Pathfinder SKYRIM-esque, Land of the Linnorm Kings (Interest Check)

Started by Quasar, May 18, 2017, 02:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasar

Hello all, just checking to sse if there's any interest for a campaign idea I'd like to run.  I'm a HUGE fan of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (not so much the other games) and have had a long running idea to run one in the same vein, based in Pathfinder Golarion's nordic style kingdom of the Land of the Linnorm Kings.

The premise will be similar to Skyrim, but using Pathfinder Lore:

The king of the largest kingdom within the land, Svein Blood-Eagle, has been killed, which has precipitated an air of uncertainty.  The man who did so is a newly crowned Linnorm King of Hagreach, who has been calling for unity among all the Linnorm Kings for a unified push against the Winter Witches of Irrisen.  However, many people suspect him of being a puppet for the Winter Witches.  Meanwhile, the linnorms of the land (fey dragons) are rousing from their usual state torpor and beginning to destroy settlements on the outskirts of civilisation.

I won't be following the formula of Skyrim strictly, merely the feel (otherwise, those who have played the game will know the story!).  My idea is that each character will have a type of destiny to fulfill.

In addition to interest, I'd also like to know what prospective players would like out of such a game!
Quasar's Bangs (Requests; Updated 2017.08.25)
Quasar's A/As (Updated 2017.08.12)

Angie

Is there room for a Sorceress who, with GM permission, starts the game completely unaware she can even use magic? I've had in the back of my head, a character that's the daughter of a travelling merchant with dragon blood that allows her to do magic, and i really wanna use her!
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Chulanowa

Fuck. Yes. All of my dwarves and vikings have been waiting for such a day.

Hexed

Be interesting to see how you handle races and classes in a skyrim based game.

And would fun/adventure count for what one wishes or do you prefer more specific?

Quasar

Thanks for the interest guys!  Let's see...

Quote from: Angie on May 18, 2017, 03:29:30 AM
Is there room for a Sorceress who, with GM permission, starts the game completely unaware she can even use magic? I've had in the back of my head, a character that's the daughter of a travelling merchant with dragon blood that allows her to do magic, and i really wanna use her!
No issues with it in principle, as long as you don't feel left behind.  My idea for bringing a group together is to have them all be victims of an Ulfen raid and they are being brought back to the LoTLK, so I don't know if that will put a bumper in your traveling merchant's daughter idea.

Quote from: Chulanowa on May 18, 2017, 04:02:23 AM
Fuck. Yes. All of my dwarves and vikings have been waiting for such a day.
Awesome!

Quote from: Hexed on May 18, 2017, 05:29:59 AMBe interesting to see how you handle races and classes in a skyrim based game.

And would fun/adventure count for what one wishes or do you prefer more specific?
There will be some restrictions,  but I may allow for one exotic character that is well written up.  Generally something more specific; e.g. if you played Skyrim, what did you enjoy, or what you're looking for in an RPG in general such as your ideal adventure.  Can't promise to hit everything, but at least I'll know what path I should be starting out on. :-)

Chulanowa

Know, I've never played Skyrim past the opening part and some stuff around Whiterun; aside from some very loose understanding of basic lore, I'm a total noob. So I can't really be like "I want to see this, and that, and this other thing from the game!" - really I'm here because I think the Land of the Linnorm Kings is an awesome part of Golarion and have wanted to do stuff there for some time. Hell, the place has its own player ready plot line: kill a linnorm, become a king.

Character wise, I'm leaning towards something classic for the setting. No class decisions yet, but leaning towards fighter, skald, ranger, or warpriest, something that can deliver a thumping and be a badass.

I have a question about the hook; if we're captives or thralls, what's our tie to the plot? I can't imagine a Taldan slave is too worried about the threat of Irrisen? Is it possible that the characters are captives from a rival Ulfen king or something?

Angie

Well, once she knows she can use magic...there's a plan. I have a 1st level character sheet already ready to go, and her traits explain WHY she'd be more willing to do heroic deeds then most.

I know, an actually heroic character in a Skyrim-like setting? Hold the fucking presses...

