[WOD: Bad Dreams] "Three can keep a Secret if Two of them are dead" (Miranda)

Started by Creeper, November 27, 2005, 06:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Creeper

It was always over by 6 PM.

You'd think a security firm, a place where weathly people entrusted their valuables (Physical and otherwise) would be more stalwart, more aware during the night hours. But like most other professional businesses, the employee's watched the tick-tick-ticking of the clock as it slowly wound down to that magic number 6, quiting time. There was no cat-like readiness, no creeping paranoia for the guards and accountants and managers. Just the quiet, maddening need to be at home watching T.V; their only blanal respite from a job of even more blanality.

Miranda's life was far from Blanal, even with this job. After work there awaited an array of mysteries. Secrets hidden like miner's gold across the urban sprawl, waiting for some enterprising soul to reach out and make their fortune... or die trying. Already the whispers were coming in about the Duchesses Gala, or who was carried off by the Nervosa, or the activities of the hidden willworkers.

They awaited the Fae. Gleaming in the night.
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Idachan

That three could keep a secret if only two where dead was quite the ignorant statement. Thinking that it all came down to the third... Oh no no no no. Being dead was never a garantue, people where and would never seize to be, thankfully for Miranda, dumb. A note here, a number there... Maybe a half burnt photo in the garbage can or a long ago broken toy with a distinct smell...

And keeping a secret all to yourself is hard work, getting ridd of evidence, never getting ridd of too much...

No. The key to keeping a secret with three was to never let two of them know it was a secret in the first place. What you don´t know, you can´t hide. And hidden things stand out very clear to certain people.

Like the greasy and gasoline stained calling card Miranda flipped between her spindly fingers while eyeing it almost hungrily, such an insignificant little thing and yet what made it all make sense.

Oh my mister chairman, what an awfull thing to do... And to your own daughter aswell... How lucky that I know exactly what you´ll pay for it. Too bad your daughter wont thrive on it though.

Leaning back in her most comfortable office chair Miranda slipped the card into a plastic bag, putting it for relative safety in her notepad. Five passed six there was no one left at the office except for night-shift guards so while she did definently want to stretch like a cat and sag together in her most mundane form, the dreaming was too thick for that right now, with the sudden revelation and all. Hence the slight mournfull sigh pushed through softly parted lips on a toothless smile as Miranda retained her excellent stature, tightly clenched and laced as she was. How her unspeakable undergarments managed to take inches of her waist was a mystery, there had never seemed like there was inches to take from.

A sting of guilt forced her to look at the watch, there was after all a certain young lady sitting at home waiting for her dear aunt but Alessandra had payed the baby-sitter to be there untill midnight in case there was any last minute plans. Only problem was that there where no such plans so far.

Sliding up from her chair Miranda went for the cabinet in her moderatly sized office, when it came to decorating it her boss had full understanding of why she needed expensive furniture that screamed quietly about proffessionalism and trust- at second thought Miranda remembered that she had a special vacation in the Bahamas to thank for that, while passing the mirror at the same time. Throwing a look in it Miranda nearly smirked.

Gloomy... How appropriate.

That Miranda Bockton could be called attractive, beautiful and surely a dozen of other complimentary adjectives was a given but being beautiful was so very dull. Character, magnetism and savoir faire satisfied her more. And to be honest, Miranda tried her very best to be seen in her invisibility or rather to be seen when she wanted to while making people believe that she thought herself unnoticed. Miranda eyed her reflection with liking, her small nuggets of glittering darkness for eyes had a quite catching shadow, her lashes nearing artwork in how they caged her eyes. And she could definently not complain about the paleness of her skin or the slight blue tone to her veins, that simply made her red cheeks and high cheekbones stand out more. Of course, no redness to the cheeks could ever distract from her delicatly plump lips or their almost smothered plum colour. And even a sluagh could have a bosom, especially when wearing unspeakable undergarments beneath a dinner dress. Adding a lace shawl to supposedly cover that mentioned bosom brought a perfect framework while the silk of the dress had just the right amount of shine to let luster play along the edges of her curved body.

Such an appearance certainly deserved a treat. Yes, a tastefull, delicious little morsel to celebrate the discovery of yet another secret. Miranda opened a drawer in the cabinet where she stored her little treats, picking up a tin foil covered plate. Folding only a corner open she inhaled deeply and lustfully, the scent of a bundt gone stale and bad intoxicated her for a moment. She had recieved it two weeks prior as she had attended a former classmate´s funeral, the bundt was even lovelier because of that, baked with love for someone so vicious and mean in life.

Miranda would certainly enjoy that treat.

Creeper

Before Miranda could enjoy anything, the telephone rang shrilly on her desk. The caller I.D displayed her own address, lights flickering urgently.

