Has anybody watched any good horror movies?

Started by XxDark AngelxX, February 28, 2014, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XxDark AngelxX

Of course most horror movies these days aren't really scary but most ave a good story line to them. Has anyone seen any good horror movies they recommend? I watched The Haunting in Connecticut 2 recently and it was great. A touching movie but not too touchy. It was just right.

Caeli

The Conjuring (2013).

QuoteBefore there was Amityville, there was Harrisville. "The Conjuring" tells the true story of Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga), world renowned paranormal investigators, who were called to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in a secluded farmhouse. Forced to confront a powerful demonic entity, the Warrens find themselves caught in the most horrifying case of their lives.

I hate horror movies. Hate them.  I get scared by movies that aren't even supposed to be scary, but usually I just get grossed out, especially if they're unnecessarily gory or bloody.

The Conjuring, I feel is a genuinely good horror movie.  Well-filmed, great acting, and I could definitely feel my heart in my throat for a lot of the scenes, wondering if the family would get out alive / unscathed.  The scaring wasn't done with gimmicks, but worked up to it by building and thickening the plot and the context of the story.  I really enjoyed the entire film (despite being super scared) and would definitely recommend it if you like horror movies.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

XxDark AngelxX

I actually watched that movie. I loved it. It was great. Not really scary but I have to admit there was a part that made me jump (and I don't scare easy). I absolutely love scary movies lol

RedPhoenix

I love horror movies, I love being scared. I suspend disbelief so fast haha.

The Ring is one of my favorite horror movies. Naomi Watts is fantastic, and the story behind the supernatural force is genuinely terrifying...as is the supernatural menace itself. I definitely very much recommend it. The sequel is something to be avoided.

Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

XxDark AngelxX

I watched The Ring and i completely agree, the movie was fantastic. I haven't seen it again in a while though..

Mathim

Anyone see The Midnight Meat Train? Pretty crazy, stars Bradley Cooper in his early career. One of my favorite Japanese directors was actually behind the helm of this one, and he directed a Japanese Zombie/Yakuza/Samurai mixture called Versus that's more action-y than scary but still worth a look. Another one of his I saw recently, No One Lives, was pretty freaky too.

Anything based on H.P. Lovecraft is usually really good. Dagon and other Stuart Gordon flicks are where it's at.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Oniya

Quote from: RedPhoenix on February 28, 2014, 05:25:15 PM
I love horror movies, I love being scared. I suspend disbelief so fast haha.

The Ring is one of my favorite horror movies. Naomi Watts is fantastic, and the story behind the supernatural force is genuinely terrifying...as is the supernatural menace itself. I definitely very much recommend it. The sequel is something to be avoided.

I remember around the time that The Ring was in the theaters, the book hit the shelves.  There was a sequel to that, too, called 'Spiral' (not to be confused with Junji Ito's Usumaki - although Ito is good if you like 'body horror', weird/disturbing transformations, etc.).  I rather suspect that 'The Ring 2' was not based on the literary sequel, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone has read/has opinions on the 'original' sequel.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RedPhoenix

I know Usumaki wasn't a movie but it is one of the most scary comic books I've ever read, and I typically hate anime.  It's very on the disturbing side of scary though, so be prepared anyone who goes to read it now. :)

Oniya

Quote from: RedPhoenix on March 01, 2014, 01:26:31 PM
I know Usumaki wasn't a movie but it is one of the most scary comic books I've ever read, and I typically hate anime.  It's very on the disturbing side of scary though, so be prepared anyone who goes to read it now. :)

I beg to differ.  It was released as a film in 2000.  (I discovered this while reading some of Ito's other works.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Oniya on March 01, 2014, 01:30:12 PM
I beg to differ.  It was released as a film in 2000.  (I discovered this while reading some of Ito's other works.)

Oh man, if they actually capture the imagery I'm not sure I could sit through that without running out of the room screaming.

Oniya

IMDB classes it as a 'comedy/horror'.  I'm not sure what to make of that.  I think there may be some cultural disconnect involved.  I'll admit that the premise sounds funny on paper (to me as a Westerner), but when you sit down and actually think about it...  Erk.

