Previous topic - Next topic

Tick

Character Sheet Thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=126877.0
OOC
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=127149.0
Bridge
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=127113.0

In the year 2254, humans have managed to travel to a few planets within their solar system, but have been able to travel far distances in a reasonable time frame. The secret of faster than light travel would come a few years after the colony on Mars would claim to be a independent nation. Having long since aligned together into a single state on Earth, the moment the ability to cross the solar system in less than a day became possible, the coalition that dominated earth wasted no time in jumping to Mars and placing the new nation under martial law and forcibly integrating it back into a single nation. From this point on, humanity would refer to itself as the "New United Nations" after the original United Nations that had fallen apart in 2092

It took mankind no time at all to take advantage of their ability to bend space time and began to spread across the stars to relieve their overpopulation on earth. It was fifty years before the rapid expansion of the human race would hit a snag. Upon reaching their fourth solar system and nearly colonizing it fully, arguments began to break out from the new colonies who began to complain that their governments tried to dictate their lives from distances that would take over a week to travel, even with modern spatial bending engines. A new revolution broke out citing the origin of the United States of America and their reasons, as justification for their succession. The first solar system to declare independence was just the beginning of the United Nation's problems, two more quickly joined in on the idea, leaving the Sol system to fight on three fronts as several other systems decided to watch from a distance.

This war would continue for nearly twenty years in a stalemate as both sides would move in, and the other would push them back almost instantly, attacking quickly and on sight due to the fact that the engines of all the ships still had a few minutes, to an hour delay in arrival time. It was due to this unfortunate system of counter attacking that the first encounter with an nonhuman species would be the quick and immediate destruction three of their colony ships. While this was the rebel nation's fault, the aliens took this as an act of war by the entire human race and lashed out in force.

The humans were quick to learn two things. First, their technology was far superior to the aliens. Their ships were faster and strong from years of war, but this would quickly change due to the second fact. That being, the aliens were not one, but several different species who had bound together into a single state to live in harmony, and attacking one had brought them to war with humans in total thinking mankind to be warmongering savages. While this had some truth, the humans tried to resolve the conflict and work out a cease fire, but the language barrier proved to be difficult when they were adamant on the humans' extinction.

The war started out one-sided but slowly turned to an even battle. The outsiders' ships were many in number and used energy shields, something the humans had not worked out, using similar technology to the time space engines used for faster than life travel. Even with superior weapons, skirmishes became more costly for the humans. Every time they took a enemy planet, they did their best to work out the various languages used and relieve some of the hatred, to no avail. The war slowly died down as both sides became less and less willing to risk their fleet in the unending war. Humanity had been forced to pull themselves back into a single nation in 2366, despite a large amount of prejudice between both sides.

It would be a near century of fighting till 2443 when the language barrier would finally be broken and a cease fire would be gained. Hatred would be deep seated in both sides and they would avoid each other adamantly for many years. Both sides returned to expanding and ignored the other with vigor. The only reason the cease fire worked was due to the fact that nearly everyone had lost someone in the war due to the sheer time and causalities of the near endless fighting. It would be thirty years before the aliens and humans would eventually have two groups sit down and discuss a solar system they both wanted. The end result was a disadvantageous one for the humans, basically being told that they were responsible for the war, but it would be the first time the two group had spoken in years.

Eventually the two nations would begin colonizing the same systems and trading, though this was done by independent corporations. Eventually leading to a few groups that wanted to travel into deep alien space. The aliens, now known to be called the Vrec'Sevi in the best human translation to English, were understandably reluctant, but as the humans began to allow their citizens inside human colonies, they did the same. The core planets were still kept off limits for two dozen years before each group began to relax its borders further. Eventually, a new discussion would take place about their relationship, both sides wanting to put the war behind them. It would be several years before the humans would agree to join the Vrec'Sevi in 2491. From there, even with a rocky start, the various races of the alliance began to spread and grow together. While prejudice remained and hatred still sat in a few groups that made up the alliance, the coalition of aliens and humans flourished until 2574.

Part of the reason for the short jumps that were used for faster than light travel was a lack of fuel that could sustain the high power requirements of long distances jumps. While they could carry enough, they were not able to convert it from fuel to energy fast enough. A new material was found that never was given more than a test name but gained the nickname mythril for its abnormal properties. The humans had created it but the rest of the alliance immediately assumed it would be shared. Half the humans found this offensive and claimed the Vrec'Sevi was trying to get the humans to carry them. A few other races agreed that there was too much dead weight in the alliance and gave the displeased humans support. It would be less than a year from the discovery of the mythril fuel before a new civil war would take place. This one would be between a group of prejudice and hateful mix of humans, named the Alliance, and a few other races, and the Vrec'Sevi who were trying to sustain a form of unity. It was well known that the humans were the strongest race of the alliance, but even so, over a third stayed in the alliance and the alliance as a whole was able to take mankind on equal ground. Part of the problem was that the humans spread much faster and on their own, leaving their population much higher.

It is now 2580, the middle of Mythril War, and the Vrec'Sevi 's ace in the whole is in jeopardy. The refined and perfected form of Mythril was finished, and the lab was attacked shortly after, forcing the defense and transports to flee. Among them, the newly refitted Dreadnaught, Liege. Despite their best attempts, the ships were forced to pull back and in a last ditch attempt to get away, the Liege, with the last remaining scientists of project Adamantium, tried to perform a jump within dangerous range of the star of the system. In the jump, the Liege experienced abnormal power spikes and was thrown across the universe to a location not even mapped, damaged and broken.

Liege:

The Liege is a dreadnaught class ship that is designed to be large, heavy and self sufficient. It carries several squadrons of twelve fighters, max load of six squads. The main gun is a fine particle beam meant to punch holes in the thickest of shields and armor. Secondary guns are a series of mass accelerators that have enough power to do severe damage after a few salvos. The ship also includes missile tubes.

The inside of the ship includes a few factories for new fighter planes and mechs, an artificial farm and water recycling unit. Many systems were damaged in the fight, and more in the escape. Only half of the guns are working and despite the main gun being functional, using it would take all the power on the ship after the power grid was ruined.

Crew:

The Liege is a mix of various races that all have their own outlook on the war, and on each other. Humans are notorious for being the most disliked but are in many ways also respected as being one of the strongest. Humans as well have a sort of love hate relationship with the other species. Some humans love the aliens and see them as equals; some hate them due to long grudges in the past. The latter a bit rare since most people with this outlook went to the Rebel side during the war.

The crew is made up of those who are mostly considered rejects of the main army, so those who are sympathetic of the Alliance are possibly on board, along with people who have no qualms with the other races. A race could even hate someone other than humans for personal reasons.

If you want to play the Commander, or first mate, or a high ranked position(Marine Captain or anything of the like) please send me a message so we don't have multiple people doing it. If no one has taken it, I will give yout he go ahead, otherwise we might have three people writing long bios for something someone else is going to take.

Character Profile:
Name:
Species(if this is a custom species, please include a  brief description):
Age(keep in mind, with new medical advanements like nanotech and the like, human life spans would have increased to around two hundred years as the average lifespan):
Rank(pilot, commander, First mate, doctor, scientist, marine are all options, and if you have any ideas feel free to throw them at me):
Appearance:
Training:
History:
Extra info(opptional):

I am going to keep this a bit brief to not drown people in text just yet. But I am curious to who would be interested in a space epic style scifi plot. I normally go for a mixture of hard, soft and military scifi. But this time I am looking for a little bit closer to soft and military.

I am going to give a very vague and quick rundown of what I am looking for and if anyone else is interested, that would be wonderful.

Brief:

The idea is this a refitted dreadnaught class ship is forced to jump into combat immediately in an emergency, the crew is a bit of a mix of green, questionable and solid officers who were either assigned or requested on the ship. Due to the ship being somewhat old and raggedy, they put most of their unwanted soldiers on the ship.

Despite this, in the conflict they are the last ship still able to "jump" and try to break free. While doing so, they got dangerously close to the nearby star which threw off their FTL jump. As a result, it sends them to the opposite side of the Universe in a half operating ship. Due to the scenario, they must pull themselves together and keep the ship together, find out where they are, and get home.

They would have to make stops at various planets to search for minerals, fight off unknown beings of the area who perceive them as a threat, try to unravel the possible clues of a dead race. And try to stay sane with the crew they just met a few days ago.

Technology:
The tech style is going to use time space bending, or wormholes physics as their form of faster than light travel. Due to the power requirements, they can only do short bursts as the build up the power needed for a jump. I am not looking for perfect science on this since well, most people don't like hard scifi.

Weapons will vary, cartridge are like bullets but used primarily for cryo, napalm and high explosive rounds. Mass accelerators propel gas at extreme velocities acting as bullets. This replaces modern machine guns and rifles. Laser's are possible but mainly are used to split ships in half due to their high power requirements but ability to cut through metal efficiently. Laser's are not something used frequently in ground conflicts and is very impractical.

Aliens:

I would like to see a few different species in this, from anywhere from humanoid to insect people to androids. I am also willing to let players make their own races and culture for those races

Scifi Fantasy:
Psychics, cybernetic enhancements, mutations are all fine, within reason and should have some sort of downfall. Nobody should be able to tank a firing squad and walk away perfectly normal. If you can regenerate rapidly, you should be susceptible to starving since you are using all your nutrients to remake lost cells rapidly. Something like that. I have had really bad experiences with non system games where someone takes advantage of leniency to make a "perfect" character and trying to justify it with a loophole, so I am hoping we can all avoid that this game so no character just blows everyone else out of the water.

System:
No, I only know two systems, Pathfinders and Rifts, and I would have to modify them to fit and it would take much more work on my part that I don't think I can commit once school starts again, so I am hoping everyone can play a game without a system that one person is not glory hogging.

Sexual Content:
To be honest, I am not really looking for a heavy sexual content game right now. But I am not saying to make it flat vanilla, what I was thinking was simply have a second thread for something like "crew quarters" for everyone of that nature to be held. Or individual threads for different people. I haven't really picked out a format for how things will be organized. So for individual people it could end up anywhere from lack of sexual content to Extreme.

If we get enough people interested I will write up a full history and character creation format and everything needed. I just don't want to spend hours writing up all the information and have no one interested. I know this is not a very popular genre.

TheGlyphstone

Something in the vein of ST:Voyager or Stargate: Universe, then? Sure, count me interested.

Frelance

I am interested, I have been looking for something like this so I am glad to see you put something together.
Evolution is an arms race

Tick

Glad to hear it, but let's see if we can get one or two more people at least. I would prefer around six but if we get a decent group, no worries.

Frelance

I might no someone so I will see what they r up to.

TheGlyphstone

Cool. I'll check what they p up to and q up to, Tick can handle what they s up to and t up to. ;D 8-)

Andalon

Hold on.

Freeform game?

Sci-fi setting?

Kinda like Schlock Mercenary tech?

DIBS!

Erm... what I wanted to say, count me in. Don't mind the drooling over this one...

TheGlyphstone

We must have Schlock fiddly-bit widgets on all equipment now.

Andalon

Cold Heritage

I am tentatively interested. Could you describe - in brief, of course - the society our characters come from?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

RabbitJanitor

I'm Lance's friend. I'm in.

And if it's not to early.... Dibs on pilot.

Tick

Alright, I updated the first post with a new, more detailed plot. Finished it about at four so it might have an inconsistency or two or some typos, but please overlook them for now. I am exhausted, night all.

TheGlyphstone

Tick

Oh damnit, that was actually what I wanted. Alrighty then.

So Glyphstone has Chief Engineer.

Frelance

The fighters that the ship will carry. Is it just fighter craft or will there be support craft like the raptors from Battlestar Galactica mixed in as well?

Tick

Oh yes of course, sorry I wrote that really late. @_@

TheGlyphstone

If you're running it as well as playing, shouldn't you be the Captain?

Tick

I was trying to keep it open for other people to get involved. I could be the Captain, if you like though.

Andalon

I wouldn't mind another player being the Captain of he ship.

Personally, I would go for a Marine (maybe CO), or a scientist. I haven't decided on this yet, I will see what ideas I can come up with before making a final decision.

Tick

Andalon

Quick question, as I'm likely to go on the marine path:

Should we make up our gear and equipment, like weapons, body armour and such, or are you going to give us the details on that?

