News:

Main Menu

Alzatraz cacelled

Started by Lord of Shadows, May 17, 2012, 04:38:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord of Shadows

There will be no season 2 for Alzatraz all over the net the news of that Fox has killed the series and now the big question is if they will let us know what really happened in the end of season 1 or not.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/alcatraz-cancelled-season-two-22917/

Callie Del Noire

Well shit.  So much for non reality TV.  I saw it coming though sadly enough. Monday's and Friday's are hard slots.

Aiden

That sucks, i liked this series.

Inkidu

Quote from: Lord of Shadows on May 17, 2012, 04:38:45 AM
There will be no season 2 for Alzatraz all over the net the news of that Fox has killed the series and now the big question is if they will let us know what really happened in the end of season 1 or not.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/alcatraz-cancelled-season-two-22917/
No wonder, it's Fox. You have to understand, Fox hates money. They like canceling all the popular shows. Alien Nation, The Good Guys, hell they canceled Family Guy twice, and then brought it back anyway. Their sweeps week is run by slightly inebriated spider monkeys.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on May 17, 2012, 12:44:51 PM
No wonder, it's Fox. You have to understand, Fox hates money. They like canceling all the popular shows. Alien Nation, The Good Guys, hell they canceled Family Guy twice, and then brought it back anyway. Their sweeps week is run by slightly inebriated spider monkeys.

Here is my theory.. (given the killing of good series and some REALLY funky scheduling things I've seen them do over the years).. there are a few execs who want to control things..and when it doesn't go their way,, they demand certain things be done (like the Firefly pilot not being the first show because it was too 'boring' to start the series) or shift shows around with little or no notice.

They can justify cancelling a scripted show and fill it with a high earning 1/2 season reality show that is almost set to be cheaper, pull in lots of ad revenue and have a quick surge of ratings. You get a quick 1/2 season jump and look good because you're not paying for a full tv series and you can always hire someone new if the reality tv thing works or  option a new series pilot if it doesn't.

http://i.adultswim.com/adultswim/video2/tools/swf/viralplayer.swf

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on May 17, 2012, 12:44:51 PM

How do you leave Firefly off of a list like this? D:
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Malthas

It was a poor show and it got poor ratings so it being cancelled is hardly unexpected.   

Kind of sunk fast for a JJ show which is a rarity I believe.
Make them quiver.  Make them beg.   Make them belong.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Malthas on May 18, 2012, 02:52:07 AM
It was a poor show and it got poor ratings so it being cancelled is hardly unexpected.   

I really hope you are not talking about Firefly....
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Shjade

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 18, 2012, 03:22:15 AM
I really hope you are not talking about Firefly....

I think that would be a JW show. I dunno who JJ is.
◕/◕'s

Lilias

Quote from: Shjade on May 18, 2012, 09:30:34 AM
I think that would be a JW show. I dunno who JJ is.

J.J. Abrams, executive producer and composer for Alcatraz.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Malthas on May 18, 2012, 02:52:07 AM

It was aired out of sequence, misrepresented as an action comedy, and was constantly being preempted for sports events when it was on the air. I saw like two TV ads for it in prime time, aknd I was doing 60 days of duty at the time. I sat in an office and answered phones for 8 hours a day.

I saw similar treatment by fox of The Tick.

JW, and Matt Greonig, both had run away successful shows for fox that year but had TV execs at Fox CONSTANTLY interfering with their new shows. (Futuramma and Firefly)

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on May 18, 2012, 01:22:14 AM
How do you leave Firefly off of a list like this? D:
I kind of missed Firefly, it was there, it was popular, it was gone. Just like that. I'm catching reruns, but the show I associate Nathan Fillion with is Castle. I didn't even know it was a Fox show it was gone so fast.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 10:03:52 AM
I kind of missed Firefly, it was there, it was popular, it was gone. Just like that. I'm catching reruns, but the show I associate Nathan Fillion with is Castle. I didn't even know it was a Fox show it was gone so fast.

It was kind of easy to miss, given the hinky schedule, preempts and I think a time slot change for what the ten or eleven eps aired?

Joss still has one series to go with his contract with Fox, and I wonder what it will be like.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on May 18, 2012, 10:03:52 AM

They've made a fair number of Firefly references on Castle, amusingly enough.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Quote from: Shjade on May 18, 2012, 10:34:29 AM
They've made a fair number of Firefly references on Castle, amusingly enough.
Off topic: Probably because they got most of the writers who worked on Firefly.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Shjade

◕/◕'s

Remy

I enjoyed the first few episodes of Alcatraz , but tired of it quickly.  There was just something missing.

Off topic, I'm still amazed that anyone could cancel firefly and not be getting an ass kicking daily.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Remy on May 22, 2012, 09:51:20 AM
I enjoyed the first few episodes of Alcatraz , but tired of it quickly.  There was just something missing.

Off topic, I'm still amazed that anyone could cancel firefly and not be getting an ass kicking daily.

Uh, I can.  Firefly has a small, but rabid, fanbase.  It's not big enough to actually make enough money for other networks to consider buying it.  Just because it's vocal, doesn't make it large, or important for that matter.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

And apparently the costs of production were pretty high when compared to most other shows. Business decisions often, sadly, do not directly correlate to a show's entertainment value. :|
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on May 22, 2012, 03:56:00 PM
And apparently the costs of production were pretty high when compared to most other shows. Business decisions often, sadly, do not directly correlate to a show's entertainment value. :|

A lot of those costs were set design, which tend to taper off over seasons. I mean look at Dollhouse, almost a 2/3rds of their initial setup was the 'House.

Chris Brady

The fan base wasn't big enough to justify the costs, Callie, it's great that it was loved, but it wasn't Buffy or even Angel level of fans.  And even now, with more people having access to the shows,via online and DVD sales, it is still not much bigger than it was.