how this turns out. O_o

Aiden

Kunoichi

...What, again?

No, wait, I'm probably thinking of something else...

Quote from: Aiden on June 01, 2011, 01:40:52 PM
Same suck, new numbers.  XD

Actually, the one writer mentioned in the article, Geoff Johns, is really quite good.

And from the looks of things, they're going into digital publishing, as well, which I find slightly more interesting...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kunoichi on June 01, 2011, 01:46:30 PM
...What, again?

No, wait, I'm probably thinking of something else...

Actually, the one writer mentioned in the article, Geoff Johns, is really quite good.

And from the looks of things, they're going into digital publishing, as well, which I find slightly more interesting...

They already are in it. I got a TON of options for DC comics every week. They are rolling out TONS of stuff.

Kunoichi

Ah. ^^; I don't really keep up with the comics industry, so I didn't know that.  I guess what they're doing new that warranted a mention in the article was making the digital copies available online on the same day as the print copies hit store shelves, then.  I take it there's usually a small delay between the two?

Oniya

Quote from: Kunoichi on June 01, 2011, 01:46:30 PM
...What, again?

That's exactly what Mr. Oniya just said when I gave him the news.  :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Anjasa

Huh, interesting. I love it when authors focus on character development.

Brandon

Wait, didnt they do this with crisis on infinite earths? and then do a similar reboot with infinite crisis?

Ok I know DC has a problem marketing to anyone except comic fans but this is going to alienate them while simultaneously making things more confusing for people like me who only read comics when theres a good deal on a trade. I can only imagine how confused the total outsider who wants to get in but isnt sure how to is going to respond

Nice to hear theyre going the route of digital distribution though, one of the major things i never liked about comics was having to go through all the backstory via hard to find comics or scans and thats probably the main reason why I never got into them. However with DD it helps make finding those rare chunks of story easier, assuming DC keeps them on file
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

TheGlyphstone

This will only work if they do it as Crisis In Infinite Comics, a mega-crossover where ever version of every character fro different continuities, reboots, elsewheres, etc. appear for a giant throw-down that just makes them all cease to exist.

rick957

51 first issues in a month.  I call that "contempt for your audience."  Nothing new for the comics industry!

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on June 01, 2011, 04:46:27 PM
Wait, didnt they do this with crisis on infinite earths? and then do a similar reboot with infinite crisis?

Ok I know DC has a problem marketing to anyone except comic fans but this is going to alienate them while simultaneously making things more confusing for people like me who only read comics when theres a good deal on a trade. I can only imagine how confused the total outsider who wants to get in but isnt sure how to is going to respond

Nice to hear theyre going the route of digital distribution though, one of the major things i never liked about comics was having to go through all the backstory via hard to find comics or scans and thats probably the main reason why I never got into them. However with DD it helps make finding those rare chunks of story easier, assuming DC keeps them on file
Yeah, they did, but somebody when ahead and rebooted the whole multi-Earth concept and it happened again.

I can tell you why they're really doing it. It's a chance to wrangle in new fans. It's hard to get into comics these days. There's a lore to them that you have to understand before you'd even be able to pick up some stand-alone series, not even counting the main flow of a charcter's story.

Yes, it kind of steals the comic fan's thunder, but eventually fans die, and then stuff goes into obscurity. If D.C. can reboot it well it'll actually be a brilliant move for the long term. The only people I can actually see it not appealing to is the fan.

Hell, maybe I'd start actually trying to buy comics instead of using the internet. That lore is like adamantium.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on June 01, 2011, 05:38:53 PM
Yeah, they did, but somebody when ahead and rebooted the whole multi-Earth concept and it happened again.

I can tell you why they're really doing it. It's a chance to wrangle in new fans. It's hard to get into comics these days. There's a lore to them that you have to understand before you'd even be able to pick up some stand-alone series, not even counting the main flow of a charcter's story.

Yes, it kind of steals the comic fan's thunder, but eventually fans die, and then stuff goes into obscurity. If D.C. can reboot it well it'll actually be a brilliant move for the long term. The only people I can actually see it not appealing to is the fan.

Hell, maybe I'd start actually trying to buy comics instead of using the internet. That lore is like adamantium.

Ah, I see, so your saying Wolverine's Skeleton is covered in plot devices and Deus Ex Machina.

...Makes sense.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on June 01, 2011, 05:41:13 PM
Ah, I see, so your saying Wolverine's Skeleton is covered in plot devices and Deus Ex Machina.

