Pathfinder Adventurers Guild [No Longer Seeking]

Started by PhantomPistoleer, October 24, 2018, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomPistoleer

The group is seeking a cleric or healer of some kind.

The Adventurers Guild[/
Game Description:

This game follows the adventures of an established but unseasoned team of adventurers through various adventure modules.  Characters are expected to be loyal to each other and driven to discover secrets, right wrongs, and amass fortunes.  The game takes place in Golarion, with players free to choose “where to go,” so long as I have a module for it.

Available Adventures:

• Crypt of the Everflame (1st)
  • Into the Haunted Forest (1st)
  • Hangman's Noose (1st)
  • Murder’s Mark (1st)
  • The Dragon’s Demand (1st)
  • The Godsmouth Heresy (1st)
  • Crown of the Kobold King (2nd)
  • Masks of the Living God (3rd)
  • The Feast of Ravenmoor (3rd)
  • Broken Chains (4th)
  • River Into Darkness (4th)
  • The Midnight Mirror (4th)
  • Carrion Hill (5th)
  • Tower of the Last Baron (5th)
  • Tears of Bitter Manor (5th)
  • City of Golden Death (5th)
  • Entombed with the Pharoahs (6th)
  • Hungry Are the Dead (6th)
  • From Shore to Sea (6th)
  • Fangwood Keep (6th)
  • Conquest of Bloodsworn Vale (6th)
  • Realm of the Fell-Night Queen (7th)
  • Seven Swords of Sin (7th)
  • Treasure of Chimera Cove (7th)
  • Crucible of Chaos (8th)
  • The Pact Stone Pyramid (8th)
  • Gallery of Evil (8th)
  • Flight of the Red Raven (8th)
  • No Response from Deepmar (8th)
  • Cult of the Ebon Destroyers (8th)
  • Vault of Souls (9th)
  • The Harrowing (9th)
  • Doom Comes to Dustpawn (9th)
  • Clash of the Kingslayers (10th)
  • Curse of the Riven Sky (10th)
  • The Demon Within (11th)
  • Guardians of Dragonfall (12th)
  • Wardens of the Reborn Forge (12th)
  • Academy of Secrets (13th)
  • Tomb of the Iron Medusa (14th)
  • Blood of the Dragonscar (15th)
  • The Moonscar (16th)
  • The Witchtar Legacy (17th)

Characters will have to travel across Golarion to reach adventures, and it will sometimes take days, weeks, or months to arrive to a destination.  To that end, I'm instituting a very simple rule to cover the logistics of moving a character from one end of Golarion to another.

Travel Cost/Day: 

• 1gp/Day: The character is well-fed and well-rested throughout the journey;
  • 5sp/Day: The character is fatigued by the time he arrives to his destination, and will require a week to recuperate from the journey;
  • 1sp/Day: The character is exhausted by the time he arrives to his destination, and is ill. (Roll for random disease)

The journey can be hurried by paying extra money to get from one place to another.  This essentially means that the player has hired a carriage, or a boat, or what have you, to make the travel less burdensome.

Travel Multiplier:

• 5gp/Day: The journey is expedited by a factor of 10.
  • 3gp/Day: The journey is expedited by a factor of 5.
  • 1gp/Day: The journey is expidited by a factor of 2.

Of course, the party can mitigate and defray travel expenses by hunting or foraging for food in the wild or by working using their professions or craft skills.  Ideally, players should travel from place A to place B with numerous stops planned along the way.

Characters Desired:
Players assume IC and OOC roles in the game.  The IC roles are:

1.  Frontline (Striker) (Taken)
2.  Frontline (Defender) (Taken)
3.  Traps Expert (Taken)
4.  Ranged Expert (Taken)
5.  Arcane
6.  Divine
7.  Chronicler (GM character).

