Happily Ever After...? I think not.

Started by indarkestknight, January 03, 2007, 12:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indarkestknight

Been batting around this idea for a while, and have actually played it a bit with some friends, but I'm wondering what the creative minds of Elliquiy might do with it.

Those of you familiar with Wicked (either version), McFarlane's Twisted Oz, American McGee's Alice, or Endling's Everafter, that's the feel I'm going for.

What if all we knew about fairytales and stories was wrong? What if, in fact, the truth were much darker, too dark, in fact, for the world to bear? Well, this world, anyway. But the other world? The world of stories and dreams and legends? They live the nightmare, day in and day out.

I'm looking for a group of players, and I'm thinking this will largely be an epic quest/tale sort of game. Players will be asked whether they want their characters to be antagonists or protagonists (I'm careful of saying evil or good, as, well, you'll see)...

As an example, a previous character I've done, and hope to use again for this one, should no one want the "base", as it were...

Base: Tin Man
Allegiance: Protagonist
Description: The Tin Man, or Boq, as he was once called, appears far taller than he was when he was a Munchkin. Almost seven feet tall, he seems to be a man clad in an ornate, sable suit of full plate armor, the only indication of life within him the twin red points of light that emerge from where his eyes should be. In his hand, a giant, black axe easily rests, and clearly he knows how to use it. But, the truth of the matter is... there's nothing inside, for the Tin Man is the suit of armor, what's left of his soul and mind bound to the cage of his armor.
Powers: Aside from being a warrior skilled in the use of his battle-axe, the Tin Man controls the darkness where his heart should be with frightening aptitude (his axe, is, in fact, made from this darkness), and it able to use it in a variety of ways, drawing strength from his lack of remorse or mercy.
Weaknesses (not everyone will have these, I expect): Boq is without a heart. Which is to say, he has no positive feelings-- no hope, no love, no happiness. Only rage, despair, and loneliness, and even these are muted by the time spent without their contrasting emotions. While he does act as if he feels these, it is only because he knows he should act in this manner, and, should he ever free himself from these self-imposed shackles, the monster unleashed will be terrible to behold. As it stands, it is a good thing he doesn't have a conscience, as the only thing which can oil his armor is blood...

Other ideas? Toto as a werewolf? The White Rabbit as a chronomancer? The Beast as... well, the Beast? As long as it makes some sense in relation to the character...

AmberMK

So we could have something along the lines of Red Riding Hood not being nearly so innocent as she would like everyone to believe?  And by "not so innocent," I mean something along the lines of "slut".  Does that count?  Or is that too general?

indarkestknight

There could be that, yes.

Or this: http://www.spawn.com/toys/product.aspx?product=2631

Or this: http://ea.snafu-comics.com/?strip_id=27

Or a combination thereof. *shrugs* Just throwing stuff out there. Doesn't have to be that grim, though.

MechanicalImpulses

I've gotta say that you've Have me hooked already,  and I have dibs on The Mad Hatter.  I can imagine it now,  that zany cute madness was just a front for a brooding megalomaniac.  If that wasn't enough I'd say throw in a few psychic powers like mind control, and induce insanity and he'd be perfect.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8276.0 Ons and offs

Switch with heavy submissive tendencies.

I found my cattleprod!

WarDragon

Shouldn't you concentrate on the game you've already got running, Glab? ::)

indarkestknight

*chuckles* Already updated it, and, like I've said before, the mad rush from the end of last year is clearing up.

indarkestknight

Quote from: MechanicalImpulses on January 03, 2007, 03:23:40 PM
I've gotta say that you've Have me hooked already,  and I have dibs on The Mad Hatter.  I can imagine it now,  that zany cute madness was just a front for a brooding megalomaniac.  If that wasn't enough I'd say throw in a few psychic powers like mind control, and induce insanity and he'd be perfect.

;D Excellent. Glad to have you on board!

Ajoxer

Can you think of a better protagonist/antagonist than the Pumpkin King? A brilliant crafter of nightmares who has brief, passing, corrupting fantasies in other holidays, latching onto them in attempts to fill some aching hunger for something new.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

AmberMK

Ooohhh, now that idea for Red Riding Hood is hot... except for the guts part of course, lol.  I got dibs on her.  So she looks hot and innocent, but she's really a badass killer with a penchant for doing her victims in a rather grisly manner (probably more implied in my case, rather than fully described).  And of course, she should have red hair...

indarkestknight

But of course... *chuckles* Though I fully expect the Big Bad Wolf will still want a piece of her...

Goblinmoon

oooh I like this idea!  Although most of the typical fairy tale heroines would just lend themselved to slut...

This reminds me of the Red as Blood Fairytale series where people twist fairy tales...

