What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Anti Vaccine parents cause death of their toddler when they instead decided an herbal remedy was the true path to healing after the child contracted Meningitis. I didn't even think Meningitis still existed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-toddler-got-meningitis-his-anti-vac-parents-gave-him-an-herbal-remedy-the-toddler-died-now-his-parents-are-on-trial/ar-BBqC4eF?li=BBnba9J&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

*sigh* this just makes me...ugh....

Oniya

Yes, Meningitis still exists.  Viral is a bit more common than bacterial, though - bacterial meningitis tends to strike the immunocompromised, like AIDS patients, transplant recipients, and pre-immunized infants.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 18, 2016, 10:37:10 PM
In one of the strangest hauls of lost books in the last few decades,  an entire library on occultism, black magic and witchcraft and their history which was gathered up by none other than Heinrich Himmler has been found in a secret storage depot belonging to the Czech national library in Prague; the depot had not really been used since the 1950s and it was all but forgotten. 13.000 volumes in all, from really old (the late middle ages?) to the early 20th century. Like many early adopter Nazis, Himmler dabbled in occultism and black magic, and he had an idea that the witch hunts represented an effort by the Roman Catholic church to suppress the remains of "Aryan religion"...  ::) - so he was specially interested in witches.

During the war people like Himmler and Göring had ample opportunities to indulge in collecting the books they wanted for free, from the very people Himmler and the SS had deported. Himmler was planning to set up his special black magic library at a castle he had taken over in western Germany, but the books ended up being stored near Prague instead.

This is enchantingly bizarre, but it's not the only find of its kind - there's been a series of efforts in Europe in later years to locate books and art that was stolen by the Nazis (mostly from jews and other people who were deported) and restore these to the heirs of those who once owned them.

Okay, it's an interesting occurence, but the article itself is painfully bad. Himmler was not involved in "devil worship"! And his hatred toward the Catholic Church wasn't because of witch hunts...

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on March 19, 2016, 01:06:15 PM
Okay, it's an interesting occurence, but the article itself is painfully bad. Himmler was not involved in "devil worship"! And his hatred toward the Catholic Church wasn't because of witch hunts...

Yes, the article is spotty. Some of it was copied from the Daily Mail I think, or there's a common non-UK source they both used, but Ididn't want to link to that rag the DM.  :D The basic story of the circumstances of the find looks accurate though.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Kythia

In this week's installment of "How on earth did no one see this coming?":

Britain is making a new science vessel.  We held an online poll to decide the name for it.

We'll soon have the Royal Research Ship Boaty McBoatface

Really, we should go with it.  It's the only way we'll ever learn to stop having stupid online polls to name things.

Oniya

Quote from: Kythia on March 20, 2016, 06:41:56 AM
In this week's installment of "How on earth did no one see this coming?":

Britain is making a new science vessel.  We held an online poll to decide the name for it.

We'll soon have the Royal Research Ship Boaty McBoatface

Really, we should go with it.  It's the only way we'll ever learn to stop having stupid online polls to name things.

'NAME OUR SHIP IS CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING A HIGH VOLUME OF TRAFFIC

Our website is currently experiencing an extremely high volume of traffic. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. This team of penguins are doing their best to fix the problem! Please try again later.'  XD
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Cycle

Quote from: Kythia on March 20, 2016, 06:41:56 AM
We held an online poll to decide the name for it.

Yeah.  You'd think they would have figured out that allowing folks on the internet to make decisions is going to get you silly results...

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Oniya on March 20, 2016, 09:50:15 AM
'NAME OUR SHIP IS CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING A HIGH VOLUME OF TRAFFIC
I'd vote for "is currently experiencing a high volume of traffic" in a "name our ship" poll.  ;D
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 19, 2016, 11:33:56 AM
Anti Vaccine parents cause death of their toddler when they instead decided an herbal remedy was the true path to healing after the child contracted Meningitis. I didn't even think Meningitis still existed.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-toddler-got-meningitis-his-anti-vac-parents-gave-him-an-herbal-remedy-the-toddler-died-now-his-parents-are-on-trial/ar-BBqC4eF?li=BBnba9J&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

*sigh* this just makes me...ugh....