The OOC roles are:

1.  Group Leader
2.  Accountant (Taken)
3.  Master-at-Arms (Taken)
4.  Litigator (Taken)
5.  Accumulator
6.  Field Leader. (Taken)

The IC roles are self-explanatory, but the OOC roles require some explanation.  The group leader settles IC and OOC  disputes and helps drive the game forward by pushing characters and players forward.  Other characters and players must listen and accept the group leader’s decisions.  This position requires a temparate and judicious player/character.

The accountant keeps track of earned income in the form of currency, art, or other bartered goods.  The accountant can quickly and accurately estimate valuable goods.  This position requires a very honest player/character.

The master-at-arms maintains and accumulates all weapons and armor necessary to handle any situation.  Furthermore, discovered items come into his possession, and it is his duty to fairly distribute such items in a fair manner.  This position requires a very fair player/character.

The litigator argues on behalf of other players re: the rules.  Among his or her duties are ensuring that character creation rules are adequately followed.  This position requires a very knowledgable player/character.

The accumulator keeps track of XP, rewards, and post counts.  This position requires a very attentive player/character.

The field leader keeps track of current conditions, enemies, and other semantics during encounters.  This position is vital.

Furthermore, all players will have a combat buddy.  Though this will be discussed further at length later, your combat buddy’s main responsibility is to take over your character if you cannot post.

Character Creation:
The rules for character creation are:

Attributes:  25 Point Buy
Races:  Human, elf, half-elf, or half-orc
Classes:  Paizo, but with further restrictions
Level:  3, Gestalt
HP:  Max
GP:  Communal 35,000 (5,000 x 7)
Traits:  2
BG Skills:  Yes

Restrictions:  Please follow the three following guidelines. 

1.  Do not make complicated characters.  Keep things simple.  No one likes assuming the role of a mechanically complex character while you are gone.

2.  Do not make characters who overly complicate things during a turn.  Make my life as GM as simple as possible.  I will not indulge summoners outright.  Players are limited to control one, and only one, extra creature during their turns, but if I am being honest, I prefer characters without supporting creatures.

3.  Do not overcreate your character.  Do not overplan it.  Do not overdescribe it.  Do not think ahead ten levels.  Just don't.

Rules

Obviously, this is a Pathfinder game.  However, things are going to be different.  Here are some of the differences:

• NO initiative.  Instead, players will organize themselves accordingly: BEGIN ROUND: THREE ALLIES, 1/2 ENEMIES, FOUR ALLIES, 1/2 ENEMIES, END ROUND.
  • SURPRISE rounds.  Players who roll a higher than 20 initiative will get to act in a surprise round automatically.  Enemies do not get this benefit.  Characters who act in the surprise round are not flat-footed during their turn in the first round of combat.
  • COUP DE GRAS.  Coup de gras is a special action that starts and ends upon the same turn.
  • NO DELAY.  Characters cannot delay their actions to move into a different initiative block.  However, characters may swap with one another.  Characters can skip their turns.
  • NO PREP.  Characters may not establish conditions precedent for their action.  For example, actions like, "My character will do such and such if another character enters this square" are not permitted.  Some actions, like bracing for a charge, may be performed as a swift action during your turn (however, you cannot draw the bracing weapon to brace for the charge--the bracing weapon must already be in your hands).
  • NO OVERLY COMPLICATED ACTIONS.  Whatever action that must be performed must be performed within a window of six seconds.  With that in mind, whatever you do, please do not perform actions that are overly complicated.  Also, this is what area spells look like:

Conventions and stuff go here.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Chreestafer

I am definitely interested! Love playing the pathfinder (3.75) system!

I'd like to put my hat in the ring for my current table top character I use in real life.  His name is Snow, he's a cleric who may ot may not be drunk more often than not. I'd also be interested in the master at arms position.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Elven Sex Goddess

Like to throw my hat into it.   

Dalea River
  Half-Elf / Lawful Good
  HP: 36 AC:  17

Brief History: Dalea has from a youth trained in a monastery in the way of becoming a unchained monk.   Unique as she also while being raised within the monastery has affinity with nature and she naturally took to also being a shifter.  With her first aspect being that of a owl.   Dalea has joined the Pathfinder's Adventurer's Guild.    She is courageous and often the first in.  In a hidden and silent deadly hunter quality.