I could see playing the 'Evil Queen from Snow White, but of course she's not really evil even if she is a witch.

indarkestknight

Well, you could pull a "Wicked", and turn her into a strong leading character with magical powers (Hopefully a tad darker than the typical magical girl, though, we're hoping.  ;)).

Goblinmoon

of course she won't be sweetness and light!  But definitely strong, after all she takes some pretty direct action to try and put her step daughter into place.

delle

No, Red Rding Hood would be a man! A serial rapist! He'd have red hair and love to do it doggy style. Red... ridin'... hoodlum!  ;D

I'm considering a bald Rapunzel...

GoldenChild

I would love to play the Big Bad Wolf... ;)

indarkestknight

*chuckles*

A bald Rapunzel...? Interesting.

BBW's all yours, GC.

So, everyone, I was thinking for the most part, the Fairytale realms would be ruled by the Faerie, a tyrannical aristocracy, and that their Court rests at the middle of the lands, with the four quarters (North, South, East, West), ruled by Fae-blooded half-breeds, deliniated by Spades, Hearts, Diamonds, and Clubs.

The protagonists will be working against the tyranny, and the antagonists will be working within the tyranny.

A rough outline, open to plenty of change based on player input.

MechanicalImpulses

Sounds extremely interesting to me.

I found my cattleprod!

AmberMK

Well, RRH wouldn't be the typical "slut" though.  She might act all innocent and slutty, but she's really just trying to get her victims of guard.  Of course, it might backfire on her every now and then.  I mean, the Big Bad Wolf's got to have someone to play with, right?   ;)

Cherri Tart

Hello everyone.  wow.  This sounds amazing.  I just recently joined and was peeking about through the ads and this just sort of jumped out and screamed at me (I almost fell backyards in my chair, sending my poor kittens scrambling out of the room).  Some suggestions... this fairly cries out for Hansel and Gretel (being eaten by the witch, of course) and let's not forget Cinderella - you could cast her in a D/S relationship with her stepmother and sisters.   

That being said, I was wondering if you'd care to take a new girl on as Alice in wonderland?  I could update the school girl look a bit, for starters.  I'm picuring her going from peril to peril, slightly clueless with very little control over what happens to her (just like in the book).
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

GoldenChild

Quote from: AmberMK on January 06, 2007, 10:42:32 AM
Well, RRH wouldn't be the typical "slut" though.  She might act all innocent and slutty, but she's really just trying to get her victims of guard.  Of course, it might backfire on her every now and then.  I mean, the Big Bad Wolf's got to have someone to play with, right?   ;)

No I agree, RRH wouldn't be a slut... not in the beginning. But then I would imagin BBW would have something to do to change that wouldn't it? :)

indarkestknight

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 06, 2007, 01:18:23 PM
Hello everyone.  wow.  This sounds amazing.  I just recently joined and was peeking about through the ads and this just sort of jumped out and screamed at me (I almost fell backyards in my chair, sending my poor kittens scrambling out of the room).  Some suggestions... this fairly cries out for Hansel and Gretel (being eaten by the witch, of course) and let's not forget Cinderella - you could cast her in a D/S relationship with her stepmother and sisters.   

That being said, I was wondering if you'd care to take a new girl on as Alice in wonderland?  I could update the school girl look a bit, for starters.  I'm picuring her going from peril to peril, slightly clueless with very little control over what happens to her (just like in the book).

*laughs* I'll see what I can do to incorporate them, and it would be a pleasure to have an Alice along with us, though, looking at the rest of those assembled, she might be needing her trusty Vorpal Blade...  ;) Though, if she does play the more innocent, clueless part, it'd be interesting to see if a big sister-little sister relationship develops between her and RRH.

Cherri Tart

I'm sort of familiar with the American McGee version too... if you'd prefer I could make her a lot darker... (thinks about it)  hmm... in fact, she might be a lot more interesting that way... (pictures Alice in goth/bondage gear, a wicked looking knife, and slightly mad)  <--more what you were thinking of?

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Caustic

Quote from: GoldenChild on January 05, 2007, 05:00:12 AM
I would love to play the Big Bad Wolf... ;)

FUCK.  Too slow.

I KNEW I should have skipped work yesterday...
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Caustic on January 06, 2007, 04:02:14 PM
FUCK.  Too slow.

I KNEW I should have skipped work yesterday...

You could probably do something interesting with the Cheshire cat, tho - just a thought :)  turn it into a demon tiger.

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Caustic

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 06, 2007, 04:05:18 PM
You could probably do something interesting with the Cheshire cat, tho - just a thought :)  turn it into a demon tiger.

Er... maybe. 

