DC Very AU: Justice Academy [Recruitment Thread]

Started by TheBlackThrone, October 13, 2018, 09:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackThrone

This is currently a WIP, but a reminder to all approved. There's an OOC be sure to check the front page for the link.

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

Face Claim: Nick Bateman
Name: Hal Jordan
Alias: None yet.
Archetype: Green Lantern
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 186 lbs (84 kg)
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Race: Human

Personality: Hal is a little immature, but once he sets his mind on something, then he is determined to make whatever it is happen—whether they be dreams or aspirations. Even though he means well, he is known to be reckless and often times a troublemaker. The young man likes to drink, and he could be a borderline alcoholic. He is bad with money and he’s bad with remembering important dates. He isn’t exactly a stereotypical role model of a hero, in fact, he doesn’t even know why he’s been summoned to this crazy school. Wasn’t he supposed to be taking the ASVAB?

Current Story: Harold “Hal” Jordon was born the middle child of three sons to Martin and Jessica Jordan. His father was (and currently is) an Air Force test pilot working for Ferris Air. As a teenager, Hal struggled through school often getting into fights (which was what inspired him to become a boxer). His oldest brother, Jack, was the smartest, and he always received honors, and second to him was his younger brother Jim. As much as Hal looked up to his father and his career, Hal was always criticized by his family to be the “dumb one” when really high school education just never really interested him. Hal did enough to get by and never desired to be anything more than that. Upon completing high school, Hal moved out of his house to get away from his family. He did it to prove to his brothers that he was a “man” and couldn’t keep living at home. Meanwhile, Jack had gotten accepted into college and was working on his political science degree.

Hal moved out, got his own apartment, and worked at a fast food restaurant as he used the money to pay for his rent. Unfortunately, he wasn’t making enough money and started to struggle. As he slowly crept closer to eviction, Hal desperately sought out a job in the Armed Forces. Remembering his dream to become a pilot like his father, he thought about impressing him by joining the Air Force. Preparing to go to the Coast City MEPS, Hal would eventually awaken one morning and discover that he wasn’t in his apartment anymore.

Powers:

• Green Lantern Power Ring: Hal Jordan can shoot green laser beams from his power ring. He can also form constructs, by using his thoughts and the power ring to create an object that he can use to fight his enemies. The power ring can not affect any object that is yellow. The power ring runs out of power after a time, and can only be recharged by a Green Lantern Battery. The power ring also supplies information when asked a question.
    • Flight: Hal could fly through the lower atmosphere and outer space at any speed.
    • Cosmic Awareness: Hal gains a deep understanding of the universe.
  • Green Lantern Ring Master: Hal's constructs are among the most powerful. When he creates them, one often witnesses an "afterburner" behind Jordan of all his stray thoughts unconnected to the job at hand.
Abilities:

• Skilled Boxer: Hal has been boxing since high school.
  • Expert Pilot: Hal was planning on becoming a pilot in the Air Force until his life suddenly took an unexpected turn.

Character Relations: To be added as the story develops.

IC link has been posted on the front page. Also, be sure to checkout the OOC for my GM announcements will be posted there.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

Lady Lunarius

*Peeks in* I'd like to claim Super Girl please
LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

TheBlackThrone

The gates are open

TheBlackThrone

The front page is up-to-date. The Justice Academy is still in the entry stages of the game where characters are showing up to the school. If there is anyone else still wishing to join this game, then please drop a character reservation and be prepared to have a completed CS submitted to me in 7 days from that reservation date.
The gates are open

Sye

TheBlackThrone

The gates are open

Captain Whitebread

I am certainly interested but picking a character might be difficult.  I tend to go for odd, offbeat and unknown characters or those with limited or apparently useless powers.

Is the alternate universe Lex Luthor a possibility or does he fall under the villain ban?

What about Bouncing Boy from the Legion or Superheroes or is that too fan into the future?

Lastly I'm thinking about Black Condor, specifically the John Trujillo version.   
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Captain Whitebread on October 30, 2018, 10:52:14 PM
I am certainly interested but picking a character might be difficult.  I tend to go for odd, offbeat and unknown characters or those with limited or apparently useless powers.

Is the alternate universe Lex Luthor a possibility or does he fall under the villain ban?

What about Bouncing Boy from the Legion or Superheroes or is that too fan into the future?

Lastly I'm thinking about Black Condor, specifically the John Trujillo version.

I would stick with Justice League or Teen Titan characters. No villains.
The gates are open

Captain Whitebread

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on October 30, 2018, 11:17:09 PM
I would stick with Justice League or Teen Titan characters. No villains.

Black Condor is a member of Justice league International.  Not the version I want to use but it's a start.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Captain Whitebread on October 31, 2018, 02:09:45 AM
Black Condor is a member of Justice league International.  Not the version I want to use but it's a start.

I am not accepting Black Condor. All incarnations are best noted for their involvement in the Freedom Fighters. Choose from the Justice League or Teen Titans please.
The gates are open

Captain Whitebread

Norsegod1839

I don't mean to jump in but I think he's looking for the more popular ones Ie the core members and what not.