Birth Date:  31st of Erastus / 19 years old

IC Role:   Frontline (Striker) (Hunter, Scout)

OOC Role:  Field Leader

Relations with others:   Friends perhaps a mate (spouse)

Character Sheet:  Gelstalt (Unchained Monk / Shifter)

Adult Scenarios:  Kissing, petting, non intercourse, unless has a mate (husband).  Idea mate is dominant alpha.  (A mate is considered if and when some one copulates with her and spills his seed in her. However to get to this point, she must have a connection.  Someone who she can connect on a emotional level, drawn physically, otherwise she will be chaste in a relationship.)   

PhantomPistoleer

Thank you for the interest.  Either by today or tomorrow, I hope to have a brief blurb about how to submit a character to the game.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

PhantomPistoleer

This isn't a bump.  My thread just got a little unwieldy.

Calendar:

This is the Golarion Calendar.  The game will start in the beginning of Spring.

Golarion MonthGregorian MonthDays in MonthSeason
Abadius (ah-BAY-dee-us)(January)31 daysWinter
Calistril (KAHL-izz-trihl)(February)28 daysWinter
Pharast (fah-RAHST)(March)31 daysSpring
Gozran (GOHZ-ran)(April)30 daysSpring
Desnus (DEZ-nuhs)(May)31 daysSpring
Sarenith (sa-REHN-ihth)(June)30 daysSummer
Erastus (eh-RAS-tuhs)   (July)31 daysSummer
Arodus (AIR-oh-duhs)(August)31 daysSummer
Rova (ROH-va)(September)30 daysFall
Lamashan (lah-MAHSH-ahn)   (October)31 daysFall
Neth (NEHTH)(November)30 daysFall
Kuthona (koo-THOH-nah)(December)31 daysWinter

Character Submission

Please make character submissions accordingly.  I will be making decisions as I go.  I'm not waiting for some date uncertain to choose characters.

Wenceslas "Winnie" Bordeaux
Chronicler, Journalist, and World Traveler.
CHARACTER SHEET.  HP: #; AC: #.

Brief History:  The history should be brief.  Winnie here is a journalist who has been allowed to follow along with a rag-tag group of adventurers.  He's originally from Port Ice.

Birth Date:  Fifth of Arodus (20 years old).

IC Role:  Chronicler.  Sometimes, it's unclear where your character falls.  After all, a frontline fighter might be as equally good at striking as he is at defending.  If your character can fall under two different role categories, list both of them.

OOC Role:  GM.  You can't be the GM!  But you can be anything else.  Please list any position that you're interested in doing.  We will decide who does what as a group once characters have been selected.

Relations with Others:  You can establish relations with others here.  Please be succinct.  You can be family, friends, lovers, rivals, etc.

Character Sheet:  Human Bard/Investigator (Probably).

Adult Scenarios:  Though the game isn't focused on sex, characters will be permitted to have adult relationships or indulge in adult scenarios.  Winnie is saving his virginity for marriage, but sometimes he has a real rough time of it.  As a player, I would like to see scenarios where this is a real struggle.

About Character Sheet

On the subject of character sheets, I only accept myth-weavers or text-based sheets on E.  Under no circumstances should you use Google Docs or any other text-based website.  Incidentally, there is no expectation that you complete a character sheet prior to approval.

Conventions

• This game will use a map.
  • This game will be fast-paced.
  • This game will require players to minimize the length of their posts to the essential.

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

ChaoticSky

Sounds interesting, but a few questions;
-Any particular reason for the race restrictions? No dwarves or gnomes? Halflings i get because they look like children, but why the dorf hate?  :P
-gestalts that arnt mechanically complex? o_o Thats pretty hard to do! Normally you pick classes that synergize well, which requires a good grasp of each class and what they bring to each other.
-minimize posts? what does that mean? you just want a few lines each?

