What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

That's all well put, Sabby. I think you prescribe her a little too much credit in finding the halo. That was kind of an accident. You also didn't detail any of her reliance on Master Chief (Navy rank but he pals around with the army. What a freaking world.)

For all her usefulness she needs the Chief to even make her useful. Without him she's just a computer program stuck outside a computer most of the time.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on September 19, 2011, 03:43:22 PM
That's all well put, Sabby. I think you prescribe her a little too much credit in finding the halo.

I did.

Quote from: Sabby on September 19, 2011, 03:34:39 PM
Whats that Cortana? Open a Slipspace to these co-ordinates? You don't know where they go? Yes ma'am, right away!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
That hyper important data Cortana had that Noble 6 died getting it away from Reach? Translations and studies of Forerunner ruins on Reach, and within that massive amount of data was co-ordinates to Halo. There is no way anyone could pick that out in such a short time, all they knew was the Covenant wanted it and were willing to invade the most heavily fortified planet in UNSC controlled space as opposed to glassing it. Thats fucking serious stuff, they never hit the ground, if they do, theres something they want, and if they want it, UNSC has to get it or destroy it. Her intuition is all that picked out the Slipspace co-ordinates from the staggering jumble of data.

ReanimateMagnus

Sabby

I don't remember who brought up the Chief and Cortana love thing, but I checked the Wiki for ya.

Quote from: Halo NationHer personal loyalty is regarded as unwavering, but as an A.I. construct she is subject to corruption. Lord Hood questioned her reliability when it became clear that she had been compromised in some way by the Gravemind's possession of High Charity, on which she was trapped. John-117, however, never questioned her integrity. Cortana did consent to answer some of the Flood's questions, as a strategy for survival and the possibility of gaining information for the UNSC. Her sanity was pushed to the brink as she eluded the Gravemind's attempts to capture and dissect her for information. Her personal loyalty to and unwavering trust in John-117 helped anchor her and allow her to hold on despite being driven to the point of rampancy. Before she reunited with John-117 in Halo 3, she sent him a message, telling him about the Ark and warning him of the Flood-infested High Charity's approach to Earth. She was instrumental in finally putting a stop to the Flood at the end of the game.

She frequently jokes about having a relationship with the Master Chief and it is often implied that the two characters have developed some form of attachment. In Halo: The Fall of Reach, she says to Dr. Halsey that the Master Chief is "attractive in a primitive animal sort of way" while examining a photo of him. In Halo 3 his mere presence and reminder of his promise to her are enough for her to pull herself together to help him.

Interesting... if I read onward, I start hearing about this 'metastability' thing. I haven't been very current with Halo. Red most of the books and comics, was in the Halo 3 ARG, but if it came after that, I've probably missed it. Not sure exactly where Metastability pops up, but it looks to be what happens after Rampancy, which is the point where a Smart A.I. starts to fall apart under its own complexity. Most A.I.'s just die during Rampancy, but it seems to imply some can survive, and change to a different state. No idea what that state is, but in Halo: Origins it says Cortana may be willingly going through her Rampancy stage so she can reach Metastability. If any Smart A.I. can do it, she can, and the idea just reminds me of an addict locking themselves up in a barred room. Face the insanity and the sickness, beat it, come out changed.

Inkidu

You know? There seems to be an awful lot of polarization in gaming these days. I remember casually remarking one time that Blizzard's ten-year-plus development cycles were probably not beneficial to them making good games. Obviously, they're not adverse to shorter time frames.

Diablo 1998 (what a fine year for gaming that was), Diablo 2 2000, LoD 2001, Diablo 3 20XX.

Anyway, not really the point. Since I didn't like ten-year infinity cycles I obviously had to be for PoP Cap games and shovelware. Of course, I mean no one has ever been able to release a quality game in two to five years right?

Grumble... grumble...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

abandoneddolly

Hemingway

Gears of War 3. I didn't even know it came out today, until my brother suggested we get it and co-op it. It's ... it's Gears of War, what can I say? I like Gears of War.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 20, 2011, 12:51:02 PM
Gears of War 3. I didn't even know it came out today, until my brother suggested we get it and co-op it. It's ... it's Gears of War, what can I say? I like Gears of War.
Yeah, I know. Nothing wrong with that. It's a good set of games.

Sabby

People feel obligated to hate them, same with Halo and Crysis. Fucking Hipsters.

