News:

Main Menu

Bollywood Films

Started by Kakihara, February 28, 2023, 07:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kakihara

Looking through the forum of the recent past, I didn't see any thread discussing Bollywood films  So I decided I'd make a thread for everyone to discuss Bollywood films and perhaps make recommendations or what they are watching.

So, I've started to get back into watching more Bollywood style films which in the past have never hit my favor too much beyond a few randoms so I know I'm a bit behind in the genre.  I think my favorite of recent memory is Padmaavat, which is set in Set in 1303 AD medieval India, telling the tale of Queen Padmavati and her romance with a king and the battle she would face after their marriage with the evil and possessive Alauddin.  It was the most expensive Indian film at the time and it shows in it's production as the set design and costuming are gorgeous and just a wonder for the eye to watch.  I think that's perhaps why I was enveloped in it as it was so grand and beautiful the whole strangeness of dance numbers and singing in a movie didn't bother me as much. lol 

The other recent movie I watched that is just marvelous is Gangubai Kathiawadi, and the complete opposite of Padmaavat.  It tells the tale inspired by the real life of Gangubai Kothewali of a prostitute who raises up from poor beginnings to becoming one of the biggest madams in the city.  It's interesting as it shows a very strong and seductive woman taking charge of things, something you don't see done well even in most western films.  It is a bit harsh at times but overall really enjoyed it.  Though now that I've learned it based on only one chapter of a book that covers 13 mafia queens, I must track down the book if it's available in English.

Oniya

Quote from: Kakihara on February 28, 2023, 07:45:48 PM
The other recent movie I watched that is just marvelous is Gangubai Kathiawadi, and the complete opposite of Padmaavat.  It tells the tale inspired by the real life of Gangubai Kothewali of a prostitute who raises up from poor beginnings to becoming one of the biggest madams in the city.  It's interesting as it shows a very strong and seductive woman taking charge of things, something you don't see done well even in most western films.  It is a bit harsh at times but overall really enjoyed it.  Though now that I've learned it based on only one chapter of a book that covers 13 mafia queens, I must track down the book if it's available in English.

You're in luck:  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10735428-mafia-queens-of-mumbai

One of the author's other books has also been adapted into a movie:  Phantom, the 2015 film starring Saif Ali Khan.  That one appears to be more of an 'alt-history' than a true crime, focusing on the terror attacks of 2008.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kakihara

Bajirao Mastani is one definitely on my list but sadly it is one of those suffering from the same issue facing a lot of my issues with SEA cinema and TV, they are exclusive to one streaming service, not always available in America.  This one at least is, Eros Now, but just a matter of fitting it into the rotation when I can watch it, since have to be able to have the time and focus to read the subs.

Fox Lokison

Quote from: Kakihara on February 28, 2023, 07:45:48 PM

It's 100% available in English - I own a copy! I got mine on Thriftbooks after Zephyrink and I were talking a bit about Gangubai Kothewali. It's VERY good, and all the stories wake my muse something fierce.

RedRose

Following. I used to watch whatever was on tv when I was in India.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]