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: ChaoticSky on October 27, 2018, 01:52:53 PM
Sounds interesting, but a few questions;
-Any particular reason for the race restrictions? No dwarves or gnomes? Halflings i get because they look like children, but why the dorf hate?  :P

I just don’t like them in adult games.

Quote-gestalts that arnt mechanically complex? o_o Thats pretty hard to do! Normally you pick classes that synergize well, which requires a good grasp of each class and what they bring to each other.

I won’t draw a clear line rule about what is complex and what isn’t.  I will know it when I see it.  However, I think any moderate issues can be resolved with a guide of sorts that explains the mechanisms of the character.

Quote-minimize posts? what does that mean? you just want a few lines each?

I have a number of issues with long posts.  I would like for players to be less artistic with their prose when making actions that must be ruled upon.  When addressing me, I have found that I highly prefer direct, simple, and obvious language, so that I might in turn make quick, fair, and efficient rulings.

When characters interact with one another, they are free to be as longwinded as they want.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

Hi Phantom :)

I really like the idea of being such a guild-centered group, of a small team growing together, and really focusing on the basics of Pathfinder, step by step, to keep it simple so that any weirdness-- which is somewhat inevitable-- will be unexpected, unplanned, and awesome.

On the other hand, the idea of having a role that the other players and the DM expect me to manage solo is a little intimidating... that said, I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

This is an off-the-wall kind of idea, but what about a defender or cleric type combined with the accountant role?  I hate to waste the opportunity to go all MAD-MAX with a gestalt opportunity, but it kind of makes sense.  Imagining a squeaky-clean, armored, bright-eyed girl with a banged-up shield, a bit gregarious, who just kind of babbles out loud the value of jewels they spot-- local thieves following the party around would hear her absently chattering about how that nobleman's necklace is obviously made of gilded paste and glass and only worth about 2 silver for the workmanship... or harassing a fruit vendor because "no madam, I know we saved your husband from goblins but your grapes are worth SEVEN coppers not FIVE--"

Another is to go trap-monkey and accountant, with either a ranged fighter, zen archer, or ranger?  Someone who was raised in a horrible home life, among thieves, liars, backstabbers, dog-cussers, etc. but who always wanted to be an adventurer and get out of that life.  Well, she got out of the black-markets and back alleys the hard way--  via incarceration.  Maybe, with DM approval, the terms of her release included she be branded with an arcane mark that inflicts "Touch of Truthtelling" on her indefinitely... now that's a shitty thing to do to a thief.  "I like this ring.  I want to keep it."  "Why?"  "Because it's worth a lot of coins."  "How much."  "..."  "Damnit, how much?"  "A lot.  Like, 500 Gold."  "Are you serious?! What else is there?"  "A potion of invisibility.  I tried to hide it in my pocket so I could sneak off with this ring later.  *sigh*"

Any of this sounding ok?  One more or less fun than the other?

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on October 27, 2018, 04:37:50 PM
Hi Phantom :)

I really like the idea of being such a guild-centered group, of a small team growing together, and really focusing on the basics of Pathfinder, step by step, to keep it simple so that any weirdness-- which is somewhat inevitable-- will be unexpected, unplanned, and awesome.

On the other hand, the idea of having a role that the other players and the DM expect me to manage solo is a little intimidating... that said, I'm more than willing to give it a shot.

