GM Lounge - Bartenders Answer All Your Questions

Started by HockeyGod, January 02, 2012, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

Quote from: Moraline on May 03, 2013, 11:11:41 AM
That would all depend heavily on the games and the systems(if any) being used. Which is why I asked in general. Just sorta looking for some feedback.  However, mostly the question pertains to Forum Roleplay here on Elliquiy not so much on tabletop gaming.

Mostly here on E even if a system is being used there's a lot more writing then system playing going on. I have found some of what the others mentioned about players losing track of characters (posting for one but not the other.) I've also seen where it's been a benefit to have multiple characters because if a player has to wait long periods for someone to post it gives them something to do (keeps them engaged in the game.)

Just speaking generally now to anyone reading...

In my past when I've played on other forums and even ran games myself, we never allowed players to have more then one character in a single campaign setting. It was usually a standard rule. The only exceptions to those were co-gm's.

To go even further, I used to run several RP forums(no sexual content) and I only allowed each member of my forum to have one character at a time. Now the forums were different then this one. Each forum was a single "World" and it would contain multiple ongoing campaigns/story lines.

An interesting point about that = We never had to wait a week for someone to post. Sometimes we'd get 5-10 posts from a single character in a single campaign each night (posts would be a couple paragraph's in length) and were a back and forth between groups of usually up to about 5 players. So total post count in a single campaign thread for an evening could be as high as 50 sometimes. It was pretty standard to get a thousand posts in a single thread in just a few weeks. The quality of posts and players was always excellent. (Although we didn't have a lot of those really large 5 paragraph or longer type posts. I know some people love the novel length descriptive posts. So, that's a drawback for some players.)

More importantly, I found when each member of the forum only had a single character they were more actively engaged in both their characters and the ongoing stories. They were also more inclined to post back and forth with other players rapidly. The biggest draw back was the attachment level to some characters, although the emotional investment also made for more robust character development.

Anyone else have a similar experience with only allowing 1 character per game? (Where the players were more engaged and invested in their characters and stories.)

I used to have the one character per game, but it caused some issues. Some people had real life issues and as such had to put their character on hold or such. If that character was central to another character it affected the other player. I then opened up to more than one character so that they could essentially keep going in the game while waiting. I imagine there are other ways to accomplish this - such as coming up with a logical storyline for the character, but it just got easier to create characters.

I would love to run a game where everyone was 100% invested in the game and posted at least every other day. I just am not sure how to accomplish this. Even the most creative games seem to get slumps.

Moraline

Quote from: alxnjsh on May 06, 2013, 10:43:26 AM
I used to have the one character per game, but it caused some issues. Some people had real life issues and as such had to put their character on hold or such. If that character was central to another character it affected the other player. I then opened up to more than one character so that they could essentially keep going in the game while waiting. I imagine there are other ways to accomplish this - such as coming up with a logical storyline for the character, but it just got easier to create characters.

I would love to run a game where everyone was 100% invested in the game and posted at least every other day. I just am not sure how to accomplish this. Even the most creative games seem to get slumps.
I know what you mean about getting people 100% invested (or at least dedicated enough to post that frequently.) It doesn't seem to happen a lot here.  I guess one of the big benefits I had was that when I created my other forums they were dedicated to MMORPG's (pre-launch) so people were excited about the game and already eager to invest time. So we played with daily posts for months and months at a time before game launch (I assume the forums died at game launch or close to it - I don't know because after running them for over a year I handed them over to someone else.)

As for the "player not posting" and holding up the game. This is a reason why any game I've ever created there was a stipulation that if a player didn't post after X amount of time, I would NPC their character out of the scene (or out of game if needed.)

However, I also see that if you have a mix group of rapid posters and slow posters it's easier to just let the fast posters have multiple characters.

For a one player = one character game:

I think my ideal posting situation would be a minimum 4-5 days per week (Minimum 1x per day). That way people can take a few days off and are only required to post once on each of those days. Giving them freedom to work on other projects/RP's if desired. However, the posting regimen would be strict enough to keep participation/activity high. (Coupled with the stipulation that if a player/character doesn't post after 3 days they get NPC'd out of the scene. Also if no posts after a week they get NPC'd out of the game - unless a PM/post is received stating that they will be away for some reason or another.)