...Makes sense.
Hey, a writer's convenience is the most powerful force a writer can bring to bear.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

rick957

New fans might enjoy jumping on board at the beginning of new series, and not having to worry about backstory, but if you really want to target new people, you roll out gradually to keep the expense reasonable.

If the new series include standalone stories or stories that aren't connected to each other (requiring purchases of extra issues to understand), then I may be totally wrong; both those decisions would help to target new fans.  But I suspect they'll do the exact opposite in both cases.

blknwhite11

Reboot huh? That's quite interesting.

I wonder how this goes.

Falanor

Actually it makes a lot of sense.  They are going to start losing all of their main groups origin stories soon, since the loss of Superman's debut of Action Comics #15.  Gives a chance for them to bring in a lot of new folks without the possible of baggage of the original universes. Also they can have a tighter grip on continuity.  If they keep the 2.99 'Drawing the Line' stance going, I might just have to consider a change from a lot of my more expensive Marvel Titles.

TFork50

Have they said if it's a total reboot? I've read that Batman Inc. is one of the 52 "new" titles, that implies some of the current continuity could be coming over. Also, for any Teen Titan fans, is it just me or does Red Robin's new costume remind anyone of Falcon's costume from Marvel?

RubySlippers

As long Harley and Poison Ivy finally become lovers ,hopeful here on this, its good by me.

And I want Wonder Woman a serious lesbian role model chasing Loise Lane she can do better than Clark Kent.

;D

Shjade

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 18, 2011, 01:40:14 PM
As long Harley and Poison Ivy finally become lovers ,hopeful here on this, its good by me.
I wouldn't be surprised if Harley didn't appear at all in a world-wide reboot. I like the character myself, but she did originate from B:TAS, which presumably doesn't have ties to any world reboot, so...it's iffy.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Harley Quinn will be one of the main characters in the upcoming 2011 Suicide Squad relaunch. She will be sporting a new costume similar to her design in the Arkham City video game.

source and picture
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on June 18, 2011, 02:22:08 PM
Harley Quinn will be one of the main characters in the upcoming 2011 Suicide Squad relaunch. She will be sporting a new costume similar to her design in the Arkham City video game.

source and picture
Sadly she won't be sporting the original voice actress in Arkham City too. Tara Strong is picking up the mantel, and she's a good voice actress, but I'm going to miss the signature "puddin'".

Eh, it's a fact of life, and I'm not going to let it impact my gaming experience. Mark Hamil won't be doing the Joker anymore either (after Arkham City). He's getting on though, and it must be a hard voice to do for him. Kind of like Mel Blanc and Yosemite Sam.

Shjade

*follows the link*

They might call her Harley Quinn, but that's more like a redesign than a reboot. Hardly the same character.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Brandon

That's a shame, I really cant take any Joker seriously unless they are voiced by Mark Hamil. There was a batman animated movie that came out awhile back and the Joker was a signature character in it but voiced by another guy. Through the whole movie I just couldn't help but think "this isn't the joker!". Hes just the best one who's ever done it and become irreplaceable for me
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

The more I read the les I think I will like what is coming.

Inkidu

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 19, 2011, 08:47:49 AM
The more I read the les I think I will like what is coming.
Yes, they're in your memories stepping on your nostalgia. It happens. Fifty years from now people are going to be complaining that DC is rebooting their entire universe again and if So-and-So doesn't voice the Joker it's just not the same.

It can't stay the same forever. :\

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on June 21, 2011, 05:13:45 PM
Yes, they're in your memories stepping on your nostalgia. It happens. Fifty years from now people are going to be complaining that DC is rebooting their entire universe again and if So-and-So doesn't voice the Joker it's just not the same.

It can't stay the same forever. :\

Still should Harley be with the Joker not the Suicide Squad?

Falanor

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 21, 2011, 07:10:19 PM
Still should Harley be with the Joker not the Suicide Squad?

Depends.  If I recall correctly, Suicide Squad isn't necessarily a voluntary team. >:)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Falanor on June 22, 2011, 10:01:49 AM
Depends.  If I recall correctly, Suicide Squad isn't necessarily a voluntary team. >:)

I can see WINDING up with them.. but starting the reboot?

Falanor

Harley

...  Why have I not crossed across this thread before?   

I'm so drained right now I just don't know what to say, but the whole topic about Harley and the Joker has me intrigued of course.