Looking for a Fight

Started by Phantasmatical, December 04, 2010, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantasmatical

I'd like to get a little practice in writing fight scenes, of all varieties. I'm looking for a quick-post thread, with individual posts being maybe 200-250 words on average (that number takes a little over five minutes to write at an average typing speed). I have specific characters I'd like to use, which I'll list below. In terms of the outcome... I don't really care whether we decide beforehand who wins or just write the scene and see what happens. Either way, the idea is for each fight to last a few hours of total writing time, no more, and quite possibly less. If we could plan it so that we're both on at the same time and could post back and forth almost immediately, that would be awesome.

Characters/Fight Styles:

Nicodemus is a werewolf who has not one, but four alternate forms. The forms other than human all serve a different purpose. One is the form of a normal wolf, another is a lion-sized wolf built for power, another is a hulking mostly-bipedal mix of wolf and human (see "Underworld" for an accurate example), and the last is a mostly-human form with slightly greater strength, faster reflexes, and sharper senses. Weapons used: Maybe a knife at the beginning. Otherwise only items at hand.

Remy de Montagne is a chevalier and defender of his queen and country. He is moving toward the age of retirement, but any physical slowing down he might show is made up for with skill and hard-earned experience. He wears armor, and fights from horseback as long as possible before dismounting. Weapons used: Lance, sword.

Vincent "Vinny Shots" Agnello is a mob enforcer who takes orders from the Boss, and no one else. He acts as a hitman sometimes, while other times he just gets sent out to deal a little violence as a warning. Experienced, cool under pressure and with a lot to lose, Vinny is one of the most dangerous men in the Big Apple. His main physical weakness is his bad knee. Weapons used: handgun, knife, items at hand, fists.

Jin is a martial artist who uses a combination of watchful defence and explosive offence to wear his opponents down and then defeat them quickly. He is determined and focused, with youth on his side, but is not experienced in combat outside of sparring matches. Weapons used: Staff, fists, items at hand.

Rena Valance is a warrior who fights best from the back of Hecate, her fire-breathing wyvern. She uses ferocity and aggressive aerial maneuvering to get rid of an enemy quickly, but her tactics can leave her mount tired and vulnerable if the fight drags on too long. She is heavily armored, and though she prefers not to she can use a sword on the ground. Weapons used: Shortbow, longknife, sword.

- - -

I am open to fights involving magical/supernatural beings as well. I don't count Nicodemus or Rena in this category because although they do have fantastical elements, neither actually uses magic of any variety. If you'd like to do a magical/psychic/etc battle, I'd like to discuss the "rules of the world" first so we don't have any misunderstandings, but otherwise I'm completely open to the idea and do have character ideas for that as well.

I also have other ideas for types of combat: fencing, sword&board, axe or mace, etc aren't mentioned above, and would be interesting as well. The only thing I'm not really interested in doing is a long-range combat or fight whose combatants depend on attacking from the shadows.

This is for fun, but also for improvement (at least on my end), so if we start the roleplay and there's something you see that could definitely be improved, let me know. If you want similar feedback from me, let me know and I'd be happy to help you improve as best I can as well.

Kendra

Hi Phantasmatical,

I seriously love a good fight scene so would love the opportunity to do one of these with you.
I would be leaning towards either the chevalier, the martial artist or indeed the werewolf.

I'm happy to set up a character to use for any one of these so which ever one you are most eager to roleplay just let me know.

;)

Phantasmatical

Hmm... Among those three I'd say Remy would be my favorite, followed by Nicodemus, then Jin... Though the order I need practice is the exact reverse. :P I'd be happy to do more than one if you're interested, since these are going to be fairly short.

Where would you like to do the roleplay? I'm fine with forums, PM, email, or some kind of IM. Also, what times are you typically available? I'm not normally on at this time of day; I'm normally online in the evening (GMT-5).

Kendra

More than one is fine and we can keep it to the non-adult if you wish or bring it over to the ONE SHOT STORY board.
I tend to be on whenever I can get on lol

evening time is fine as well ;)
I'd usually be on after 8pm then

Well how about we start with Remy and move to Jin and keep Nicodemus till last ;)
That'll give me time to hash up characters for the roles.
You would prefer the opponents to be male or female?

Phantasmatical

Doesn't matter to me which board we put it in, although one shot story might make more sense, despite the fact that this little exercise isn't going to be adult themed - you know, besides the bloodshed.

I work the closing shift tomorrow at work, but I'll be home by midnight and showered/ready for the rest of the evening by 12:30. Want to meet then? I have the same schedule on Wednesday evening as well.

That sounds fine to me. :)

It doesn't really matter what sex the opponents are, really. Thanks to the setting he comes from, Remy would be very reluctant to fight a woman, but that might just make an interesting way for her to take advantage of him by making him underestimate her. In the end, so long as female characters aren't dressed in attire completely unsuitable for combat, I don't care either way.

Kendra

I'll try to be on for that time but can't promise you anything ... I've been getting less than a decent nights sleep for a while now and slowly starting to catch up.
If I'm on great, if I'm not just post up a start up thread and pm me the link.

If using women they'll be dressed appropriately for battle not to worry there.
Completely understood here that there will be NO godmoding of characters whatsoever.

Phantasmatical

Okay; will do.

No, definitely no godmoding. The entire point of the exercise is to practice combat, which includes injuries, exhaustion, and all that good stuff. What's the point in writing a fight at all if one character is going to be played as some kind of unbeatable machine?

Kendra

oh wow ... if I'd known you were going to be on sooner would have asked you to post up lol

Yes well just making sure, because no matter how many times it gets mentioned, someone ends up doing it regardless ;)