Quasar

Quote from: Chulanowa on May 18, 2017, 10:55:51 AM
I have a question about the hook; if we're captives or thralls, what's our tie to the plot? I can't imagine a Taldan slave is too worried about the threat of Irrisen? Is it possible that the characters are captives from a rival Ulfen king or something?
Good question, which is why I'm looking out for various things at this point that can help make it more appealing for the characters; at this point I can't really offer anything better than they're smacked with a big opportunity for wealth/destiny/vengeance/etc..

That said, it's all still in the planning phases at this point, and I'm happy to take suggestions.

Quote from: Angie on May 18, 2017, 12:14:48 PM
Well, once she knows she can use magic...there's a plan. I have a 1st level character sheet already ready to go, and her traits explain WHY she'd be more willing to do heroic deeds then most.

I know, an actually heroic character in a Skyrim-like setting? Hold the fucking presses...
Works for me Angie :-)

Angie

Tinalia doesn't need much to get involved. Her father would tell her endless bedtime stories of honorable knights, courageous wizards, and cunning rogues. Give her a chance to be a hero from the stories and she'll take it.

Hexed

Cool.

Will say I'm a very not nice person when playing skyrim. <.<  >.>  As my favorite story lines are the wizards guild, thieves guild, and the dark brotherhood. Coupled with a some of the Deidric Prince missions. :D

starting ideas are a whip magus, some sort of tribal animal tamer (Druid or ranger unsure of), or a changeling ice witch (Mostly 'cause of lulz. And ice witch archetype is cool as hell)

Quote from: Angie on May 18, 2017, 12:14:48 PM

Aye. Kinda odd just how many of the people there are base cowards unless they're bandits.

Quasar

Awesome guys!  I will keep the ideas in mind.

A changeling ice witch certainly has a certain colour to it, given the circumstances of the setting - whilst people from Irrisen aren't prohibited from entering LoTLK, they won't be the most welcome bunch.

Chulanowa

National Acrobat

Never played Skyrim and know nothing about. However I love Golarion and the Land of the Linnorn Kings. I'd be interested in playing a gnome Druid. There are gnome clans in the mountains there and I'd be interested in exploring g their history or finding lost clan relics, etc.

Chulanowa

Heh, gnomish relics.

"Look, I found a shiny rock! I'm going to put it with the squished toad I found on that one goblin."

Angie

A quick look at Tinalia von Grazen: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1153760

Built using 20 point point buy for Ability Scores, using two traits, no other extra rules.

Quasar

Quote from: Chulanowa on May 19, 2017, 10:16:04 AM
So... when do we start?  ;D
As a matter of fact, I'm working on the recruitment sheet now.

Quote from: National Acrobat on May 19, 2017, 10:24:39 AM
Never played Skyrim and know nothing about. However I love Golarion and the Land of the Linnorn Kings. I'd be interested in playing a gnome Druid. There are gnome clans in the mountains there and I'd be interested in exploring g their history or finding lost clan relics, etc.
Generally speaking, no knowledge of Skyrim is really needed; I merely put it out for those who have played the game and were looking for more moar, lol

Quote from: Angie on May 19, 2017, 12:45:22 PM
A quick look at Tinalia von Grazen: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1153760

Built using 20 point point buy for Ability Scores, using two traits, no other extra rules.
You may certainly feel free to put her up once the recruitment gets going :-)

clonkertink

Colour me interested. I've been running a small game set in Irrisen, so while I haven't played Skyrim, Northern Golarion is definitely on my mind right now.

Let me just sharpen my Axe.

Quasar

Quote from: clonkertink on May 19, 2017, 09:26:27 PM
Colour me interested. I've been running a small game set in Irrisen, so while I haven't played Skyrim, Northern Golarion is definitely on my mind right now.

Let me just sharpen my Axe.
Quote from: Vreski on May 19, 2017, 09:58:28 PM
I'm interested!
Thank you for the interest guys!  Just be on the lookout for the recruitment thread that should be up later today or tomorrow :-)

ChaoticSky

Quasar