This is an off-the-wall kind of idea, but what about a defender or cleric type combined with the accountant role?  I hate to waste the opportunity to go all MAD-MAX with a gestalt opportunity, but it kind of makes sense.  Imagining a squeaky-clean, armored, bright-eyed girl with a banged-up shield, a bit gregarious, who just kind of babbles out loud the value of jewels they spot-- local thieves following the party around would hear her absently chattering about how that nobleman's necklace is obviously made of gilded paste and glass and only worth about 2 silver for the workmanship... or harassing a fruit vendor because "no madam, I know we saved your husband from goblins but your grapes are worth SEVEN coppers not FIVE--"

Another is to go trap-monkey and accountant, with either a ranged fighter, zen archer, or ranger?  Someone who was raised in a horrible home life, among thieves, liars, backstabbers, dog-cussers, etc. but who always wanted to be an adventurer and get out of that life.  Well, she got out of the black-markets and back alleys the hard way--  via incarceration.  Maybe, with DM approval, the terms of her release included she be branded with an arcane mark that inflicts "Touch of Truthtelling" on her indefinitely... now that's a shitty thing to do to a thief.  "I like this ring.  I want to keep it."  "Why?"  "Because it's worth a lot of coins."  "How much."  "..."  "Damnit, how much?"  "A lot.  Like, 500 Gold."  "Are you serious?! What else is there?"  "A potion of invisibility.  I tried to hide it in my pocket so I could sneak off with this ring later.  *sigh*"

Any of this sounding ok?  One more or less fun than the other?

Either idea is fine, though I think that the group would strongly prefer for the thief to be a bit more dishonest.  This could be something that the group works on.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

firepyre

I'd like to put my hat in again. I was having a ball last time, right up to the player implosion. If possible I'd like to stick with the same character(Salvador) too, reset to lvl 1 and, I guess, reskinned to human.

He'd probably fill the ranged expert role, and I'd prefer the litigator job myself. I'm pretty comfortable handling the crunch involved with gestalts.

@Chaotic: Way I interpret it, the short and sweet thing is generally fine if you just bold text your abridged actions before your longer fluffier RP. Not so much to intended to stifle creativity as it is to cut down on the GM having to interpret your intent from your writing, and ensure your actions don't get missed in a sea of text.

PhantomPistoleer

Great.  I will go ahead and make you the OOC Litigator and Ranged Expert.

Note, I know FP and I think he and I gel pretty well.  I think he will make an excellent litigator.

I just noticed that ESG applied for Striker in an edit.  Neat.  But I need to hold off on making you the team leader for now.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

firepyre

Aww right! Character submission below for properity's sake. If PP is okay with it, I'll keep the image, and say he's inherited a few not so human features from his fathers side, but use the same race stats as every one else, so as to stick to the rules.

The honest thief seems like an interesting concept. I think there's actually an inquisitor spell that causes pain if you withhold the truth that could be interesting to base it off. Rather than just straight off the bat, it gets more and more uncomfortable till you spill. And of course, you can have a lot of fun bending the truth, especially if they're not careful how they phrase things. I think it's very playable.

I can see such a character having crossed paths with Salvador before as well, either in lockup after some unruly behaviour, or perhaps they pinched something, or maybe even after some unruly behaviour caused by something being pinched from Salvi.

Salvador
Back for More
CHARACTER SHEET.  HP: #; AC: #.

Brief History:  A drifting troublemaker, Salvador tends to go wherever his whims take him, relying as much on his wits as his pistols to extricate him from the mayhem he causes. A bastard prince, the son of a whore and a king, noble blood flows through his veins, though his relationship with his family and homeland is... tumultuous at best.

Birth Date:  Ninth of Rova (27 years old).

IC Role:  Ranged expert

OOC Role:  Litigator.

Relations with Others:  TBD

Character Sheet: Ninja/Gunslinger

Adult Scenarios: Pretty open. Happy to flirt/tease, potentially interested in establishing a D/s dynamic.

Elven Sex Goddess

Filled in character details and character sheet nearly ready,  just equipment to fill in.  Held off since communal gold.

Dalea I plan to role play her with gregarious disposition.  So looking to establish friendships, i.e. BFF with another party member.   Also possibly a mate. 

Ixy

I'm making a dwarf factotum named Nezzlebum with a three foot beard and a four foot cock.

That's a dwarf race trait-- Paizo sourced.  Will send a link.

