News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Referral Link Hits

Started by Beguile's Mistress, November 12, 2009, 10:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beguile's Mistress

I've been looking on the site for an answer to this question for some time now an can't find anything that will explain and item on the Summary page of my profile.

Below "Referrals:"  is an item labeled "Referral Link Hits" followed by a number.  The number changes periodically.  It was 5 the other day and now it's 7.

What is a Referral Link Hit and where does the number come from.  Why does it change?

Oniya

Referral links are keyed to individual members as a way of tracking where new members are coming from.  If you put that link in a signature or on a website to promote Elliquiy, then anyone who visits the site by clicking on that link will add one to your 'referral hits'.  If they actually create an account, you'll see their name under 'Referred Members', and your username will show up under 'Referred By' on their profile.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beguile's Mistress

Thank you.  I don't recall publishing the link anywhere, however and it isn't in my signature.  It could be somewhere I'm unaware of or that I've forgotten about, but I don't think so.

In any case, thank you for the explanation. 

Will

I've always wondered how we can get hits on our referral link when we haven't posted it anywhere.  ???
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

That's an interesting point.  I hadn't checked my own 'hits' until you mentioned that, and I have 6.  I'm pretty sure I haven't put mine in a sig either...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Beguile's Mistress

I thought about it and all I could deduce is that someone who visits our profile page clicks the link to see what it does.  I don't know if that would work or not.

Will

It seems like members who were already registered wouldn't count, but unregistered people can't see profiles to begin with, which should be the only place my link can be found.  Very puzzling.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Vekseid

Your ons and offs profile triggers the referral process regardless of whether or not you have unchecked the 'private' box, so if a nonmember clicks the profile it will trigger, apparently.

Oniya

Iiinteresting.  I guess someone liking your O/Os would be a bit like a referral.  What if the same person checks out several profiles before joining?  What name would they get tagged with?

Vekseid

Quote from: Oniya on November 12, 2009, 01:47:26 PM
Iiinteresting.  I guess someone liking your O/Os would be a bit like a referral.  What if the same person checks out several profiles before joining?  What name would they get tagged with?

It uses the referral code, so it picks up the last one seen straight, I believe.

Talia

Is there a way to take the referral code off?

Sorry, I guess you can't then if it does it automatically.
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A