How can you tell if your computer is being remotely accessed?

Started by Blinkin, July 14, 2016, 07:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

Over the last few days, I've picked up my keyboard to find that my screen reader has been turned off; something that it's not suppose to do on it's own.

This morning, I put on a pair of headphones connected to my computer and before I had touched anything, I heard "start button." This is the screen reader notification that the start button on the keyboard has been pressed, some call it the windows key. As I had not touched either the keyboard and I don't have a mouse, this combined with my screen reader turning itself off while I'm away from the computer has made me wonder... how would I tell if my computer is being remotely accessed and how would I stop it if it were?

I've run both AVG and Malwarebytes, and both have come back clean, but as someone told me the otherday, neither are the best antivirus outthere, so...

Just to state it, I'm a computer idiot, so any help would be really helpful if it was offered in easy to understand steps that doesn't require a mouse.

Thanks!

Blinkin
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Vekseid

What windows version are you using?

You have no reason for anyone to be using Remote Desktop/Assistance.

In Windows 7, these settings are under the control panel -> system -> system protection

Which will open a multi-tab dialog, you want the 'remote' tab. Make sure remote assistance is disabled, and to disable incoming remote desktop connections.

Blinkin

"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.