I almost would like to try an experiment with a higher minimum # post limit just to see if I could actually get people to play it - see if there's interest in that sort of thing.

Cyrano Johnson

In discussions about posting here, I've noticed a fair number of people who describe agonizing over their posts and being very nervous about their reception, esp. (but not solely) in erotic role play which has a rather more "personal" aspect to it than most other forms of RP. I suspect a part of the slowdown in posting on E happens because of this factor, and because there is no mechanism in most games for speeding up mundane exchanges (like meetings and conversations), which are often played out in laborious series of separate posts by each participant. (That's why my own experiment proposes a specialized "planning thread" where people can rough out their ideas for character interaction in a scene without having to work up separate posts describing it all. Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot...)
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Moraline

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on May 06, 2013, 01:55:25 PM
In discussions about posting here, I've noticed a fair number of people who describe agonizing over their posts and being very nervous about their reception, esp. (but not solely) in erotic role play which has a rather more "personal" aspect to it than most other forms of RP. I suspect a part of the slowdown in posting on E happens because of this factor, and because there is no mechanism in most games for speeding up mundane exchanges (like meetings and conversations), which are often played out in laborious series of separate posts by each participant. (That's why my own experiment proposes a specialized "planning thread" where people can rough out their ideas for character interaction in a scene without having to work up separate posts describing it all. Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot...)
It's an interesting idea about having a planning thread. I think a lot of architect/structured writer's might enjoy it.
I could never get behind it personally because I am a gardener/discovery writer myself. I prefer to just let the posts flow and often don't know what I'm going to write until I actually put the words on the page.

I also have my suspicions that gardener/discovery writer's like myself have an easier time with high post counts. When you don't have to think about what you're going to write until you start to write it, it's easier to get the posts out.

Roxy Rocket

I've noticed a fair number of people who describe agonizing over their posts... in erotic role play which has a rather more "personal" aspect to it than most other forms of RP.

Huh. I would have thought it worked the other way: Sex turns off brain, brain stops saying "Don't say that or the wolves of algebra class will come for you" and you post more words quicker and with more flair.

Quote from: Moraline on May 06, 2013, 02:24:02 PM
... I am a gardener/discovery writer myself. I prefer to just let the posts flow and often don't know what I'm going to write until I actually put the words on the page...

I also have my suspicions that gardener/discovery writer's like myself have an easier time with high post counts. When you don't have to think about what you're going to write until you start to write it, it's easier to get the posts out.

That sounds familiar: putting words on the page is digging stuff out of the school sandbox.

I think you should have structure and your reflexes working together, but that's another topic. I guess the question is how to keep the story and characters alive for the group. The best way I know how to do that is to keep posting. If you're telling yourself the story you'll have things to post and if you're posting all the time it'll be easier to keep finding the story and telling it to yourself.

I think. Maybe. Perhaps-ola. Ahem.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 06, 2013, 03:35:30 PMHuh. I would have thought it worked the other way: Sex turns off brain, brain stops saying "Don't say that or the wolves of algebra class will come for you" and you post more words quicker and with more flair.

I think for some, the prospect of performing for others -- which in a sense is what RPing is -- brings up a lot of anxiety. It may be that some spend so much time trying to be perfect that "the perfect becomes the enemy of the good," as the saying goes.

Moraline

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on May 06, 2013, 03:42:34 PM
I think for some, the prospect of performing for others -- which in a sense is what RPing is -- brings up a lot of anxiety. It may be that some spend so much time trying to be perfect that "the perfect becomes the enemy of the good," as the saying goes.
I agree with this. Sometimes people are afraid they are going to say something "goofy" or have something "misunderstood."  (Left foot, red circle, tongue on blue.) Sometimes people just prefer to be more private with their intimacies.

Quote from: Roxy Rocket on May 06, 2013, 03:35:30 PM
...      That sounds familiar: putting words on the page is digging stuff out of the school sandbox.