Just kidding.  Will post the draft tonight after a few drinks and, gods willing, a Saints win.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Ixy on October 28, 2018, 06:42:02 PM
I'm making a dwarf factotum named Nezzlebum with a three foot beard and a four foot cock.

That's a dwarf race trait-- Paizo sourced.  Will send a link.

Just kidding.  Will post the draft tonight after a few drinks and, gods willing, a Saints win.

::puts down the knife::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

This is harder than I thought (because the gestalt options are too tempting!), but I thought that I'd try to fill the Traps Expert role IC and the accountant OOC.

I'm not opposed to swapping in or out either a bard, cryptbreaker, or sorceress... but it's my best try so far.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1738764

This relies on a couple things for your approval, Phantom-- a, that we would use the optional "background skills" choice, and that b, you'd allow this character to buy 2 levels of perform: dance at level 1.  If not, skills and "dervish dancer" can be modified.

firepyre

@ESG: I'm more or less going the spoiled playboy route. Far less heroic than your typical adventurer. How do you think Daela would get on with someone like that?

Concerning Character Creation:

I would recommend choosing a different feat.

I see you've selected Unchained rogue as one of your gestalt classes. At level three, UC rogues get to add their dex to dmg anyway, meaning you'd be adding dex x2 to your attacks. Rules as written, there's nothing that really jumps out to say you can't do this. However, it has been clarified via FAQ(See below) as to not be possible. Hence, at level three, the level you'd ordinarily be able to pick it up(since you don't usually get a feat at level 2), dervish dance's usefulness diminishes drastically for your character.

Quote from: https://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9sgkDo ability modifiers from the same ability stack? For instance, can you add the same ability bonus on the same roll twice using two different effects that each add that same ability modifier?

No. An ability bonus, such as "Strength bonus", is considered to be the same source for the purpose of bonuses from the same source not stacking. However, you can still add, for instance “a deflection bonus equal to your Charisma modifier” and your Charisma modifier. For this purpose, however, the paladin's untyped "bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws" from divine grace is considered to be the same as "Charisma bonus (if any)", and the same would be true for any other untyped "bonus equal to her [ability score] bonus" constructions.

Background skills are entirely at PP's discretion, though personally I like the idea, and seen no reason not to use them. I'd like to second Ixy on this.

Finally, I'd like to make a request of my own, that we alter the creation rules to place the starting characters at level 3. Why:
- Level 1 is notorious for accidental deaths due to the single hit dice. One unlucky crit, and it's game over. This is a big "Feels Bad"
- Most classes feel incomplete at level one. A lot of core class features aren't present to level 2 or 3, this not only feels bad starting out, but when you hit the next level, the difference is so drastic, it's like you're playing an entirely different character.
- Fluffwise, we're described as already established, though unseasoned, so we should have a modicum of skill already, rather than being glorified villagers.
- I need money for guns ^,..,^

PhantomPistoleer

Okay.

1.  Background skills are fine.

2.  We can start at level 3.

I should expand on this a little.  I am not married to completing any one adventure, so we can start at a higher level.  I guess we should make a rule regarding experience.

I would like to start ASAP, but we have only three committed players.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

Quote from: firepyre on October 30, 2018, 08:23:30 PM
Concerning Character Creation:

I would recommend choosing a different feat.

I see you've selected Unchained rogue as one of your gestalt classes. At level three, UC rogues get to add their dex to dmg anyway, meaning you'd be adding dex x2 to your attacks. Rules as written, there's nothing that really jumps out to say you can't do this. However, it has been clarified via FAQ(See below) as to not be possible. Hence, at level three, the level you'd ordinarily be able to pick it up(since you don't usually get a feat at level 2), dervish dance's usefulness diminishes drastically for your character.
Much appreciated.  I can go with the twf standard, with daggers because everything else is heeeeavy, or can go with the idea of a cryptbreaker and throw things like crazy.

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on October 31, 2018, 07:20:21 AM
Okay.

1.  Background skills are fine.

2.  We can start at level 3.

I should expand on this a little.  I am not married to completing any one adventure, so we can start at a higher level.  I guess we should make a rule regarding experience.

