Viciously cute kittens!

Started by WyldRanger, October 30, 2008, 03:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyldRanger

You might not want to get to close to these kittens!

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/news/index.ssf/2008/10/endangered_blackfooted_cats_bo.html

QuoteThe public got its first glimpse Monday of a pair of endangered Black-footed cats born recently at John Ball Zoo.

The boy and girl kittens -- who resemble ordinary house cats but are smaller -- went on display for the first time with their mother in the zoo's Treasure of the Tropics building.

They were born Sept. 12 and have been shielded from public view for six weeks while they bonded with their mother.

But make no mistake about it -- the breed may look cute and cuddly, but are among the most vicious in the zoo, said Animal Management Supervisor and curator Dan Malone.

"Pound for pound, they are probably more aggressive than any other cat we have," Malone said. "What they lack in size they make up for in attitude."

That's because the endangered animals are natives of Africa, where many other predatory animals are much larger and would no doubt look on a Black-footed cat as easy prey, Malone said.

The zoo received the kitten's parents specifically to breed them because the species is rare, he said.

Zoo spokeswoman Krys Bylund said there are only 38 zoos in the U.S. that house Black-footed cats.

The animals are secretive, nocturnal and live in burrows, which makes them extremely difficult to track in the wild, she said.

For that reason, they are considered endangered and it is thought there are not enough Black-footed cats left to sustain the population, she said.

On Monday, the pair and their mother spent much of the morning peeking out of the nesting box in a little room off the main exhibit that the public can see.

Malone said he expects them to warm to their new environment in no time.

"Like most kittens, they're very sleepy," he said. "They will be very active and playful one minute and the next minute they'll be sound asleep."

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wistful Dream

Andy

... im more cute than that..

*is clearly extremly jealous*
Quote from: Oniya on November 15, 2012, 09:32:19 PM
Remember:  Diplomacy is the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they thank you for the vacation tip.

Andys Creations: http://www.f-list.net/c/nullah%20mighthoof/

Caeli

Those kittens are viciously adorable. :)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

WifeHeather

Aw I love cats, I want one... in a cage preferably.

AmazonPrincess

darkvamplips

He once said "If he ever hurt you I will walk again to hurt him." Well he did hurt me and where is my friend? RIP Coby you are still on mind even after 10 years.

My request thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29818

saturnschild

Oh dear I would hug them so hard that they might pop into fur balls, they are so cutie.
The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.-Moulin Rouge
In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.- Walking Dead
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - Johnny Cash

Ons and Offs saturn

Gunslinger

Kittens!!! OMG OMG OMG Kittens!!!!

Nimmy

I want one!!!

Or one of these. Ocelots are so cute.

Diabolus Lupus

*makes note to possibly go visit the cute kitties*

I'm surprised that I didn't hear about the kitties before, as the zoo they're housed in is like ten, fifteen minutes from my house. ^_^

Tachi

Cute, but I wouldn't want a kitty that'd try and eat me!

Mint

Those are seriously cute. Cute and painful all in one? Count me in. xD I would train them to love only me and attack my enemies. And maybe me when I get bored. xD