Religulous

Started by Mathim, September 26, 2009, 05:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

Oniya

It's the Order of the White Lotus:  All old people know each other.   ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Science is a Sacred Cow (I've taken that term by the way)

Greed supersedes any religious scruple ever conceived.

And all mathematics are based on an arbitrary standard devised by mathematicians.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Will

Quote from: Inkidu on September 28, 2009, 10:35:15 PM
And all mathematics are based on an arbitrary standard devised by mathematicians.

Does that make it less useful?
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on September 28, 2009, 10:35:15 PM

Wir Mathematiker sind alle ein biszchen meschugge.
(We mathematicans are all a bit crazy).
  -- Lev Landau
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Will1984 on September 29, 2009, 08:17:26 AM
Does that make it less useful?
No but you have to believe in it now.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 29, 2009, 08:20:41 AM
Wir Mathematiker sind alle ein biszchen meschugge.
(We mathematicans are all a bit crazy).
  -- Lev Landau
I can believe that. Lewis Carol was a mathematician and wrote Alice's Adventures in Wonderland because he wanted to devise a world that made no logical sense so it stuck in the craw of his mathematician friends.

So sorry druggies, it's not about drugs.

Revolverman

Quote from: Inkidu on September 29, 2009, 08:24:49 AM
I can believe that. Lewis Carol was a mathematician and wrote Alice's Adventures in Wonderland because he wanted to devise a world that made no logical sense so it stuck in the craw of his mathematician friends.

That's hilarious.

Kathadon

I forget where I heard this but it is true to me.

A old Mongol warrior asked a Taoist monk to write what is heaven for him.

The monk wrote:

Father dies,
Son dies.

The warrior grew angry and asked. "How can that be heaven? You wrote the character for death twice. So tell me then what is hell?"

Son dies,
Father dies.

The monk smiles and spreads his hands saying, "The only thing man leaves the world is the legacy of his children. Teach them well. Whatever comes afterward is not relevant."

Now if everyone that believes in faith would just live by this instead of following a set of rules penned by old men a thousand years ago the world would be better place.
My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on September 29, 2009, 08:24:49 AM

Yeah...no narcotic substances were used or referenced in the making of this novel whatsoever. Riiight.

Only lots of spatial proportion issues and mushrooms, caterpillars smoking hookahs, etc.

Shit, even Carl Sagan was a pot smoker.

Jude

Okay, first of all, the saying "Bill Maher is a comedian" is not a good way of sweeping his opinions and statements aside.  People are not one thing; he's a comedian, he hosts a talk-show on HBO, and he's a cultural critic.  Naming someone's profession as a way of writing off their opinion is more than a bit silly.

Secondly, yes, mathematics are based off of arbitrary statements called axioms, from which all theorems are derived.  But you do not have to believe those axioms are absolute truth for Mathematics have uses.  Religious systems don't have any concrete use to be derived from them even if they are true beyond the placebo/positive thinking effect.  Comparing religion and math in such a way is absolutely absurd.

Lastly, Religulous is nothing special.  It says the same things that agnostics and atheists have been saying for years in a form that is more palatable to the average person who doesn't naturally question religious beliefs.  Nothing stated in his documentary is new, communicated in some excellent way, or particularly funny even in my opinion.  I've been a part of the skeptical movement for several years now and I don't see how Religulous is even that much different from Penn & Teller Bullshit's episode on the bible.  If anything I didn't like it as much as other skeptical works on religion.