Thank you Phantom.  I appreciate the flexibility and hope we draw a bit more interest within the next couple days... Halloween may have some people distracted too.

firepyre

@Ixy Twf is overrated for rogues imo, especially at lower levels. 2 attacks seems awesome, but you need high attack to offset the penalty, you need to be able to position yourself to flank if you want sneak attack(which typically requires more than a 5 foot step if your opponent isn't brain dead). In your case, you also ideally want a free hand to cast spells.

If you like the flavor, then by all means, pick it up. It's still good, but hardly required. But if you don't, you're probably not losing much anyway.

firepyre

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on October 31, 2018, 07:20:21 AM

Players are probably getting drawn away by the other shinier games being advertised at the moment. Not sure that's such a bad thing, since it means the people who do show up are probably more inclined to a bit of commitment.

How about making a guild HQ thread, and posting a few IC descriptions of the game modules. I.E "Guards wanted for forest expedition. Must be Bronze or better. Generous pay, meals provided. Inquire at some place for more information."(river into darkness)

If nothing else, it gives us a starting point.

Also, I have an idea to spice up the concept a bit. What say, rather than being official pathfinders guild, we're the rejects? Each of us could have a reason for not being accepted into the official guild, and we're now working for the competition, a decidedly more shady operation, based in a grungy tavern in docktown.

I'd be keen to run an NPC or two to flesh it out a bit. A tiefling lawyer perhaps, part devil, who handles the contracts, perhaps finds the odd prospect in a jail cell to offer an indenturment to... a druggie wizard perhaps, equally likely to con you as help. Stump, the barkeep and propeterior, an ex-adventurer with a passionate hatred for midgets, and the Guild.

Yay or nay?

Ixy

That sounds really fun.  Especially if the potentially, but questionably, infernal lawyer has a particular interest in our noble few without us really understanding why.

edit: with a bit of revision... still a weakling, not optimized for maximum damage by any stretch.  This is purely a swiss-army-knife character, face, and hopefully will be able to manage traps competently.

Jadis, L3 Gestalt UC Rogue/Oracle

images for inspiration

Background:
When her would-be actress mother gave her up to pursue a last-ditch career opportunity... strangely late in her life, as the two could almost pass as sisters... Jadis found herself floundering on the outside of the underworld in the most dizzying city in the Inner Sea: Absalom.  Taking to heart the lessons she'd learned backstage of brothels and performance halls, Jadis knew that it takes money to make money-- and lots of it if you lack talent or connections-- so she launched a marginally successful career as a thief and grifter until she exhausted her mother's list of friends and moderately-wealthy contacts.

With a pack of expectant thugs behind her and no real job forays before her, she became increasingly desperate for jobs, associating with thieves' guilds and gangs for more daring capers until she fell in with Vix, a semi-noble among thieves who took a shine to the girl and took her under her velvet cloak (and into her bed) until she'd had her fill of the girl.  Then, like so many others, Jadis became expendable and, in trade for a promise of leniency or a tip about a shipment, she was to be traded off to the guard as part of a set-up heist.

Not all went as planned on that heist-- an abbey, as it was-- when a bitter ex-lover of Vix opted not to leave young Jadis trapped for the guard to apprehend and enjoy, but rather set fire to the establishment in the hopes of being rid of her for good.  Jadis was more than fortunate to escape, finding reserves of power that exceeded her limited capabilities, but found something else in that spreading inferno-- during her escape, she found a family of impoverished squatters trapped by the flames, most of them children.  And despite the approach of the guard, despite injuries and burns she suffered, she went back for the survivors, again and again, until she collapsed from exhaustion saving the last feeble grandmother.

