AD&D 1st Edition: The Kingdom of Iron Campaign [Exotic- NC]

Started by RubySlippers, January 27, 2015, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Its the time after the ocean drank Atlantis and the rise of the Time of Men,
magic is afoot and fantastic creatures walk the lands of the Earth,
the old races slowly lessen as dwarves retreat to their mountains and elves retreat,
in this time adventurers and those with bold heart create legendry.

Yes you read that right AD&D 1st Edition using the Unearthed Arcana, standard 4d6 dropping the low dice character creation and no evil alignments and CN would be iffy although well rogues will be rogues. I do have TN alignment since its pretty common among none adventuring humans.

I can use three to five players and you must know each other.

Togashi

Oh this could be fun, but I must admit I know next to nothing about 1st edition, so someone would need to help me out if I was going to play. But beyond that I could do it with you.

rikka

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 27, 2015, 08:35:51 PM

I can use three to five players and you must know each other.

The players or the characters?

Also will comeliness be used here?
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

RubySlippers

Players, and yes I like Comeliness but will be rolled separately after the other dice rolls are assigned.

Togashi

Blinkin, I found this, since you said you didn't know where to get them

Player's Handbook: <snip>

Unearthed Arcana: <snip>

Hope it helps.

~Please do not link to illegal pdfs/copyrighted material (Staff)

DarknessBorne

I'm in for this drive down Memory Lane.  Bookmarking, character concept to follow.
Currently OPEN to new RPs.

Muse

I'm more into secnod edtion, but I'd like to play too. 

I usualy favor spellcasters, but if others have that covered, I may look into a barbarian gal.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

Okay some background details.

1. The Pantheons used and both have followers is the Finnish and Greek Pantheons the later newer cults. Among monsters the Cthulue Mythos and Demons/Devils are most common except specific species. Humans can worship also the non-deity cults the Druids can opt to worship nature or a nature deity (Finnish) and the Dead Cult (a neutral cult worshipping a dozen very mighty Liches who combined hold the power of a Lesser Deity. The last is the State Cult of the Iron Kingdoms since each of the dozen cities has a Lich Temple and Tower with their own Lich-god.

2. Monks get 1d6 as a base hit dice instead of 1d4. And they get a special item Monk's Bracers they count as a Medium Shield if worn as a pair, and can be magical. They cost 10 gp.

3. Each player will get one magic item, a barbarian will get an item later on at 4th Level well more find one by fate since they don't like magic items and I choose the item.

4. Magic-Users start with Cantrips, Read Magic, Armor, one other defensive spell, two offensive spells and one miscellaneous spell. They also get bonus spells using the Wisdom chart but using Intelligence instead. Illusionists get access to Armor as a class spell and get similar benefits.

5. There are bards just like the rules, if you want to be one you must work for it, but must switch classes at 5th level.

6. Last thing, I'm using proficiencies including the non-combat ones, I will suggest some based on your background concept.

Muse

Oh!  The armor spell does exist in first editon then?  Nice. 

So, now I have three concepts that interest me: 
Amazon (Barbarian girl.) 
Cleric of Athena
Elven fighter/mage (maybe bladesinger style.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Togashi

I'm torn between...

Paladin
Elf Ranger
and now a Monk.

Also are we just starting off at level 1?

RubySlippers

Note 1st Edition have ability score rules for various classes and you must qualify for the class, so you should roll and then decide.

On the plus side there are ways to role-play most concepts like Amazons are a culture in my game and many classes are covered some more respected than others the only fast rule is the character must be female, social class is determined by class, fighter then clerics (divine agents so enough said) and magic-users (they practice a rare craft) then other sorts. Barbarians are oddly rare since Amazon culture honors the right kinds of magic use, clerics serve their deities so is good magic and their magic-users often bring much to the table they can end a fight with a well placed spell and with clerics craft magic for them.

If you can't make Paladin but can be a Cavalier then be a Cavalier who wanted to be a Paladin but fell short, but strive to be good and look up to them and if you fail that a fighter who tried hard.

