D&D 3.5 Swordhaven

Started by RubySlippers, September 16, 2007, 05:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Swordhaven, freeport and city in the Archepelgos of Mists a land of mystery with hidden pirate communities, secret tribes, fell creatures and the hidden enclaves of elven folk and other races.

Swordhaven is well named a place of civilization in inhospitable land sporting what in most areas would be just a large town. But it has a secure deep port, walls, the strongest non-elven magical power base in the region and an aggressive navy funded by the wealthy Council of Swords (merchants and retired adventurers all) is the center of commerce. Its a place where adventure is aplenty and a brave and daring adventurer with steel and magic could make his or her mark. Or die a horrible fate its seeking.

Characters would be rolled (4d6 drop the lowest die, no re-rolling 1's) and start at Level 2, maximum hit points for Level 1 then rolled. Standard core books only the PHB1 and no prestige classes or material outside that. Period. Don't ask. No evil characters. Humans are the standard race but halflings are common enough, dwarves, gnomes and elves are quite uncommon but some do live in Swordhaven. Half orcs are more common than half-elves among the mixed races. If you not a human, halfling or half-race you must have a decent reason for being in the city.

DO NOT send any characters am looking for interest only at this point.

Jeramiahh

As I've said for the last... what, now, 8, 9 games I've joined, I really don't need a new one, but... this sounds very tempting.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Tom

RubySlippers

That is one confirmed and one maybe.

A little about the game world its a huge island chain the area around Swordhaven is known as the Silver Triangle a region with Swordhaven in the center on a large granite island with good elevation, a deep port, the Undertown (sort of a sewer meets cryopt meets well whatever lives in there).

To the North is the only known Elven Enclave called Silverforest home of silvery leaved trees whose magic aids druids (adds +1 to spell levels and +4 to the DC of spells when cast, are not cheap either) and the Elven Court. Its the likely most magically warded place around and sports a fine fleet for its size.

To the West is Ironhome a huge mountain island and home to dwarves, gnomes and some humans.

To the East is the Dragon Spires a group of islands home to several good dragons, the Merfolk below the water with a Sea Elven Enclave and rich farming lands where humans and halflings live with several groups of gnomes. Its secure and home to Druids that keep the crops fertile and plentiful. Is a major trading partner of Swordhaven.

Generally its in a secure area and forms a united front.

To the North of that are many islands mostly home to human tribes (barbarians), enclaves of elven folk, some other races and many pirate bases. They raid into the nearby Golden Empire Trading Routes and also gather slaves from human tribes and groups not so well protected.

To the NW are the Black Islands a region home to large numbers of humanoids, evil humans, some evil dragons and the outlawed Undead Temple that left the Swordhaven over a century ago after a major conflict. So they have undead all over as well- fortunately mostly weak undead. Pirates avoid that place generally unless really bloodthirsty and generally they cause a mess for the rest of the Archipelegos (they avoid for now the Silver Triangle). And raids and other incursions do happen when the population problem presents itself and the black sailed fleets (mostly poorly built troop carriers) leave to seek new land.

Add to this lost ruines, forgotten temples, hidden tribes, lost tribes and hidden centers of evil and its one big place to adventure in.

RubySlippers

Still recruiting. I have one commited player it looks like and one maybe. Don't let that its a little basic in the rules scare you off no NPC is any different.

Hunter

It's the dice rolling thing that scares me off.  Dice hate me.   :'(

That and it's a low level game.

Pixel Pixie

Hi, this is my first post non-Introduction-wise, I'm a total n00b.
This game sounds interesting, what do I need to know to play?

RubySlippers

Quote from: Hunter on September 23, 2007, 02:48:45 PM
It's the dice rolling thing that scares me off.  Dice hate me.   :'(

That and it's a low level game.

Well you have tostart somewhere great heros are made not just pop into existance.

Anyway the first batch of adventures for the game are designed for characters at low level.

Elder

Hi, I am also new and really not sure what to do to start getting into a game, this does however sound interesting.

Let me know what I need to do.

Elder

RubySlippers

Well three are enough I will request a board and one where I can place several threads for different areas.

I'll let everyone know when its up. Don't worry you won't be facing dragons right off the bat. Unless you ant to.... lol

Elvi

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Xillen

Are you still looking for players? I love D&D, especially low-level.

Lanzlo

Same here. Color me interested.

Zephraim

Another definitely interested!  Wheee!
If only I had as much fun at my work as I work at my fun....

Elder

Let's hope the extra interest will start things off, I have been waiting for this.

Elder

CaptainErotica

I'm interested in this one too. what classes are you short on?

RubySlippers

Ok I made this campaign setting four years ago under the old basic dnd system the red and blue booklet sets, so converting it to 3.5 could take forever. My only easy option since the mechanics are simpler is to use the Basic Fantasy RPG or to the fans of the system "DnD-Lite and Old School". It may take a little work but is doable since mechanically there are four races and four classes plus the elven fighter/magic-user. With some of the optional rules that have been developed. So the conversion is mostly as needed.

If your willing to and there will be some minor house rules the game rules are free to look at at www.basicfantasy.org, specifically I'll be using the core rules and the optional combat rules with maybe the secondary skills. The other classes are at my discretion.

Xillen

I don't mind learning different systems. I'll have a look at the rulebooks, but count me in, if you have a spot.

RubySlippers

Its very much DnD they can't advertise that becasue of the copyrights but if you took basic and took this system its damned close in most ways. With some more modern touches for ease of play. The main rules are the key the optional posted material I'm using the combat rules for sure. secondary skills maybe, classes are up to me if they are worked out enough. The basic classes and races are fine.

Zephraim

I don't have them, but I'm familiar with the old Basic and Expanded D&D game.  I'm still interested.
If only I had as much fun at my work as I work at my fun....

RubySlippers

The rules are free so getting them should be easy at least for reference. In fact you need just the first 40 pages or so that has all the character information. Link: www.basicfantasy.org

The game was inspired by the early game of DnD it isn't the early game of DnD but adds mechanics that are more common now in simple ways. Like armor class and attack mechanics are more like 3rd edition.

Muse

Raises hand. 

If it's your game, Ruby-chan, I'd give it a try. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

RubySlippers

I'll see about a game location so who do I talk to here about that?

Xillen

If I understand correctly, you can just start a few threads on one of the small story boards. One IC, one OOC and one Char thread would do I guess?

Elvi

It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building