If we're sticking to Lewis Carroll, I could dig the Cheshire cat.  But wouldn't got with demonic tiger, probably... would stick with enigmatic, sarcastic, and maliciously prankish. 

However, I've always liked the Beast (i.e. Beauty and the Beast?)  But please don't think 'Disney' here.  Disney makes me want to choke people. 

So, for an open fairy-tale theme, I'd like to toss my hat in the ring for The Beast.

I can see it going one of two ways... either
a) A more subtle, cerebral type of character where being a "beast" doesn't mean being a giant raging monster with a heart of gold... it means being a highly-conflicted, perhaps slightly marred, human of incredible power, isolated and terrible in his castle... or board room, governor's office, high-rise, etc. ... until someone forces him to remember that he's human and, as such, really quite lonely.

OR b) the more craven alternative.  (mwah, hah hah).  A demi-human beast with extremely poor control over his emotions.  Like me, but cooler.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Cherri Tart

I was madly going through all the fairy tales I could think of and somehow I skipped that one.  Actually, that would be a perfect (and frightening) addition.  Suddenly, I'm thinking I want to switch from Alice to Beauty... hmm... *smiles shyly*  So many temptations, so little willpower.

O/O, Cherri Flavored

indarkestknight

As far as both Alice and Beast go, it's up to you as the players. I provide ideas and suggestions, but, in the end, if you don't play what you want, you won't be as happy, so I won't be doing my GM job very well, will I?

*laughs*

And Cherri Tart? Don't feel limited by the original legends by any means. Perhaps in this incarnation, Alice could be Beast's Beauty.

Caustic

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 06, 2007, 04:18:48 PM
I was madly going through all the fairy tales I could think of and somehow I skipped that one.  Actually, that would be a perfect (and frightening) addition.  Suddenly, I'm thinking I want to switch from Alice to Beauty... hmm... *smiles shyly*  So many temptations, so little willpower.

... oh, really?
I can't say how glad I am to hear that.  *grin*

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Caustic on January 06, 2007, 06:23:54 PM
... oh, really?
I can't say how glad I am to hear that.  *grin*

the part about being Beauty or the part about having no willpower? *smile*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Glabrezubane on January 06, 2007, 06:18:50 PM
As far as both Alice and Beast go, it's up to you as the players. I provide ideas and suggestions, but, in the end, if you don't play what you want, you won't be as happy, so I won't be doing my GM job very well, will I?

*laughs*

And Cherri Tart? Don't feel limited by the original legends by any means. Perhaps in this incarnation, Alice could be Beast's Beauty.

*hand over mouth, trying not to giggle nervously*  The problem is, I have too many ideas fluttering through my head right now.  At some point in time I need to sit down and create a character - up until then I'm likley to be a bit wishy washy (although, to be fair, I'm starting to flesh out my Alice/(Beauty?) even as  I type) *looks thoughtful*  - to heck with the rest you you, I'm playing her the way I want to play her and no one can stop me!  *blushes, but stands firm* 

Thanks for the thoughts, Glabrezubane - I think I just needed a catalyst.   Now... being new here... should I PM you a character description?  When would you like it by?  Would you like some left over spagetti...? 

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Caustic

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 06, 2007, 06:32:09 PM
the part about being Beauty or the part about having no willpower? *smile*

I'm just sayin'...  *smirk*  And can I have that character description, if you don't mind sharing?

Cherri Tart

*eyes light up with excitment *As soon as I write it up, I'll send it to you, Caustic.

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Caustic

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 06, 2007, 06:39:42 PM
*eyes light up with excitment *As soon as I write it up, I'll send it to you, Caustic.

Same here.  Looking forward to it.

indarkestknight

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 06, 2007, 06:33:09 PM
*hand over mouth, trying not to giggle nervously*  The problem is, I have too many ideas fluttering through my head right now.  At some point in time I need to sit down and create a character - up until then I'm likley to be a bit wishy washy (although, to be fair, I'm starting to flesh out my Alice/(Beauty?) even as  I type) *looks thoughtful*  - to heck with the rest you you, I'm playing her the way I want to play her and no one can stop me!  *blushes, but stands firm* 

Thanks for the thoughts, Glabrezubane - I think I just needed a catalyst.   Now... being new here... should I PM you a character description?  When would you like it by?  Would you like some left over spagetti...? 

*grins* I've been there, believe me... I think we all have, at one point or another. I'm just glad you've taken this and run with it.

It'd be great to get the character outlines soon (Now that I think we have enough players, I'll PM some goddesses about getting a thread opened) by PM, but it isn't required. We'll probably try to get the game started sometime next weekend, so any time before then would be just fine. And, no, my dear, I'd rather have you... *wicked grin*

HairyHeretic

This sounds like a lot of fun, but I seem to be coming up blank on inspiration for a character. Time to start googling world fairytales.