I wonder if the company pushing these quack cures bears any of the blame. It sounds like the couple was smart enough to know to bring their child to a "real" doctor when things got bad enough (sadly, not soon enough), but were perhaps nursing this believe that these quack remedies would work.

gaggedLouise

Can't help imagining Obama's daughters saying teasingly: "Come on, dad, why can't we all get to meet old Fidel?". The Cuba visit is historic as it is, but a face-to-face meeting between Obama and Fidel Castro would have capped it.

TaintedAndDelish

This is a country that worked with Russians to try to get us nuked in the 60's.  That's a lot of crap to just hand wave away like it doesn't matter, or like it's just water under the bridge. While the citizens are not to blame, the same family is still running Cuba. I doubt their views have changed much since then.

TheGlyphstone

Keep in mind that those views are 'what's good for the Castros is good for Cuba'. They sided with Russia in the 60's when the Soviets were as strong as we were; shared bonds of Communism are all well and good, but practically the Soviet Union was willing to shell out aid to Cuba because it gave them a strategic holdout in the Western hemisphere if the Cold War turned hot. Now, Russia is both far weaker, and focused primarily on affairs in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Plus, they don't even have the Communist link to supposedly bind them. Now it's entirely in the Castro's interests to cozy up to America instead, if America will deal with them - and we will, because Cuba is a huge potential trading market.

As for water under the bridge...we're great friends with Vietnam these days, and that was a far bigger conflict/cost to us than anything Cuba ever did. Similarly, Japan is one of our strongest Asian allies, and they actually did attack us during WW2. Holding 50+ year old grudges just isn't productive.

gaggedLouise

Old Bob McNamara was there a long time ago, took part in a dinner with Castro and other invitees, even some kind of symposium I think, and the two men discussed the Cuban missile crisis when they had been on opposite sides of the nuclear chessboard. I would recommend anyone to see the documentary movie The Fog of War where McNamara is talking about war, strategy, risks and reason with the experience of a lifetime at his hands.

I would agree there isn't much point in sticking with fifty-year old grudges. The US has been doing deals with communist China and Vietnam for a long time, and there's massive trade of course, even though China is still run by the communist party and these days they're a much more globally powerful nation than they ever were back in the sixties.

Annie Hewitt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3498773/As-healthy-beautiful-proving-naysayers-wrong-Mother-Jahi-McMath-declared-brain-dead-doctors-two-years-ago-shares-new-photo-warrior.html

Jahi McMath was pronounced brain dead two years ago after a going into cardiac arrest during a routine surgery. Her mother just released photos of her "healthy and beautiful as ever". I swear, I will haunt my family if they do this to me. It's one of the many reasons I have a living will.
On/Offs- A MUST Read.   Do You Tumbl? I do.

“Had I not created my whole world, I would certainly have died in other people’s. ”
― Anaïs Nin

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Annie Hewitt on March 20, 2016, 11:22:18 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3498773/As-healthy-beautiful-proving-naysayers-wrong-Mother-Jahi-McMath-declared-brain-dead-doctors-two-years-ago-shares-new-photo-warrior.html

Jahi McMath was pronounced brain dead two years ago after a going into cardiac arrest during a routine surgery. Her mother just released photos of her "healthy and beautiful as ever". I swear, I will haunt my family if they do this to me. It's one of the many reasons I have a living will.

.....I don't have one but this makes me want one now. Just in case.

Annie Hewitt

Quote from: Lustful Bride on March 21, 2016, 08:51:22 AM
.....I don't have one but this makes me want one now. Just in case.

I made one after Teri Schiavo back in 2005. I was determined no one would do that to me. The ONLY exception of keeping me on a vent is if an organ recipient needs more time for whatever reason  (but that would be the ONLY reason- once things are squared away, unplug me, harvest my organs, and let that be it.)

“Had I not created my whole world, I would certainly have died in other people’s. ”
― Anaïs Nin

Annie Hewitt

http://q13fox.com/2016/03/18/jeremy-hudgens-worst-of-the-worst-sex-offender-convicted-of-child-rape-missing-in-chelan-county/

IF you or your family/friends/loved ones live in Washington State, please take a look at this link. A level three sex offender is missing (IE: failed to register and is non-compliant with law enforcement). He was convicted of child rape and needs to be found ASAP. If you are in the area, please take extra precautions especially if you have children.

