News:

Main Menu

This Irks Me

Started by Ignaddio, July 06, 2008, 07:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignaddio

The National Collector's Mint, profiting off of people's emotions. -> 911twenty.com

Edit: Seems the U.S. Mint is not affiliated with the National Collector's mint. Nevertheless a reprehensible act.

Edit: Should probably not be giving them link weight >_>
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

Trieste

They have been doing that for quite a while now. Perhaps you missed the commemorative coins that had the stand-up silver twin towers that left a hole in the skyline on the gold coin... or a million other heartstring-pulling enterprises.

Then again, innovation is part of success in capitalism, so if we consider ourselves proud to be capitalists, we should then be proud of those who do well at it. *nods*

Ignaddio

Oh, this isn't the first time they've made me mad, it's just the first time I've said anything about it. It's those yellow "Support Our Troops" magnets all over again. Every dealer of those things I've seen has been a for-profit company that uses absolutely none of the money generated from that revenue to actually support our troops.

It wouldn't be a problem for me if they were sold at-cost, but people are making money off of my brothers in arms and I (me and my brothers in arms?) and we're getting nothing for it.

Opportunism like that just sort of makes me sick.
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

Cherri Tart

i SAW this last night! and my SO and i both sort of said to each other... 'wow, that's kind of tasteless.  Also, she pointed out that silver leaf it, in essence, tinfoil.  Just something else to consider.
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Caeli

I saw this commercial today while doing my homework. I didn't pay much attention, but when I did, I just thought sarcastically, "Wow... this is only a little disgusting."

Sigh.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Paradox

If it's really supposed to commemorate Americans, then why is it Liberian legal tender? Even there, it's Non-Circulating. Probably because even the Liberians know it's trash; still, why deal with a country whose ex-president admitted just a few months back that he had instructed his soldiers to eat UN peacekeepers to "set an example for the people to be afraid". Hooray capitalism. Hooray cannibalism.

Now, I'm all for capitalism. It's the backbone that this country was built upon. This silver-coated piece of shit, on the other hand, is a disgrace to our country. Cherri was right when she said it's only silver tinfoil. It's like electroplated gold but even more cheap. It comes in a collectors case because if you were to actually handle it, the silver would dent and fold due to it's thinness. I'm not sure what's underneath the silver...probably dog feces and the hearts of a thousand babies, knowing these unscrupulous bastards.

(does anyone find it especially tasteless that 9+11=$20 ?)

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Vekseid

Apparently, the National Collector's Mint has quite a few levies of fraud against its name.

Idej

Yeah, those commercials really irk me as well.  What I can see is that they are reopening the wound that is 9/11.  The wound to our country is not being let healed, because of these "commenorative" mints to show that we do not forget the pain that has been caused.  Well, we will forget, because all that we will remember are these fucking electroplated mints that keep on annoying the shit out of us.

OldSchoolGamer

The bottom line is that investing in precious metals is not a bad idea at this juncture, but I wouldn't go with that company.

The Overlord

The problem with this K-mart crap that 'commemorates' a national tragedy is that its the same thing we officially did with the concept of freedom. Post-911, we marketed freedom and turned it into a fucking product, anything from 'Freedom Fries' to things ten times dumber. We watered freedom down as a concept, and IMO the word doesn’t carry the same weight today that it should.

Rhapsody

I saw a couple of infomercials about similar products years ago.  Only then, they were pimping them out as "made with silver miraculously recovered from vaults beneath the wreckage at Ground Zero".  That phrasing, the "miraculously recovered" some metal, above anything else in that commercial really pissed me off.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.