What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Violence in Nicaragua reached a fever pitch in these last 3 months, 300+ Killed in fighting between pro government forces and rebels wishing to see ORtega removed from power.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-44842843

gaggedLouise

CNN report a story providing a motive worthy of the villain of the next James Bond film: there are a thousand times more diamonds than expected on the earth - but they are locked on the bottom side of the continental plates! :) About 1000 to 150 miles down - now, all you need is the right kind of technology to mine them. :)

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/diamonds-under-earth-surface-trnd-style/index.html

Whoever could dig up even one percent of those diamonds would surely become master of the global economy and the solar system... :)

(The deepest borehole ever drilled, so far, is seven miles deep into the earth's crust)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

gaggedLouise

"About 100 to 150 miles down", of course. Cut one zero figure there. :)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on July 21, 2018, 07:57:03 PM
Whoever could dig up even one percent of those diamonds would surely become master of the global economy and the solar system... :)

Well, diamonds are forever...  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheVillain

http://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

Short Version - The old joke about a Fox News viewer actually coming away knowing less then when they started? Turns out it's completely true. If you ask them questions about current events domestically and internationally they really do usually score worse then even people who don't watch the news at all. Though in fairness, MSNBC also does a real bad job when it's international stuff.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Oniya

Quote from: RedRose on July 22, 2018, 07:05:56 AM
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/germany-bus-attack-stabbing-in-luebeck-leaves-injured-today-2018-07-20/
I first hoped it wasn't true, due to spelling. But it is.

American publications will often use a following 'e' to replace an umlaut.  Comes from having uncooperative keyboards.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

RedRose

Some assume he's Macron "boy friend"... But again, the media Always want to assume that.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44910437
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]

Oniya

Supergirl to feature first trans superhero

And Nia Nal/Dreamer is being played by a trans actress.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Oniya on July 22, 2018, 12:16:27 PM
Supergirl to feature first trans superhero

And Nia Nal/Dreamer is being played by a trans actress.

I need to give that show another chance.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on July 22, 2018, 11:31:38 AM
American publications will often use a following 'e' to replace an umlaut.  Comes from having uncooperative keyboards.

I may be mistaken, but I think that this way of spelling isn't considered a mistake anymore. A few years ago there was a small language reform in Germany and 'ue' is now considered a valid way of spelling an umlaut. I think so, at least...

RedRose

Quote from: Beorning on July 22, 2018, 12:48:02 PM
I may be mistaken, but I think that this way of spelling isn't considered a mistake anymore. A few years ago there was a small language reform in Germany and 'ue' is now considered a valid way of spelling an umlaut. I think so, at least...

Aaaaand you may be right. I think I remember discussing this with language "purists" and we all hated it and planned to forget it and apparently… did?

Lustful Bride

Oniya

Quote from: RedRose on July 22, 2018, 01:02:51 PM
Aaaaand you may be right. I think I remember discussing this with language "purists" and we all hated it and planned to forget it and apparently… did?

I took several years of German (it helped with my math thesis), so I prefer the look of the umlaut, but you have to admit that it doesn't fit into URLs particularly easily.

RedRose

Someone posted this all over plenty of traveler groups.
I find it extremely distressing to read about things like that happening again and again in India. Uber driver, private driver, hotel manager… Those are "trust" jobs and shouldn't come up in such articles.
I went to India years ago and NOW I see why my driver 1) presented his wife and KIDS 2) never slept in the same building. I dunno. I never thought it would be a problem to be alone with him, fall asleep in the car, ask someone working at the hotel to drop me somewhere, or wtv.
Also, "allegedly"... I doubt she is faking!!...
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1761632/3-russian-tourist-allegedly-gang-raped-india/

AzureRain

Quote from: RedRose on July 23, 2018, 09:46:59 AM
Someone posted this all over plenty of traveler groups.
I find it extremely distressing to read about things like that happening again and again in India. Uber driver, private driver, hotel manager… Those are "trust" jobs and shouldn't come up in such articles.
I went to India years ago and NOW I see why my driver 1) presented his wife and KIDS 2) never slept in the same building. I dunno. I never thought it would be a problem to be alone with him, fall asleep in the car, ask someone working at the hotel to drop me somewhere, or wtv.
Also, "allegedly"... I doubt she is faking!!...
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1761632/3-russian-tourist-allegedly-gang-raped-india/

Wow, that is horrible. Ruined my day, but definitely an important message to share. You can really never be too safe when traveling!
O/Os // PLAYLIST // A/As

"To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer,
to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.”

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Lustful Bride

Several men arrested as suspects in an acid attack on a 3 year old.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/4-men-arrested-in-connection-with-apparent-acid-attack-on-3-year-old-british-boy-police-say/ar-BBKYAXf?ocid=spartandhp

If they are the ones that did it, I hope they get the hardest, cruelest, treatment legally possible. They should feel every bit of pain they put that child through.

RedPhoenix

In July a 7 year old girl from Israel named Liel Levitan won the European Chess Championship for children in her age category!

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/266277/seven-year-old-israeli-wins-european-chess-championship

“It was very moving,” said Levitan. “I love chess. I think it’s a game for all ages, not only for grown-ups. My dream is to be the champion of the world.” Yipee Hooray!

Now it's time for the World Championship. Where her dreams will come true and - no wait Israelis aren't allowed. 

https://forward.com/fast-forward/406334/7-year-old-chess-prodigy-banned-from-world-championships-because-shes/

And Tunisia is considered moderate.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

LisztesFerenc

Multiple international bodies have condemned Israel for Human Right's violation, including the UN,  most recently last month (the resolution passed 120 to 8). The article tries to make it out to be a purely Arab thing, which it may be in this case, but there is more to the issue.

Skynet

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on July 23, 2018, 02:35:34 PM
  Multiple international bodies have condemned Israel for Human Right's violation, including the UN,  most recently last month (the resolution passed 120 to 8). The article tries to make it out to be a purely Arab thing, which it may be in this case, but there is more to the issue.

Although the Israeli government is indeed guilty of many human rights crimes, it's a bit much to ban people from a tourney based on their national origin. It may be applicable if say, a prospective player was responsible or linked to their government's policies (like Sarah Huckabee Sanders being kicked out of a restaurant) although I don't think this would be the case for a child. Unless her parents/chaperones were guilty, although nothing about that is mentioned in either article.

Another thing is that Israeli citizens in general are denied entry to many North African and Middle Eastern countries on account of hostile relations with their government. So whoever decided to host the World Championship there is also to blame.

Formless

Quote from: Skynet on July 23, 2018, 05:00:02 PM
Another thing is that Israeli citizens in general are denied entry to many North African and Middle Eastern countries on account of hostile relations with their government. So whoever decided to host the World Championship there is also to blame.

Precisely.

Most Arabian/Muslim countries do not have an Israeli embassy. Its nearly impossible to admit a citizen of a country that doesn't have an embassy or even a missionary in another country. Doesn't have anything with being moderate. Its purely political.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI