What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eBadger

Gallup polls shows support for legalizing marijuana is up to 58%

I'm definitely there.  I wasn't too thrilled when Washington went legal, but it was done well and we haven't had the massive issues that were forecast.  And I've enjoyed a few brownies  ;)

Although that's become a bit frustrating lately as I go through the application for a new job.  Even though my intake was legal and done before ever interviewing with the company let alone agreeing to their policies, a bad hire drug screen would still make me ineligible, which is pretty irritating. 

Mikem

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 22, 2015, 01:24:45 PM
Yeah, I certainly read Mikem's post as "if you're defeated in this game, then your Steam account dies - or the one who "killed" you can choose to enslave ýour account and profile, giving him/her admin control in some way of whatever you're allowed to do".  ::)

But just perhaps that's too harsh a reading - if it was that way. it would be bad business for Steam. Every time the game is played, they'd run a big risk of seeing one account on the site getting knocked out. Diminishing game sales on Steam, anyone?

Sorry for not being clearer, I meant the game blocks that Steam Account from playing it, like a form of Perma-Ban. It doesn't lock down your whole account from playing other games in your library.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Blythe

A person wrecked into the OSU homecoming parade in Stillwater, Oklahoma

At the moment, 4 dead (one of the victims was only two years old   :-\ ), 44 injured, but unsure of what the final numbers will be on this. Driver suspected of driving under the influence.

Mikem

Afghan citizens are forced to defend their cities from Taliban after Government forces appear to abandon their posts.

The cafe owner described in this article has two wives and eighteen children, and told his wives and daughters he'd kill them himself if they couldn't keep the Taliban away from them.

Who the Hell am I rooting for again?
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Cycle

Are you saying that a polygamist fighting to defend his home is comparable to a militia group aligned with al-Qaeda?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Cycle on October 25, 2015, 10:43:36 AM
Are you saying that a polygamist fighting to defend his home is comparable to a terrorist group that attacked the World Trade Center?
If 9/11 had been carried out by the Taliban instead of al Qaeda he might be?
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cycle

Ah, good catch.

Edited to remove the inaccuracy.

Oniya

He has multiple wives and children (presumably some of those are daughters).  As polygamy is not illegal in that country, this is irrelevant.  He is a man with a family of 11, who knows that if the Taliban gets hold of them, the women will be 'at best' forced into marriage, if not raped and killed.  The sons (going with the standard probability) will either be conscripted or killed - possibly after being tortured.

His reaction is honestly not unexpected.  Nor unprecedented.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Oniya on October 25, 2015, 12:28:34 PM
He is a man with a family of 11, who knows that if the Taliban gets hold of them, the women will be 'at best' forced into marriage, if not raped and killed.  The sons (going with the standard probability) will either be conscripted or killed - possibly after being tortured.

Isn't it up to them to decide if they would prefer death over that?

Oniya

Maybe they have.  We don't know what conversations he's had with them, other than that quick soundbite.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Oniya on October 25, 2015, 12:41:45 PM
Maybe they have.  We don't know what conversations he's had with them, other than that quick soundbite.

You're right, we don't. So why are you trying to justify his words without knowing whether or not his children and wives are okay with his plans?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on October 25, 2015, 12:45:33 PM
  You're right, we don't. So why are you trying to justify his words without knowing whether or not his children and wives are okay with his plans?

On the flip side, why are you trying to condemn him for the same?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on October 25, 2015, 12:28:34 PM
He has multiple wives and children (presumably some of those are daughters).  As polygamy is not illegal in that country, this is irrelevant.  He is a man with a family of 11, who knows that if the Taliban gets hold of them, the women will be 'at best' forced into marriage, if not raped and killed.  The sons (going with the standard probability) will either be conscripted or killed - possibly after being tortured.

His reaction is honestly not unexpected.  Nor unprecedented.

If I were in a similar position...id probably do the same. I wouldn't let those monsters take my children. But it would only be a last resort.

I'd still fight to the end for my family, as hopeless as it might be.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 25, 2015, 12:51:55 PM
On the flip side, why are you trying to condemn him for the same?

Because he said he was going to kill his wives and children? I am fully aware that there could be mitigating circumstance, maybe they do want him to kill them, but we don't know that for sure. I also find that conclusion that this is a smart move questionable, as the Taliban control a varying but large area of Afganistan, and the argument in this mand's favour hinges on the assumption that every man, woman and child in that area lives a fate worse than death, which I do not believe to be true. I am fully aware that this conclusion of mine is based off a limited understanding of the cultures of the region and likely coloured by my greater familiarity and preference for Western culture...

...however, all the information we have to go on is he said "I will kill my wife and children if I cannot stop the Taliban" He makes no mention of their wishes or any mitigating circumstances beyond the advance of the Taliban, so on balance, I'm going to take this ultra radical stance and say that that is wrong, based on the information available to me.

Oniya

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on October 25, 2015, 01:13:16 PM
the argument in this mand's favour hinges on the assumption that every man, woman and child in that area lives a fate worse than death, which I do not believe to be true. I am fully aware that this conclusion of mine is based off a limited understanding of the cultures of the region and likely coloured by my greater familiarity and preference for Western culture...

Actually, I'm basing it off the assumption that enemy combatants in that area risk a fate worse than a clean death.  Considering the publicized manner in which enemy combatants are treated, I don't think I'm necessarily unjustified to make it.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Oniya on October 25, 2015, 01:24:22 PM
Actually, I'm basing it off the assumption that enemy combatants in that area risk a fate worse than a clean death.  Considering the publicized manner in which enemy combatants are treated, I don't think I'm necessarily unjustified to make it.

