The Order of the Silver Rose D&D 3.5 or freeform interest check.

Started by grovercjuk, May 31, 2012, 03:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grovercjuk

Just to throw an idea in the ring and see if anyone is interested.

General Background.
                     The Order of the Silver Rose is a magical order that has two main beliefs firstly that Magic is neither good nor Evil, it just is and that all magic research should be pursued.  The second thing is that Magic should not be at the beck and call of the authorities and thus the order has always refused to get involved with the authorities.

The order has two main groups, the Magus, the magic users and the Guardians, trained fighter/Rogues who guard the Orders premises and accompany the Magus on their trips.

Game play.

The Order constantly sends out teams to obtain magical items for study back at the various citadels. The basic team is one Magus and one Guardian who are assigned to each other and remain as a team on each mission.

I am looking for three such teams, which at the beginning will be in three separate threads. This is for the following reason, one it will allow the teams to become one before they mix with other teams. And secondly it will hopefully overcome the problem most new games have of players dropping and others waiting for posts that never come.

System.
            Either D&D 3.5 or free form dependent upon which those that wish to play opt to use.

Teams.

One Magus and one guardian, the pairings as regard to gender are up to the players.

Teo Torriatte

I would like to express my interest in playing in this. I could play either a Magus or a Guardian, either one would be female and my starting partner could be a male or a female.

EDIT- And I while I am very familiar with D&D 3.5 and would love to play using that, I would be just as happy with doing it freeform if more people want to do that.

usha

I'd like to throw in my interest for playing a female magus of a pair!

grovercjuk

Cool, seems we maybe have a pair, Usha would you prefer 3.5 or free form as Lunawuff seems happy to play either.

avorae

I would love to get into this as a female guardian. As for my preference for rules I'd  like to go with 3.5.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Monkey

I'll throw my name out for consideration as well. And since there's a free Guardian already, I'd have no problems playing a Magus. I'll keep the combo going and play 3.5 as well.
Born of the Earth, I am the Monkey that ran amok in the Heavenly Palace of the Jade Emperor.

avorae

Quote from: Monkey on June 01, 2012, 08:20:48 PM
I'll throw my name out for consideration as well. And since there's a free Guardian already, I'd have no problems playing a Magus. I'll keep the combo going and play 3.5 as well.

So are you going male or female for your Magus? Not that it matters to me just wonderoing is all.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Muse

May I sign in? 

I'm normally a magiclay active sort, perhaps I'll sign up for a guardian roll. 

(Darn, I was too slow to be partnered with Usha.  ;)  ) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Monkey

I'm planning on a male. And just a quick check, are any and all races open for the game? Or are there restrictions?

P.S: Should Muse want, I'd have no qualms about switching roles with him. I'm more accustomed to playing a fighter anyways.
Born of the Earth, I am the Monkey that ran amok in the Heavenly Palace of the Jade Emperor.

grovercjuk

No pairs are set yet and it would be easier if people matched themselves, so as they say talk amongst yourselves and decide on pairings.

It seems that 3.5 is the more popular option so we will go for that.

usha

I'd be honored to be paired with you Muse, if you're up for it =D We could even swap roles if you'd prefer to be magicky! I'm happy either way!

grovercjuk

Races are open however some races may come with disadvantages in game play, Drow etc.
As we seem to be going for 3.5 then all characters are second level with max HP for each level.
Characters are equipped by the order with reasonable equipment for the level, chain mail or scale for the Guardians etc and 50 gp.
Each Magus has a masterwork dagger given to them upon finishing their training.
Each Guardian has a masterwork weapon of their choice.
They are also given a potion of cure light wounds and neutralize poison.

vanTheMad

I'd love to throw my hat in the ring for this... We've got two Magus and three Guardians, right? I'd love to throw my name in as a male Magus, but I'm frankly okay with any role; male or female, Magus or Guardian. Also I'd love to play 3.5, I'm a huge fan.

If you're a person without a pairing, send me a PM and we can figure out what I should be :)

Teo Torriatte

I spoke to vanTheMad and we will be partnering, I will be playing a female Guardian and he will be playing a male Magus

vanTheMad

I've never used a system on this site, but the dice roller seems simple enough. Is there anything we should keep in mind when making our characters? Like, ability generation method, I guess. Is it rolled or point-buy?

Teo Torriatte

Im just going to use 32 points to start and then adjust it up or down if we are given more or less points.

Muse

Huzzah!  I get to team with Usha.  :) 

A rogue/fighter will be fun.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Teo Torriatte

I am borrowing the basic character sheet format from another game just getting started on here, I hope it is alright. I do have a quick question as well- if she wanted a ranged weapon, would they give her a bow(long or short) or would she need to buy it from the 50gp she starts with?

Name: Jade
Class: Fighter-2
Race: Human
Size: Medium
Sex: Female
Alignment: L-N
Religion:
Appearance: Tall, slender, with pale skin, an athletic tone and long black hair she usually keeps tied out of the way. She has chiseled, almost regal features and deep green eyes.