Just a quick google search on Bloodwynd but I'm unsure on where this would even fit in? Because I see he joined the Justice League but while posing as Martian Manhunter?

Sye

I've seen him in comics and kind of think he sounds cool and is part of the Justice League. I was looking at Atlee at one point and she isn't well known either.

Norsegod1839

Captain Whitebread

I prefer to avoid well known canon characters, so being restricted to the JL and TT makes it difficult to choose. I was under the impression that this was an alternate universe and character backgrounds were being rewritten. 

If I wanted to play Martian Manhunter pretending to be Bloodwynd while under the control of Rott (technically making him a villain), I would have asked to reserve Martian Manhunter or requested Bloodwynd and PM’d BlackThrone with what I was actually doing

TheBlackThrone

I don't allow players to play characters who rely on another one existing. Bloodwynd relies on Martian Manhunter to exist just as all of Batman's sidekicks do (with a few independent exceptions such as Nightwing). I will not allow you to play Martian Manhunter just so you can kick him to the curb once your character emerges. That is a waste of a playable role.
The gates are open

Captain Whitebread

Bloodwynd relied on the existence of Martial Manhunter for one storyline.  And if you think I'd treat ANY character with such cavalier disregard, you don't know me that well.

I don't like RPing canon characters and I tend to avoid the better known characters when I do have to RP them.  It is why I pick the more obscure characters.  I pulled up a list of JL characters and that is where I found Bloodwynd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Justice_League_members

Oddly The Question is absent from that list.   He's from JLU (Justice League Unlimited) so it surprises me.  One wonders who else is left out....

I'm trying to find a character that fits the criteria.  I'm not trying to be difficult.  I'm open to advice or suggestions that will produce a character that fits both our requirements....

Timeless

May I suggest maybe.. Constantine? Maybe Azrael or Blue Beetle?

Other than that, I usually don't roleplay canon characters to begin with, especially since I don't think I could do them justice. But I just adore Raven as a character, so I figured I just try anyways.

TheBlackThrone

Also, if you can't find an acceptable character, then just don't join the game rather than go through all of this trouble. This isn't the only DC RP up right now.
The gates are open

Captain Whitebread

This may not be the only DC game available but it is the one with the most intriguing premise.

The question as to whether the character is acceptable isn't mine to answer.  All I can do is ask about the ones I find intriguing.

Do you consider The Question aka Vic Sage an acceptable character?  He's a JL character.

Blue Beetle is an interesting possibility.  I've been a long-time fan of the Ted Kord version, so much so that I'd have a difficult time replicating the persona.  If you don't think he's OP, I'd certain be willing to play Jaime Reyes, who covers all bases by being JL AND TT!

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Captain Whitebread on November 01, 2018, 07:16:01 PM
This may not be the only DC game available but it is the one with the most intriguing premise.

The question as to whether the character is acceptable isn't mine to answer.  All I can do is ask about the ones I find intriguing.

Do you consider The Question aka Vic Sage an acceptable character?  He's a JL character.

Blue Beetle is an interesting possibility.  I've been a long-time fan of the Ted Kord version, so much so that I'd have a difficult time replicating the persona.  If you don't think he's OP, I'd certain be willing to play Jaime Reyes, who covers all bases by being JL AND TT!

Like the Helmet of Fate, the Blue Beetle could have fallen into anyone's hands, so honestly, you can make an OC (the person not the scarab) for the Blue Beetle scarab if you want. Because in AU, anyone could have inherited it. Vic Sage, I would also allow in this game. The one thing I advise you to do because many players were forgetting to do it, is to "GRAY" out powers and abilities your characters don't have or know yet.

For whoever you decide to play...if it's the Blue Beetle, then your character will not have acquired the Blue Beetle Scarab yet since it is an independent AI. So you'll have to write a CS for an average joe until in-game the fated situation happens.
The gates are open

Sye

Captain Whitebread

I will opt for The Question

At this point he would just be an avid conspiracy theorist who had not yet gotten his hands on the face putty or the gas to activate it.

I will have a CS submitted for approval before the end of the weekend.

Thanks!

Sye

Captain Whitebread

Face Claim:Prince Harry
Name: Charles Victor Szasz aka Vic Sage
Alias: None
Archetype: The Question
Height: 6' 2”
Weight: 185 lbs
Hair Color: Red (Brown under the effects of Pseudoderm adhesive)
Eye Color: Blue (Cannot be seen under Pseudoderm)
Race: Human
Personality: Victor grew up in an orphanage and never knew his parents.  When he realized he carried he same name as a ruthless murderer, he began going by Victor (Vic) Sage.  Without any history of his own, he began trying to find meaning in the seemingly random world around him, turning him into a lifelong conspiracy theorist.  When Dr Fate offered to help him see the pattern behind the ebb and flow of all reality, he jumped at the chance.  Victor is a study in contradictions.  He's a loner but he's left a long list of broken hearts behind him and is more than capable of working with a team.  He's paranoid but he's naive.  His true face is not the one he wears but the one he will assume when he becomes The Question; a blank featureless mask.  He has been called a sociopathic narcissist but then those were the words of a jilted ex-lover, so they need to be taken with a grain of salt.  The things he is interested in, he borders on the fanatical.  All else he finds boring.  He is passionate about journalism, justice and finding the answer to the ultimate question: "What's REALLY going on?".  His harsh upbringing, martial arts training and 'true warrior spirit' has helped him to forge an iron will. 