Lux12

I'll just make a list:
30 Days of Night
28 Days Later
The Thing (1982 version)
The Omen (the original)
The Woman In Black
Creepshow
Necromentia
Evil Dead 2
Drag Me to Hell
The Ring
The Unborn
Nosferatu
Let The Right One In
Silence of The Lambs
Hellraiser
The Haunting
Wake Wood

Oniya

Quote from: Lux12 on March 01, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
The Thing (1982 version)
The Omen (the original)
Nosferatu

Excellent movies.  Max Schreck is the perfect antidote to the 'glam' vampires that followed him.

RedPhoenix

I didn't really care for most of the movies Lux12 listed. I couldn't really get into many of them as horror films, and while Evil Dead 2 is an awesome movie I consider it more of a comedy. 

However, The Thing is a wonderful movie. Terrific. The paranoia and survival elements are so incredibly well done. Silence of the Lambs is one of the best movies ever made, not just horror movies mind you, one of the best movies period. I think maybe that's why it didn't leap to my mind because its so good it almost transcends the genre. Hellraiser is one of my all time guilty pleasure films. An interdimensional S&M toy? Oh man I could fanfiction that for days...

Oh and I haven't seen Drag me to Hell...I meant to but never did. Gotta put it back on the list.

Oniya

Evil Dead = horror movie.
Evil Dead 2 = tried to be horror movie, ended up funny.
Army of Darkness (aka Evil Dead 3) = forget horror, let's go for funny.

Shop smart - shop S-Mart.

Lux12

Quote from: RedPhoenix on March 01, 2014, 05:47:04 PM
Hellraiser is one of my all time guilty pleasure films. An interdimensional S&M toy? Oh man I could fanfiction that for days...

Oh and I haven't seen Drag me to Hell...I meant to but never did. Gotta put it back on the list.
Tell me about it. Hellraiser is one of the only films to handle gore and the interplay of sex and violence in a way that was artful and not totally tasteless. Clive Barker who wrote The Hellbound Heart on which the film is based on tends to be really good at that.

As for Drag Me to Hell, it takes an archetypal horror plot that has become the butt of many jokes and some how makes it entertaining. Whether it actually scares you or not, it's at least fun to watch.

XxDark AngelxX

Quote from: Mathim on March 01, 2014, 12:40:43 PM
Anyone see The Midnight Meat Train? Pretty crazy, stars Bradley Cooper in his early career. One of my favorite Japanese directors was actually behind the helm of this one, and he directed a Japanese Zombie/Yakuza/Samurai mixture called Versus that's more action-y than scary but still worth a look. Another one of his I saw recently, No One Lives, was pretty freaky too.

Anything based on H.P. Lovecraft is usually really good. Dagon and other Stuart Gordon flicks are where it's at.

I actually haven't heard of any of those XD

XxDark AngelxX

Quote from: RedPhoenix on March 01, 2014, 01:26:31 PM

That's interesting. I haven't heard of it but ill ask around and see if I could get a copy of it.

XxDark AngelxX

Quote from: Lux12 on March 01, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
I'll just make a list:
30 Days of Night
28 Days Later
The Thing (1982 version)
The Omen (the original)
The Woman In Black
Creepshow
Necromentia
Evil Dead 2
Drag Me to Hell
The Ring
The Unborn
Nosferatu
Let The Right One In
Silence of The Lambs
Hellraiser
The Haunting
Wake Wood

The only one Ive seen from that list is The Ring. I've heard of a few but never watched them. I suppose I'll watch some...which ones do y'all believe are the best, well, recommend the most.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Oniya on March 01, 2014, 05:53:42 PM
Evil Dead = horror movie.
Evil Dead 2 = tried to be horror movie, ended up funny.
Army of Darkness (aka Evil Dead 3) = forget horror, let's go for funny.

Shop smart - shop S-Mart.

This is my BOOMstick.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Dotley

Because I haven't seen it suggested yet: Jacob's Ladder. A great psychological horror movie with some very disturbing moments. There's just this lingering heaviness throughout the entire movie that really ate at me while I watched it. It's one of my favorite movies in general. Even if you haven't seen it you've probably seen/played/listened to something influenced by it (Silent Hill, American Horror Story, the Sixth Sense, etc and numerous songs have samples from it).