STR: 16 (+3)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 16 (+3)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 10 (+0)

BAB: +2
HP: 26
INIT: +6
Speed: 20 ft. (in armor)

FORT: +6 = 3 + 3
REF: +2 = 0 + 2
WILL: +0 = 0 + 0

AC: 17 = 10 + 5(armor) + 2(Dex)
Touch AC: 12
Flat AC: 15

Weapon
Masterwork Greatsword, dmg 2d6+4, crit 19-20/x2, 8 lbs., slashing

Weapon
Longbow, dmg 1d8, critx3, range 100 ft., 3 lbs., piercing

Armour
Chainmail, armor 5, max Dex+2, penalty -5, speed 20 ft., 40 lbs.

Shield

Gear Worn

Gear Carried
Potion of Cure Light Wounds
Potion of Neutralize Poison
Quiver of Arrows (20)

Money
50gp

Carrying Capacity (Light): 76 lbs.
Carrying Capacity (Medium): 153 lbs.
Carrying Capacity (Heavy): 230 lbs.

Racial/Class Abilities

Feats
Cleave
Combat Reflexes
Improved Initiative
Power Attack

Skills
Climb(Str) +8
Ride(Dex) +7
Swim(Str) +8

Languages
Common

History
Jade is the daughter of a minor noble. She believes in honor and discipline above all else. Her mother was in the Order before she settled down and married her father, so Jade is following in her footsteps.

grovercjuk

32 point buy is fine.
Both guardians and Magus would be equipped with a melee and a ranged weapon appropriate to their class.
Although in the case of the Magus their masterwork weapon is always a dagger.

vanTheMad

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=60719

Used an outside character sheet, haven't gotten to skills yet, but everything else is pretty much in place.

swordwind

Toss my hat into the ring here as a Guardian. I'll assume this is 3.5 and not some PF hybrid.

grovercjuk

Quote from: swordwind on June 04, 2012, 10:42:46 AM
Toss my hat into the ring here as a Guardian. I'll assume this is 3.5 and not some PF hybrid.

Yes it is 3.5.

Muse

Sixteen years ago, Aurin Alazar and the lady mage Sioban Marten aided a city besieged by hobgoblins and fiends.  In the seventeenth day of the siege Aurin, injured and fatigued, confronted the balor leading the beasts on the north bridge.  with a blade laboriously bespelled by Sioban, he plunged into the demon's fiery aura and drove the blade into its heart. 
   He died in the resulting conflaguration, saving Sioban and leaving his son Marco with a very big set of shoes to fill. 
   Raised by his instructors in the Order of the Silver Rose, he accepted their teachings and took emotional sollace in his father's heroisim and the thought that he, too, migth be a mighty gaurdian one day. 
   As he grew towards his full height, Master Armond ended his instruction in athleticism, combat, deportment and trapfinding and put him to work at a smithy.  He was heartbroken at the thought he must have failed in his studies.  After a few days of despair, he dedicated himself to the discipline of the forge in hopes of restoring himself in his teacher's eyes.  In pumping bellows and hammering iron, he found discipline and serenity he'd lacked.  He also gained great strength. 
   A year later, he was given his father's first sword and taught to use it, then was assinged to the defense of a beautiful sorceress... 

Age   19
Height   6'3" 
Weight   222lbs

Skin   Bronze
Hair:   Black
Eyes:   Grey

Strength   16 +3
DExterity   12 +1
Constitution   14 +2
Intelegence   14 +2
Wisdom      10 +0
CHarisma   12 +1

Hit Points   20

Armor Class:   26   (Buckler +1   Chain Shirt +4   Dexterity +1)

Fortitude   2   +2   =d20+4
Reflex      2   +1   =d20+3
Will      0   +0   =d20+0

Base Attack   +1
--Melee      +4
--Missile   +2

Masterwork Bastard Sword
--TAB      +5
--Damage   d10+3
--Critical   19X2

Composite Shortbow (+3 Strength)
--TAb      +2
--Damage   d6+3
--Critical   20X3
--Range      70'
--Amo      20

Dagger

Class Features: 
--Trap Finding
Sneak Attack +1d6

Feats: 
--Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword
--Power Attack
----Cleave

Skills:
Ballance   0 +1 +0 -2   =d20-1
Climb      4 +3 +0 -2   =d20+5
Craft: Smith   4 +2 +0 +0   =d20+6
Diplomacy   4 +1 +0 +0   =d20+5
Disable Device   4 +2 +0 +0   =d20+6
Hide      4 +1 +0 -2   =d20+3
Jump      5 +3 +0 -2   =d20+7
Move Silently   4 +3 +0 -2   =d20+7
Open Locks   4 +1 +0 +0   =d20+5
Search      4 +2 +0 +0   =d20+6
Sense Motive   4 +0 +0 +0   =d20+4
Spot      4 +0 +0 +0   =d20+4
Tumble      4 +1 +2 -2   =d20+5

Magical Items: 
Potion of Cure Light Wounds
Potion of Neutralize Poison

Gear: 
Backpack
Bedroll and Winter Blanket
Explorer's OutfitX2
Flint and Steel
Soap
Sun Rods X5
Tinder Twig X4

Gold   20.5

Gold   1
Silver   5
Copper   10

grovercjuk

Nice to see that people are getting themselves sorted with characters and pairings.

To start with I thought that each team can choose an assignment out of three. (First come, first served basis of course. )

This is the start thread,
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=142246.0

Under each assignment there is the link to the opening post so that you may get a flavor of the assignment  prior to making a choice.

And of course the OOC thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=142247.0

Muse

Grover, were you expecting Wizards for the Magi?  Or will a sorceress work?