[Game of Thrones] War of the Usurper - seeking players and GMs

Started by Karma, July 21, 2013, 10:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It has been two hundred and eighty two years since Aegon the Conqueror took Westeros for his own. King Aerys II sits the iron throne, however uncomfortably. The past six years have been a trying time for the realm; the Defiance of Duskendale has sent the previously well-loved Aerys II Targaryen in an ever-accelerating spiral into open, untempered madness. The realm, already fraying at the edges, has just gone over the edge into proper chaos.

The glittering prince, Rhaegar Targaryen, astounded the realm when he crowned Lyanna Stark as his Queen of Love and Beauty at a tournament at Harrenhal and proceeded to carry her off a year later. Outraged by this act and accusing him of kidnapping her, the Wild Wolf Brandon Stark charged down to King’s Landing and demanded that Rhaegar come out and die. The king captured Brandon and his entourage, demanded the fathers of the “traitors” come down to King’s Landing to answer for their crimes, and proceeded to murder them all, among them the heir to the Eyrie and Rickard Stark, who was roasted alive in his armor. Brandon was tied in a loose noose and strangled himself trying to reach his sword to save his father.

Aerys was not finished. He demanded that Jon Arryn, lord of the Eyrie, deliver Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark to him, but Arryn was not having it, especially after the death of his heir. The Eyrie, closely followed by the North, the Riverlands, and the Stormlands, rose against the throne.

NOW: The Battle of Summerhall has just concluded with Robert emerging thoroughly victorious, having smashed three separate armies one after another and winning them to his cause in the wake of his victory. The realm is in turmoil as lords decide where their loyalties lie, with even the rebel regions being divided amongst themselves. As the main forces clash, smaller forces battle constantly within the Eyrie and Stormlands, but the rebellion is gaining strong momentum, with each day bringing both regions more into its fold. The Riverlands are mostly for Robert, with the Freys choosing to abstain for the time being as they are wont to do. The North is united behind Eddard and Robert.

This is envisioned as primarily a two-part game, split between the Loyalists and the Rebels, focusing on King’s Landing and the rebel camp. We’ll follow the war as much as we can know it, keeping typically within canon barriers, but filling in where we need to. Personally I would prefer to keep most of the established characters such as Aerys, Eddard, Robert, etc as NPCs to be played by GMs or incidentally, but I’m not going to rule anything out. Everything is open to discussion, especially since I don’t personally have the time to properly run this. If we could get someone well-versed in the books to be the “head” of each camp, that would be lovely.

I am at the very least available to advise and direct, but I don’t know how hands-on I can be. Most of my time is taken up with work and what little free time I have has to go toward finishing my schoolwork most of the time. If this game needs me to run it actively, I have to say it probably won’t run at all. So tell your friends!

Here is the wiki article about Robert’s Rebellion.

With the third season ending recently, I was surprised to see nothing popping up for it. Now, I've been very busy lately and couldn't run it, and I'm not even sure I could play in it, but I'd be happy to help organize and advise at the very least. I've just completed a re-read of all five books and three side stories, so I'm pretty well prepared for it. What would y'all be looking for in such a game?

Primarch

I'd be quite interested and if I might offer some a suggestion, I'd recommend the plot be focused on a certain location or group. Trying to facilitate everyone and everything provides so many options most won't be populated and characters will be spread out.

On another note something set during Robert's Rebellion would be of high interest to me.

Good points. The rebellion is an interesting period... there's much that we think we know of it, but FFC/DWD are seriously challenging the preconceptions that we've developed from the previous books. GRRM says it will all be revealed in the last two books, but of course we've just got theories and assumptions about the major motivations behind the war.  With that in mind, the smaller the scope of our story the better. All the things we don't know are mostly the stuff of rumor and highborn back room dealings so shouldn't impact it all that much.

doodasaurus

I'd kill for a chance to play Jaime Lannister during Robert's rebellion.  Just sayin'.  ;D

Primarch

If there was a pair of people to run it, one to run the Mad King's Court and one to run Robert's camp it would be possible to represent the two major factions at least.

I'd like to say I could do it, as I know I'm capable, but my ability to post has been beyond unreliable for so long now that I'm afraid to make any commitments. :(

Hopefully a more specific title will draw a few eyes. Were I to play, I'd likely play Ellyn Hill, one of Cersei's ladies that got left behind in King's Landing when Tywin skipped town. She'd be a friend of Jaime's at the very least.

doodasaurus

Jaime's friend at the very least.  ;D

Haha. Don't forget that Jaime has been with no one but Cersei.