As for a more semi-modern suggestion: Session 9. Also going to support the previous suggestion of Let the Right One In.
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

someinheritthewealth

For horror junkies not completely a horror but a love letter to the genre I say Cabin in the Woods.

That is all.

Jag

I love horror movies. I recently watched a documentary about the history of horror movies. About their evolution from black/white to color, from slashers to giant animals to human monsters (psychopaths) to ultra gory...it was very interesting. I'll have to look it up again.

Recently, the hubby and I watched The ABCs of Death. It was made in 2012. It contains 26 short death/horror stories. 26 directors were assigned a letter of the alphabet and told to create a short story of death involving it. Some of them are very silly, some are very culturally based, some are very gory, some are very emotional (the letter M really got to me), and some are just strange. There is supposed to be a sequel being made this year.

It was so interesting to see the various ideas, styles, and stories that these people come up with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ABCs_of_Death

Highly recommend it.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

someinheritthewealth

Quote from: Jagerin on March 02, 2014, 09:43:34 AM
I love horror movies. I recently watched a documentary about the history of horror movies. About their evolution from black/white to color, from slashers to giant animals to human monsters (psychopaths) to ultra gory...it was very interesting. I'll have to look it up again.

Recently, the hubby and I watched The ABCs of Death. It was made in 2012. It contains 26 short death/horror stories. 26 directors were assigned a letter of the alphabet and told to create a short story of death involving it. Some of them are very silly, some are very culturally based, some are very gory, some are very emotional (the letter M really got to me), and some are just strange. There is supposed to be a sequel being made this year.

It was so interesting to see the various ideas, styles, and stories that these people come up with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_ABCs_of_Death

Is it similar in vein to the Master of Horrors boxsets which I argue still contains one of the best John Carpenter stories - Cigarette Burns.

Highly recommend it.

Mnemaxa

Here are some must sees.

Alien. The original one.
The Apocalypse Trilogy by Carpenter: The Thing, 1982 version (don't you dare watch the new version); Prince of Darkness, 1987; and In the Mouth of Madness, 1994.
Let the Right One In (NOT THE AMERICAN VERSION, FOR HADES SAKE!)
The Ring (This is a rare case of an American remake being good.)
No One Lives (One of the only slasher movies I enjoyed, and the only one I recommend.)
Ju-on - The Grudge, subtitled, and only the Japanese version.  While the American remake was good due to using the same director and actress for Sadako, there are nuances in the original are missed.
Infection (Japanese, Subtitled).  You will never go to a Japanese hospital again.
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.  Tooth Faeries.  Yeah. 
An American Werewolf in London.  Don't bother with the sequel.
Slither, for humor with your horror.
Evil Dead 2 (Note the number! It's important!), for horror with your humor.
Evil Dead, 2013  Yikes.  Just yikes.

Once you've seen these, you'll have a good grasp of the genre.  Go forth, be scared.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: someinheritthewealth on March 02, 2014, 09:43:21 AM
For horror junkies not completely a horror but a love letter to the genre I say Cabin in the Woods.

Okay I just watched this on Netflix. I really liked it, thanks for the recommendation. Very 90s. :)

someinheritthewealth

Quote from: RedPhoenix on March 02, 2014, 06:58:26 PM
Okay I just watched this on Netflix. I really liked it, thanks for the recommendation. Very 90s. :)

Glad could provide some good entertainment. Another horror comedy is Dance of the Dead it has Bruce Campbell cameo in it :).

Mathim

Quote from: Mnemaxa on March 02, 2014, 12:49:51 PM
Here are some must sees.

Alien. The original one.
The Apocalypse Trilogy by Carpenter: The Thing, 1982 version (don't you dare watch the new version); Prince of Darkness, 1987; and In the Mouth of Madness, 1994.
Let the Right One In (NOT THE AMERICAN VERSION, FOR HADES SAKE!)
The Ring (This is a rare case of an American remake being good.)
No One Lives (One of the only slasher movies I enjoyed, and the only one I recommend.)
Ju-on - The Grudge, subtitled, and only the Japanese version.  While the American remake was good due to using the same director and actress for Sadako, there are nuances in the original are missed.
Infection (Japanese, Subtitled).  You will never go to a Japanese hospital again.
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.  Tooth Faeries.  Yeah. 
An American Werewolf in London.  Don't bother with the sequel.
Slither, for humor with your horror.
Evil Dead 2 (Note the number! It's important!), for horror with your humor.
Evil Dead, 2013  Yikes.  Just yikes.