Tick

I gave you the basic info on how weaponry works. Grenades and mass accelerators are the normal, lasers are not. Any special weapons please run by me so we don't have super op characters with like.. a gauntlet that destroys atomic bonds.

Just include special weapons, for instance a wrist band that shoots minimissiles(within reason) is fine. Psionic implants or enhancements are needed as well. Since weapons can be switched out anytime you are on the ship, it isn't necessary to list all your gear. Just special training, weapons, and enhancements.

Try not to overload on special stuff to the point it just makes everyone else redundant. If we have to put a hardcap on specialized gear, I will.

ShadowFox89

Are you taking anymore? If so, I'll be happy to go Chief Science Officer.

Are anti-matter grenades epaulets allowed? ;)
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Andalon

I was actually more thinking of making some detailled info for gear, like this one:

HamTech Mk. IV Assault Rifle
The Mk. IV is the standart assault rifle provided to the Marines. It features a red-dot sight, as well as a retractable bayonet. With an impressive ammunition capacity of 60 rounds per clip, it provides some decent firepower and sustained fire at commonly trained firing patters. Using it on full auto although will deplete the clip within a few seconds, so short bursts are advised.

As it is used by the Marines, it can use several kinds of ammo. The most common one is hard slugs, which are able to penetrate most personal armour, and do some serious damage to soft tissue. The second common ammo is flechette. It has only little penetration compared to hard slugs, but is better suited for on board combat, where you do not want to pierce a bulkhead, risking that it will cause a breach to the vacuum outside. Other special, and rarely used, ammunition include incinerator rounds, which can set a target on fire, explosive rounds that are intended to cause collateral damage, or high explosive discarding sabots, intended to work against heavier armoured targets.

Just an example here, but I think you know what I mean.

SomeGuy

I'd be interested if spots are open, I like how things are shaping up so far with the updated plot.

Ghostraven

If your still looking for players I'd be interested in playing one of the fighter pilots.

Tick

As for standard weapons, remember the Liege is basically filled with reject parts and people, so even if I set a standard, it would not be against the game to have custom ones. So I figure the mess of soldiers have their own personal favorites. Though remember, the primary weapon is mass accelerators, which basically means, impact, normal, plasma, armor piercing, and shock rounds are the various kinds you can use. Antimatter rounds would just kill everyone. impact and shock rounds are for ship combat. Remember that power armor is a standard for marines at this point in time, albiet lighter. Think the mass effect style but a little less skin tight rubber look. I imagine any special forces or transfers from other posts have a variety of armor for their situation.

I don't want to go into antimatter physics cause it doesn't really make sense to use in weapons considering it has a higher potential damage then ten nukes. Normally when you want to take something you want to survive and to leave enough the planet to get something out of it. That is just my personal opinion on antimatter(not including storage issues).

The one thing that is going to be standardized is the Cutlass's, which will be the primary fighter planes. Claymores will be the transport ships/high damage(mostly missiles for their weapon). Cutlass's are going to be similar to the vipers in Battlestar Galactica in that they are highly maneuverable but missiles are going to be their high damage output weapons.

Rapier's will be the less used fighter to fighter planes, mostly using light missiles but having a larger amount to target enemy fighters whereas the Cutlass is a more balanced craft.

My image of pilots was that they would be expected to fly fighter planes and utilize mechs on the ground, mech's are not going to be standardized unless it is requested. Remember that the mech's are not top of the line due to the nature of Liege, but you could have illegally modified it with the help of the engineers.

These can be modified and customized within reason (None of them can hold nukes, but might be allowed to have lasers in specific circumstances.)

Another note I want to make is that cyber warfare is common in this day and age, almost all weapons and armor have a computer interface and many can be hacked unless they have all input from wireless sources cut, but since they use a variety of methods to track and keep everyone cordinated, it is a serious possibility, thus if someone wants to play the tech specialist on the bridge, that is an option.

I am fine with more people joining. There are a lot of posible roles and not everyone has to be involved with each plot, so we could split up if necessary to have different little plots.

If anyone finishes their character sheet just go ahead and post it, I will make mine later tonight for the Captain. If anyone knows a good site for military ranks and could share it, I would appreciate it, I am about to run so if no one is familiar with it, I will find one later.

ShadowFox89

Anti-matter epaulets were a Schlock Mercenary reference....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Tick

O.o Oh I am sorry, I am not familiar with that reference. I misunderstood.

TheGlyphstone

Illegal/custom widgets are definitely encouraged, particularly because I intend to also be a champion black marketeer with a lightyear-long disciplinary record, in addition to being a mechanical wizard. On any ship except this heap of rejects, he'd be no higher than second or third-class technician.

TheGlyphstone

And while I'm thinking of it, a bit of inspirational reading material from one of my favorite sci-fi authors:

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200304/0743435990___3.htm

SomeGuy

I was thinking probably an alien marine, customizing weapons and armor would be big business I imagine.

Latooni Subota

Consider me interested, tentatively speaking. Gylphstone, what sorts of things is your engineer awesome at? Straight up general mechanics? Weapons/Mech modifications? Working on the Mythril stuff itself? Software/Hacking?

I'm thinking about a mechanic-type engineer, or a SCIENCE-type one. Too many ideas!
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

TheGlyphstone

Mechanics all the way, keeping the battered and overworked ship systems functional.

Latooni Subota

Actually. I have a better idea. If nobody minds, I'd like to go Navigator/Ship's Computer specialist.  Every ship needs a cute girl with a datajack to interface with the systems and make sure everything is running smoothly.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 13, 2011, 08:14:44 PM
Mechanics all the way, keeping the battered and overworked ship systems functional.

Or, in the case of the Science Officer, stick on as much random tech as you possibly can!
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 13, 2011, 08:59:12 PM
Or, in the case of the Science Officer, stick on as much random tech as you possibly can!

You keep your twinky gadgets away from my engines, you hear me!?

ShadowFox89

Hey, I'm telling you this zero-point energy module will boost that clunky old thing's output by a thousand percent!

Might fry the capacitors....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SomeGuy

Anything that boosts output by a thousand percent sounds dangerous to me.

ShadowFox89

Well, would drawing power from an infinite number of alternate dimensions be consider dangerous? And potentially cause a star system to be wiped out if it blew up?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SomeGuy

ShadowFox89

But what's the fun without the danger?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SomeGuy

There is something to be said about the benefits of living.

Latooni Subota

Umm, we have a guy named McKay over her on the Bridge? He broke reality and jumped in, and said that you guys are making his universe begin to break down with a ZPM?

SomeGuy

Tell him to stop complaining and help out.

ShadowFox89

What a whiner.....

I'm glad we have some Stargate fans around here though, I was afraid all my sometimes not so subtle references might be missed.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

SomeGuy

Love And Submission

How many more spots do you have open?

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Frelance

I am writing up a brief history for a grey I will be using. Well he will be something similar to a grey. I am not sure what he will be but I was going to have it be something to do with zero-G fabrication and salvage.

Anyways I will pm the outline for the races history before posting here is you want.

Tick

Evidently I made this post and it didn't go through. As of now, we do not have a set limit of players, so we are still happily welcoming new players. Since no one has made a character sheet yet and I only just started mine, I would guess maybe six or seven.

We have people who have taken:
chief engineer
Captain/Commander(still working out ranks)
Tech specialist
few marines and pilots

Need:
Squad leader for the pilots and the marines
Doctor
First Mate
I am missing some but I am rushed at the moment

I am working on my character sheet and hope to see a few soon.

Destiny Ascension

Oooh oooh ooh, still room for a pilot? I keep missing these awesome interest threads, why?  :'(
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Gary Stargazer

If you still want people, this sounds kind of interesting.
I've never done the RP thing in forums before, not in a group like this. However I've been doing RP and playing stuff like D&D since I was 12, so I'm no stranger to the concept.

Anyway please let me know if you would be interested in having me. :3
Official fanboy of Oreo. <3
Allow me to show you how I like to play. <3
I'm not just a member of The Oreo Fan Club, I'm the president.

Tick

This is going to be the ranking system we are going to stick with.
http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/marine_ranks.asp

bah, stayed up to late and didn't get to finish, but here is what I have for my character so far.

Yes, we are still accepting new characters, you might want to read over the past posts though.

I think we have a pilot leader, I will have to figure out what ranks to give, but for now I need to sleep. Will finish this tommorrow.

Character Profile:
Name: Sve'rena Vrene'k
Species: Evr'sva

The Evr'sva are a typically war love racing, having a strong sense of survival of the fittest that carries on to old age, due to their long lifespans further enhanced by the technology of other races. They never personally invented faster then light travel, instead they were picked up by the other races as they fought against the humans. The Evr'sva's love for combat was strange and disturbing, but exactly what was needed to win the war. In exchange for the technology of the Vrec'Sevi asked for the Evr'sva's assistance in the war, which they happily agreed.

The Evr'sva live in a tight clan based culture that prioritizes family over anything else and most wars on their planet were between clans. The end result was a tight knit community that tended to be all over in viewpoints. Many of their clans joined the Alliance, it was very rare that they stood with the Vrec'Sevi despite their past, and those who did were normally stripped of their place in the clan. As such, the markings on their horns to label their clan were destroyed as well. Those who were cast out of a clan are expected to take the Vrene'k as their clan name, or rather, Disgraceful. Even though English translations are primarily used, few know what it actually means.

The Evr'sva are humanoid in form, with slightly dark reddish black skin. Instead of hair, a series of horns stretch out from their head, in designs that almost look intentional and appear to be hair but are actually their ears. Their horns vibrate and capture sound similar to how a human  ear does. Their eyes shift between colors to portray their emotion, making most Evr'sva an open book emotionally, but a few have learned to hide it. The colors to emotions differ between the individual but often times fit what humans would expect. Horns also protrude slightly from their elbows, shoulders and knees, to be natural weapons. The horns are usually decorated with carvings, gems and paintings to mark their clan.

Appearance:
Sve'rena Vrene'k is first noticeable by her face, half of which is clearly synthetic. An older model that is considered to be far out of date at this day and age makes up the left side of her face. The line between flesh and artificial body is jagged and by no means clean, starting on the right side of her forehead, crossing downwards her nose and ending at the left side of the jaw. Her left eye is cybernetic and always green, where as her normal eye has the strange habit of staying on color all the time, near black. Despite it being just a very dark violet, many mistake it for being black. Her hair horns cover her head in such a fashion it would almost look like a woman who had her hair in a bob, if it wasn't for a few stray horns going in odd directions. The horns have been damaged to remove any semblance of clan carvings and replaced with black gems like onyx, the mark of an exile.

Her right arm and left leg are similarly synthetic, silver flesh replacing the normal, but unlike her face, it is more than just the skin, the entire limb is replaced with old fashion artificial limbs. Due to the crude, antique style, she is sometimes forced to use a cane when she is feeling ill. All of the artificial parts of her body are silver in appearance and similar to skin when first touched touch but are cold and abnormal at the same time.

Training:
Special forces on Monarch, advanced tactics and leadership training
History:
Sve'rena Vrene'k was born on her home planet during the
Extra info(opptional):

TheGlyphstone

Those are Marine ranks. It'd apply to the Marines/troops onboard, but wouldn't the actual ship's crew/officers follow Naval ranks?
http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/navy_ranks.asp

(The 'First Mate' would be called the Executive Officer or XO, and be a Commander or Lieutenant Commander below the Captain).

Ghostraven

Wikipedia has good listing s of all the services and the ranks as well as what the correlate to with one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_rank#Military_ranks_and_insignia_of_various_nations

Tick

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 05:44:54 AM
Those are Marine ranks. It'd apply to the Marines/troops onboard, but wouldn't the actual ship's crew/officers follow Naval ranks?
http://www.militaryfactory.com/ranks/navy_ranks.asp

(The 'First Mate' would be called the Executive Officer or XO, and be a Commander or Lieutenant Commander below the Captain).

I was thinking that too, but I was kinda worried people, including me, might get confused by who outranks eachother.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Tick on December 14, 2011, 11:10:39 AM
I was thinking that too, but I was kinda worried people, including me, might get confused by who outranks eachother.

Strictly speaking, it wouldn't matter unless they were in the same chain of command - the ship's Marines would only answer to their commanding officer, though he would answer to the Captain.

Tick

True I suppose, if you wouldn't mind helping me keep the ranks clean I would appreciate it. It is not something I really have experience with.