Togashi

So how are we deciding the stats? By that I mean I haven't been on here in a very, very long time. How do we do the dice rolling?

Edit: I am an idiot... the dice bot. Should we be sending them to you or..?

rikka

Will comeliness be 3d6, after the first 6 ability scores have been rolled, or will it be 4d6?

Ons/Offs

RubySlippers

Quote from: rikka on January 28, 2015, 11:32:03 PM
Will comeliness be 3d6, after the first 6 ability scores have been rolled, or will it be 4d6?

4d6 placing them dropping the lowest die and re-roll 1's (one time only) placing them where you want for six ability scores then Comeliness separately. Or you can assign these ability scores: 9, 12, 12, 15, 16 and 18 and roll for Comeliness as noted. Racial modifiers not included.

Items getting I will give you all one Legacy item: a +1 magic weapon, +1 armor up to chain mail, for elves a standard suit of elven chain mail, for barbarians at 4th level a legacy item from the gods and goddesses (think Conan when he found that sword in the cave) and for anyone one miscellaneous magic item (I choose).

Come on your adventurers so need to have suitable characters especially with only a few of you.

And you can roll for psionics but use them who knows who or what might take interest.  >:)

DarknessBorne

I have an archer in mind.  A huntress who was raised in a hardscrabble village, where prowess with the longbow could make the difference between eating and going hungry.  In 1E terms, a fighter.

What rules will you use for weapons specialization (if any)?

RubySlippers

UA you must be a fighter, ranger, cavalier or paladin and you can only double specialize in one handed melee weapons (this includes a bastard sword its consider both one or two handed). But you can opt to singe specialize in any weapon and double specialize within the rules.

If your not human and single class in a class you could multiclass in you can make the maximum level gained two higher, since your focusing on it.

A Ranger would be a good option.

rikka

Name: Lauriel Greenleaf
Race: Wood Elf
Class: Fighter/Magic-User

Stats

Str: 13  Int: 14  Wis: 12  AL: CG   hp: 8
Dex: 19  Con: 15  Cha: 9  Com: 15
AC: 0 (-6 elfin chain +1, -4 Dex)
Weapon Prof.: longbow, short bow, long sword, dagger, quarter staff
Non-weapon Prof.: alertness, bowyer/fletcher, foraging
Languages: elvish, gnome, halfling, goblin, hobgoblin, orcish, common
Special Abilities:
darkvision 60'
detect secret doors - 1 in 6 passing one 10'; 2 in 6 searching for one; 3 in 6 for concealed doors
+1 to hit bonus with all bows, long swords, or short swords
when alone, and not in metal armor, or when 90' away from a group not entire composed of elves or halflings, elves are silent in their movement and can surprise opponents 4 in 6 of a time.
Weapons: longbow (Dmg 1d6, Rng 7/14/21, ROF 2), dagger (Dmg 1d4, Rng 1/2/3, ROF 2)
Clothing: belt,  cloak, leather shorts, long soft boots, tunic
Spellbook: Cantrips, Read Magic, Armor, Protection from Evil, Magic Missile, Sleep, Identify
Spells per Level
1st: magic missile (x2), sleep

Description:Having a slight figure, Lauriel is as tall as a typical human female. She has platinum blonde hair which she forms into two knotted braids that frame her heart-shaped face along with elfin ears that are rather smallish for her race. Her pupils are surrounded by irises that sparkle like golden wheat field.

Background:
While the elves are in retreat, Lauriel is quite intrigued by the age of man and takes it upon herself to go out of the confines of her forested home and into an unknown world where adventure awaits her.

Considered a maverick among her people Lauriel has always wondered what the world outside the village and forest was like, earning her shaking heads from elders and ridicule from the young.  But this did not discourage her desire and determination to go and see the outside someday.

When the villagers could no longer tolerate Lauriel’s fervent insistent interest of things outside of their village, they asked the village elder to talk sense into her.  After much thought, the elder decreed the Lauriel be ‘banished’ from the village and not to return until she truly reflects on the errors of her notions regarding the world outside.  In other words the village elder granted the young elf’s fondest wish but at the same time he hopes she finds out for herself if what she greatly desires is what is cracked up to be.