Once you've seen these, you'll have a good grasp of the genre.  Go forth, be scared.

We appear to have similar tastes. Gotta love the Apocaplypse trilogy (not overly fond of re-watching Mouth of Madness but it's still damn fine Carpenter) and I never thought I'd hear anyone else mention No One Lives since I didn't think it was too proliferate.

I know it's not exactly horror but Pitch Black was fun. Kind of an action-y, sci-fi as opposed to direct horror. Still good though.

Anyone see the Vanishing on 7th Street? Seemed like a good premise they just really dropped the ball with during the scriptwriting and production.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

someinheritthewealth

See I don't understand how an American director can do as solely Easten Belief that of being the Hungry Ghost, this is what the the main Japanese horrors originate from, the idea that the ghost or the spectre in them is hungry for something, the Grudge is Revenge as is The Ringu, but Dark Water is more naunced in the sense it's about love the ghost is a young girl who just misses her Mother. It actually has a rather a dark ending. To add to this Kairo is another movie that does not transplant to America well because the original the people who die come across as burnt shadows on the walls, rather reminscent of the wall in Hiroshima and Nagastaki after the bombings.

The Hungry ghost is based in Asian lore and even trying to explain this American audience or even bring forth the idea makes Japan come across as being afraid of TVs and Videos... I am of course referring Ringu. This is why I will never watch an American remake of Japanese movie. It be like Americans trying to redo Suspira but in English... oh wait... go fucking figure...

Oniya

A 'vengeful' ghost is something that I think Westerners can grasp (it's more or less your classic haunting.)  The 'yearning ghost' is a bit more difficult to translate into horror - although it did fairly well in the movie 'Ghost', and I think 'The Sixth Sense', which weren't exactly horror.  The Entity did a fairly decent job of translating a 'ghost that hungers for something' into something horrific, but again, the 'hunger' was something forceful and unsubtle.

RedPhoenix

I think the problem isn't so much understanding other culture's ghost stories as it is what American movie companies consider a remake.

Here is the formula:

1) Copy story word for word
2) Add a love interest for the main character
3) Add a happy ending.

If you want to see a great example of this, watch The Golden Egg followed up by The Vanishing. Neither are particularly great movies but the American remake completely guts any impact the original had.

someinheritthewealth

Quote from: Oniya on March 03, 2014, 06:02:17 PM
A 'vengeful' ghost is something that I think Westerners can grasp (it's more or less your classic haunting.)  The 'yearning ghost' is a bit more difficult to translate into horror - although it did fairly well in the movie 'Ghost', and I think 'The Sixth Sense', which weren't exactly horror.  The Entity did a fairly decent job of translating a 'ghost that hungers for something' into something horrific, but again, the 'hunger' was something forceful and unsubtle.

Yes but unlike Western Ghosts the Hungry Ghost is usually never able to gain peace because of what happened to them in Western beliefs a ghost can gain peace and move on the happy ending that post below mentions.

I swear though if they put a happy ending in Suspira I will be raging, the girl survives the original but hardly the same.

Oniya

*nods*  Movies where the ghost 'wins' and the victim is lucky to escape with their lives get closer to that archetype.

Quote from: RedPhoenix on March 03, 2014, 06:07:05 PM
If you want to see a great example of this, watch The Golden Egg followed up by The Vanishing. Neither are particularly great movies but the American remake completely guts any impact the original had.

Or one of the black-and-white versions of 'Hunchback of Notre Dame', followed by the Disney version. 

XxDark AngelxX

I'm sure most of you have seen the Human Centipede right? Well I watched it and it wasn't disturbing..I laughed through most of the movie. Anyways, I watched the sequel and god was it horrible. I couldn't even watch the whole thing I slipped through most of it.

RedPhoenix

I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I felt like reading the synopsis was all I needed. Didn't seem like there was much more to the movie than the central idea.