TheGlyphstone

My experience comes from reading copious amounts of naval science fiction, so not much better than yours. ;D All I know is that brevet promotions are given to avoid confusion onboard ship (if the senior Marine officer is a Captain of Marines, he'd be temporarily promoted to Major as long as he was aboard ship).

SomeGuy

What I have currently.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Character Profile
Name: Keth
Species: Archios
Appearance:
Minus the wings
Training: Weapons operation of all kinds, CQC, boarding & counter-boarding, some skill with blades, Spec Ops training
History: Keth is fairly young for his species, given that they are biologically immortal (not that many make it past a few centuries anyways), and after reaching adulthood at age 35 immediately signed up with the military. He's still somewhat naive about the wider world.
Extra info: Keth is somewhat odd in that he really likes having a good blade... or four, all of which are plasma edged. He carries a couple of the best knives he can get, along with a vicious sword that more resembles a meat-cleaver in addition to the more standard guns.

Archios are a small race of highly resilient beings that while biologically immortal starve to death most often. They can regenerate from almost any wound, and in turn burn through their bodies very quickly if not able to keep a large and consistent supply of food, though they can eat most anything. Their regeneration has another unfortunate side effect of being a bit messy, and as a result doesn't mix well with the full body power armor most commonly used. Most use basic plates held together with tough wires, so if a limb gets blown off they don't loose the armor simply because it's not attached anymore. Weapons tend to be of the heavy variety, as a more physically powerful race they make full use of both their strength, endurance, and complete lack of need to worry about recoil causing damage.

TheGlyphstone

What did he do to get him sent to Siberia?

SomeGuy

Probably dick around when he shouldn't.

Edit; I should probably clarify that- I'm seeing him as somewhat playful.

RabbitJanitor

I think ill take the Ship's Squadron CO position. I was thinking of him piloting a Electronic Warfare support ship behind the Squadron in battle. Two man small craft with a few weapons and a lot of jamers, flares, sensors and an EMP gun.

(The EMP gun would have to charge before discharging.)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: RabbitJanitor on December 14, 2011, 03:35:10 PM
I think ill take the Ship's Squadron CO position. I was thinking of him piloting a Electronic Warfare support ship behind the Squadron in battle. Two man small craft with a few weapons and a lot of jamers, flares, sensors and an EMP gun.

(The EMP gun would have to charge before discharging.)

What squadron? It's just our ship and its onboard fighter wings.

Frelance

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 04:11:13 PM
What squadron? It's just our ship and its onboard fighter wings.

He is probably talking about the on board fighter wings.

Tick

Someone has already taken the pilot leader position, I just forgot to post it. She told me in a message.

Ghostraven

Ok: here is what I have at the moment. I'll have to do some more Tech stuff for her gear and the fighters, etc.
My character would be the Fighter Squadron leader that Tick mentioned.

One question for Tick; Is the game starting before the miss-jump or after?

Character Profile
Name: Kyrrazazovy Nyth’nekelihem
Species: Naz'Úlairi

Appearance: Kyrrazazovy has short bias cut snow white hair with three long red braids and night black skin. She has the crimson clan and unit tattoos covering her lithe form form head to toe. Her eyes are a dark reflective amber color. She is normally dressed in her Naz'Úlairi flight uniform.
Naz'Úlairi have eyes like cats with a vertical pupil also like cats they have excellent night vision and pronounced canines. They also have large pointed ears leading to them originally being called Dökkálfar (Old Norse "Dark Elves") by the Humans that first encountered them.
They have two hearts but they are simpler two chamber hearts one supports oxygenated blood form the lungs the other deoxygenated blood to the lungs.
Their blood is Hemocyanins based and is a deep blue color

Training: She is extensively trained in fighter and mech combat. Her specialty is in fighter combat and she is rated on all the Alliance fighter craft as well as all Naz'Úlairi fighters.

History: Born on the Naz'Úlairi home world of Xthann 63 years ago (2518) she is the second daughter of clan Viss. She has 4 other sisters and two brothers. All are part of the Naz'Úlairi military. She attended military school graduating in the top tier of her class. She then enrolled in mech and aerospace specializations. She was the top rank of her aerospace division.
She participated in the Proxima Uprising in 2567 as part of the Vrec'Sevi security force. She was subsequently deployed as the flight leader of a squadron serving on the Vrec'Sevi taskforce assigned to the Xarasan Expanse to root out the pirate bands that had been operating in the sector; she achieved a double Ace rating (10 confirmed kills). Her prior assignment was as part of the Naz'Úlairi fleet stationed in Bryson's well in 2575 when the mythril wars began in earnest. By this time she was the wing commander of the Wyr'r N'Kess (Banshee) fighter wing. In the ensuing 6 years of warfare she has a confirmed kill total of 63 fighters and 3 capital ships.
Her task-group was assigned to the security and defense of the Adamantium project.

Extra info: (optional):
I borrowed from the Zentradi and Nazadi from Cthulhu Tech for the race. I made them a cross between them being a warrior race that was separated by gender like the Zentradi.

The females are the pilots of both fighters, Mechs and Ships while the males were the engineers and troopers. Because of the division of the society by sex and role they have a distrust of Humans who share many of their physical traits but don’t observe their gender based society view. So they see the Humans as heretics. The females have a penchant for fighter and mech combat using their nano-tech to allow them to interface with their fighters and mech systems the males usually have extensive cybernetic enhancement s increasing strength and durability. In fact when the Naz'Úlairi were first encountered they were assumed to be two separate races because of the extensive cyberization of the males.
Genetically the Naz'Úlairi are incompatible with Humans despite sharing many of the same physical traits as Humans. In fact detailed studies of their genome have led some to believe that the Naz'Úlairi are an engendered species. However there is no known race that has the necessary skill to create an advanced species such as the Naz'Úlairi.
While as advanced as Humans if not more so the Naz'Úlairi still maintain the rich heritage of their forefathers and undergo ritual tattooing that covers their entire bodies. The Tattoos denote family, clan, rank, personal affiliations and military specialization. The Tattoos generally mean nothing to non-Naz'Úlairi but those who know what to look for can gain an insight into the Naz'Úlairi’s personality.

TheGlyphstone

Sounds like a skilled individual...what'd she screw up to get her assigned to Siberia? ;D

SomeGuy

Probably called someone important a dirty heretic.

Also, perhaps I misunderstood but aren't humans supposed to have the best technology?

Ghostraven

My thought is that she didn't do anything wrong except end up in the wrong place.

I'm assuming that the planet/base where the secret Mythril project was taking place had first-rate forces protecting it.
However the attacking force was large enough to push them aside and during the battle the call went out for any reinforcements due to the value of the Mythril research. The Liege was in range and answered the call and was tasked with evacuating the last scientists while the remaining forces attempted to regroup and  protect the liege while loading the scientists and jumping clear.  What I'm currently thinking is that my characters fighter squadron(s) were assigned to protect the Liege and either followed the ship through the jump-gate or had docked just before the miss-jump and ended up with the misfits.  :P

The way I read what Tick wrote the Humans were initially had the most advance technology until they met the other races that made up the 'alien federation' which put them at parity. The Humans big advance was the Mythril which is what sparked the current war.

TheGlyphstone

The only thing I can see with that is that she would then be displacing one of the ship's existing squadron leaders. If it had a full stock of fighters, there wouldn't be any space for hangers-on in the docks, and I'd expect the parasite ship crews/pilots to be as scruffy and disreputable as the ship's regular staff.

There's plenty of ways to explain it away, or just flatly ignore it, but I feel at least that playing up the 'ragtag misfits' angle of our characters is an excellent spin on the idea, and one that could go a long way towards keeping this game alive. Flawed characters are more three-dimensional characters, and I've seen and played in several games on a similar structure (freeform, bring-your-own-species/race character) that crashed and burned because everyone was solely concerned with making the most awesome character they could. We don't have to be as screwed up as the crew of the Francis Mueller, but having some reason to be here is good.

Otherwise, we end up with what I call the Lone Ranger problem, where everyone wants to be the unique snowflake in the group. I actually had this happen in a D&D game once, where I mentioned I would accept any alignment and all five players independently decided they were going to be the one secretly Evil character in the all-good party. In this specific case, we're going to end up flying a ship that's supposed to be a dumping ground for rejects where the entire cast is skilled, noble, and decorated.

SomeGuy

If it makes you feel any better, Keth isn't decorated at all (and is pretty young and inexperienced), not noble, and is skilled but only in his area of expertise.

TheGlyphstone

Well, 'noble' was mean in the 'noble heart' sense, not literal nobility. Crewing this ship because they literally couldn't find anyone better to take the job, whether it be by fleet volume, casualties, or just bad paperwork, is more entertaining.

Actually, that could be an explanation for Ghostraven's character - a routine, everyday paperwork screwup, mistakenly assigning her to the Liege instead of the grand superdreadnaught that she would have earned. Before it could be fixed, hilarity ensued.

SomeGuy

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 14, 2011, 05:49:22 PM
Well, 'noble' was mean in the 'noble heart' sense, not literal nobility.

Yep, I know. Well, not know... but I did assume that.

Ghostraven

Well you're assuming that the Liege had a full fighter complement, if it was the dumping ground it may not have been fully equipped or crewed. Also it sustained combat damage during the evacuation so it could have lost fighters in combat.

QuoteMany systems were damaged in the fight, and more in the escape. Only half of the guns are working and despite the main gun being functional, using it would take all the power on the ship after the power grid was ruined.

And I agree if everyone is the superhero you can have problems, but my character is a Fighter pilot and doesn't have any special abilities beyond her single expertise. Besides if she is one of the 'perfect' characters that makes her a foil for the misfits, and I don't think she's perfect.

TheGlyphstone

Which is the problem when everyone ends up wanting to be the foil, and we end up with the previous situation. I obviously can't force you to have flaws, but even as a 'perfect' character I can see ways to complicate her existence that would fuel story. Notably, with the chaos of the evacuation, I imagine fighters would be going every which way and docking with the closest ship they could...hers was the Liege, but whatever squadron she was supposed to be leading, it's doubtful that more than a handful of 'her' pilots would make it on to the Liege with her. If one of the existing squadron commanders was killed in the escape, there's a command slot for her, but in the process she's inheriting command of a group of near total strangers who are much lower quality than the elites she had at her command before. It'd be a classic story with plenty of variant applications, depending on how she approached the situation.

Andalon

Just a few bits I scribbled up on the character I would play. All things mentioned there are just ideas, and can be modified to game purpose.

"Samuel Rainers, Major, Marine Corps"

Name: Samuel Rainers
Race: Human
Profession: Marine
Rank: Major, 2nd in command of the Marines on board the Liege
Training/Specialities: Small Arms, Infantry Space Combat, zero-G combat, Officer School
Brief background: Samuel Rainers is a career soldier. He joined the Marines at the age of 19, without much more options coming from a poor family, apart from joining a street gang, and eventually get killed in some sort of stupid fight.
After he was going through the basic training, he was assigned to ISC training, and proved to be good. At the age of 26, he was selected for Officer School. He graduated, although barely, and with a good bit of luck.
Going up through the ranks, he served here and there, taking part in several minor battles, as well as a few major ones.
As he was promoted to the rank of Major, he was assigned to the Liege to act as the ship's Marine detachment second-in-command.
Brief personality bits: Being a soldier through and through, Samuel keeps up that attitude even when off duty. He likes to have orders been done as intened, and also stays within chain of command. Most of the time, that is.
When it comes to it, he is willing to bend orders to a certain degree, and unlike many other officers, he listens to what his troops tell him. This has earned him a reputation as a grunt's man, someone who cares more about his men than about orders. This also got him in trouble with some of he more old fashioned brass, but so far, he achieved what he had been ordered to, and because of that, he was able to pull his head out of the knot whe he took some liberties in interpreting his orders.
Another point that makes him quite popular with the troops is that fact that he leads from the front. While other high ranking officers prefer to stay away from the front line for their own safety, Rainers prefers to be right in the middle of the action. He thinks that only then he can make tactical decisions, and adjust battle plans to the circumstances of the field.
He is also not too high up to not have a drink with the common troops every now and then. After all, he once was a simple trooper himself, and he enjoyed those times.

Another note, I will be off from thursday until sunday due to some unexpected work. I might be able to snoop in for a bit in that time, but nit sure about that.

Should there be questions/issues/hints/ideas towards my character concept, shoot me a PM.