Current Story: In a city as corrupt as Hub City, it would be a miracle if someone hadn't started training orphans as pick-pockets and burglars.  A masked man who called himself Fagin was responsible for instructing selected pre-teen orphans in these skills as well as the more computer based skills of hacking and identity theft.  Victor was an excellent student but he saw the damage his actions were causing and turned against the gang.  He ended up being frequently beaten for refusing to obey Fagin.

Victor spent as much  time as he could away from the orphanage and Fagin's gang as possible but he still received frequent beatings from the other orphans until he learned to properly defend himself.  He learned akido and kung fu under the tutelage of Richard Dragon.  The philosophy of the martial arts helped him deal with his anger issues and introduced him to spirituality and objectivism. The skills he learned allowed him to defend himself.  When he was finally able to give back better than he got, the gang left him alone, knowing that, even if he went to the police, no one would believe him.

Victor was able to discover a use for his second-storey skills when he reached high-school – gymnastics and to a lesser extent, acrobatics.  Guided by Charles Hayes, a former Olympian, he applied himself to these disciplines.  He competed at the state level but did not manage to win a spot on a national team.  He continued his gymnastics while in college but never found a teacher as dedicated or as skilled as Hayes.

A chance encounter with the school paper editor sparked his interest in journalism as a career.  He learned the skills an investigative report would need from Lois Lane herself.  He developed a crush on her; she thought his interest was creepy.  The investigative skills he learned, combined with his awareness of the corruption in Hub City, spurred him to seek out the underlying factors that were responsible for all things.  His interest (some say obsession) with conspiracy theories got its start at this  point.  He continued his interest in journalism into college and has earned some time in front of the college news cameras as an a roving reporter, with an eye on the anchor position.

Powers: NA

Short Term
Psedoderm Mask - Victor will eventually gain access to both Pseudoderm (an artificial skin replacement) and the adhesive that affixes it to human skin.  The adhesive has the additional ability to alter the colour of specially treated organic materials, like clothing and hair, explaining Victor's altered appearance when acting as the Question.

Long Term
Urban Shaman – A extension of his Zen philosphy, Vic has developed the ability to commune with the 'heart' and 'soul' of any large city, as if it were a person.  He can frequently get help by offering stream-of-consciousness improv poetry as incantations.

Cities know everything that happen within them (barring cloaking effects). They can provide clear portents when supplicated. For instance, a dripping fluid could form an arrow pointing toward what the shaman is looking for, or a long crack could appear in the pavement leading the supplicant to a specific place.

Vic is in touch with chthonic energy – known as ley lines, chi, earth forces, etc.. In his view they are channelled through large cities rather than, say, megalithic alignments or ponds with crooked bridges. If he’s present at a major nexus (such as a major Hong Kong building built to act as a feng shui node, Stonehenge, etc.) he will soak chi in and become even more dangerous.

Spiritual Combat (Astral Projection)
Vic can meet other shamanic types in a sort of spirit combat. This is feasible as long as both fighters will have some type of astral projection ability.
The fight is invisible in the physical world. The only thing onlookers can notice is that the two fighters must speak truthfully to each other whilst the spirit fight rages on. The loser must either surrender or flee, and seems to have no choice in the matter.  Beyond duelling, astral projection can be used to spy around. Vic has to physically touch a building to see it from the spirit plane, but once he does he can see and hear everything that goes inside, have his invisible spirit form move closer to observe something, etc.

Vic can also operate machinery from the spirit plane. For instance he could fight men physically and at the same time spiritually activate nearby elevators or water sprinklers.

The spirit plane further touches the realm of the dead. Sage uses this to commune with and contact the recently deceased who are prevented from moving on. For a spirit to linger on seems to require exceptional circumstances, though.

Abilities: Victor is a dedicated martial artist, studying akido and kung fu.
He is a skilled gymnast and acrobat having applied himself to these disciplines in high school and college but he is not an Olympian by any measure.
His time in Fagin's orphan gang has given him some skill at picking pockets and locks, although he is by no means an expert. 
His interest (some say obsession) with conspiracy theories,  coupled with his journalism training have made him a skilled investigator and a tenacious sleuth.
He is skilled with computers and has hacked into government websites more than once.

Character Relations: In high school, Vic had a huge crush on Lois Lane, who was edition of the school newspaper when he was just developing an interest in journalism.  She found him creepy and avoided him as much as possible but would likely recognize him if they met.