Before she left, the elder gave her a going away present – an enchanted elven chain armor, which an heirloom to the village chief.  Many were surprised and appalled by this – a social misfit like Lauriel, being exiled, to receive such a prized gift. But the elder dismissed all the naysayers concerns, saying it is better for someone to use it than leave it locked up and kept indefinitely. Lauriel thanked the elder and was both happy and sad.  Happy because she’ll finally get to see a brave new world that she has always dreamed of; and sad that she has to leave the one place which is considered her only home since she was born, and will not be able to return to it for a long while.  Wiping her tears, she banishes her doubts and worries, and set out on brand new adventure!

Personality: Lauriel is rather shy especially towards those outside of her home village, but is curious enough in wanting to explore and experience new things, including meeting new people.  She can be naïve at times since her world view has only been limited to that of her village and home forest, due to that she is not afraid to ask questions to the point of being annoying.

Ons/Offs

RubySlippers

Okay your likely from the Great Northern Forest sharing your land with the mighty Northman barbarian humans and foresters who worship the Finnish gods and druids known for living with their land not against it. And you will start with an heirloom item a suit of Elven Chainmail +1 (can't sell or trade it or give it away without my okay) and you can wear it and cast spells.

The retreat is slower among your people who find the humans decent and your farthest from Atlantis whose lands are fallen to the Old Ones and demons and devils and foul things. Of course YOUR a-lot closer now.  ;D

DarknessBorne

And, as promised:

Name: Rebekah Jaerlon
Race: Human
Class: Ranger

Background: Rebekah grew up where life was tough, on the northern frontier where there was snow on the ground four months a year, and orcish and other raids from time to time.  One day, a few weeks after she turned 14, one such raid finally forced her and her people out of their homes.  She spent three years after that alternating between living off the land and being a sell-sword (well, "sell-bow" would probably be more accurate) to earn some silver now and then.  She stands 5'10" tall, with blonde hair tied back in two ponytails, blue eyes, and fair skin. 

Rebekah's preferred fighting style is the longbow.  When battle gets up close and personal, she has her father's +1 short-sword, as well as a pig-sticker of a long knife she won in a game of chance whilst working as a caravan guard. 

Rebekah has all the normal skills of a ranger (forest is her preferred milieu).  She has also learned climbing, negotiation, and bowyer and fletching skills.

RubySlippers

I choose the magic item properties its a Short Sword +1 that can store healing power for every 2 hit points done with the blade you store a point of healing by touch and can store up to 16 hit points. You can use up 8 hp to cure disease or poison if not magical or supernatural. The harm done must be to evil creatures or be in self-defense.

DarknessBorne

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 30, 2015, 01:18:12 PM
I choose the magic item properties its a Short Sword +1 that can store healing power for every 2 hit points done with the blade you store a point of healing by touch and can store up to 16 hit points. You can use up 8 hp to cure disease or poison if not magical or supernatural. The harm done must be to evil creatures or be in self-defense.

Excellent.  Finding out the history of that exotic item could well be spun into an adventure in its own right.   ;)  So shall I throw the (virtual) dice and write it all up?

RubySlippers

Go ahead with two characters I can run a game, so who wants to find an old one in single combat?  >:)

Just kidding for now. There is plenty of work in the Iron Kingdom as mercenaries and caravan or river barge guards.

rikka

Good! I'm really looking forward to this, it has potential, and for me I really find it very interesting.

So is it first level characters? Randomly rolled hit points?

Ons/Offs

RubySlippers

Invoking my amazing DM powers, to give everyone maximum hit points as per the rules.

DarknessBorne

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 30, 2015, 06:05:17 PM
Invoking my amazing DM powers, to give everyone maximum hit points as per the rules.

Good move.  Otherwise, the adventure could be cut short by a couple hungry mosquitoes...   ;D