Tick

Remember they just came from a really harsh, losing battle. It wouldn't be surprising if the Liege took on all the fighters from the other ships that were still around, along with its own remaining(they would have lost some). So it would work just fine, but most likely there would be a lot of contempt between them. The only real problem I see is explaining how she became the CAG[Commander Air Group] (since Ghostraven was the first one to ask for the role, through a message). But it is possible if the Liege lost their CAG in the fight, though the transition would have to happen after the miss jump. 

Samual looks alright, glad someone chose to be human.

To answer the question earlier, we are starting immediatly after the miss jump.

Humans originally were the strongest race, but when the rest banned together, they sped up their development. They were only truly equilized when the humans joined the alien federation and began trading with other races. That lasted around a hundred years before the Mythril war.

Ghostraven

That makes sense to me. I thinking that she was the CAG on her ship, she would have be appointed to that role sometime after the miss-jump as CAG for the Liege.

I'm assuming that most of the NPC crew for the ship is Human; so having an alien that would think that any of the male pilots are in the wrong job, and is used to serving only with members of her own race would serve to make her a misfit in a different sense than not following orders, pissing off a superior or being a criminal.

RabbitJanitor

Dam, alright, ill play a character that's lead in a mobile EW unit on the ship, if that's alright? A Flight Commander.
I'm thinking a Flight of three escort fighters and two gunships I described before I left. (Male character, could play off Ghost's idea)

(Bowling is surprisingly fun with the right people.)

Cold Heritage

Still a WIP; but I'm gonna go play some SC2 so I'll just leave this here and see how it goes. Prediction: Glyphstone tears it apart for being too perfect.

Character Profile:
Name: John Walker
Species(if this is a custom species, please include a  brief description): Homo Superior - an offshoot of humanity genetically engineered for greater capabilities (discussed in greater detail in extra info section).
Age(keep in mind, with new medical advancements like nanotech and the like, human life spans would have increased to around two hundred years as the average lifespan): 66
Appearance: John Walker is a tall specimen of humanity, measuring 218.5 centimeters in height. He weighs 193.3 kilograms. John is very heavily muscular in build, although his weight is greater than his appearance would suggest due to certain augmentations he has undergone on a volunteer basis to become a superior fighting unit. His skin is very pale and has an artificial, plastic gloss to it under certain types of lighting but may appear normal under natural sunlight and low-light conditions. His heat signature will be less than is expected of a human being, but not completely masked.

Square-jawed and with a strong chin, John is not widely considered a handsome man. His hair is a dark, curly black that he keeps cut fairly short, yet long enough for the curls to express themselves. He is clean-shaven, even in the field. John's eyes are a non-human silver, a byproduct of the alterations that produced him. The man possesses large hands and feet. He has no tattoos or other overt distinguishing marks upon his skin. There is a bar code visible to x-rays upon his left fourth rib.

Mark IV Roundhammer Powered Armour
John's Model 7 CQB Environmental Mask (featuring aftermarket paint application)

John typically carries a Mark III Multi-Purpose Infantryman's Rifle. It is a versatile weapon incorporating many of the finest developments in weapons technology, but the chief virtue of the MP rifle is that is a man-portable nanofabricator. The 'ammunition' is a block of super-dense material that is employed by the rifle to fabricate a variety different ammunition 'types': it can fabricate standard slugs in a variety of shapes and sizes according to tactical requirements, it can create explosive rounds that perform like grenades, it can fabricate rockets, and it can even break down its ammunition block for energy to function as a flamethrower and laser. The more sophisticated type of 'round' employed, the more of the ammunition block is consumed, so soldiers are cautioned against excessive use of rocket, flame thrower, and laser settings, and trained instead to allow dedicated weapons systems to perform those tasks. Additionally, John often affixes a Mark I Infantry Bayonnet, a monomolecular edged blade with a curved edge. The MP rifle does not possess a true AI, but its operating system is incredibly robust. When John wears his Roundhammer armour, the MP rifle accepts tactical data from the armour via encrypted nanite exchange.

Training: John possesses infantry training. He is a ground-pounder. He is proficient with virtually all human small arms, the majority of their man-operated heavy weapons, and troop-deployed explosive ordnance. His training in close quarters battle, urban warfare, hand-to-hand combat, and counter-xenobiological combat are extensive and his proficiency is rated double-red, the second-highest certification level NTMSC awards. He possesses extensive experience deploying from orbit via drop pod, HALO jumps, and deploying from VTOL fliers and similar in-atmosphere vehicles. His training in zero-g combat and ship-to-ship boardings is basic, although he has been receiving additional instruction and drill in these areas under his new commanding officer since his assignment to the Liege.

History: There exists a segment of humanity that believed that possessing technological parity with alien species was insufficient to ensure humanity's place in the universe. Humanity itself needed to improve along with the tools it used, they believed. It is an argument not without merit, both in the context of what advances in human technologies have already done in improving quality of life and increasing human longevity, and in the context of capabilities possessed by alien species that humanity encountered during the long war. To this end, scientists with more scientific curiousity and genius than morals and ethics were recruited from across human space, relocated to the planet Nobel's Prize, given a bleeding edge facility, an unlimited budget, and the mandate to improve upon the human condition. Project Hyperion was the name given to them, and where it existed in official records it was ostensibly a project to improve collection and use of solar energy. The Project had several failures, created many abominations, but eventually succeeded in creating a new, genetically viable branch of humanity.

John Walker was given the name Urs Valchenko at his birth. If reaching maturation in an artificial womb suspended in tailored fluid could be called a birth. He was part of a test group of one hundred, evenly divided into males and females. They were taught by androids and conditioned to place high priority upon the continued survival of the human race. Each of them was taught that although they were different from baseline humans, this was a distinction that alien races would not make; aliens would try to exterminate all humanity. They learned the academics normal children would learn, but they also began combat training at age 4. Deleterious mutations and combat training incidents claimed the lives of 37 subjects, who were nevertheless useful as subjects for Project Einharjar (a more sinister project intended to find a way to reanimate the dead).

By age 14 the subjects were deployed in combat. They enjoyed success in combat against the Therianthropes, a species whose morphology resembled humanoid animals. John acquitted himself well, showing no signs of combat fatigue even after eight consecutive combat sorties in five days. In several sorties John killed enemy contacts with his bare hands, possessing sufficient strength to destroy enemy tissue. The subjects were given falsified backgrounds at age 18 and integrated into human combat forces. John was made a member of the Drop Infantry Regiment XX-114, known informally as the War Hounds. The War Hounds possessed an extremely high casualty rating, even relative to Drop Infantry, whose role as shock troops already resulted in high casualties in enemy engagements. John became an aberration, the first War Hound to survive to 100 combat jumps. Frequently, John would be the only soldier left of those deployed to the combat zone, surprising and embittering pilots who thought they had slack duty after being assigned to extract War Hounds. He would go on to perform 1,013 combat jumps with the War Hounds, fighting on twenty-four alien populated worlds and on three human populated worlds.

The last jump John performed changed his life forever. In a way, it ended it. Or rather, the life of Urs Valchenko. The War Hounds dropped five squads into an urban area, operating under the intelligence that the area harboured treasonous insurrectionists who were selling intelligence crucial to humanity's war efforts to alien aggressors as well as giving aid and comfort to alien invasion forces currently operating on world as fifth-columnists and engaging in terrorist attacks against civilian centers. While this intelligence was later deemed accurate, it failed to identify that the majority of contacts in the combat zone were non-combatants. Or that Global Federation special correspondent Gloria Crix was on location doing a story about the military's unethical combat doctrines that violated several treaties and the New Geneva Conventions.

Her news crew broadcast the War Hounds' systematic slaughter and torture of 512 humans. Gloria Crix and her crew were also killed, although they were given quick, execution style deaths when they were found. Unfortunately for the War Hounds, the video footage was broadcast as it happened via live feed to six receptor sites and by the time the military could enforce its powers of suppression under the Interstellar Survival Act and the War Neccessities Measures, it was too late. The War Hounds involved faced courts martial, and the officers were sentenced to death for their war crimes. Many soldiers who had committed the most egregious acts of torture were also sentenced to death. Urs and several others were simply sentenced to death of personality and neural resocialization. And even this was the result of Project's backers exerting their influence to save an investment - a man died in John's place, and Urs was buried deep into the hidden recesses of John's brain and a new persona was built up to be John Walker.

As John Walker, he is unaware of his history as Urs Valchenko. As far as anyone is concerned, Urs Valchenko was executed for war crimes and his remains spaced, a disgrace to his species unworthy of burial upon human soil. He has been John Walker for six years, and official records indicate he is an amnesiac as a result of traumatic stress - memories erased due to his mind trying to cope with something. All records indicate he is an unexceptional member of the New Titan Space Marine Corps - an adequate soldier of the line, unlikely to ever possess the skillset of even a non-commissioned officer, let alone receive a commission. His new regiment was reduced below fighting strength during an engagement with pirates following a disastrous engagement, and the survivors were doled out to replace gaps in others units' strength. John, whose record indicates mediocrity, or simple adequacy at best, was sent off to be part of the Liege's complement of marines by a warrant officer who was entirely too pleased with what she viewed as a two birds with one stone situation: honour New Titans' obligation to commit to central forces while finding a position for a soldier who would be eminently undesirable on paper.

Extra info(optional): As part of Project Hyperion, the baseline genetic alterations for all subjects removed genetic defects and predispositions towards cancer, hypertension, and other physically deleterious conditions. From there, subjects were genetically optimized for physical attributes (e.g. strength, dexterity, overall health), hand-eye coordination, reaction time, metabolic function, visual acuity, healing, and so forth. Further genetic enhancements altered the genome in order to improve and exceed the capacity of even a genetically optimized human being. The Project eventually succeeded, creating an uplifted version of the human genome by grafting a third strand, creating a triple helix DNA structure. Improvements in strength, dexterity, tissue density and durability, resistance to injury, resistance to disease, visual acuity, hand-eye coordination, and reaction times improved incredibly. A subject's cardiovascular and pulmonary systems operate at levels exceeding peak human performance, enabling feats of athleticism impossible for a natural born human being. Thyroid function is beyond optimized, effectively rendering subjects of the Project 'supercharged,' but increasing nutritional requirements. Eyesight is improved, enabling subjects to perceive accurately beyond human ranges and make shots an unaugmented human would require a scope for. Subjects also possess low-light vision due to improved eye structure, as well as resistance to harm due to bright lights (e.g. flashbangs). Accelerated the production of platelets within bone marrow aids in reducing trauma from grievous wounds and more quickly stops bleeding. Modifications to the neural system result in faster synapse response, allowing faster action and reaction. Furthermore, subjects may function while suffering from pain and trauma that would prohibit action in a normal human being. Resistance to toxins is improved due to enhancement of liver and kidneys and associated function. Brain alterations result in subjects requiring 5 hours of sleep a day, ensures their sleep is consistently deep and restful, and enables active periods of 74 consecutive hours before performance begins to suffer due to lack of sleep. Subjects may also derive nourishment from a broader intake than regular humans, and more efficiently process intake, in addition to being more tolerant of ingested matter. John was recorded, prior to the augmentations he received later in life,  as capable of running at a speed of 47 kmph, bench pressing 818.3 kg, and performing at an otherwise greater than human capacity.

In John's case, these baseline augmentations were further enhanced by post-puberty bioware augmentations. His skeletal structure was further densened and reinforced with ceramic polymer grafts (his ligaments were also reinforced), rendering it virtually unbreakable. He further underwent a number of procedures like joint-surface coating, relubrication, and tendon and ligament augmentation lead to more fluid muscle and joint action. Existing muscles were enhanced by a biological weaving treatment, wherein special vat-grown muscle cables and vat-grown elastic muscle fibers were braided into existing muscle fibers, enhancing the muscle’s mass, performance, tension and
flexibility. An energy-diffusing material was laced just beneath the skin providing the equivalent of personal non-powered armor and some heat-masking, which is what gives his skin its occasional artificial appearance.

Urs Valchenko still exists. He is buried deeply within John Walker, and on rare occasions, John has nightmares where he relives Urs's experiences in a disturbingly vivid fashion. The skull on Walker's Model 7 CQB Environmental Mask was something John did as a result of an impulse derived from Urs's presence in his mind. A potent psyker could suppress the John Walker persona and dredge Urs Valchenko to the fore, as undesirable as that would be. A psychologist with the proper training and equipment could probably replicate the feat, although such attempts have less than a percent record of success (which is desirable, as easy reversal defeats the punitive purpose of death of personality).

