What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Cycle on May 26, 2015, 05:14:31 PM
Actually, I've met a number of intelligent, interesting, open-minded folks from Texas so I wouldn't write that place off as an immortal conservative bastion. 

My theory is that State is actually currently purple, with the blue mostly covered by a thinning layer of obnoxiously loud red.  Texas has a lot of tech and a relatively high level of education.  That's a recipe for shifting to the left, inevitably, imho.  I figure it will go solidly blue in about 10, maybe 15 years when the life support systems keeping alive the Old White Guys In Power (tm) finally give out.
That's what i think >.>
though the far right crazies (as opposed to far left crazies) think texas is some bastion, and keep filtering in.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Warlock

Telia Sonera, a large telecommunication company in the Scandinavian region, have supposedly been bribing the president of Azerbaijan with an amount around 710'000'000 dollars through their local divison, Azercell, for them to recieve favorable deals with the goverment. Not the first time they're accused of corruption, having made deals with secret service agencies in several less-than democratic countries to find and prevent gatherings and protests, amongst other things. After the most recent scandal they promised to do better in terms of being ethical, seems it hasn't happened.

Source in Swedish:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article20861473.ab

Wajin

Apparently, it's time for parliamentary elections in Denmark, this should be fun. So far the analysts are suspecting the election date to be some time around the 19th.

Thank Cthulhu that it came now so the commentators and analysts can finally stop suspecting when it'll come >.<
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Warlock

Erdogan, Turkey's president, throws a tantrum like a child due to having been critisied by the New York Times. Having opinions is not a freedom according to this dickish cunt.

“You are meddling in Turkey’s affairs by writing something like this. By publishing this editorial, you are overstepping the limits of freedom,”
-Erdogan

Source:
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/05/turkish-president-erdogan-blasts-new-york-times-for-editorial-criticizing-him-know-your-place/

Editorial mentioned:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/opinion/dark-clouds-over-turkey.html

ShadowFox89

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/several-top-fifa-officials-arrested

Seems FIFA is finally starting to get it's due, the Swiss launched a mass arrest just before they were going to hold their conferences with the FBI wanting a bit of the cut.

I'm waiting for the comments on how the US is simply upset that they didn't get the world cup hosting rights :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ironwolf85

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 27, 2015, 06:42:58 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/27/several-top-fifa-officials-arrested

Seems FIFA is finally starting to get it's due, the Swiss launched a mass arrest just before they were going to hold their conferences with the FBI wanting a bit of the cut.

I'm waiting for the comments on how the US is simply upset that they didn't get the world cup hosting rights :P

we could make the sport more popular and let america host it...or take massive bribes... nobody will find out...right....  ;D
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 27, 2015, 06:42:58 AM

Wasn't there some scandal earlier this year with FIFA down in South America? I could have sworn that this happened already.

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 27, 2015, 07:47:35 AM
Wasn't there some scandal earlier this year with FIFA down in South America? I could have sworn that this happened already.
yes not sure I remember what it was, but it wasn't involving top officals.

gaggedLouise

FIFA have a long-standing rep for being one of the most shyster bodies in international sports, as corrupt as boxing used to be, but they have great bargaining power due to the popularity of the game. It's almost a state of its own.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Deamonbane

The fact of the matter is that FIFA is a HUGE corporation, and due to it's international nature, one that quite literally answers to nobody, making corruption kind of a natural next step.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

eBadger

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Deamonbane on May 27, 2015, 11:58:31 AM
The fact of the matter is that FIFA is a HUGE corporation, and due to it's international nature, one that quite literally answers to nobody, making corruption kind of a natural next step.

Well, I now have another megacorp for if I ever run a Shadowrun game.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 27, 2015, 05:38:34 PM
Well, I now have another megacorp for if I ever run a Shadowrun game.

Don't forget the possibility of black-market 'upgrades' for the players.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on May 27, 2015, 07:03:38 PM
Don't forget the possibility of black-market 'upgrades' for the players.

Of course. Granted, the other real-world entities I imagine being upgraded to megacorp status are Google and Abercrombie+Finch (slightly less plausible now, but whatever) - trying to make a 'run' into a corp where the dress code also extends to include mandatory plastic surgery according to a corp template is a delightfully creepy image.

Lustful Bride

Id probably just try and work for the Disney Mega corp. Think about it, all the studios and properties that Disney owns @_@

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 27, 2015, 07:51:48 PM
Id probably just try and work for the Disney Mega corp. Think about it, all the studios and properties that Disney owns @_@

Working for Disney is scary enough when they're actually legally accountable for things they do on occasion...

ShadowFox89

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 27, 2015, 07:05:35 PM
Of course. Granted, the other real-world entities I imagine being upgraded to megacorp status are Google and Abercrombie+Finch (slightly less plausible now, but whatever) - trying to make a 'run' into a corp where the dress code also extends to include mandatory plastic surgery according to a corp template is a delightfully creepy image.

At this point, you don't need made-up MegaCorps for a Shadowrun game. Just use real life megacorps like McDonalds, Universal, Hasbro, FIFA, Malboro, Monsanto, FIFA, and Disney. Companies that can, and in some cases have, ruin a small or financially unstable country.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ironwolf85

pah take a look at the chicken meat industry

Warlock

Mickey Mouse would be the best Mr.Johnsson ever.

Honestly a slow news day in Sweden, might pick up later during the day.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Warlock on May 28, 2015, 01:37:33 AM
Mickey Mouse would be the best Mr.Johnsson ever.

Honestly a slow news day in Sweden, might pick up later during the day.

Heck with that. Walt Disney himself as the CEO, his cryo-frozen head reanimated and attached to a full-body cyber life support system.

Lustful Bride

American Foreign Fighter helps train Christian Militias in Iraq to defend their towns from ISIS Assaults.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/this-american-%e2%80%98foreign-fighter%e2%80%99-says-he%e2%80%99s-helping-iraqi-christians-fight-isis/ar-BBkjsdG?ocid=HPCDHP

Does this technically make the man (and others like him volunteering to fight ISIS) a mercenary or just a volunteer?

Oniya

Depends - what would you call the Americans who joined the French Foreign Legion in the first half of the 20th century?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on May 28, 2015, 08:42:55 AM
Depends - what would you call the Americans who joined the French Foreign Legion in the first half of the 20th century?

Hmm..i guess Mercenaries?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 28, 2015, 08:27:32 AM
Does this technically make the man (and others like him volunteering to fight ISIS) a mercenary or just a volunteer?
If he does it not for monetary gain he's a volunteer.

Now, if he is hired to do this, it depends. If you think he's a bad guy he's a mercenary. If you think he's a good guy the appropriate term is "security consultant".  ;)
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on May 28, 2015, 08:55:55 AM
If he does it not for monetary gain he's a volunteer.

Now, if he is hired to do this, it depends. If you think he's a bad guy he's a mercenary. If you think he's a good guy the appropriate term is "security consultant".  ;)

Then Security Consultant it is.  ;)