It was then, dying of smoke and heat exhaustion, that she saw a vision of a fiery angel descend upon her, then form a woman-- a figure of justice, hope, and vengeance that saw, in her, not only the criminal she had been, but the hero she could become.  Sarenrae's briefest breath that day was the last gust she needed, coming with a whispered promise that she would not burn for now, but that the flames would wait-- for a time.  Should she fail to serve the cause of good, she would be consumed by it... but if she should serve her Lady's causes well on earth, then that fire would purify her, again and again.  Even the most vain and selfish heart can find its purpose, when the impurities are burned out.

And so she accepted, and since then she has bartered, set the terms of agreement to allow the wicked to choose their own terms of their lives to follow.  She uses not only the gifts of the goddess' blessings, but the cold and clever tactics of a street thief and silver-tongued thief to accomplish what must be done.  But not only the devils can make deals, for when the tables are turned upon the unjust, especially those whose "law" chains the good and the righteous? The means are not justified by the ends-- they are the ends themselves.

Zaer Darkwail

Now asking in advance PhantomPistoleer which following concepts are okay (and which not) so know how progress (also accept suggestions by GM which class/role to take);

• Slayer (Bloody Jake)/Unchained Monk (basically playing 3th level version of Jui-Biang Xushu, with some background changes/edits to fit him into build setup)
  • Inquistor (Monster Tactician)/Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade), Cayden Cailean as a chosen deity (summons only one monster at time)
  • Fighter (Shielded Fighter)/Warpriest, Iomedae as a chosen deity
  • Arcanist/Alchemist (Grenadier)

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on November 01, 2018, 03:19:37 AM
Now asking in advance PhantomPistoleer which following concepts are okay (and which not) so know how progress (also accept suggestions by GM which class/role to take);

• Slayer (Bloody Jake)/Unchained Monk (basically playing 3th level version of Jui-Biang Xushu, with some background changes/edits to fit him into build setup)
  • Inquistor (Monster Tactician)/Swashbuckler (Inspired Blade), Cayden Cailean as a chosen deity (summons only one monster at time)
  • Fighter (Shielded Fighter)/Warpriest, Iomedae as a chosen deity
  • Arcanist/Alchemist (Grenadier)

I don’t see a problem with any of those combos yet.
Quote from: firepyre on October 31, 2018, 07:27:18 PM
Players are probably getting drawn away by the other shinier games being advertised at the moment. Not sure that's such a bad thing, since it means the people who do show up are probably more inclined to a bit of commitment.

How about making a guild HQ thread, and posting a few IC descriptions of the game modules. I.E "Guards wanted for forest expedition. Must be Bronze or better. Generous pay, meals provided. Inquire at some place for more information."(river into darkness)

If nothing else, it gives us a starting point.

Also, I have an idea to spice up the concept a bit. What say, rather than being official pathfinders guild, we're the rejects? Each of us could have a reason for not being accepted into the official guild, and we're now working for the competition, a decidedly more shady operation, based in a grungy tavern in docktown.

I'd be keen to run an NPC or two to flesh it out a bit. A tiefling lawyer perhaps, part devil, who handles the contracts, perhaps finds the odd prospect in a jail cell to offer an indenturment to... a druggie wizard perhaps, equally likely to con you as help. Stump, the barkeep and propeterior, an ex-adventurer with a passionate hatred for midgets, and the Guild.

Yay or nay?

The company is your own.  You can create bylaws and also use your funds to hire NPCs and build an HQ.  However, I recommend you guys have a mobile HQ.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on November 01, 2018, 06:43:24 AM
The company is your own.  You can create bylaws and also use your funds to hire NPCs and build an HQ.  However, I recommend you guys have a mobile HQ.

So we can hire dwarven whores?

Please don't hit me.  Well.  Not in the face.

IN SERIOUSNESS I'm working on a gear list for starting out.  Basically, how to affordably get our best starting gear (consider this my application for Party Accountant).  Basics of travel materials and gear.  All I have on my sheet right now is my free outfit and weapons that I know will, eventually, have to come out of the group account.  After all PCs are approved I think we can discuss what can be set out to fund an expedition without going bust, and what we can reasonably commit to higher-end gear.