Idachan

Miranda stared with ill-concealed distaste on the phone, knowing that if she pretended to have allready left her cell would ring only moments later. Impatiently the thinlimbered woman ruffled through a desk drawer, comming up with a pack of smokes and a lighter, the ashtray allready on her desk. It was certainly one of the perks of her job, her position allowed her to smoke inside when the rest of the world was expelled to the rainy outside.

A gentle beep announced that the speakers on her phone was on and Allessandra languidly lit her own little cancer stick.

"Yes? This is Allessandra speaking."

Creeper

"A-Auntie 'xandria? I, um, I was wondering when you're coming home? I thought I heard something outside an' I was reading this book about a Grendel an' I got thinking about it and I was really, really wondering when you're coming home?" Melissa's chattering, anxious voice came over the end of the phone. That girl would never admit she was afraid, not to anybody. Not since her parent's death, of course.

Idachan

Melting at her niece´s sweet voice Alessandra took a deep breath of smoke and watched the ringlets of dark grey smoke rise over her desk.

"I´m just finishing up here, I´ll call a cab right away. You know no grendel would ever try to take me, special agreement you see. I´ll be home in half an hour I think."

For now Alessandra knew that Melissa would rather have her believe that it was concern for her and not childish fright over all too real monsters. Though Melissa was her own cousin the two of them had always been more aunt and niece which had stayed so. And an aunt´s duty was to protect her niece which Alessandra thought that she was doing quite a good job with.

"Why don´t you and Jenna have a cup of hot coco while you wait? I might be bringing something to have to it."

Creeper

"O-Oh, okay." Said Melissa, seeming to accept her aunt's 'special agreement' excuse. The girl paused over the phone, considering something.

"Jenna's not here." She paused again, fearful that Alessandra would be angry with her. "I waited for her after school for a long, long time, but she didn't show up! So, I thought I could walk home since I was a big girl. She wasn't at the house either! I'm sorry Auntie!"

Idachan

Alessandra felt her thin body go rigid for a moment, Jenna was a trustworthy college student, not some flaky teen that would drop out of baby-sitting like that. But she carefully killed her ciggarette before answering.

"And you got home without trouble? That´s very good Melissa, I´m proud even though I don´t want you to do that in the future. I´m sure Jenna just misunderstood the day or something, I´ll call her. I´m getting a cab right now then and we can make something for dinner together, is that allright? And you can watch Cartoon Network untill I get home if you like."

It would probably be nothing and yet Alessandra hated to have Melissa alone at home, there where definently too many in the family that slept with the fishes so to speak.

Creeper

"Yeah, I got home okay," Said the young girl, voice still shaking slightly. "Some boys threw pine cones at me, but I just ran away. Oh, and I was splashed by a car goin' threw a puddle! They didn't even see me! But I got home in time to watch spongebob squarepants! I like spongebob Auntie 'xandra. Do you like Spongebob?"

Idachan

"...uh... Yes of course I do. I would like to get home right now and watch it with you. I´m actually all done now and I know the cab can be here in just a minute. Want me to hang up so I can come home?"

Personally Alessandra couldn´t care less about this spongebob cartoon but Melissa seemed to enjoy it. And it seemed like Melissa wanted to talk a bit after having been alone for a while, Alessandra could certainly understand that. And letting Melissa decide when to hang up seemed logical, the girl could use some practise in decisions.

Creeper

"'Kay. I'll see you later Auntie Alessandra. I love you." Said the girl as their conversation ended, a final click signaling a dead line.

Outside the flare of high beams and two sharp honks signaled that the Fae's cab had arrived.

Idachan

Alessandra sighed deeply as the phone went dead in her hand and she slowly put it back on the desk.
"Yes.. I love you too."
Shaking her head the calm business woman got up from her desk, only cleaning the worst away before she took her coat and purse, puting out the lights and locking up. The cab was waiting after all.

Creeper

The cab cruised through the winding city streets expertly, the middle-eastern driver trading speed in exchange for the friendly banter normally used on cab rides like this. It seemed unlikely that the man would know how to speak to her anyways. Though things were remarkably silent in the mortal world, Alessandra was blessed with greater senses that could plainly tell that all was not quiet. In the dreaming, the city's normally cramped streets were condensed even further. Buildings with eyes and teeth bent and loomed over the cab and it's occupant, salvating for the Slaugh's essence. Shrieks and crys of the creatures of the dreaming echoed off the walls. They were not crying from blanality's cold grip but by the twisted hunger and perversion that their brothers possessed. Ever since the Duchess came to power, the dreaming seemed to have been regaining strength, but with the nightmare that it had become, some Kithain were wondering if it was worth it.

Idachan

What was the value of keeping secrets if no one cared? Staying alive, surviving, was slowly climbing the list of priorities in everyone in the city, Miranda wondered quite often if she had picked the wrong passion for herself but the rush of power when puzzling together the big picture had always swayed her.

Letting her dreary eyes wander the quite frightening outside without much revell Miranda found herself worrying quite a lot more than she had thought, whatever had become of the mysteriously disappearing babysitter? And if something had happened to Jenna... Did that mean that Melissa was in danger too?