I think you should have structure and your reflexes working together, but that's another topic. I guess the question is how to keep the story and characters alive for the group. The best way I know how to do that is to keep posting. If you're telling yourself the story you'll have things to post and if you're posting all the time it'll be easier to keep finding the story and telling it to yourself.

I think. Maybe. Perhaps-ola. Ahem.
Again that really depends on peoples preferred writing styles. No one is a strictly structured or discovery writer, we all mix and match elements to suit our personal styles.

Just for me personally, I like to discover what I'm going to do as I write. I sometimes have a vague idea of what I'm planning on but that can change at any minute. I greatly dislike planning it out ahead, because for me personally, most of the fun of a writing partner is not knowing what's coming next.

HairyHeretic

Just a little head's up which I think will interest some folks here. We should apparently be seeing the Exalted 3rd ed kickstarter in the next week or so.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Thufir Hawat

Yes, I strongly suspect it's due to over-polishing a post, whether it needs it or not. On other forums, I've seen enough games reaching 20 posts per day to know it's possible. And even my game on E. started at about 10 posts per day. Too bad I wasn't able to keep it up.
Regarding your suggestion, I suspect it might help to have a means to determine who gets narrative rights to describe a scene after the players have agreed on a rough outline.

Quote from: Moraline on May 06, 2013, 02:24:02 PM
It's an interesting idea about having a planning thread. I think a lot of architect/structured writer's might enjoy it.
I could never get behind it personally because I am a gardener/discovery writer myself. I prefer to just let the posts flow and often don't know what I'm going to write until I actually put the words on the page.

There is probably something about this, as I can confirm that when I started experimenting with "gardener" approach, I began writing much more. But I'm positive that structured writers would be able to make the same post count, as long as there is already an agreed-upon structure. And of course, experience also helps ;D!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Roxy Rocket

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on May 06, 2013, 03:42:34 PM

Ah. Huh. I kinda like showing off, especially fer meself, so that'd make sense.

*puts on her Mrs. Obvious nametag*

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on May 06, 2013, 04:02:53 PMRegarding your suggestion, I suspect it might help to have a means to determine who gets narrative rights to describe a scene after the players have agreed on a rough outline.

Great minds think alike, friend Thufir! Just the thing I had mind.  XD

Moraline

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on May 06, 2013, 04:02:53 PM
.... But I'm positive that structured writers would be able to make the same post count, as long as there is already an agreed-upon structure. And of course, experience also helps ;D!
You are 100% right on this. Some structured writer's are also very fast writer's once they have a plan in place.

I'm certainly not a fast discovery writer as I tend to write it then I have to rewrite it because I'm a bit dyslexic and need to make it intelligible for others to read. So even spontaneous discovery writers can be slow.

Chrystal

Okay, I have a weird sort of question...

I recently posted a recruitment thread for a girls-only RP, entitled "Prison Planet: Hell Frozen Over". Now, I am very much into fair play and equality. The idea I have is such a good one (I think), that I would love to share it with the guys too, and the girls who like to play guys.

But I wouldn't be wanting to run the boys only version, "Prison Planet: The Fires Of hell", and probably would not even want to participate.

The reason for my posting here is to ask advice:

Should I post the opener to the recruitment thread, with a clear message stating that a GM is needed? Should I post in the "Looking for a Co-GM" thread? Or should i post the opener in "World building" with a note that it is available to GM?

I already have a friend who would be interested in playing but isn't much for GMing.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

HockeyGod

I think, Chrystal, you can do all of the above.

Chrystal

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on May 06, 2013, 04:16:26 PM
Great minds think alike, friend Thufir! Just the thing I had mind.  XD
You, me, and the many, many indie games out there can't be wrong :P!

Quote from: Moraline on May 06, 2013, 04:18:25 PM
You are 100% right on this. Some structured writer's are also very fast writer's once they have a plan in place.