TheGlyphstone

Destiny Ascension

Hmph, my character's last name is Walker too... very ninja cold, very ninja indeed.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

Cold Heritage

8-) Nice. I have ninja powers.

Destiny Ascension

Yeah? Well, I'm not changing my characters last name, so, hello distant cousin! :D

Name: Bethany Walker, callsign 'Widow'

Species: Human

Rank: Lieutenant Commander, Senior Intelligence Officer, 3rd Carrier Fighter Wing, formerly on the carrier Novas

Appearance:

Training: Flight academy, combat flight training, intelligence(tactical and strategic) officer school, basic infantry warfare training.

History: Born on the Mars colony in Sol and raised depending on where her parents were stationed, Bethany was raised the only child of a well decorated naval fighter pilot and a Marine Drill Sergeant. As a result of constant moving and her parents being away, she rarely developed close relationships, and instead spent her time going between education and doing things on her own. She grew up very self reliant, preferring to do everything herself, even if it was her first time. She liked playing games with other kids, even if she never formed relationships with them, but one thing she hated growing up was all the moving she did. Frequent transfers, and the fact her parents were often deployed separately made her childhood chaotic and unreliable at best. Her parents were demanding and overbearing, being critical at failure and unresponsive if she succeeded. She was loved, and cherished, but rarely rewarded or congratulated. Bethany never made friends because she'd move before she could come to know anyone, and living with one parent at a time, and even then seeing them rarely, made her feel lonely and often times abandoned. Still, she made the best of her situation when she could. She never excelled in her studies, but had a thing for mobility sports, though never pursued that direction with any seriousness, she had grown up around the military and that was where she was most comfortable.

Bethany went to a military friendly university on Earth through a naval officer entry program which paid for her education. She took a 4 year degree in flight engineering before attending officer training and later, flight school. She proved herself a capable pilot, learning the complex nature of space craft rather quickly and her wealth of experience in dexterous sports and jobs in her teen years gave her a slight edge, though she was still terrified the first time she piloted a craft on her own. Bethany pushed herself viciously through training, often times taking a night without sleep in order to read manuals or watch videos of her training flights, urgent to improve in any area she could. She was promoted quickly to Lieutenant Junior Grade following her graduation from the flight academy, of which she was at the top, qualified as a space interceptor pilot.

She was first assigned to the 19th Combat Fighter Wing based out of a small outpost near the edges of Sol, though after her first enlistment she was transfer to the 8th CFW based in an alien part of space, which was Bethany's first experience meeting aliens. Bethany saw small bursts of action and combat, but nothing significant ever came her way. She only lasted a few months before the nagging feeling crept into her mind that she was being punished for something, or that she had failed to meet the standards for a better posting, especially aboard a ship. Her station was not boring by any means, frequent action was in plentiful supply, but it wasn't ever challenging, often interdiction of piracy or smuggling.

She proved herself a capable and steady pilot, with a little bit of combat experience and plenty of flight hours logged on patrols or deployments to nearby systems. Bethany was promoted nearly 21 months into her second enlistment to the rank of Lieutenant, and as a result took on the role as one of the wing intelligence officers. She had a good habit of remembering details, and was capable of organizing herself and her work in quick order, usually doing it properly. Though rarely social, she did not grow nervous in presenting higher ranked officers, humans or aliens, with whatever information she had, and this endeared her to her wing senior intelligence officer, who pushed her career in the right direction. Though it was unspoken, assignments for pilots to ground or stationary posts usually meant a short, unfulfilled career, and clearly Bethany wasn't interested in a short career.

Almost a year into her second enlistment, Bethany was suddenly transfered to the ship Novas, a carrier that spent most of its time on long patrols to any number of systems. Its flight wing was filled with capable veterans, though only a few openings existed, one of them was for a wing intelligence officer. Bethany took to long term space deployment well enough, settling into a new wing easily. She had little experience landing on a space craft, let alone through combat drills, but the wing trained almost constantly, and Bethany found it difficult to juggle her duties as an intelligence officer with maintaining her flight hours and patrol hours, let alone the numerous and constant drills and training exercises her CAG demanded. Following the start of the Mythril war, Bethany was again promoted to Lieutenant Commander and made senior intelligence officer of her wing, after her former commander lost his eyesight following a training accident, though cybnertic enhancements would allow him to return within a few months, the Novas was destroyed following a rebel attack on the Adamantium project. In desperation, she landed on the only ship around her, the Liege.

Personality: Bethany enjoys friendly company and simple relationships, though she rarely strives to develop any, she is never the less sociable and outgoing. She prefers to find her way into the seat of a fighter whenever she can, enjoying calm, quiet sector patrols as much as lively combat training, and though she would never admit it, nothing compares to real combat. She is reckless and quick thinking at heart, but is a stout military officer, and follows orders well, even if she disagrees. She can be boisterous, especially after a fight, though is not prone to aggressiveness or anger, she is easily stressed and can become anxious or overanalytical as a result. She dislikes people who simplify tasks, especially on a war ship, and doubly so for officers and senior enlisted.

She can be passively aggressive at times, especially when she lacks motivation or any form of challenge. She is not a thrill seeker by nature, but pushes herself beyond her own limits, often and recklessly, in order to prove she is the best, and can stay the best, even under stress. Bethany lacks a strong sense of self confidence, and as a result, she pushes her own boundaries needlessly, often taking more patrols or  volunteering for excessively dangerous missions she might be qualified for, but would be wasted on, for example, scouting an asteroid field. She is a very competant combat fighter pilot, but the fast paced, tricky manouvers required in an asteroid field are not her strong suit. Never the less, she volunteers frequently, and rarely looks after herself if she feels there is work left to be done.

Cold Heritage

:D Hello, distant cousin! Glad to see another human in the mix.

Gary Stargazer

Thanks for having me, this will be my first RP in a forum venue, so please feel free to give me gentle nudges if I'm not up to par, I will try to do my best. :3

Anyhoo since no one has claimed it, I will be happy to take up the role of the ships doctor. I might make him a combat medic or something similar so he can join the away team planet side. I will write something up tonight and post a char sheet in the morning after I get off work.

SomeGuy

So Cold... you're Master Chief but better, with a laser gun?

Tick

Destiny, I'm not sure how she ended up on Liege which is a misfit ship. And looking back at Samuel, I can't really see how he works out either.

Destiny Ascension

Hmmm, well her former posting(aka, ship) got blown up during the big show just before the Liege made the big, nasty jump. I suppose I should clarify that. >_>

TheGlyphstone

...I've got it. Rather than try and bug anyone into making a misfit, I'll make everyone misfits by comparison!

Character Profile:

Name: Galyphia Victoria "Vicky" Kathryne Steven Starlight Jak'yam'yn Honor Marisdottr Sue

Species: Olympiana (like human, but with wings and exceptionally beautiful)

Age: 65,16,680 (looks 17, born 9000 million years in the future)

Rank: Honorary Grand High Supreme Lady Admiral-General-In-Chief

Appearance: Can shapeshift, but usually looks like a tall beautiful human girl with gold-flecked amethyst eyes that can exhibit a deep, soul-piercing stare of total understanding and silver-streaked whitish blond hair that glistens like strands of thin diamonds under the light. She has a tiny scar just above her left eyebrow that only makes her more attractive.

Eight billion years from now, the entire galaxy will be at peace and happiness, led by the people of the planet Olympia. They look just like humans, but have wings, and every one of them is as beautiful as the most beautiful supermodel that ever existed. They are super-strong and super-fast because they grow up under extra heavy gravity that is removed when they become adults and stop aging physically when they appear to be 17 thanks to friendly nanobots who also repair any physical damage they take and keep them from getting sick. Their technology is so much better than anyone else's that no one tries to have a war with them, but it's okay because they are peaceful and only want to share their perfect lives with all other species including humans, who their ancestors used to be before they evolved past humanity. The nanobots in their body require a special rare mineral to keep functioning, but she has a special implant that synthesizes the mineral from the air she breathes so her nanobots never stop working.

Training: She can talk to machines by touching them and fix things that are broken by asking them to be fixed so she is assistant chief engineer, and she graduated first in her class from the most difficult space command academies in the galaxy so she is assistant chief captain, and she can imagine any battle in her head and predict what enemies will do so she is assistant chief gunnery officer, and she singlehandedly invaded five planets and captured them armed with only a rusty butter knife so she is assistant chief marine commander, and she is universally beloved by anyone who looks at her so she is assistant chief diplomat. She can hack any computer, sing, play every instrument ever invented, and paint amazing art, along with being such a good shot she can score a bullseye from a mile away with her eyes closed, and dodge bullets.

History: She was born as the daughter of a powerful sorceress and an extradimensional god who fell in love with the sorceress, who was also the queen of her planet, but as a baby she was kidnapped by evil people and sold into slavery, adopted by a slave couple only to see them killed in front of her and be orphaned (or so she thought). Then the evil scientists who had bought her as a slave experimented on her as a child and spliced into her the DNA from all of the most powerful races in the galaxy, trying to make a super-mega-hybrid. They also beat her. And raped her. Every other test of this had died horribly, but she survived to gain all of the strengths of the races and none of their weaknesses which let her escape the lab and kill all the evil scientists. They had also cut off her wings, but now she had psychic powers that let her fly without them, and her magical bloodline talents had awakened to make her the most powerful magician in the universe.

Then she was alone and had to raise herself living on the streets homeless, living off the kindness of strangers who felt sorry for the homely, ragged little urchin, until she saved the life of a nobleman who adopted her into his household, and he turned out to be her uncle so she was back with her original family. But then it was discovered that an unbreakable rock was going to collide with her planet and kill everyone, that couldn't be stopped. An oracle made a prophecy that she would be the chosen one to save them, and her god-father could not save her planet but he could send her back in time to save the planet instead. She knew by studying everything that if a single spaceship many years in the past managed to use its warp drive successfully, it would end up deflecting a single tiny piece of space dust that would have instead hit the rock about to smash her planet and deflect it just enough that it could be permanently redirected by a ragtag band of oil drillers sacrificing themselves to plant a nuclear bomb on its surface.

So she went back, but accidentally went back too far so that the war hadn't happened yet. In fact, humans hadn't even gotten into space yet, or even evolved yet, and that had to happen otherwise her people would never exist. So she steered an asteroid to hit the planet and wipe out the dinosaurs, then waited for humans to appear. She used her shapeshifting powers to pretend to be many different gods to motivate humans to grow up and develop,and sometimes lived among them pretending to be a human and having children who would grow up to be the many-many-many-times ancestors of the Olympian people. When the first human space ship went to the moon, she was secretly following along, and destroyed the alien spaceship waiting to ambush it in revenge for the battle fleet she had singlehandedly wiped out in defense of Earth before humanity ever knew about it. She invented warp drive and whispered the secrets of how to build it into the ear of the head human scientist in his bed while he was sleeping before erasing his memories of her existence, then joined the ordinary military as a common soldier who fought bravely against the rebel humans and then the alien menace. When peace came, she was disguised as one of the diplomats who got humans into the Galactic Alliance, and she secretly arranged for humans to discover the mythril element as warp drive fuel without anyone knowing it was her.

And then the new civil war started, as she had know it would because of her divination visions of the past and how she had planned everything beforehand, so she teleported aboard the Liege and secretly sabotaged the warp drive while invisible to make it go off course, and now having saved her future must save the crew of the ship that she had fallen in love with and had all fallen in love with her. She fights with a sword that looks just like a Japanese katana except that it is magically unbreakable and can cut through anything, including force fields. Also, she doesn't exist, and if you managed to read through all that drivel above then I applaud you, good sir or ma'am. Enjoy your internet cookie for sitting through this while I write up my real character despite how much sadistic fun this was to do.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Cold Heritage on December 15, 2011, 12:04:26 AM
:D Hello, distant cousin! Glad to see another human in the mix.

I'll be having a human character too, just trying to decide minor things like gender.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Cold Heritage

Quote from: SomeGuy on December 15, 2011, 01:26:01 AM
So Cold... you're Master Chief but better, with a laser gun?

I don't know enough about Halo to answer that question.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 15, 2011, 08:31:28 AM
...I've got it. Rather than try and bug anyone into making a misfit, I'll make everyone misfits by comparison!