Edit - Would a Sandman work? This one doesn't just bring sleep and dreams, no. He stays around to interact with them. He is an artist, a breeder and creator of dreams, using the canvas of the sleeper. Those finest ones he takes with him again when they wake, so they may be kept and admired forever. Or, if they're incomplete he can return to the dreamer and ensure they properly run their course. The best are played over and over again, as he savours the emotions of the dreamer.

Suitable?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Glabrezubane on January 06, 2007, 06:53:30 PM
*grins* I've been there, believe me... I think we all have, at one point or another. I'm just glad you've taken this and run with it.

It'd be great to get the character outlines soon (Now that I think we have enough players, I'll PM some goddesses about getting a thread opened) by PM, but it isn't required. We'll probably try to get the game started sometime next weekend, so any time before then would be just fine. And, no, my dear, I'd rather have you... *wicked grin*

Oh, yes - it's such a wonderful idea, how could I not?   Oh, and I think, that at some point in time, you probably will have me *smile*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

indarkestknight

Quote from: hairyheretic on January 06, 2007, 06:56:22 PMEdit - Would a Sandman work? This one doesn't just bring sleep and dreams, no. He stays around to interact with them. He is an artist, a breeder and creator of dreams, using the canvas of the sleeper. Those finest ones he takes with him again when they wake, so they may be kept and admired forever. Or, if they're incomplete he can return to the dreamer and ensure they properly run their course. The best are played over and over again, as he savours the emotions of the dreamer.

Suitable?

Most interesting... I like it. One of my favorite comics has been Neil Gaiman's Sandman, so I've no objections whatsoever, even though I doubt this Sandman and Morpheus shall be terribly similiar.

HairyHeretic

Only Neil Gaiman I've read is American Gods.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

DancerTamara

I know I've just gotten access today, but this drew my attention right away.  I adore faerie tales, especially the dark ones.  I'd like to be the robber maiden from The Snow Queen, all fierce and cruel, with her sharp knives and her captives and her penchant for torment.  I've always loved that bit from The Snow Queen.  I'm picturing her, visually, somewhat like the Tyrant from Barbarella.  

In case you're not familiar, here are a couple of pics-

AmberMK

I'll try to get a description for RRH out by next weekend then, though I am kinda busy until then.   ;)

Caustic

I love Barbarella... it still makes me laugh.

Goblinmoon

I"m still wondering how you're going to get them all to work together!

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Caustic on January 07, 2007, 07:12:02 PM
I love Barbarella... it still makes me laugh.

Actually, I love that movie - it's so over the top, but I love the sets and the fashions - wish I owned some of those outfits myself. 

O/O, Cherri Flavored

indarkestknight

The threat of mutual destruction is usually enough to pull together rag-tag groups...

Cherri Tart

Quote from: Glabrezubane on January 07, 2007, 11:25:27 PM
The threat of mutual destruction is usually enough to pull together rag-tag groups...

And if that doesn't work, he's threatened to throw away the keys on these damn chasity belts he's got us wearing *looks perplexed, a hairpin in one hand and skeleton key in the other*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

indarkestknight

Magical chastity belts. No picking these locks...*wicked grin*

Welcome onboard, DancerTamara! *grins* And the team seems to be getting more and more rag-tag...

Cherri Tart

*laughs*  it really is a rather motely crew.  *throws down her tools in disgust*  This is so unfair, Glabrezubane.  It was bad enough I had to promise you my first born.

O/O, Cherri Flavored

MechanicalImpulses

Whatever happens.... no one is messing with my Goddamn hat....

I found my cattleprod!

Cherri Tart

Quote from: MechanicalImpulses on January 07, 2007, 11:45:21 PM
   Whatever happens.... no one is messing with my Goddamn hat....

*Sneaks  up behind Mechi, pokes his hat with one finger, runs away giggling*

O/O, Cherri Flavored

MechanicalImpulses

::Cradles the hat in his arms::  It'll be alright...  I won't let anyone hurt you....

I found my cattleprod!

indarkestknight

Quote from: Cherri Tart on January 07, 2007, 11:42:25 PM
*laughs*  it really is a rather motely crew.  *throws down her tools in disgust*  This is so unfair, Glabrezubane.  It was bad enough I had to promise you my first born.

*smirks, eyes glittering* As if your first born wouldn't be mine anyway, my dear?

Cherri Tart

*grins*  well, you're going to have to wait an awfully long time. 

O/O, Cherri Flavored

MechanicalImpulses

I found my cattleprod!

indarkestknight