Hemingway

Gears of War has always impressed me with its interesting weapons. In the first one, there was the Torque Bow. In the second they added things like a mortar. In Gears of War 3, they've added ... well, a whole lot of new weapons. A Retro Lancer that has a bayonet instead of a chainsaw. Which lets you do a bayonet charge and skewer your enemies in the air. There's also, get this, a Cleaver. It's a giant sword that ... well, it seems fairly useless, at least on Hardcore difficulty ( enemies keep hitting me before I can even land a hit ), but the weapon is so awesome. If you run with it, you drag it along the ground. It has limited uses, so it's basically like the melee weapons from Halo. As badass, too. And powerful.

Edit: Ugh. There's a scene that is basically impossible to do properly without a co-op partner. I'm playing it alone now, and ... basically, you have to snipe two guys before they sound the alarm. With two players, it would've been a breeze. With just me ... well, I barely have time to reload after taking out one of them before the other one is gone, so ... yeah. I guess solo players just have to do it the hard way.

Edit2: To make up for it, there's something very primal and satisfying about bayonet charging a Theron with a cleaver who is charging you.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 20, 2011, 02:30:29 PM
People feel obligated to hate them, same with Halo and Crysis. Fucking Hipsters.
I just don't get that. They're good games. Probably not the paragons of the medium, but they all can't be platinum coated cherries. I kind of like the mushroom routine and lack of plot in Gears. It breaks some conventions. It actually helps you identify with the grunts on the ground.

Hemingway

Gears of War actually has a pretty good plot. The storytelling might not be anything to write home about, but GoW 3 actually has a lot of moments, and ... well, things have changed since GoW 2.

Sabby

Yup, Gears has always has the pieces of a good plot, just assembled by a one eyed amputee with cerebral palsy.

Sabby

Hmm... Gunstringer? Whats this? Huh... you use your hands to move a puppet? Am I seeing an actual attempt to make a Kinect game, instead of shoving an Xbox game into a Kinect compatible state? No way! I have to see this!

Oh, it's an on rails shooting... like everything now x.x

Inkidu

I think the AI might actually be dumber in Gears 3 than in its previous installments. I always play them on Hardcore for the first playthrough because of a delightful little misunderstanding I had with the first game. "You know how to pull off a head shot."

Me: "I sure do!"

So it's stuck, but it seems like I spend a lot of time on the ground while Dom or whathisface dances around my flailing corpse. The lambent don't miss an opportunity to make my head and the deck one though.

Erm...

Hemingway

Given my reckless nature ( if I can do a bayonet charge, I do, even if it puts me in the middle of the enemy ), I've spent a lot of time on the ground, too, and I've noticed the same thing. I can't really compare it to older games, as I ... seem to recall dying a lot less in earlier installments. The Lambent don't mess around.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 21, 2011, 05:34:32 PM
Given my reckless nature ( if I can do a bayonet charge, I do, even if it puts me in the middle of the enemy ), I've spent a lot of time on the ground, too, and I've noticed the same thing. I can't really compare it to older games, as I ... seem to recall dying a lot less in earlier installments. The Lambent don't mess around.
It doesn't help that they all explode over every little thing.

Lambent Grunt: "What? No coffee!" *BOOM!*

I think I take damage just for doing a regular chainsaw takedown... what's the point!

Iceburn

Waiting for Diablo 3..so atm..playing Kings Bounty ;)

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 21, 2011, 05:56:47 PM
It doesn't help that they all explode over every little thing.

Lambent Grunt: "What? No coffee!" *BOOM!*

I think I take damage just for doing a regular chainsaw takedown... what's the point!

Well, there isn't any, really. But don't worry, you get other enemies later, and they don't explode!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 21, 2011, 06:01:07 PM
Well, there isn't any, really. But don't worry, you get other enemies later, and they don't explode!
I quit right now so I could read D&D PDFs. Plus that part with the silver-backs pissed me off.

I'm blowing the crap out of the baddie with everything, it chomps down in one little cutscene and I fail.

"But I thought I are to be winning!?" @n@

Hemingway

What, on the ship? If you press A ( or whatever it is on whatever you're playing it on ), you deploy cover and can use missiles. They do a lot more damage.

You have to aim for the eyes, though! The eyes!

Geeklet

...reading that right after looking through some of my old games in search of something to play now makes me want to load up Baldur's Gate. Go for the eyes, Boo! The Eyes!

Wyrd

Watching my wife play Diablo 2. Man that game has aged like bananas. D3 looks like a waste of time. I'm hoping Kingdoms of Alamar does good
Ragtime Dandies!

Brandon

If you want a diablo style game Path of Exile is worth a look especially since it will be a free to play (you can sign up for the beta too I think). Alternativly you could look into Torchlight or torchlight 2 when it comes out. I enjoyed the first torchlight quite a bit
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Playing Manly Men doing manly things 3.

Or Gears of War 3, for you lay-men.

And loving every testosterone filled minute of it.