I'm certainly not a fast discovery writer as I tend to write it then I have to rewrite it because I'm a bit dyslexic and need to make it intelligible for others to read. So even spontaneous discovery writers can be slow.
Glad we're in agreement here. BTW, it's interesting how this maps to "scripted" and "sandbox" GMing, and whether the GM influences the speed of posting, but I think we've got insufficient data for this.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

HairyHeretic

So, the Exalted kickstarter went live today. They were looking $60,000, with an initial stretch goal of $70k.

It was funded in 18 minutes.

Currently, at about the 3 hour mark, they're almost at $150k.

I've not paid much attention to any other kickstarters, but that looks damned impressive to me. I think I'm probably going to pledge on this one. Exalted is one of my favourite games.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thufir Hawat

Exalted is one of my favourite settings, too, so I'm likely to pledge as well :P.
It's not one of my favourite games because the systems it used so far, frankly, sucked. This is as close to indisputable fact as it gets in RPGs, since even something the current developers had acknowledged it ;D! And a game consists of both setting and system.
However, I keep my hopes! I and many other people have successfully adapted other systems to the setting, so I'm sure the current developers can make something that would work and be fun >:)!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 09, 2013, 02:08:09 PM
So, the Exalted kickstarter went live today. They were looking $60,000, with an initial stretch goal of $70k.

It was funded in 18 minutes.

Currently, at about the 3 hour mark, they're almost at $150k.

I've not paid much attention to any other kickstarters, but that looks damned impressive to me. I think I'm probably going to pledge on this one. Exalted is one of my favourite games.

Are the Ink Monkeys involved?

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

meikle

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 10, 2013, 01:33:05 PM
Don't know. You could probably ask them though.
Two of the people who used to make up the Ink Monkeys are now the lead developer and co-developer for Exalted, so less "involved" and more "running everything."
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chrystal

Soooo.....

My idea for doing Kelly's Heroes didn't go anywhere.

Still got a couple of group games going, but I wjust had this really weird idea and i was wondering if anyone else had ever tried it....

Does anyone remember this: http://www.sjgames.com/awfulgreen/

Steve jackson Games' The Awful Green Things From Outer Space.

A classic board game from the 1970s that is still a big hit today. I have played it a few times and it's great fun. Especially when the poor sod playing the crew fires a lazer at a space with three AGTs in and gets 1 die fragments, and rolls a 6, then tries the fire extinguisher on the same space and gets the same result and the same die roll... I ran out of fragments!

Aaaaanyway....

I was thinking that it might be fun to do a group ROP called "Sexy Green Things From Outer Space". The exact same rules apply, but instead of being killed, the crew get raped and impregnated by the AGTs....

Does anyone think such a game has a cat in hell's chance of getting off the ground?

Ebb

Quote from: Chrystal on May 20, 2013, 04:57:52 PM
Soooo.....

My idea for doing Kelly's Heroes didn't go anywhere.

Still got a couple of group games going, but I wjust had this really weird idea and i was wondering if anyone else had ever tried it....

Does anyone remember this: http://www.sjgames.com/awfulgreen/

Steve jackson Games' The Awful Green Things From Outer Space.

A classic board game from the 1970s that is still a big hit today. I have played it a few times and it's great fun. Especially when the poor sod playing the crew fires a lazer at a space with three AGTs in and gets 1 die fragments, and rolls a 6, then tries the fire extinguisher on the same space and gets the same result and the same die roll... I ran out of fragments!

Aaaaanyway....

I was thinking that it might be fun to do a group ROP called "Sexy Green Things From Outer Space". The exact same rules apply, but instead of being killed, the crew get raped and impregnated by the AGTs....

Does anyone think such a game has a cat in hell's chance of getting off the ground?

I almost gave you an applause post just for that reference in the other thread. My favorite Tom Wham game.

I'd give it a shot, though I'm not sure how well the boardgame mechanics would map over to forum posts. But what the heck.

You could add a rule that if a good guy gets killed   um... totally sexified by the green things then they turn into one, so they can still participate in the game from the other side. Except for the poor robot. Weep for the poor robot.

HockeyGod

*changes the empty toilet paper rolls in the bathroom*

I imagine that's why no one has been around the bar for awhile.