If you've got it in you to write all that up to spite everyone else, I think you really need to re-evaluate whether you should be playing with the rest of us (or everyone else, since Tick hasn't said anything about whether my character's okay or not).

TheGlyphstone

Passive-aggressive!? Good sir, I take insult at that. I am being very actively aggressive, and successfully so!

My playbook is a champion one, full of humor and sarcasm.

Cold Heritage

I realized my usage error and modified my post to reflect that.

TheGlyphstone

My sole purpose, as stated and defended, is to continue promoting the game Tick actually wanted people to play, rather than the characters people are trying to submit. To flip your statement, if you're so determined to not make a character who fits the theme,, you might want to re-evaluate whether you should be playing at all.

SomeGuy

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 15, 2011, 08:31:28 AM

Character Profile:

Name: Galyphia Victoria "Vicky" Kathryne Steven Starlight Jak'yam'yn Honor Marisdottr Sue

Species: Olympiana (like human, but with wings and exceptionally beautiful)

Age: 65,16,680 (looks 17, born 9000 million years in the future)

Rank: Honorary Grand High Supreme Lady Admiral-General-In-Chief

Appearance: Can shapeshift, but usually looks like a tall beautiful human girl with gold-flecked amethyst eyes that can exhibit a deep, soul-piercing stare of total understanding and silver-streaked whitish blond hair that glistens like strands of thin diamonds under the light. She has a tiny scar just above her left eyebrow that only makes her more attractive.

Eight billion years from now, the entire galaxy will be at peace and happiness, led by the people of the planet Olympia. They look just like humans, but have wings, and every one of them is as beautiful as the most beautiful supermodel that ever existed. They are super-strong and super-fast because they grow up under extra heavy gravity that is removed when they become adults and stop aging physically when they appear to be 17 thanks to friendly nanobots who also repair any physical damage they take and keep them from getting sick. Their technology is so much better than anyone else's that no one tries to have a war with them, but it's okay because they are peaceful and only want to share their perfect lives with all other species including humans, who their ancestors used to be before they evolved past humanity. The nanobots in their body require a special rare mineral to keep functioning, but she has a special implant that synthesizes the mineral from the air she breathes so her nanobots never stop working.

Training: She can talk to machines by touching them and fix things that are broken by asking them to be fixed so she is assistant chief engineer, and she graduated first in her class from the most difficult space command academies in the galaxy so she is assistant chief captain, and she can imagine any battle in her head and predict what enemies will do so she is assistant chief gunnery officer, and she singlehandedly invaded five planets and captured them armed with only a rusty butter knife so she is assistant chief marine commander, and she is universally beloved by anyone who looks at her so she is assistant chief diplomat. She can hack any computer, sing, play every instrument ever invented, and paint amazing art, along with being such a good shot she can score a bullseye from a mile away with her eyes closed, and dodge bullets.

History: She was born as the daughter of a powerful sorceress and an extradimensional god who fell in love with the sorceress, who was also the queen of her planet, but as a baby she was kidnapped by evil people and sold into slavery, adopted by a slave couple only to see them killed in front of her and be orphaned (or so she thought). Then the evil scientists who had bought her as a slave experimented on her as a child and spliced into her the DNA from all of the most powerful races in the galaxy, trying to make a super-mega-hybrid. They also beat her. And raped her. Every other test of this had died horribly, but she survived to gain all of the strengths of the races and none of their weaknesses which let her escape the lab and kill all the evil scientists. They had also cut off her wings, but now she had psychic powers that let her fly without them, and her magical bloodline talents had awakened to make her the most powerful magician in the universe.

Then she was alone and had to raise herself living on the streets homeless, living off the kindness of strangers who felt sorry for the homely, ragged little urchin, until she saved the life of a nobleman who adopted her into his household, and he turned out to be her uncle so she was back with her original family. But then it was discovered that an unbreakable rock was going to collide with her planet and kill everyone, that couldn't be stopped. An oracle made a prophecy that she would be the chosen one to save them, and her god-father could not save her planet but he could send her back in time to save the planet instead. She knew by studying everything that if a single spaceship many years in the past managed to use its warp drive successfully, it would end up deflecting a single tiny piece of space dust that would have instead hit the rock about to smash her planet and deflect it just enough that it could be permanently redirected by a ragtag band of oil drillers sacrificing themselves to plant a nuclear bomb on its surface.

So she went back, but accidentally went back too far so that the war hadn't happened yet. In fact, humans hadn't even gotten into space yet, or even evolved yet, and that had to happen otherwise her people would never exist. So she steered an asteroid to hit the planet and wipe out the dinosaurs, then waited for humans to appear. She used her shapeshifting powers to pretend to be many different gods to motivate humans to grow up and develop,and sometimes lived among them pretending to be a human and having children who would grow up to be the many-many-many-times ancestors of the Olympian people. When the first human space ship went to the moon, she was secretly following along, and destroyed the alien spaceship waiting to ambush it in revenge for the battle fleet she had singlehandedly wiped out in defense of Earth before humanity ever knew about it. She invented warp drive and whispered the secrets of how to build it into the ear of the head human scientist in his bed while he was sleeping before erasing his memories of her existence, then joined the ordinary military as a common soldier who fought bravely against the rebel humans and then the alien menace. When peace came, she was disguised as one of the diplomats who got humans into the Galactic Alliance, and she secretly arranged for humans to discover the mythril element as warp drive fuel without anyone knowing it was her.

And then the new civil war started, as she had know it would because of her divination visions of the past and how she had planned everything beforehand, so she teleported aboard the Liege and secretly sabotaged the warp drive while invisible to make it go off course, and now having saved her future must save the crew of the ship that she had fallen in love with and had all fallen in love with her. She fights with a sword that looks just like a Japanese katana except that it is magically unbreakable and can cut through anything, including force fields. Also, she doesn't exist, and if you managed to read through all that drivel above then I applaud you, good sir or ma'am. Enjoy your internet cookie for sitting through this while I write up my real character despite how much sadistic fun this was to do.

*golf clap*

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: SomeGuy on December 15, 2011, 12:28:38 PM
*golf clap*

*bows*

And to  think that was only 30min of work or so - 20min of writing, 10 of studying the Ultimate Mary Sue Litmus Test for ideas. Now to pray Tick doesn't accidentally miss the joke and approve the character anyways...

SomeGuy

Now, now. That's a little mean. I can understand your frustration, but he's trying to be nice and accepting about things.

ShadowFox89

You forgot to include her being Spock's twin sister.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Not being mean, Tick's great so far. I'd just be upset if my comic genius went completely unnoticed, and he either accepted it (due to not reading it thoroughly), or rejected it (from not realizing the joke). Basically, him taking it seriously at all would be sadface worthy.

Oh hey, I'm being useful! Information about ranks for a space navy (copied shamelessly from David Weber's Honorverse wiki, but it's useful all the same:

Naval Hierarchy
Non-flag Commissioned Officers (In charge of individual ships)
•   Captain (Senior Grade) -(A captain earmarked for a flag officer slot as soon as one opens up, the highest you can get and still get to have a ship of your own)
•   Captain (Junior Grade)
•   Commander
•   Lieutenant Commander
•   Lieutenant (Senior Grade)
•   Lieutenant (Junior Grade)
•   Ensign
Non-Commissioned Officers:
•   Senior Master Chief Petty Officer[7]
•   Master Chief Petty Officer
•   Senior Chief Petty Officer
•   Chief Petty Officer
•   Petty Officer First Class
•   Petty Officer Second Class
•   Petty Officer Third Class
Pilots of parasite fighters would probably be NCO Petty Officers, or just highly talented Enlisted personnel (rank of Spacer First, Second, or Third class).

Hierarchy of Marines aboard ship (Officers)
•   Major
•   Captain
•   First Lieutenant
•   Second Lieutenant
Non-Commissioned Officers:
•   Regimental Sergeant Major
•   Sergeant Major - the highest Marine SNCO aboard the ship, called "the Gunny"
•   First Sergeant
•   Master Sergeant
•   Staff Sergeant
•   Platoon Sergeant
•   Lance Corporal
•   Corporal
Enlisted personnel:
•   Private First Class
•   Private

And Titled Jobs/Positions to fill (as opposed to "grunt"-jobs like  'Marine' or 'Pilot'):

Bridge crew:
•   Astrogator - The astrogator was a vessel's navigator. The astrogator would plot courses for the vessel, and find shipping lanes to be used. The astrogator had an assistant to the job.
•   Commanding Officer- The Commanding officer of a vessel was the ship's captain, and commanded the vessel. The commanding officer was abbreviated to CO. 
•   Communications Officer- The role of the communications officer was to monitor, relay, and transmit the communications of a vessel.
•   Executive Officer- The executive officer was the second highest ranking officer behind the Commanding officer on a vessel. An alternative term for executive officer would be the first officer. Abbreviated as XO.
•   Helmsman- The role of Helmsman was the individual who steered the vessel. It was Non Commissioned Officer's position.
•   Junior Tactical Officer- The role of the Junior Tactical Officer was below the Assistant Tactical Officer with a station on the bridge.
•   Tactical Officer- The role of tactical officer on board a warship was the plotting of firing arcs for the vessel's weapons.

Important Marines:
•   Detachment Commander- The detachment commander was the officer in command of a Royal Manticoran Marine Corps detachment on a vessel.
Gunny - "Gunny" is the nickname for the rank of Gunnery Sergeant. No longer an official rank in the Royal Manticoran Marines, it is still used to refer to the senior non-commissioned Marine on board a ship.

Other Officers:
•   Boat Bay Officer- The BBO was an officer, who was in charge of the Boat Bay.
•   Chief Engineer- Chief Engineer is the ranking engineering officer and in command of the engineering department on a vessel. Assisted by second and third engineer.
•   Damage Control Specialist- The role of the damage control specialist was to coordinate with the various departments' damage control teams in repairing the most critical damaged areas of the ship. 
•   Engineering Officer- An engineering officer was an officer trained to maintain, to fix, and to command engineering departments on a vessel.
•   Chief Medical Officer- Chief medical officer is the ranking medical officer and in command of the main sickbay on a vessel. Called Surgeon Commander also .
•   Medical Officer- The medical officer was an officer who was trained in medicine to help treat patients on a vessel or a station. Called Surgeon also
•   Second Officer- The Second Officer was the third in command of a vessel.
•   Senior Assistant Chief Engineer- The Senior Assistant Chief Engineer was the second in command of the engineering department.
•   Supply Officer- The role of supply officer was to maintain a vessel's equipment, food, and other resources during missions and voyages. 

Enlisted and Non-Coms (as opposed to Non-Cons :D):
•   Bosun - The Bosun is the highest-ranking and chief non-commissioned officer on a ship, and is in charge of all enlisted personnel, including matters of discipline.
•   Pinnace Pilot- The crewmember, who pilots the pinnace (glorified passenger shuttle, not something any of us wants to be flying).
•   Quartermaster- The Quartermaster was an enlisted crewmember tasked with assisting the Astrogator of the watch in maintaining and updating star charts.

ShadowFox89

I'd like to note that I signed up to be a Science Officer.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

TheGlyphstone

Hm. Not on the list, probably because the list was meant for a purely military vessel, not a mixed military/research ship like us. You'd probably be equivalent to a Medical Officer then, holding military rank but outside the official chain of command.

Tick

First of all, everyone remember we are here to have fun, even if I critique your bio, its to try to keep the plot fitting and interesting. And I have to say a lot of people seem to have missed the point of a misfit.

On the other hand, the reason I haven't commented on John Walker, is because he is, no offense, almost word for word, just like the Halo books. hell, Master Chief's name is John in the books. Now, it is also not a unique plot(I have read several books who also are very similar to Halo and I myself have rped it a few times <.<) So thats not too big a deal to me. What really worries me is first that he will outshine everyone else, and second that he will have no weaknesses. I think that is what his insanity is suppose to be but I am not sure. So I just wanted to talk with you about what his limits are and I was probably going to approve it since its one of the only characters taht is actually a misfit.

This is not to be mean to everyone who has posted, I have enjoyed the postings and look forward to rping with you all, its actually amusing for me. Just trying to get a more misfit vibe going.

And Glyph, Medical is taken by... Gary Stargazer. Communications is taken by Latooni Subota.

We do need an XO.

Also, I am going to have to say no more "fighters from other ships landing on the Liege during the fight". Two is enough for that story to be honest. the Liege's crew shouldn't be neglected.