Oniya

Quote from: RedPhoenix on March 03, 2014, 08:06:22 PM
I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I felt like reading the synopsis was all I needed. Didn't seem like there was much more to the movie than the central idea.

This.  I saw the synopsis on 366weirdmovies.  (Which is also a good source for some actually interesting flicks, some of which can be viewed online for free.)

Mathim

Quote from: Oniya on March 03, 2014, 06:27:22 PM
*nods*  Movies where the ghost 'wins' and the victim is lucky to escape with their lives get closer to that archetype.

Or one of the black-and-white versions of 'Hunchback of Notre Dame', followed by the Disney version.

Ghost Ship was kind of like that and worth seeing despite doing very poorly and getting lukewarm reviews. It's like some of those movies where even though the survivor escapes, there's always something that suggests that the malevolent spirit(s) aren't through yet right at the very end.

XxDark AngelxX

Awesome. Well thank you all for the suggestions :3

Mathim

There are some collections out there (Ghost House series and After Dark Horrorfest and whatnot) where the bulk of the films within those are actually quite good. I recommend The Subsitute (I think it's a Danish film); it's about a substitute elementary school teacher who the children suspect is an alien (think tamer version of The Faculty but still well-done). Mulberry Street is a great alternative take on zombie invasions, with rat-mutant zombies as a twist on the normal genre that looks fantastic and is extremely well-made despite its low budget. The Deaths of Ian Stone is also a cool one that has a mystery vibe to it. There's a bunch more. Just look up these series and you'll see all the films listed within them, at least half of the movies are worth watching.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on March 06, 2014, 02:35:56 PM
There are some collections out there (Ghost House series and After Dark Horrorfest and whatnot) where the bulk of the films within those are actually quite good. I recommend The Subsitute (I think it's a Danish film); it's about a substitute elementary school teacher who the children suspect is an alien (think tamer version of The Faculty but still well-done). Mulberry Street is a great alternative take on zombie invasions, with rat-mutant zombies as a twist on the normal genre that looks fantastic and is extremely well-made despite its low budget. The Deaths of Ian Stone is also a cool one that has a mystery vibe to it. There's a bunch more. Just look up these series and you'll see all the films listed within them, at least half of the movies are worth watching.
I thought Mulberry Street was more like a fresh take on the werewolf (were-creature) genre (reason spoilered just in case):

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The ending is not one normally associated with zombie mythos
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Palbatross

My buddy and I are working on a horror script, and we're still in the idea phase.  We're both competent writers who are doing this for fun.  I've been trying to cram horror films, or parts of horror films to internalize the style and feel of horror.  To answer the question this thread poses, I saw most of The Shining, and felt transported to that Kubrickian world of fear that hits so subconsciously.  For example, in one scene the boy is riding his tricycle on the hardwood floors of the hotel, and the focus is on the image of him moving forward, and the loud sound of the hardwood.  Then there are several rugs spaced out about four feet apart, and the sound change to the rug is almost nightmarish in context with the degeneration of the boy's father etc...  I've also seen a bit of Hellraiser, which is awesome.  I'm not a horror guy, so if any die hards want to post about how horror films make them feel in relation to the images, the subtext, whatever.... I would love to peruse your answers and put on your feelings and experiences like a really scary shirt. 

Thanks Everyone

Oniya

Ironically, I've heard that Stephen King wasn't thrilled with Kubrick's interpretation of his novel.  I personally think that it was one of the better King products I've seen/read.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on April 16, 2014, 06:56:03 PM
Ironically, I've heard that Stephen King wasn't thrilled with Kubrick's interpretation of his novel.  I personally think that it was one of the better King products I've seen/read.
He did not like it at all. Honestly, it's okay, but the the book is leaps and bounds better, and that's accounting that I hold the two media under separate lenses. By that I mean King is a better writer that Kubrick a director in this instance.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Crimson Caine

Quote from: Inkidu on April 16, 2014, 07:05:18 PM
He did not like it at all. Honestly, it's okay, but the the book is leaps and bounds better, and that's accounting that I hold the two media under separate lenses. By that I mean King is a better writer that Kubrick a director in this instance.
I don't know about that.  I think accounting for it being a visual medium, I think Kubrick brought a visual element to the storytelling that is so detailed and intricate it actually requires a documentary to point out how much genius went into it.  There's a great documentary, I can't remember the name of it, that was on Netflix, where they detail all the little things and notes that Kubrick put into the film that you never notice.  Ok, looked it up, the doc is Room 237.  It gave me a whole new appreciation for what he did.  I've not been a fan of all his movies but seeing how much detail and then rewatching the film, I think it gave it whole new depth. 

