Living in Interesting Times (Star Wars FFG, 3 players)

Started by ShadowFox89, April 30, 2017, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightLux

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 01, 2017, 05:24:26 PM
hrmm?

When shit hits the fan (combat, astrogation, etc), he's the one piloting.  When they're just cruising/burning time, he could be hanging out with the engineers.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

Pumpkin Seeds

NightLux

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 01, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
So I'm not piloting?

My reading comprehension sucks today.  Nevermind, you'd be the main pilot.  I'd be the copilot I guess which might be a good idea if I had to get up and run fix something... we'd still have a pilot  ;D
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

ShadowFox89

I mean, you both can take turns piloting. And I feel like I should open this up to more than just three people at this point if there is so much interest :P

I'm surprised no one jumped on the chance to play a force user.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

NightLux

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on May 01, 2017, 05:51:43 PM
I mean, you both can take turns piloting. And I feel like I should open this up to more than just three people at this point if there is so much interest :P

I'm surprised no one jumped on the chance to play a force user.

Having played one in FFG, I rather the non-force-user characters.  Has a much more... gritty feel?  Like you're scrapping by with what you have, not some magic power.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

clonkertink

Pfft. Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a well-laid out spreadsheet of income and expenses.

Edit: To elaborate a bit, I prefer the old "All Jedi or No Jedi" approach, though it's less about balance in this system. I just find that if the Force is going to be a big part of campaign I'd like to draw everyone into it, and explore the themes of introspection and morality more closely with everyone. They're just different campaign styles.

KirbysFolly

Well, here's a concept. Species, looks, that can all be decided later.

Runaway Techno-councillor who stowed away on a ship he probably shouldn't have. Was basically a 'wise man' figure for his home, and ran away. I'm not certain on Obligation, but in order of likelihood, his people, the Empire, and whoever he stowed away with might be looking for him again, and he certainly wouldn't be welcomed back.

I'm thinking lots of mechanical skills, probably with item customization, since I would really like to try that stuff out. A bit of survival mixed in too, since he's from a poor, low-tech world scrapping leftovers.

Details
Tagan was from a respected class of people on his homeworld, Camanir IV. A desperately poor colony in the early stages of the Clone Wars, it was selected by the Commerce Guild as an opportunity to show the benevolence of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. They shuttled in technology well beyond the reach of the colonists, began providing aid to them, and even started up a mining operation on the valuable ores on the planet. The colonists couldn't dig them up themselves anyway, so it was a win/win, right?

When the Clone Wars ended, the remnants of the Commerce Guild quickly shriveled away, leaving heaps of valuable technology that very few of the colonists were capable of using or repairing. The Empire, when it came, didn't care for the colonists any more than it took to make sure none of them got too fond of the Separatists.

Tagan had a way with these technological remains. He had a knack for repairing them, and for figuring out what new ones did. He could even sometimes cobble things together, and get it to do something useful. He was "wise," and his opinion was sought, along with the other Technicians, for almost every matter of importance in his town. He didn't feel like he deserved this consideration, and it wracked his nerves. What did he know about crop failures?

He longed to join one of the ships that occasionally visited the planet, but the Imperials had declared that no Camanir citizens could leave, after the "discovery" of a terrorist cell. And on top of that, the freighter crews were deeply suspicious of the locals, worried that if they could get access to their ship, they might tear it apart for scrap.

It took him months, but finally a ship arrived that was different from the others. Its crew seemed to think that swagger and confidence were worth far more than a pair of eyes, and left the ship with only one guard. Tagan was able to sneak aboard, and conceal himself in between several crates in the cargo bay, in what was the second-most-uncomfortable two days of his life.

He wasted no time losing himself in the spaceport once the ship arrived at its destination, and managed to scrape by working for pocket-change as a mechanic. He kept this up until he was finally able to convince somebody it was worth taking him on.