TheGlyphstone

I'll cross them off the list then.

EDIT: Actually, I created and crossed off Chief Medical officer, which wasn't on the list anyways and probably what Gary_Stargazer was aiming for (though if he wanted to be a normal doctor instead of the head of the medical department, that'd be an option).

Time for me to put my money where my mouth is and write up my own real character bio, though. Be back in a bit.

EDIT:

Name: Harold Carlin
Position: Chief Engineer
Appearance:
Harold is quite short - just over five feet, in fact, and quite slender, with narrow, angular limbs and a sharply planed face that tends to stick with a faint frown as his 'default' expression. He keeps his dark hair close-cropped against his skull, the better to avoid any painful or fatal entanglements with moving machinery, and wears tight clothing for much the same reasons even when outside the engine compartments. Both of his eyes have been replaced with cybernetic augments, and purely functional units at that - silver orbs with glowing red pupils, which can be unsettling to look at. They work fine for him, though, and he enjoys the discomfort of others exposed to them. His face, and much of his body, is marked with random scratches, scars, and dents from three-quarters of a century of engineering work and bar fights, all but the most grievous he refuses to have regenerated out of stubbornness.
Training:Practical training and extensive experience in mechanical and shipboard system operations. No formal combat training, but years of brawls have supplied plenty of self-taught tricks for dirty close combat fighting.
History: The biography of one Harold Carlin, L(JG), is dominated more by his rap sheet than anything else, which also happens to read like a step-by-step checklist of every committable and non-court-martial-worthy offense in the entire Vrec'Sevi navy. Insubordination, smuggling, racketeering, extortion, illegal gambling, brawling - you name it, he's been brought up on charges for it, and though not always convicted, he was almost always guilty of it. He's never gotten so far as to actually be discharged from the service, for better or worse, thanks to assorted extenuating circumstances that tend to boil down to 'his captains didn't want to lose him'. In a universe where he was slightly more respectable, he could have been famous across the navy for his talents in repairing and maintaining machinery that borders on the prodigal, if not the outright supernatural.

In this universe, though, he was born and grew up on one of the border worlds between human-dominated space and the territory composed primarily of alien-held planets, one settled jointly shortly after the official signing of the various peace treaties and just as quickly forgotten when it proved to have no notable resources to exploit offworld. Much of the planet lived in poverty, Harold's family among them, and joining the Navy was the only escape he and many of his peers had to escape the hardscabble, gang-and-violence-torn world around them. He quickly slotted into the engineering track, applying for officer school after a short stint as enlisted and miraculously scraping through the academy with just enough demerits to still graduate at the bottom of his class. Over the next fifty years, he proved to be as amazing an adept at coaxing overworked electronics and machinery to hold on just a bit longer or come back from the brink of inorganic death as he proved an inveterate magnet for trouble. It wasn't even a deliberate choice, so much as what seemed like an inborn talent for gravitating towards the most dangerous situation around and somehow making it worse. With only the barest veneer of respect for pompous and overblown officers, he had little compunctions against delving into the seedy underbelly of the Navy, and became as practiced a smuggler and black marketeer as the most corrupt supply officer, only lacking the connections a real logistics monkey would have for acquiring and distributing contraband. At some point or another, he had one of his eyes replaced with a ocular implant, and liked the additions it made to his visual suite enough to acquire a second one to match it.

Eventually, an eventful if unremarkable career dumped him in what seemed like the ultimate dead-end post, an obsolete dreadnaught called the Liege noteworthy only for its status as the guinea pig for various hairbrained experimental technologies. The latest being a refinement and upgrade of the mythril-powered warp drive, an innovation he views with equal disdain to any of the other 'modifications' the eggheads try to force on the ship...
Extra Notes: Harold smokes and drinks heavily - drinking on the job, smoking off it, and a crass and ill-tempered man regardless of which addiction he is currently indulging. His subordinates range from hateful to terrified of him and call him "The Imp' behind his back, but grudgingly respect his superiority in the ways of engineering as much as they loathe his interpersonal skills.

RabbitJanitor

Scotty!
But whats a ship to do without someone like Scotty.

I think I'll ditch my last idea and go for XO i got an idea for my characters Flaws, And we've got a good compliment of pilots already. Joinin' the bridge crew.

ShadowFox89

I would like to note that I am not making a Spock-like character....

....More like McKay.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Latooni Subota

Upon further thinking, I've decided not to go through with this after all. I didn't quite have enough interest in this. Rather, not as much interest as I initially thought I had. Sorry. :x

Cold Heritage

Glyphstone, I apologize for I said. I felt insulted reading your joke character, and I responded with that guiding me. It was, in retrospect, out of line of me. I was butthurt and raeged.

Quote from: Tick on December 15, 2011, 01:23:29 PM
First of all, everyone remember we are here to have fun, even if I critique your bio, its to try to keep the plot fitting and interesting. And I have to say a lot of people seem to have missed the point of a misfit.

On the other hand, the reason I haven't commented on John Walker, is because he is, no offense, almost word for word, just like the Halo books. hell, Master Chief's name is John in the books. Now, it is also not a unique plot(I have read several books who also are very similar to Halo and I myself have rped it a few times <.<) So thats not too big a deal to me. What really worries me is first that he will outshine everyone else, and second that he will have no weaknesses. I think that is what his insanity is suppose to be but I am not sure. So I just wanted to talk with you about what his limits are and I was probably going to approve it since its one of the only characters taht is actually a misfit.

I have no problem if you are critical of what I have written. I would have no problem with others being critical of it, either. If we are talking about it, then it is not a problem.

That's all fair stuff to say, Tick. I'm not offended. I have not read the Halo books or played the Halo games, and my knowledge comes from the articles on a Halo wiki, so I take you at your word how close it is. It's not what I set out to do, but I accept that I have failed in this respect. I meant to employ a broader number of sources; for example, I had intended and hoped the organization responsible for Project Hyperion would evoke Cerberus from Mass Effect, and the MP rifle is a direct lift from John Scalzi's Old Man's War (I neglected to even change the weapon's name).

For the concern that he will outshine everyone else, could you elaborate?

Perhaps I have been too overzealous in my language choices for John's abilities. He is good, even great, in several areas, but from reading other characters I do not think he could be the be all, end all in any respect (beyond Cold's power fantasy fulfillment, I suppose). From my perspective, there are areas where other characters are competent or excel that John has no capacity in. I'll outline my thoughts, and perhaps we can come to a better understanding of the others' positions.

Sve'rena, and probably Samuel (I make inference that, as an individual selected for officer training, the character possessed traits desirable in an officer in sufficient quantity to impress those above him), are going to be superior choices for the administrative aspects of being officers (as exciting as it is to roleplay out filling out personnel reports and filling out logs). In terms commanding troops, they are going to be better, in every respect. My expectation is that they would simply make more sound decisions reflecting their training to lead men and women. Their grasp of tactics is going to be stronger, their ability to keep troops in line and maintain morale superior. John is unlikely to earn even the grudging respect that Harold receives from his subordinates.

I would expect Keth to be stronger, as a member of a species that is more physically powerful than others (perhaps I read too much into it? I took SomeGuy saying that the species favoured heavy weaponry without fear of recoil to indicate an incredibly robust species). Keth likely has a broader skillset, as that character is a special operative, although that again may be inferring too much on my part. As for skill . . . that's more difficult to quantify in freeform. Keth represents a special operative of his species' armed forces, and that pretty much by definition means he is a highly skilled and highly trained soldier. John is older, and has by virtue of that alone taken part in more combat, but that does not necessarily mean to me that John would be the better fighter. Keth is almost certainly better with knives and bladed weapons. For similar reasons, I am not certain that Sve'rena would be outshone by John in terms of being skilled at combat, and she has both a much longer military career than John as well as her own species' special forces training (and her species, like Keth's, is a warrior one, which means that both Keth and Sve'rena are certainly exceptional individuals in their own right to rate as special forces). Perhaps I underrate the disadvantageousness you describe in her artificial limbs.

Kyrrazazovy and Bethany are going to be the superior pilots, as I don't believe that John would be capable of operating military fighting vehicles of any sort. It's not training I envisioned him receiving, and even if the craft are sufficient ergonomic that he could operate them, there would be no contest - NPC pilots of any competency would be superior. Bethany's role as intelligence officer is likewise not something that John could infringe upon.

Harold, and any forthcoming technologically oriented characters have no need to fear John upstaging them in dealing with scenarios pertinent to their specific fields. If the ship's engine is about to blow and John's the only one around to fix it, well . . . the Liege's engine is going to blow up, and unless John can get to safety, John's going to die.

It might help to think of John as being like Grunt from Mass Effect 2 to understand what I was trying to achieve. Grunt's what you get when you take Collector tech, pour in all the best Krogan bits, and see what comes out. As useful as Grunt may be in a fight, you still need Mordin to come up with a solution to the seeker swarm problem; Jacob, Garrus, and Zaeed are all solid options with their own virtues even if they are not good in the same way Grunt is; and he is not a biotic so when you need one of those Grunt is not an option.

As for having no weaknesses, you are right. I did not give the some overt condition by which he can be specially disabled. Exposing him to a chunk of an allegedly rare but in practice ubiquitous green rock will not rob him of his ability to point a gun at someone's face. Damage Type Y will not be doubled against him and ignore all defenses. You cannot wave a stick at his face and have a text bubble pop up saying "You used stick! It's super effective!" and John keels over. The character having a previous personality buried deeply in his subconscious is not something I would describe as a weakness. There's a lot of things that John cannot do, or cannot do well, but that's hardly any kind of weakness.

All that said, I have reconsidered participating in this game, and I have come to the conclusion that it is not for me.

Frelance

Alright so here is a scientist for the ship. I am will make him more of a misfit if needed. Just let me know.

Character Profile:

Name: Damen Kaden

Appearance: (I am still looking for a picture for him)

Training: Asteriod mining, Nano-Technology/ engineering and Mythril knowledge.

History: was born on a mining ship where he was spent the next twenty years.  It didn’t take long before it was noticed how fast he was learning. By his tenth birthday he had gone through every source of information on board including what came in regularly from supply runs. He started to go with the shuttles so he could bring back what he wanted. This pattern lasted for about five years in which time the ships efficiency almost double through Damen’s improvements on the ships system.

The ship finished off its latest job and returned to one of the outer systems. While the ship was in dry dock for some overdo refits Damen attended a university. A few months later when the ship was ready Damen decided to stay on the planet and finish off his degree in Nano-technology. It took him only two years to finish what would have taken anyone else five years to complete.

Over the next thirty years he made a name for himself by furthering the research and application of nanotech. Eventually he started branching out and expanding on his knowledge but nothing caught his interest like the nanos. When he finished the final project he was working on Damen took a job with a company that produced specialized equipment. After a few years him and his team ended up at the research station since they were hired to build a few specialized pieces of equipment. It was not until after the war broke out and getting transport off the planet became difficult that he started to work with the scientists on the planet. He finally got off the planet with the other scientists and was transported to the Liege which from what he had heard was far from the flagship of the fleets.

Extra info:
The last thing he wants to do is to work with anything close to Mythril so he will make an effort to find other jobs that he can do.

Both eyes have nanobots that form halo screens and connect to the enhancements in both his hands. This causes his eyes to almost flicker when the light hits them right.

He is even mannered enough but if he is asked to do something that he thinks is less important than what he is already working on he will make it known how he feels which is what had gotten him in a few rough spots before. Then again if he is given the opportunity to take a look at a new technology he will drop everything he is working on.

He will do almost for more knowledge or something new to play around with. The same goes for a getting into a zero-G environment. He has never gotten tired of the space walks he grew up with.

ShadowFox89

Could the ship have two scientists aboard? Damen seems to be focused on nanotech and asteroid mining. I figure my character would be more interested in tinkering with.. just about anything.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Frelance

I am fine with that. I figured he would have at least one other scientist around.

RabbitJanitor

Alright, Here's what I've got so far. Im open to suggestions, feel free to comment and stuff.

Name: Zaide Tar'Delik
Species: Huslan Male - 3rd Form, Architect, then Warrior.