Miranda nerveously shifted in the back seat, her thin fingers picking on the hem of her coat without her even realising it.

Creeper

Dispite the ominous noises of the dreaming, Miranda makes it home safe. The cabbie dropped the woman off outside her house, and sped away swiftly after recieving payment. From the outside, all seems fine. Most of the lights inside the house are on, and the fae can see the tell-tale flashing of an active T.V in the living room.

Idachan

Alessandra got out of the car quite quickly, paying and waiting as the doorman held up the door for her.
"Thank you Carl."
"Always a pleasure ma'am."
The flat was amongst the better ones in the building and the building itself was very good, perhaps the doorman wasn´t much security, not really, but Alessandra had done a complete security scan for the owner, installing prime goods to keep the people willing to pay the large fees safe.

The elevators had cameras installed and no doubt those who looked at the tapes would only see the attractive, elegant looking Alessandra as she waited for her floor to arrive. Her anxiety was hidden behind a rather cold mask and only her slightly quickened pace as she walked up to her door revealed how she really felt. She could hear the T.V out to the corridor when standing just outside, bringing a smile to herself. Locking up the door Alessandra softened her features and lowered her voice.

"Melissa? I´m home now."

Creeper

The apartment was silent, excluding the chatter of the television. Spongebob chattered away blissfully on the screen, unaware of Alessandia's arrival. The dreaming in this place seemed murky, as if her entire house was filled with a light brown ether.

The fae's announcement was not returned by her charge.

OOC: Please roll Perception+Awareness

Idachan

((Silly me, I seem to have neglected awareness. Here goes my three dice of perception though. 3, 4 and 8. ))

Wrinkling her forehead in deeply rooted paranoia Alessandra puffed up the door enough for her too have a look inside.

Creeper

The living room was devoid of life, other then an advertisement for Fluffy Stay-Puff marshmallows. A talking marshmallow peddle his wares to the empty room, his only audience were the toys, couch cusions, and books that were strewn across the floor. A barbie doll, missing it's arms, stared up at Alessandra, lifeless.

Though her senses for the supernatural were almost non-existant, she could tell that there was something wrong...

Idachan

Digging her nails into the palm of her left hand to stay calm Alessandra slowly palmed her lighter in her right hand, pushing the door open further. She could have always called up Carl but chances where that the middleaged mundane man would be more of a burden than a help. All alone she stepped into the empty-appearing apartment, looking around more concentrated and keeping the closed doors under special attention.

Creeper

The apartment was dead silent, with only the thick smell of rusty iron in the air, hanging over the Fae like a blanket. There was no sign of her errant cousin, only a single desturbing sight. There was a pool of blood resting outside the door to Melissa's room...

Idachan

Alessandra was far from an athletic brawler but as her eyes wandered to the pool of my blood, every fibre in her body screamed to her to run in there. Her mind told her to be calm, told her that it looked suspiciously trap like. And yet somehow her slowly awakening motherly instincts won, releasing her from an almost freezed state.

Her sharp heels clicked against the hardwood floors, her hand grasping the doorknob and turning it before she could even stop to think. Her mortal seeming looked distressed but her fae mien was starting to get furious, her spindly fingers ready to claw out the eyes of anyone trying to hurt Melissa.

Creeper

Click-click. The door was sticky, and it took a hard tug to get it open. The sight ahead, however, made it seem like the door was trying to hide the contents of the room from impressionable viewers.

Melissa's room was like a scene out of a horror movie. Blood and large claw marks coated the pink walls and the uneven bed. Books and toys were scattered around the room, giving the impression that a blood-stained hurricane had rushed through the the room. The doorknob to Melissa's room had been torn from the wood and thrown violently into the plaster by the window. There was a distinct blood trail leading from the bed to the open window, which was shattered somewhere in the struggle.

OOC: Inteligence+Investigation if you want to search the room more closely.

Idachan

((Int 4 + Investigation 2 yielded 2, 4, 8, 8, 9, 10 ))

Almost screaming at the sight Miranda covered her lips, backing up against the door frame as her eyes flew over the ruined room. Her knees felt rather shaky, her hand trembling slightly before she got a hold of herself. Someone had taken the most important person in Miranda´s life and hurt her. Somewhere out there was a scared and wounded little child...

And Miranda would get her back.

Feeling an icy anger creep over her Miranda suddenly calmed down, noting things in her head and starting to go over the room with proffesional efficiency. Taking a few quick snapshots with her camera for refference and then working through the disaster.

Creeper

There was clearly a violent struggle in here, but it did not leave the confines of the room. There is far too much blood in the room and in the dreaming for this to have come from a child. From the claw marks, destruction, and damage to the window, the Fae can tell that whatever tore inside was obviously larger then most men.

There is a pale, tatooed arm, sticking out from under the bed. It is slightly obscured by the covers of Melissa's messy bed.