News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dreams

Started by Beorning, January 07, 2020, 03:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

As far as I know, the scientific interpretation of the phenomenon of dreams is that they are the expressions of human brains processing new experiences from the day...

If so, then please explain to me, why my dream last night started out as a Duck Tales episode, which quickly transitioned into a Count Duckula story? Which, then, turned into a story of me working at a hospital set in Duckula's castle? Which, then, turned into me being inside a non-existent Quest For Glory game with demons and vampires? Which, *then*, also turned out to feature the X-Men and some fictional American Revolutionary War hero? And a cool soundtrack, apparently? And ended with an appearance of Deadpool and a whole team of his copycats - one of which was named the Red Scare???

I mean, last evening I've seen an FB post by my sister raving about the new Dracula show on Netflix - but that's it... *scratches head*

And so: what are your thoughts on dreams? Also, any interesting dreams you would like to share?

Inkidu

Well, there's actually not that much known about it, but I think that the brain collates those new experiences by cross referencing them with old ones based on your own particular brain. Logic is irrelevant. Dreams can be meaningful but there's a reason why "dream logic" is a phrase. It's basically your brain's defragmentation process. You're in cleaning mode, literally.

If you're looking for specific universal meanings to dreams, not going to happen. Mostly dream analysis is about getting you to be introspective about what your subconscious is potentially saying. And sometimes all it's saying is nothing at all. Sometimes a falling dream is just a falling dream.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Endorphin

+1 to what Inkidu is saying.

The real question is: how/what did you feel about the events in your dream(s)? You obviously had cartoon ducks on your mind, though why did they manifest the way they did? What did they represent and what was your response to them? Figure out the context and you'll have a better understanding of why you dreamed the dreams you dreamed.
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Beorning

Hm.

The thing is... I didn't have cartoon ducks on my mind at all. Unless my brain made some weird jump from "Donald Trump" to "Donald Duck" to "cartoon ducks"...  ;D

Inkidu

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2020, 11:23:39 PM
Hm.

The thing is... I didn't have cartoon ducks on my mind at all. Unless my brain made some weird jump from "Donald Trump" to "Donald Duck" to "cartoon ducks"...  ;D
By definition, you're not aware of your subconscious thoughts. Like I said, the logic of it is irrelevant in your waking mind. All dreams are perfectly logical when you're having them, unless the theme of the dream is you not knowing what going on, which could tie into some feeling you're having in your waking life. Again: Dream Logic.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Esoterica

Quote from: Inkidu on January 08, 2020, 05:48:42 AM
By definition, you're not aware of your subconscious thoughts. Like I said, the logic of it is irrelevant in your waking mind. All dreams are perfectly logical when you're having them, unless the theme of the dream is you not knowing what going on, which could tie into some feeling you're having in your waking life. Again: Dream Logic.

I have had dreams before where I was so lucid I knew the subject matter was ridiculous. Like bathing in a lake of chocolate with marshmallows in it or something like that. But generally, those things seem to make perfect sense as they are happening to you in a dream. Its funny like that.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

Inkidu

Quote from: Esoterica on January 09, 2020, 04:42:08 AM
I have had dreams before where I was so lucid I knew the subject matter was ridiculous. Like bathing in a lake of chocolate with marshmallows in it or something like that. But generally, those things seem to make perfect sense as they are happening to you in a dream. Its funny like that.
Lucid dreams are kind of rare without a fair amount of mental training to make them happen on the regular. It is fun to have them though.

Esoterica

I have lucid dreams quite frequently. I also have this thing I can do where I can change the scene in a dream if I don't like it by finding a wall and pressing on it.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

DarkSeduction

The way I see Dreams is that our minds are basically file cabinets. When you open certain files *which each mind sorts things differently* your mind pulls things out of the file at the same time as filing something away. Sounds like your mind is alphabetical. Everything you dreamed of ((Ducktales, Dracula, Doctor)) all start with D, thus making your dream the way you saw it.

In my case I travel from Ducktales, to Darkwing Duck, to Tale Spin, to Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers, because I seem to file according to links to one another. sometimes characters, some times time periods ((Like Chip & Dales was on after Tale Spin.

Inkidu

Quote from: Esoterica on January 09, 2020, 04:08:28 PM
I have lucid dreams quite frequently. I also have this thing I can do where I can change the scene in a dream if I don't like it by finding a wall and pressing on it.
The ability to change dreams is high-level lucid dreaming. It's actually really rare that you have such high-level lucidity in your dreams without doing a lot of lucid-dreaming exercises. Obviously, I'm not saying this can't happen. I'm just saying that this is not common in the least.