Huslan are Humanoid beings from a system deep in space.  Huslan are a tight knit species, and only managed to expand to three of the planets in their solar system before encountering the Vrec'Sevi. It wasn't that they were low tech or timid, they were focused on scientific discovery. Evolving their race to new heights. This idea was shattered with First Contact. Their was no war, First contact was short. An exchange of data and a few technologies. A few months later the Huslan sent a peace offering, asking to be directly involved with research and development teams in the Vrec'Sevi. They were accepted after some debate and quickly moved in system to help. Huslan have extraordinary minds and quick builders, some of the best engineers, although there evolution system makes them a versatile species.

Instead of growing into a Single adult form, the Huslan are able to Mutate themselves naturally with the help of an elder- and in later years, AIs, Nano tech and medical procedures - into a being designed for a general task. Later the being can mutate further into a very specialized task in there first mutation's branch. Cross mutations are almost always failures. The mutation possess is usually passed down in familys, making children 'born in the family business' it is very uncommon for a family member to rebel against their family's 'branch' and into another. Not unheard of though.

The First form Huslan is one Metier tall, has pale skin, black eyes, and is Boney. They possess Five fingers and one thumb. Their feet are hooved. Other forms varie depending on mutation. Architects are thin, nimble, and have blue eyes. Their skin turns gray and they grow half a metier usually. Warrior mutations grow a full metier. They form an exoskeleton type around their heads, knuckles, arms, shins, pelvis and a hard case around their chests. They have Green eyes and are the strongest of the species. Manipulars or Miners stay their size, grow strong and hearty. Their skin goes dark gray and eyes yellow. Their are several other mutations, Life Weavers, Breeders, Spacers.

Appearance: Zaide is 189 Centimeters tall, is skinny and boney. His Eyes are Purple, a blur between the Architect and Warrior mutations. He has black hair that complements his gray skin. His Architect mutation gave him the brain, skin, Thinness, and nimbleness of a scientist. His Warrior mutation gave him the extra height, and several of the bone structures, around his chest, his knuckles, forearms and shins. His uniform is Perfectly pressed and fitted. It's black form a powerful tether to sanity and calm in the heat battle. The gold rank of commander expertly sown in, the imprint of Captain behind it. On duty he is armed with a pistol described below.
Training: Vrec'Sevi Officer Academy, Ship Command Honers. Ship to ship battle command training, Specialist in Electronic Warfare. Crack shot with a side arm. Basic ground Command tactics. Basic pilot training (Standard transport craft). Three years as Drill Sgt. At the Academy. Basic Astro-Nav.
History: Zaide was born on Daict, the Huslan home world. His first twenty years he spent growing up in a family of royalty, his relatives were Architects, so when he reached age he mutated into an architect form. They held a high position in the Huslan government, do it was only natural he perused a position of command among the Vrec'Sevi Naval ranks. Stating at the academy and working diligently he graduated with command honors. Soon after his family was killed by a disease that hit his home planet hard, wiping out most of it's population, and due to slack quarantine procedures moved to a neighboring planet. His older brother was the only one to survive. This devastated him and he spent several years in turmoil. It was a fellow Huslan that brought him out of his mediocre command. One he fell in love with later, a Warrior form named Marin. She helped him successfully mutate into a warrior third form.

They both lived happily, apart and together, for years at a time and slowly drifted apart. He was Captain of a Destroyer named, The Brink of Defiance, and on a mission passing through his home system he detected a distress signal. Doing his duty he answered the call for help, moving towards Daict. Seven ships were floating in space, and a message was replaying over an over, stating that a new string of virus had evolved and was on board the seven ships. The crews were still alive and well though. Only one scientist on board had the proof of it's existence.Zaide sent a message to command, relaying the situation and asking direct permission to destroy all seven ships. Command denied the request and ordered Zaide to guard the ships until they could dispatch a proper sterilization ship. After receiving this message he ordered the crew of his ship to destroy the ships anyway. The risk of another outbreak was to great and he would not let his species suffer again. The crew, who had no awareness of the transmission executed the command with little protest.

Once the ship and escorts got to the area they boarded the ship and took Zaide under arrest. The court martial was postponed until autopsies could be done on the bodies of the seven ships. 20 were found, none carried a virus. The only reason he is still in the Navy with any command is because of his brother, holds a lot of weight with the Vrec'Sevi Navy and Huslan government. Zaide was posted to the Liege as punishment, and demoted to Commander. He is ashamed of this punishment, But if asked about the ordeal he would say he would do it again.

Extra info:  The pistol is an old Ballistic- Energy hybrid that shoots charged rounds. It's been modified for in ship combat to reduce the risk of punching a hole through the ship. When activated the weapon's clip, and under barrel glow blue. The under barrel is a self charging unit that uses the cocking action of the pistol to recharge itself like a generator, never more then enough to fire the next bullet. The Charge gives it enough power to Pierce most personal shield units, or can be over charged to create a temporary EMP effect upon impact rendering something, or a group of somthings, useless for thirty or so seconds.

Gary Stargazer

I think I'm gonna pass, reading over the last few pages there seems to be a lot of conflict of interest and unnecessary angst amongst people, I don't want to be in an environment of arguing and bickering so I'm going to politely retract my request.

Thank you for the consideration though, I do appreciate it.

Tick

I do have to agree that while we are trying to fit a certain setting, just remember this is all for fun and to take anything said as an attempt to just keep things clean and in the same state. And when making a comment on another person's bio, be polite about it.

But beyond that, most the bios I have seen are pretty good with a few little things here and there but I am not that much of a stickler. I would like to start Saturday, so if everyone could post their bios in the thread linked in the OP who still wishes to play, then I will make the first post on Saturday. We will be starting a few minutes before the jump and really beginning after. So basically, "There is no way we are going to win, punch it. oh shit what happened?" So if you wanna try to figure out what you are going to put in your opening post, go ahead and start thinking about it.

I have liked every single bio so far, just a few little concerns, so I hope no one has felt unwanted thus far. Once we start we are all going to "start" in the bridge(you all won't be in the bridge, but the start of the game will be inside the bridge thread. Then we might break up as needed), but since I am rather sure there are around six to seven of us, we might, or might not split into different threads for a bit to reduce wait time. Such as "Hangar" "bridge" "Medical bay"

I looke forward to rping with you all.

TheGlyphstone

Apology accepted.

Quote from: Cold Heritage on December 15, 2011, 10:24:10 PM

As for having no weaknesses, you are right. I did not give the some overt condition by which he can be specially disabled. Exposing him to a chunk of an allegedly rare but in practice ubiquitous green rock will not rob him of his ability to point a gun at someone's face. Damage Type Y will not be doubled against him and ignore all defenses. You cannot wave a stick at his face and have a text bubble pop up saying "You used stick! It's super effective!" and John keels over. The character having a previous personality buried deeply in his subconscious is not something I would describe as a weakness. There's a lot of things that John cannot do, or cannot do well, but that's hardly any kind of weakness.

There are more weaknesses than Kryptonite Analogues, though. To throw things out there from existing characters:
-the physical only-description of Tick's Captain character is someone repeatedly wounded in the line of duty, and obviously not in good shape anymore. Her still being in Naval service instead of taking retirement, and being posted on an obsolete junker ship to boot, suggests someone who's too prideful or stubborn for her own good and probably won't know when to back down or give up. That could be a huge problem, as she is the Captain of the entire ship.
-Someguy's Marine is powerful, but young and inexperienced, and suffers from a racial-inherent tendency towards glory-hounding. That could get him in over his head in dangerous situations, and depending on how he treats less resilient people, less support for getting him out of those issues. No one likes the arrogant hothead team member, and team cohesion is crucial when you're all on your own without support.
-Ghost's pilot isn't overtly physically or mentally flawed, but comes with some powerful cultural stereotypes, and is in a completely unfamiliar situation being involuntarily given command over a rabble of total strangers. The Liege needs its fighters to defend against threats its cannon batteries can't hit, and if said fighter wing is torn apart by dissent and distrust between its pilots and commander, we're all screwed.
-I don't know enough about Destiny's character to comment.
-My engineer's a mechanical genius...but he's also an antisocial wretch and a raging alcoholic. What happens to him, and by extension, the Engineering department in general, when the booze runs low?
-Rabbit's XO is on the Liege because he unconditionally genocided seven ships full of refugees instinctively and somewhat irrationally. And he's second in command - should the captain be incapacitated, we have an extremist and potentially unstable officer in charge.

Johnny Walker, on the other hand, doesn't really have any flaws, let alone weaknesses - no room for character growth or development other than 'hes a badass with amnesia'. You spend the entire character bio describing how awesome his gear, enhancements, and combat record is, but we know literally nothing about John himself. You're looking at this more like a video game where we have 'The Techie', 'The Combat Monkey', 'The Pilot', but characters need to be defined by more than what they can and can't do. If you do stick around, I could see one very easy way to 'humanize' him in a way that would bring him down a few power grades and open up some interesting character arcs, but that's your option first.

Destiny Ascension

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 16, 2011, 06:16:25 AM-I don't know enough about Destiny's character to comment.

I'm feeling as though I should be offended you didn't nitpick my character. So... sad face...

:(

DOUBLE SADFACE!

:(

Anyways, on a serious note, I can make my character more... misfit-ish if thats the focus of the game, I've no problem with that, but my intention on making her more 'professional' is the same dynamic of Sarge from BAd Company/2, a serious military type surrounded by screw ups, wash outs and, well, misfits, would be a fun dynamic, but I can make her an alcoholic or something else fun just as easily.

And now happy face...

:D

TheGlyphstone

Sure, but then it becomes a contest between you and Ghost to see who can be the best Sarge. ;D And your bio's a lot bigger than when I first looked at it (unless I've got you confused with someone else).

If you want to play the professional angle in a different direction, it could be fun to play (and to watch) to be the competent person who doesn't just think they're competent, but thinks they're the best in the universe. It'd take a bit of backstory tweaking, but add a wealthy+privileged background (or just powerful family connections) to get her into the naval academy and a top-honors graduate despite actually being only moderately qualified, coddled by teachers and superiors to leave her with an over-inflated sense of skill, then assigned to a 'prestigious' posting guarding a top-secret research facility, and you've got all the ingredients for the stereotypical rich ditz who gets hit with a major reality check when actual combat doesn't turn out to be anything like simulations and her family's not around to ensure the scores turn out in her favor.

EDIT: Actually, looking at what you've written, it wouldn't be tweaking so much as a total backstory transplant. Never mind, unless you like the idea anyways - not my place to write a character for you.

EDIT EDIT: Or somewhere on the line between those. Keep her existing personality and history, but as the child of two famous, decorated, and well-connected veterans, with lots of unspoken pressure to live up to her family legacy. Just a hint of an inferiority complex, the constant little naggling worry that she'll let down her comrades or the entire Navy at some crucial moment, pushing her towards challenging herself with complex tasks and requesting transfers to difficult assignments. And what could be more stressful than feeling the weight of keeping an entire ship alive despite the obvious incompetence of its entire complement in a dangerous situation?

Destiny Ascension

Hmm, I actually like that double edit idea.

Nobody mind the 'edited' part of my character bio.  ::)

Ghostraven

I'll have my sheet added tot he character thread a little later today. I'll add some additional detail as well; and I'll have to got read up on 'Sarge' from Bad Company/2.  :P

TTYL

Ghostraven

RabbitJanitor

Quote-Rabbit's XO is on the Liege because he unconditionally genocided seven ships full of refugees instinctively and somewhat irrationally. And he's second in command - should the captain be incapacitated, we have an extremist and potentially unstable officer in charge.

I wouldn't say Extremest, but slightly unstable yes. He's lost a lot of his edge he used to have.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: RabbitJanitor on December 16, 2011, 11:44:34 AM
I wouldn't say Extremest, but slightly unstable yes. He's lost a lot of his edge he used to have.

Maybe extremist was a bad word, but 'extreme pragmatist'. "Sacrifice the few for the good of the many" is a great idea right up until you're one of the few who are getting sacrificed, particularly if it's another "just to be sure" situation rather than a true one-or-the-other choice.

RabbitJanitor

QuoteMaybe extremist was a bad word, but 'extreme pragmatist'. "Sacrifice the few for the good of the many" is a great idea right up until you're one of the few who are getting sacrificed, particularly if it's another "just to be sure" situation rather than a true one-or-the-other choice.

I would agree entirely.

Tick

Starting thread is up,

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=127113.0

It is in the Bridge but I want everyone to post here first and if you want to play with someone in particular in a specific location, let me know and I will make the thread and add it to the OP of this thread