― Anaïs Nin

gaggedLouise

Several people killed, according to Reuters, in two sudden explosions at the departure hall of Brussels airport. This sounds bad, especially coming the day after one of the key persons behnd the Paris attacks was arrested in the same city. According to one Belgian news agency, words "in Arabic" were heard spoken just before the first blast. :(

Renegade Vile

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 22, 2016, 03:14:21 AM
Several people killed, according to Reuters, in two sudden explosions at the departure hall of Brussels airport. This sounds bad, especially coming the day after one of the key persons behnd the Paris attacks was arrested in the same city. According to one Belgian news agency, words "in Arabic" were heard spoken just before the first blast. :(

I just got in at work and got this lovely bit of news. It was only a matter of time, honestly, since local law enforcement has been cracking down hard on all the bad neighborhoods in and around Brussels for months since the Paris attacks now. Retaliation was inevitable. Maybe now they'll realize you have to do this quaint little thing called 'screening' before just letting people in, Muslim or otherwise.
As for any new information, still waiting on more, but so far one death is possible, and 11 injuries. One news outlet claims 11 dead but this hasn't been confirmed yet. Additionally, witness accounts claim some shots were fired, followed by words in Arabic, and then two explosions. All of this is also not confirmed yet. Apparently more bombs were found so the airport is evacuated, flights moved elsewhere and disposal teams are working on clearing the airport.

My parents live right near Brussels and my brother works near the metro station that got attacked as well in Maalbeek so this hits a little close to home.

Let's hope they step up their crackdown and finally clean up not just the capital but the country, as the amount of terrorist attacks abroad that can be traced back to this little cesspool of a country is embarrassing and mortifying.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Delirium147

Like Renegade Vile, I too am shocked by what is happening. For me this hits close to home as well, being Belgian. Quick update on the explosions in Brussels (I'm following the events as best as I can, as reported by our own news services):

Two or three explosions at Brussels Airport (Zaventem) and the metro station of Maalbeek. Things are still unclear and there might have been a third or even fourth explosion. Some sources also claim they heard gunshots and shouting in Arabic at the airport attacks. Most of the air traffic has been rerouted to Frankfurt.

Police, military and emergency services are on the scene in large numbers. Public transport has been shut down, save for those buses engaged in ferrying out evacuees. People are being evacuated from the sites. Brussels and Belgium as a whole are on a lockdown.

Concerning victim numbers: these vary between 10 and more than 30, fatalities unfortunately. The most recent count talks about 11 dead at Brussels Airport and at least 10 in the metrostation. There are at least 35 wounded. Not a lot is known so far, as one can imagine.

For those that want to know more, here is an English article from the Guardian.
Currently looking for: /

Ons & Offs
Request Thread
A&As
Available on Discord.

Lustful Bride

The problem is that so long as Isis has a solid foothold to call their own these attacks will continue. They have a safe haven to rest and rearm as sell as to get more training and recruits into their employ.

We aren't fighting just some ragged insurgency hiding in caves and basements, these extremists have factories, oil fields, armaments and training camps. They have bases and recruitment drives. We need to march into their strongholds together and tear them down.

They have to be fought conventionally and with counterinsurgency tactics until not a single Isis flag flies anywhere.

Its basically what was said once. "We have to fight them over there so we don't fight them over here."

The problem is, if we do fight them it will be the Iraq war 2.0 the same shit different day.

Oniya

A man in Seattle has climbed an 80-foot sequoia in the middle of town and is refusing to come down.  http://komonews.com/news/local/man-trapped-at-top-of-tall-tree-in-downtown-seattle-rescue-launched

And an honest-to-goodness 'masked crusader' is planning to come down and help.  https://twitter.com/ThePhoenixJones

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 23, 2016, 07:59:23 AM
Syrian refugee passers-by render aid to a neo-Nazi politician after he crashes his car.

Hopefully reminds people not everyone's a mad terrorist. Doesn't take away the fact that opening the flood gates was a bad idea...
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Anteros

Quote from: Avis habilis on March 23, 2016, 07:59:23 AM
Syrian refugee passers-by render aid to a neo-Nazi politician after he crashes his car.
I really hope this will help some people realize that most refugees are just normal, decent folk and not a threat to their way of lfe or whatever.
ONS & OFFS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14923.0

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA