News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The wheel of time.

Started by Saerrael, August 27, 2011, 11:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adonis

You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's
Current Muse Status: Overdriiiive

Kate

the wheel of time thread is looking for a storyteller

Adonis

Well I understood that much lol. I simply wanted to know if this was going to be a small or large group game m'dear.
You can't change who people are at their core. You can only love them for what they've given you.
O/O's

Saerrael

Quote from: Adonis on September 03, 2011, 02:20:37 AM
Would this be a smaller group game, or a larger group game? I've been looking for one of these storylines (That and something Sword of Truth based).

Depends on the amount of people turning up for it.
And... Sword of Truth! :hearts:
Read the books and watched the series. Still thinking of playing a male confessor.

CShades

Tsk.

Male confessors are really wizards with substractive magic.

Hrm. I wonder how /that/ works.

Also: I like this thread.  I wonder how crazy a Green would go with a gay warder.  (Commas left out intentionally in order to multiply the possible meanings of that sentence. I just <3 the english language.)

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

Saerrael

No. I really do mean a male confessor, not a subtractive wizard.

Adonis

*Nods* Male confessors are effing scary. There's a reason they were slaughtered at birth.
O/O's

CShades

Tell me more?

Or maybe PM, because it's really a whooole other setting ;D

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

Saerrael

Basically, it boils down to them having the same powers as a female confessor has, but not the compassion. They would use their power on everyone they see fit.

And, yes, I agree it's a totally different setting. >.> <.<

CShades

I must have missed that awfully sexist nuance somehow! XD  (Really, TG?)

I remember reading that the confessors' powers were really substractive magic at work -- but it's been far too long.

Adonis

Naw, it's a short explanation.

In the SoT setting, there are beings called "Confessors". Named as such because when they release their power into another living thing, the person affected falls into love so hard that they become a slave. They answer any question, follow any order, and even willingly kill themselves if the confessor so wishes it.

As a balance, releasing this power causes the confessor to be drained/weakened, sometimes to the point of being rendered unconcious. The stronger the confessor, the shorter the "recharge" time they need inbetween the use of their powers.

Male confessors do not have a recharge time. Thus creating a person who can enslave entire races with just a touch that are loyal until death. This power is permanent, just like the female counterpart. That much power corrupts a person, and huge wars were known to have been started by male confessors simply because they could.

As a result, the ruling wizard/confessor's deemed male confessors to be an abomination and a threat to everything living. If they're found to be male (as the power is passed on through the mother 100% of the time), the child is killed as soon as it's born. I think the book described the actual method too. Something about a steel pipe being laid across the child's throat and stepped on to break the spine and crush the windpipe.

**Edit - the lack of compassion stemmed from basically getting whatever they want, and seemed to be a trait only associated with the males.
O/O's

Saerrael

Hm, I can't recall they didn't have a recharge time. Been a while, I'm sorry.

In the series (The Seeker), Kahlan actually does birth a male confessor. He's.. a spawn of evil, to be honest. Even as a little child.
The books don't really touch this very deeply.

Adonis

Yeah, the whole recharge time was the main aspect that resulted in them being declared abominations. Kahlan's time was somewhere around 1-2 hours for her to be back at full capacity (the most powerful of the confessors being deemed "Mother", and hence her being chosen).

....god I know too much about that series (the books).

I never recalled her birthing a male in the tv show though. Musta missed that.
O/O's

Saerrael

It's the alternate reality thing where Richard is dead and Darken Rahl take her as his bride.

And I know what you mean about knowing way too much >.> <.<

I liked the Darken Rahl in the books more. He made more sense. Plus.. he's a lot less attractive.

Adonis

O.o I think we may have gotten off-topic... lmao
O/O's

Saerrael

Quite! *laughs*
I could ask staff to split the Wheel of Time from the Sword of Truth, but.. I'm so lazy >.>'

Adonis

I think as soon as I get caught up here, I'm going to set to work on getting something SoT-ish put together. The last one I saw was a horrible attempt, and never got past the interest check. Dude wanted to play Richard, and basically everyone else simply got to follow him around and play sidekick on his adventures.
O/O's

Saerrael

Quote from: Adonis on September 03, 2011, 09:07:28 PM
I think as soon as I get caught up here, I'm going to set to work on getting something SoT-ish put together. The last one I saw was a horrible attempt, and never got past the interest check. Dude wanted to play Richard, and basically everyone else simply got to follow him around and play sidekick on his adventures.

Hnn... I will keep my comment unworded, there. What was he thinking...?
And, I'll keep an eye out for that. I'll probably want to reread the series, though. I'm kneedeep in Wheel of Time at the moment, and loving it.
Might actually make some art related to Wheel of Time, too.

To get back on topic;
http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/A_beginning
That would be the Wheel of Time Wiki, which I have found to be quite awesome and inspiring.

Something for Hairy, just because I recall.

Adonis

Well, if it takes off anything like the x-men game that myself and two others ran, I may end up needing help. Who knows though.
O/O's

Saerrael

I'm GMing the Teahouse groupgame. I found out I am not able to distance myself enough from a game to be a good GM (though the players in that game do not agree with this). So I'm not up for GMing, nor co-GMing.

WhiteTigerForever

This looks really awesome. I need to read and look more into it but I am very interested. :D
Not accepting new roles but Photoshop riches await you instead.

Altair1983

Posting a Tentative Interest here while i do some research on the world and its history and such since i really havent read the novels but this does seem intriguing from what i have read in the core book.

kylie

Quote from: Saerra on September 03, 2011, 09:01:28 PM
It's the alternate reality thing where Richard is dead and Darken Rahl take her as his bride.

And I know what you mean about knowing way too much >.> <.<

I liked the Darken Rahl in the books more. He made more sense. Plus.. he's a lot less attractive.

At considerable risk of staying off topic, but...   Yummy  ::)  I miss the old palace with the Mord Sith, and never got enough of some of those darker realities from that series.

I also have this sort of burning desire to combine the two series somehow.  I can't seem to stop mixing them together as I (somewhat vaguely) remember them.  But it has been a while.

Did any of this ever take off?  I see one thread doing Wheel as a system game, not sure I'm really up for systems with this...  Anything else going on?

Aybara

It didn't no sadly but if you decide to get involved with the system based game I'll gladly give you a hand. Some of the other players were completely unfamiliar with the system but we got the characters made to suit their concepts and took as much time as the players wanted. I understand if you're somewhat put off by the system but I know you'd be welcomed.