I'd be interested in trying a Force user, but yeah, I agree that it kind of feels like it requires a campaign focused around it. Which I'd love to play! But, it didn't seem like that was what you had described, and I do love me some Star Wars without Force users.

Pumpkin Seeds

As much as FFG loves making cross over mechanics there are themes that just don't cross over very easily.  Edge of the Empire is about skills to pay the bills, Age of Rebellion about fighting an oppressive regime and Force and Destiny about morality and finding your own path.  Each one has the potential to sorta derail the others or someone finds their character ignored.  Just easier really to pick one and roll with the punches.  Also I think a lot of people have played Jedi in other systems and so it is fun to play a grittier scoundrel type.

As for piloting I don't have a problem with multiple people being able to pilot.  Just seemed like my character got regulated to the night shift there.  I am certainly going to have her focused on being a pilot, but I don't expect everyone to be standing around waiting for her to get into the pilot seat just because she's the "main pilot."  If everyone's there and she's running down the corridor from Imperial Troops she sure as shit hope someone has got the engine running and ready to go.

Chrisking777

I'd be game for an edge of an empire type of game as I have the main rulebook. I don't know about the others though to be fair. I hope I can join in.

TheFourthShade

I don't really view there as a problem if we cross-play games since the different books just give you different class options and race options.

That said, I have access to all three core books.

Pumpkin Seeds

At this size we could probably make a Force and Destiny group and an Edge of the Empire group.

I should have her background and concept up by tonight.

ShadowFox89

I'd rather not run two groups, but if someone wants to co-gm with the main focus being the stories and adventures of the crew and passengers, that works too.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

I have... several ideas. Not sure how they could fit so conciser them all passengers for now.

A droid that is approaching human-like sentience. Even more human-like than GOTO from Knights of the Old Republic, this droid isn't really bound by programming rules anymore. I imagined it is somewhat old, from before the clone wars or a product of it... and has been hopping bodies ever since to escape detection. It might disguise itself as a human or an alien that commonly covers its skin like the Ubese. It has simulated emotions and feelings and is trying to transcend its robotic trappings. This being E, I kind of want to play with how such a being might attempt a relationship, romantic or sexual. It could just be interfacing with a slicer to "turn my pleasure dial up to 11." ...while probably being equipped to reciprocate. :P

An old idea I had for a SAGA campaign my friend ran... originally it was a giant fish man Mon Calamari but for E, I can make it a female or a guy. The idea is someone who crash-landed on a deserted planet as a kid during the clone wars. It was a vacation cruise or something and they ended up the sole survivor. For years and years they lived alone on this deserted planet until they were picked up. The catch being... they had a Jedi holocron for company. You could even argue that the force is what kept him/her alive. So all these years, this kid grows up absolutely worshiping the Jedi and their teachings but having a VERY limited idea of what they actually are... but by the time he/she gets rescued, they're all gone.

Some kind of greasy engineer girl... obviously that one's less fleshed out than the others. :P

Pumpkin Seeds

Name: Rylekasumar aka Rylek
Species: Twi'lek
Career: Smuggler
Spec: Pilot
Concept: Surly Pilot
Obligation: Bounty / Family
Motivation: Freedom

Boring is good.  People might argue with me on that one.  Talk to me and you about the blood rushing thrill of chasing down criminals, fighting the good fights and dying in glory.  I still don't agree with them.  A boring life is a good life.  Boring means not having yourself and your kin sold to a Hutt gambler because your tribal leader doesn't know when to quit playing Sabbac.  A boring life is not having to wear see through clothes and dance around for drunk soldiers that like to throw mugs when you aren't very good at said dancing.  Yeah that whole Twi'lek thing about dancing is a myth for some of us.

