Lost Valley of the Three Kings (interest check)

Started by GloomCookie, October 14, 2011, 02:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

The old man occupying the small shack coughed as he tried to keep warm, the small fire built on the twigs he'd managed to obtain barely doing more than keeping his hands warm.  The blanket leading out of his shack briefly opened, the snow attempting to come in with the stranger in black.  The stranger said not a word, seating himself on the tattered cushon across from the old man and placing a small log on the fire.  The old man peered at the stranger, then asked, "Have you come for the story?" to which the figure nodded.

Another cough racked the old man, before he began, his voice raspy with age, "It begins long before the cold times, when the fields were lush and green.  People enjoyed themselves, the sun warming them and their hearts as children ran screaming and giggling through the tall grass.  There were three kingdoms during this time... the Vola'Kun, the Par'Soban and the Rek'Nevar.  All three were ruled by powerful but benevolent kings, each with a symbol.  The Vola'Kun, the twin serpents, the Par'Soban, the hawk, and the Rek'Nevar, the crescent moon.  All remained well until a priestess of the Vola'Kun fore-told a prophecy, that when the hawk killed the serpents, the moon would be no more."

"Fearing that the Par'Soban would destroy them, the Vola'Kun and the Rek'Nevar amassed an army, to destroy the Par'Soban.  The hills echoed with the drums of war.  But the only way to get to the kingdom of Par'Soban was a pass, a valley through the treacherous Korla'San mountains.  Guarding the entrance was said to be a single old hermit, who would not permit the passage of the army.  Riding to the front was the king of Rek'Nevar, Grecka.  Grecka laughed at the old man, until a hawk's cry drew all eyes to the sky.  The hawk descended, landing on the ground and eating two fighting snakes intertwined."

"The Rek'Nevar, fearing this was the prophecy, turned and retreated back to their homes.  There, they found that their city had burned to the ground, not by attack, but by a fire that had swept the city.  Falling to his knees in the ashes of his once beautiful kingdom, Grecka began to sob as ash fell as snow.  His heart became that of ice, and his tears froze upon the ground.  It was then that the cold winds came, bringing the cold and darkness.  Grecka and what remained of the Rek'Nevar left, heading for the Valley of Three Kings.  The Valley is said to be where the first kings of all three kingdoms are buried, and so long as they are united, the they will protect the kingdoms."

"Some have said that they found the tomb of Nevar, the first King of Rek'Nevar, broken and shattered.  Others claim it was it was looted and sacked.  Regardless, the remaining Rek'Nevar are said to have frozen in the valley, a waiting army for the return of Nevar to his burial chamber, and that so long as his body is missing, the kingdoms will continue to freeze."

The old man was warmer now, and he looked at the dark figure's face, now illuminated by the light.  Before the old man could say more, the dark figure drove a dagger into his chest.  As the old man fell onto the floor dead, the figure stood and departed, leaving the dagger in his chest.  On the hilt of the dagger was a symbol, that of a hawk consuming two intertwined snakes.

My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Vaulera

I am very interested in the story, but what will the setting,characters and interaction be like?

GloomCookie

It's gonna be focused on a band of people who somehow hear the legend and want to fix things.  It'll start small but we can let it grow over time as people express interest.
My DeviantArt

RabbitJanitor

Frelance

Well I am interested in this. Do you have a particular culture in mind to use for clothing styles or weapons?
Evolution is an arms race

Cold Heritage

What scale would be appropriate for the characters? In terms of capability and experience, I suppose.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Scribbles

AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

GloomCookie

To be honest I'm not nearly as familiar with fantasy realms as I am with scifi so I'd appreciate someone's help.  I have ideas in mind but I'd rather have an assistant so that I don't do something stupid like having tin foil hats on all our peeps.
My DeviantArt

Frelance

Well I will help in anyway I can. Just send me a Pm with whatever your ideas are and  I can see what I can help with.
Evolution is an arms race

Vaulera

Well judging by the area and scenery you have depicted there, I would put it as more of a late 15th century England setting. But if it is in a fantasy universe there could very well be travelers from wherever if they want to seek fortune and glory in a land filled with terror. There is much debate as to what a proper fantasy should be, but the most important part is that the characters are diverse in personality, equipment origin and skills.