GhettoMagick

I would play to play a Dothraki or Khaleesi
I wanna be loved by you. Just you. And everyone else too. I wanna be loved by everyone. ;o)

Thanks for looking in! If the game goes forward as planned, the only place for a Dothraki would be as a sell sword. The rebellion was contained to Westeros, with little to no involvement of Essos, and the Dothraki are well known for never crossing the Narrow Sea. The one exception to this is Zollo, a mercenary belonging to the Brave Companions.

Alrighty folks, I threw together a proper pitch for this game. Should make it a bit more attractive, yeah?

Rajah

Are you looking for someone to run this in the Green Ronin system, or freeform?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

doodasaurus

Quote from: Karma on July 24, 2013, 09:09:49 PM
Alrighty folks, I threw together a proper pitch for this game. Should make it a bit more attractive, yeah?

I hope so!  ;D

I've found systems to be just another obstacle to keeping a group game going.

*That said, I'll look into it if I can find the time. It may make certain things easier. I wasn't aware you were referring to an ASOIAF system!

Primarch

Wouldn't mind giving Arthur Dayne a go, or maybe Robert himself.

Hm. There aren't too many players at the moment, but if we each take one role in each camp, that'll fill it out nicely.

Name: Ellyn Lantell

Ethnicity: Andal Westerosi

Hometown: Lannisport

Description: As Cersei tired of her childhood friends, and especially after the tragic fall of Melara Hetherspoon, Lord Tywin reached out to his family and bannermen for a new group of friends. Foremost among these was Ellyn Lantell. Lantell was an old branch of Lannister that was either bastard-founded or intermingled with Martells, but the truth had been lost in history, and they had intermarried with the Lannisters enough times for it to be of no importance in the present. Ellyn was already rising quickly as a prospective marriage for many a minor lord, and this only intensified with her association with Cersei. A likely lady of the court, she is as gracious as any lady could be, and beautiful enough to be confused for Cersei by those who didn’t know them.

When Tywin and his host left King’s Landing, Ellyn remained behind, ostensibly to represent the Lannisters at social events and to be a friendly face for Jaime Lannister, who was oath-bound to remain with the king.

Personality: On the surface Ellyn appears to be everything a lady of the high court is meant to be: beautiful, clever, gracious, and most importantly available. She is quite thorough in her court engagements, being quick to speak heartily with any that approach her, making sure everyone feels welcome and freeing the better-born of her peers to avoid the less tasteful guests. There are whispers about her, but only of the most gossipy variety; ladies mutter at the likelihood of Ellyn retaining her maidenhead, and titter about her proximity to golden, glorious Jaime. Ellyn is sure to encourage any and all rumors about her. An avid reader, she maintains a small library of her own filled with books recommended by maesters and her “cousin” Tyrion.

Secrets: Ellyn was instructed by Tywin himself to stay behind and inform on the goings-on of the court. Her middling birth makes her somewhat inconspicuous as court personalities go, but her favor with the Lannisters makes certain people more willing to open up to her for fear of reprisal. However, her activities are not limited to family duty. She has ambitions of her own that aren’t satisfied by Tywin’s sort of gratitude.

Ellyn’s father would never admit it to others, but he believes he is not her biological parent. He has shared this with Ellyn when in his cups or wroth.

While she takes care to flirt openly with Jaime, as would be expected of her, there is no truth to the rumors beyond that. For some reason, Jaime seems to show little interest in women past flirtation. She’s been around him long enough to know something’s up, though what it could be is beyond her. He shows even less interest in men.

Threw this together for an example of an original character. I might pick up Eddard Stark for Robert's camp as well, if the game goes ahead.

I take it we've got a stillbirth, then? Ah well. It was worth the attempt. :)

doodasaurus

For what it is worth, I'm a little sick right now - I get that way from time to time - so I am not able to do IC posting, but I am still interested.  But if others aren't . . .

Yeah, there's just not enough interest. Not when I can't take on full GMing myself, anyway.

The Dark Raven

*peeks in*

I just saw this.

If there are possibilities, I'd love to guest spot or play as Lyanna Stark (if it is permissible and if the story is still going).

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.