Boring is piloting a nice little spice transport for the Hutt cartel.  Sitting my cute little ass on a cushy chair, punching a few buttons and trying not to be asleep when we drop out of hyperspace.  Boring is getting a few credits to your name so you can punctuate your life with a few games of chance, a few drinks and the ability to sleep alone in your own bunk.  I like that life.  Now boring was not the flight to my freedom at gunpoint when some not so happy slaves snuck aboard with their sights set on the stars.  Boring wasn't dodging bounty hunters thinking I masterminded the whole thing.  No, none of that was boring and none of it was appreciated except for the part of getting that collar off my neck.  Those things...not comfortable.  Just saying someone should put some thought into that.

But that is all behind me now you know?  Yep.  Sure the occasional bounty hunter wanting to get in good with the cartels comes looking my way.  Sure there are some family members that call me up sometimes wanting a ride or maybe a few credits toward their freedom.  Just little bumps on a smooth ride I say.  Nope.  My boring life is perfectly fine piloting this clunker through the void, hauling cargo and some sniffling brats from point A to point B.   Papers in orders and nothing to tell the Imperium but sorry I wasn’t born human.  That is the life for me.

I left the background pretty open so that others might tie into place.  This little snippet is more just a peek at her personality.

clonkertink

Name: Ssina'Mawlai'Randa (Sina, to most)
Species: Chiss
Career: Explorer
Spec: Trader
Concept: Enterprising Businesswoman
Obligation: Debt
Motivation: Growin' the Business

You'd think, in this era of "Peace and Order", it'd be easy to make an honest buck. Believe me, I try - I'm still trying. But sometimes I'm so worried about paying the bills that I get sloppy and forget to log a crate or two on the manifest. Turns out forgetting to log that cargo can be pretty profitable.

Not that I like it. I don't necessarily need to be rich, but it'd be nice to put my debts behind me and make a stable living. Maybe even open up a small shipping company one day. To do that, though, requires skirting Imperial authority from time to time. Even then, I try to keep a clean conscience. I'd much rather help refugees find escape a war-torn world than prey on people's addictions by running spice.

But I'm not the captain. I don't always get a say in what jobs we take. On those days, I just try to get us the best pay for our trouble and try not to think about what we've got in the cargo hold.

(OoC: I rather like the idea of being dragged deeper and deeper into illegal dealings, now matter how hard I try to stay clean. So don't worry. I won't go storming off it we have to take a shipment of spice, or smuggle a shady character off-world.)

ShadowFox89

Why is it starting to feel like I coukd have advertised this as a Firefly game? The applications look good so far, keep them coming. I'll go over what we have so far on Saturday,  which is my only free day these days.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

clonkertink

Because EotE is basically Firefly: Star Wars edition?

NightLux

Quote from: clonkertink on May 03, 2017, 09:24:44 PM
Because EotE is basically Firefly: Star Wars edition?

Its really not that hard to make the conversion.  Disallow other races, no hyperdrive on ships and you're 90% of the way there.  Heck, I removed the vicious quality from the vibroweapons and just called them "axe" and "sword" and it all worked just fine.  Ship combat was a bit weird, but we just renamed the weapons to make it fit the fluff.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkin Seeds

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

clonkertink

I have a general question: what kind of modular pod does our Consular cruiser have? Passenger pod? Extra cargo space? Something really weird left over from its previous job?

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on May 05, 2017, 04:33:51 PM
So what's up?

It's been 2 days since a post, people have work, chill?

Quote from: Crash on May 05, 2017, 04:39:46 PM
Still accepting?

Haven't made any decisions on characters, so yes.

Quote from: clonkertink on May 05, 2017, 06:15:43 PM
I have a general question: what kind of modular pod does our Consular cruiser have? Passenger pod? Extra cargo space? Something really weird left over from its previous job?

I'll have to think on that a bit. More than likely extra cargo space.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheFourthShade

Shadow has accepted me as co-GM, and I accept this responsibility.

clonkertink

Quote from: TheFourthShade on May 06, 2017, 06:02:38 PM
Shadow has accepted me as co-GM, and I accept this responsibility.

Cool. How does the co-gming work? Just having an extra person online to keep the ball rolling?