Because Hollywood hasn't violated our childhoods enough (Battleship movie)

Started by TheGlyphstone, July 28, 2011, 09:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: dana eleanor on August 02, 2011, 10:49:25 AM
Of course they did. That movie is amazing. I haven't been on the new ride yet, so I'll have to go. I can't stand when they do movies on a game that isn't even that fun.

To be fair, whats fun and not fun is completely subjective. Saying that someone shouldnt make a movie because of a value of emotion that can not be quantified isnt the way to decide if something should or shouldnt be made.

I think you can make a good game, movie, or book out of anything I just dont think that battleship is anything other then a cash grab at this point in time
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

Exactly.  I've had a lot of fun playing Risk, but I think that trying to turn it into a movie would be a waste of film.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on August 02, 2011, 07:30:26 PM
Exactly.  I've had a lot of fun playing Risk, but I think that trying to turn it into a movie would be a waste of film.

Do not click on these links.

Oniya

I stand by my original opinion - but now I'm a little more worried about the Candyland adaptation, and I thought there was already a movie about Ouija.  Maybe some of y'all remember it - took place in Georgetown, had this little girl called Regan in it?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Mithlomwen on August 04, 2011, 08:46:23 AM
Anyone remember Clue?

Tim Curry =  Awesome!!

One.. rib breakingly hilarous movie doesn't break the trend.

And Clue had me in tears.. Curry was just.. awesome.

Oniya

Quote from: Mithlomwen on August 04, 2011, 08:46:23 AM
Anyone remember Clue?

Tim Curry =  Awesome!!

Quote from: Oniya on August 01, 2011, 10:37:34 PM
I actually enjoyed the first 'Mortal Kombat' movie, and 'Clue' was rather fun as well (of course, Tim Curry will do that).  Oh, and 'Chess', the musical, is still one of my favorites.  ;D

Yup.

Anyalyss

Madeline Kahn was sooo beautiful in that one.

As for Battleship, it looks pretty terrible to me, poor Neelson! (although... not so poor, he still gets paid for it)
O&O's    A&A's

Jag

*watches trailer*

You know...if it wasn't titled 'Battleship' then it might not be getting so much hate. If you just think of it as some ships on the ocean getting caught up in some alien, transformer-like business...then it's not that bad.

Then again, I rarely hate movies. I shouldn't be allowed to judge films.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Quote from: Michi No Sora on August 05, 2011, 07:36:43 AM
*watches trailer*

You know...if it wasn't titled 'Battleship' then it might not be getting so much hate. If you just think of it as some ships on the ocean getting caught up in some alien, transformer-like business...then it's not that bad.

Then again, I rarely hate movies. I shouldn't be allowed to judge films.

Actually, the name 'Battleship' isn't even so bad.  The 'brought to you by Hasbro' is the bit that's so face-palming.

Jag

Quote from: Oniya on August 05, 2011, 11:20:54 AM
The 'brought to you by Hasbro' is the bit that's so face-palming.

Yeah, that's the damning bit. *nods*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

CheetahInAfrica

Yet my friends wonder why I haven't been to the cinemas lately.....*sigh*
I cant remember which movie I have seen last...maybe Die Hard 4
Laugh and the whole world will laugh with you!
Weep and you will weep alone!

The city changes, but the fools within are always the same.

NotoriusBEN

Strangely... I'd be ok with a Monsterpocalypse movie... there has been a lack of kaiju movies recently (Cloverfield doesnt count, that was a travesty)

Come to think of it... would Transformers be considered in the kaiju genre? it does have giant robots in it...

Inkidu

I freaking hate Battleship. For two hours I sat there getting miss, after miss, after miss. Finally my brother sank my last ship (my PT boat) and then, then my mom walks in and says, "Why are there white pegs on your battleship, J?" (I was still six or seven and full of optimism)

Dirty rotten cheater.

I always kind of got the impression that Battleship was that game that let all the kids live out a navel battle from all the Navy movies in Hollywood at the time. Oh, the irony.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CheetahInAfrica

Quote from: Inkidu on August 06, 2011, 09:36:07 PM
I freaking hate Battleship. For two hours I sat there getting miss, after miss, after miss. Finally my brother sank my last ship (my PT boat) and then, then my mom walks in and says, "Why are there white pegs on your battleship, J?" (I was still six or seven and full of optimism)

Dirty rotten cheater.

I always kind of got the impression that Battleship was that game that let all the kids live out a navel battle from all the Navy movies in Hollywood at the time. Oh, the irony.
Hehehehehe, I did that too, when I was 5 or 6 and always lost to my older brothers (8 and 12 years older). I wanted to win at least once and every way was ok back then lol
Laugh and the whole world will laugh with you!
Weep and you will weep alone!

The city changes, but the fools within are always the same.

didoanna

Quote from: Anjasa on July 28, 2011, 01:34:58 PM
Yes! An epic saga!

Yeah but to make it a decent length saga it would have to be like "Best Out Of 5".  I mean the CGI graphics is gonna be a huge cost.

Oniya

Just saw this advertised:

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots!

(Okay, that's not the real title, but seriously!  Look at them!)

Torch

Quote from: Oniya on August 01, 2011, 10:37:34 PM
I actually enjoyed the first 'Mortal Kombat' movie, and 'Clue' was rather fun as well (of course, Tim Curry will do that). 

+1 on Clue. Anything with Tim Curry is guaranteed to be filled with awesome.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Slaven

Quote from: Oniya on September 05, 2011, 06:44:17 PM

Actually, when I saw that preview at the movies a few weeks ago I screamed "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots" out loud. What's worse is I didn't even click the link and know EXACTLY what movie you're talking about, the one with the boxing robots. So sad.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Oniya

I was luckily at home, and the only people who heard me were the little Oni (who has no idea what the old game was - yet), and the cat, who already gives me dirty looks.

Slaven

Quote from: Oniya on September 05, 2011, 07:51:25 PM
I was luckily at home, and the only people who heard me were the little Oni (who has no idea what the old game was - yet), and the cat, who already gives me dirty looks.

Haha. I envy you! Though don't all cats give us dirty looks? :P

That said, the movie actually looks like it might be half decent if they played their cards right..
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 05, 2011, 06:44:17 PM

I saw this preview when I went to go see Rise of the Planet of the Apes (which, having a mom who was just the biggest Apes junkie on the planet and having seen them more times than I can count, I thought was a damned-good homage to the original films). I thought Rock 'Em Sock Em' Robots myself.

Though, I have to admit it was pretty cool to watch, still I think the trailer gave away most of the movie.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Missy

it's definitely a name-fail, but judging just from the trailer it looks as though it's going to have all the things you need to make a good story. It will likely be entertaining even if I don't add it to my private collection.

TheGlyphstone

Real Steel? I wouldn't really call it a name fail - sure, it's Rock Em Sock Em Robots the movie, but it's based on (to a noticable degree relative to Hollywood's standard of 'based on') a short story called Steel, which was also a Twilight Zone episode.

Though if anyone's seen the episode, I have a deep suspicion they will use the same 'twist'.

Oniya

Man, I never realized Richard Matheson was such a source of film scripts.  Looking at the list of things he's written, it's like the 'greatest writer you never knew'.