The pious pretense that evil does not exist only makes it vague, enormous and menacing. – Aleister Crowley
CC's O/O
CC's Request Thread
CC's Disappearing Routine (A/A)

DawningBlue

I enjoyed, and got lots of frights from Mama and The Fourth Kind.

Oniya

The film 'Jacob's Ladder' just came to mind.  There's something about the slow progression from 'slightly off-normal' to 'completely off the rails' that always draws me in.

Nachtmahr

Sinister: For some reason, this is the most utterly horrifying movie I have ever seen, and I've got quite the catalog I should like to think. From start to finish this movie truly masters the art of creating an unsettling atmosphere, and by absolutely astonishing audio it keep you on your toes all the way through. It seems to love luring you into these situations where you expect some big, scary monster to pop up on your screen - And your heart races long after you realize that it's just not going to happen!

A must see for anyone who wants something other than just a bundle of cheap jumpscares and cliche monsters and murderers.

Hellraiser 1-3: Absolutely amazing series. Even thought that their old, they have aged far better than most horror films of the same era. Yet when compared to ol' Myers or Jason, Pinhead is quite the hidden gem - The guy unfortunately shoved to the back of the line when it came to getting attention. The movies, especially the first two, are generally based around extremely dark eroticism, with demons who seek to inflict so much pain and pleasure on their victims that they won't be able to tell them apart anymore.

Hellraiser - Bloodlines: If you're feeling adventurous - I actually like this one, but it's very much a hit'n'miss story.

Hellraiser - Deader: If the weird sci-fi themes of Bloodlines isn't your thing, Deader is honestly the only addition to the franchise that feels like it belongs. This is mostly because that most of the later parts of the franchise weren't actually Hellraiser-scripts to begin with, but started out as completely different IP's, which then got Pinhead slapped on the box to sell some extra copies. Hellworld, Revelations, Hellseeker - I wouldn't recommend bothering with them, but if you get really into the series, you might want to. (But.. Yeah, you'd probably be disappointed.)

Insidious: Amazing horror film, with a very interesting and unique twist on a classic ghost story. A series of great twists and turns lead to one of the best cliffhangers I've ever clung to!

Insidious 2: Luckily, unlike me, you won't actually have to wait to have your curiosity satisfied - This film is far more horrifying than the first, but just as great a watch! It'll definitely leave you feeling quite uneasy throughout.
~Await the Dawn With Her Kiss of Redemption, My Firebird!~
~You Were the Queen of the Souls of Man Before There Was the Word~

Mnemaxa

The Shrine.

What you think it is, it isn't,, and what you expect, is turned inside out. 

Not many horror movies can make me do a double take.  This one did and it did it amazingly well.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Inkidu

Quote from: Nachtmahr on May 05, 2014, 02:01:23 AM
Sinister: For some reason, this is the most utterly horrifying movie I have ever seen, and I've got quite the catalog I should like to think. From start to finish this movie truly masters the art of creating an unsettling atmosphere, and by absolutely astonishing audio it keep you on your toes all the way through. It seems to love luring you into these situations where you expect some big, scary monster to pop up on your screen - And your heart races long after you realize that it's just not going to happen!

A must see for anyone who wants something other than just a bundle of cheap jumpscares and cliche monsters and murderers.

This is the only horror movie to give me nightmares as an adult.

Nachtmahr

Quote from: Inkidu on May 05, 2014, 05:08:28 PM
This is the only horror movie to give me nightmares as an adult.

I'm so glad you said that - Boosts my confidence to know that I'm not the only one who felt the urge to curl up into a ball and whimper at night after having watched that masterpiece.

Let me take this moment to once again state just how great Sinister is!