His wives and children are enemy combatants to the Taliban? Also, whilst harsh time can push the age limit for a combatant down, I would say that in most cases if you are old enough to be fighting the Taliban, you are old enough to choose your fate and don't need someone else to do it for you.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on October 25, 2015, 01:13:16 PM
    ...however, all the information we have to go on is he said "I will kill my wife and children if I cannot stop the Taliban" He makes no mention of their wishes or any mitigating circumstances beyond the advance of the Taliban, so on balance, I'm going to take this ultra radical stance and say that that is wrong, based on the information available to me.
Actually, what we have to go by is this, from the article originally linked to:

QuotePandemonium broke out as people scrambled to flee, fearing an outcome much worse than in Kunduz, where Taliban death squads were accused of rape, summary executions and torching and plundering buildings.

I can not say with any certainty if those rumors about what the Taliban did are true or not, but it does sound like the local population feared the worse and did not expect the Taliban to treat any civilians in a civilized way, to put it mildly.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on October 25, 2015, 01:27:55 PM
  His wives and children are enemy combatants to the Taliban? Also, whilst harsh time can push the age limit for a combatant down, I would say that in most cases if you are old enough to be fighting the Taliban, you are old enough to choose your fate and don't need someone else to do it for you.

Anyone who does not follow their creed is an enemy combatant to the Taliban, regardless of if they are actively taking up arms or not.

EDIT: Rather, they do not recognize distinction between 'enemy combatants' and non-combatants/civilians. If you aren't on their side, you are fair game for whatever they want to do to you.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 25, 2015, 01:35:57 PM
Anyone who does not follow their creed is an enemy combatant to the Taliban, regardless of if they are actively taking up arms or not.

But the Taliban control a lot of Afghanistan. Is everyone in that region following their creed? I'm pretty sure they aren't. I'm not denying their will be summary executions, raping and pillaging, just that the Taliban probably won't kill 100% of his wives and children, whilst he plans to, and I believe an adult wife should be able to make the choice for herself, not have her husband make it for her, we which have zero evidence to assume isn't the case.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 25, 2015, 01:35:57 PM
EDIT: Rather, they do not recognize distinction between 'enemy combatants' and non-combatants/civilians. If you aren't on their side, you are fair game for whatever they want to do to you.

Yes, that's true. But it doesn't automatically mean their fate under Taliban occupation will be worse than death, and adult have a right to make that decision for them. Don't kill your adult wife without asking her first. I cannot believe how much resistant that stance is generating.

Mikem

I have a distaste of polygamy, especially male dominated, apologies for putting emphasis on that. My real point was the fact he was going to murder his entire family if he couldn't keep the Taliban away from them. So basically he's condemning his wives and daughters to hiding away helplessly, and then only to die if the city's militias fail.

Why can't the women fight as well? Female Kurds have been fighting for their homes. And haven't there been years of Heart's and Mind's missions where U.S. Soldiers show the Afghan populace that a Woman can indeed hold a rifle?

My Ons & Offs

Cycle

Quote from: Mikem on October 25, 2015, 03:26:13 PM
My real point was the fact he was going to murder his entire family if he couldn't keep the Taliban away from them.

Ah.  Okay, I misunderstood.  My apologies. 

Lustful Bride

There is now Helmet Camera footage of the US/Kurdish commando raid on the ISIS compound that held 70 hostages who were likely on the way to execution.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/helmet-camera-footage-shows-joint-us-delta-force-kurdish-raid-to-rescue-islamic-state-hostages/ar-BBmp2Nf?li=AA54ur&ocid=iehp

The raid resulted in a ton of dead Isis scum, a few Kurdish commandos injured and killed (but no specifics yet) and one Delta Force soldier killed while moving to give covering fire to the Kurdish.

Brave heroes all of them. And the compound was later destoyed by airstrikes, only thing left for Isis to scavenge are a few spent medical supplies and bags.

Beorning

Poland's parliamentary elections took place today. The exit polls indicate that the heavily conservative Law & Justice party is going to have majority in the new parliament. Also, there won't be any leftist MPs:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/226273,Exit-poll-signals-victory-for-conservative-Law-and-Justice-grouping-in-Polish-elections

I'm deeply worried because of these results, if you ask me...

Mikem

The reason why 5+5+5=15 is wrong under Common Core.

I'm so glad I graduated before that shit took hold. I had enough trouble with Math as it was. If I had to go through that Common Core crap you might as well take my Diploma away from me.

My Ons & Offs

Ebb

Quote from: Mikem on October 26, 2015, 05:53:18 AM
The reason why 5+5+5=15 is wrong under Common Core.

I'm so glad I graduated before that shit took hold. I had enough trouble with Math as it was. If I had to go through that Common Core crap you might as well take my Diploma away from me.

Interestingly, the two articles linked to in the one you posted both debunk what the first one said. I don't think the Business Insider article or video is very well done.

http://www.techinsider.io/insane-common-core-math-problems-go-viral-2015-10
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/10/21/why-would-a-math-teacher-punish-a-child-for-saying-5-x-3-15/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

The second one of those is particularly illuminating.

Common Core doesn't dictate exact test questions, or even how the material should be taught or scored. It does try to get kids to understand the thought process behind doing math problems rather than just following a procedure. From what I've seen of it, at least on the math side, it makes a lot of sense.

Nobody's saying that "5+5+5=15" is wrong. What they're saying is that the answer to "Use the repeated-addition strategy to solve: 5x3" is more properly "3+3+3+3+3=15", because they're trying to teach the student to look at "5x3" and think to themselves "Five three's". Knowing that that's equivalent to "three five's" is another good thing, but isn't part of this particular question.