NASTY virus, not even MBAM or HJT can get rid of

Started by Doomsday, May 03, 2009, 04:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doomsday

Well, just now my computer told me that the administrator has disabled task manager, so now I know something's dreadfully wrong.

Seems like every 20 seconds a new instance of firefox opens up with some adware warning me about viruses, urging me to download their shit (onlinescannerxp.com is the malicious site in question, if anyone recognizes it). It changes my background to a flashing gif warning me about viruses, will constantly open up my documents for no reason, and there is a big red circle with a white x in the bottom right taskbar, that's never been there before.

As I said in the thread title, not MalwareBytes nor TrendMicro's HiJack This! can get rid of the virus. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Xillen

I'm just sticking to Avira AntiVir nowadays. It's free and seems to catch everything.

Not sure if it'll work if you try installing it after the virus is already running around on your HD, though.

Doomsday

Yeah, this virus even stiff-armed SmitFraudFix, which is usually my last resort. I'm gonna try to run Smit in safe mode.

HairyHeretic

Did a quick google, and got the following manual removal instructions

http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-onlinescannerxp-com

Sounds like something called xp antivirus is your actual problem.

Now, I don't know valid that is, so here's a few other sites you can compare the instructions on

http://www.pcthreat.com/parasitebyid-6920en.html

http://www.damntrojan.com/onlinescannerxp-com-removal
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Doomsday

Yeah, the 411 thing links me to a MBAM download, so that's useless. Fuck it, I'm gonna wipe my harddrive, start fresh.

HairyHeretic

I do recall seeing manual removal instructions there too.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vekseid

Doomsday

The thing is that I rebooted Windows, and all of my stuff is on another account, but it doesn't exist anymore for whatever reason... but all the stuff still does, and it's still taking harddrive space. Apparently my access is denied to get into those "my documents". So I'm too far gone for a simple virus sweep, it's easier to cut this knot than to try to untangle it.

Vekseid

Quote from: HPDDJ on May 04, 2009, 12:04:43 AM
The thing is that I rebooted Windows, and all of my stuff is on another account, but it doesn't exist anymore for whatever reason... but all the stuff still does, and it's still taking harddrive space. Apparently my access is denied to get into those "my documents". So I'm too far gone for a simple virus sweep, it's easier to cut this knot than to try to untangle it.

Just take ownership of the files.

Doomsday