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Nachtmahr on May 05, 2014, 08:15:59 PM
I'm so glad you said that - Boosts my confidence to know that I'm not the only one who felt the urge to curl up into a ball and whimper at night after having watched that masterpiece.

Well...I'll be watching this now. Because I'm apparently addicted to terrifying myself so I can't sleep at night. =)

Nachtmahr

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Nachtmahr on May 05, 2014, 02:01:23 AM
Insidious 2: Luckily, unlike me, you won't actually have to wait to have your curiosity satisfied - This film is far more horrifying than the first, but just as great a watch! It'll definitely leave you feeling quite uneasy throughout.

I had to get my blanket to watch this movie. I couldn't not have something to pull up in front of my eyes. Gahhhhhh!!!

Thanks for the recommendation. =)

Nachtmahr

Mathim

Has anyone seen (or even heard of) Juan of the Dead? It's a Cuban film, in the style of horror comedy like Shaun of the Dead, and it's freaking amazing. It's one of those little-known gems that just tickles you in the right way. The zombies are freaky, there's tension in spite of the comedic nature, the fights are intense, and the comedy is top-notch. Here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOquktXvkT4

EnchantedDream218

The Bay 2012 was a good horror movie to me. The rating on IMDB is pretty low but I enjoyed this movie through out the entire thing. Not sure if Found Footage is something that's up you're alley or not but I found this very disturbing. It's considered a Horror/Thriller/Sci-Fi. Check it out if it's something you'll think you'll enjoy. :)

My List=)

"True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about and few have seen." ~Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Mathim

You can never really trust the imdb rating anyway.

Anyone check out the ABC's of Death? It's one of those anthology things like the Twilight Zone or VHS but with one short scene for each letter of the alphabet.

Thesunmaid

Well I will admit to being a huge fan of horror movies. Freddy Kruger is one of my favorites. But I saw a movie on net flix the other day called Inkubus which has Robert Englund. Good movie as well as one called the traveler with val kilmer.

One that I watched in the theater recently was occulus. It was a pretty good watch although I admit the ending...it felt like all they were doing was trying to keep it open to a sequel. I was a bit disappointed by it. I have no problems with a book or movie ending on a cliffhanger but this one just felt like it was trying too hard.

I still love old gory 80's horror movies. Its my guilty pleasure. The gorier the better. I saw one called dead alive..there was so much blood in that one they were slipping and sliding it in and he used a lawn mower to literally mow down a bunch of zombies. It was great. But pretty much any of the Freddy movies...although I hated the remake...original fright night...new one although I love Colin Farrell just was not as good.

I suppose I am just in the mind set of if the movie was good the first time don't remake it. The second fright night was just painful...charlie and evil ed just..no. I barely made it through the first half.

I also don't like to watch movies that make no sense. I watched one called lovely molly and the ending both my husband and I looked at each other and simply look bewildered.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Mathim

Quote from: thesunmaid on May 25, 2014, 01:37:17 AM
Well I will admit to being a huge fan of horror movies. Freddy Kruger is one of my favorites. But I saw a movie on net flix the other day called Inkubus which has Robert Englund. Good movie as well as one called the traveler with val kilmer.

One that I watched in the theater recently was occulus. It was a pretty good watch although I admit the ending...it felt like all they were doing was trying to keep it open to a sequel. I was a bit disappointed by it. I have no problems with a book or movie ending on a cliffhanger but this one just felt like it was trying too hard.

I still love old gory 80's horror movies. Its my guilty pleasure. The gorier the better. I saw one called dead alive..there was so much blood in that one they were slipping and sliding it in and he used a lawn mower to literally mow down a bunch of zombies. It was great. But pretty much any of the Freddy movies...although I hated the remake...original fright night...new one although I love Colin Farrell just was not as good.

I suppose I am just in the mind set of if the movie was good the first time don't remake it. The second fright night was just painful...charlie and evil ed just..no. I barely made it through the first half.

I also don't like to watch movies that make no sense. I watched one called lovely molly and the ending both my husband and I looked at each other and simply look bewildered.

Were you aware that Dead Alive is one of the early films of the director of the Lord of the Rings movie? Viva la difference!

And I liked the remake of Fright Night way better than the original.