World of Darkness (Contemporary Supernatural) System RP Ongoing Game

Started by Caliban, March 15, 2010, 09:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliban

I'm running several "system-based" (or "tabletop-style") roleplaying games on the chat; this invitation is for a contemporary supernatural/horror chronicle.  (My others are a fantasy game called "Shadows of Terramar" and an on-hiatus steampunk story known as Perfidious Albion.) The style/genre that I'm aspiring to is the sort of supernatural fiction which Neil Gaiman did in The Sandman and most of his other works, and Mike Carey did in Lucifer.

We currently play on IRC (on Sorcery.net) rather than face-to-face. Our channels are #PulpScriptureOOC (for OOC conversation) and #PulpScripture (for the primary IC scene). Of course we also create other channels for any additional scenes that occur. We have scheduled sessions (with a Storyteller available) on Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 10pm to 5am GMT (5pm to midnight Eastern Time) but players are welcome to play scenes on their own at any time.

Here is the implicit "contract" I feel I have with my players in every roleplaying game I run, regardless of the rule system or setting (and also what I expect to have with the gamemaster when I play): You may play freely in the game including all actions however you wish, within the limits of the rules system and the genre/setting, and be treated with respect, as long as you treat me with respect as well.

We encourage people play whatever type of character they want, as long as it doesn't interfere with the story by either being very unbalanced or by being inappropriate for the genre/setting/style.

Characters can be either humans or supernatural creatures -- almost any character that would be appropriate in a contemporary supernatural/horror story.

I always ask people to play whatever character they will enjoy the most, and I am fine with people bringing in existing characters within reasonable limits.

I am using White Wolf Games' "World of Darkness" setting -- the original one, not the new one.  If you're not familiar with the rules, that's fine -- we have plenty of other neophyte players, and we are very newcomer-friendly.  You can start with a very simple character (such as an ordinary human or a just-changed vampire or werewolf) that will grow and develop.

If you are familiar with the game, that's fine; we have many experienced players and you'll be able to catch all the subtle details of our plots, and the political maneuverings between the elder vampires in Elysium.

If you are interested in participating, please contact me via PM or IM or IRC and feel free to send me a proposed character sheet.  If you can't contact me any other way (e.g. you are not an approved member yet, or just unlucky) please post a reply on this thread.  You can find a character "template" (for garou, but easily adapted for other characters) here and a more detailed one here.

We emphasize roleplaying and storytelling rather than combat. Here is a Camarilla-style description of the chronicle's style of play:

Action = Combat and Challenges                                           Sometimes present/Minimal (usually player-introduced)
Character Development = Personal dilemmas and choices              Often present/Occasional
Darkness = PC death or corruption                                        Sometimes present/Minimal (usually player-introduced)
Drama = Ceremony and grand story                                        Always present/Focus of the Game
Intrigue = Politics and negotiation                                        Often present/Occasional
Manners = Social etiquette and peer pressure                           Always present/Focus of the Game
Mystery   = Enigmas and investigation                                   Usually present/Consistent (available every game)

"All jocks think about is sports.  All nerds think about is sex." Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve is the girl for me.
"Take off your clothes.  And roll for initiative." I burn for you: I Cor. 7:9
System RP: Shadows of Terramar (d20 fantasy) * Pulp Scripture (WoD contemporary supernatural) * Perfidious Albion (GURPS steampunk)
Do the rocks in my head fit the holes in yours? --> Oohs and Ahhs
Meae Culpae (A&A)

stormsfury

I can bring either Storm the Lupus Fianna Theurge or Khadeeja the Mokole Eclipsed Sun born as a Nile Croc. Either is fine with me, I'm easy to get along with. If you've no preference, then I'll toss it about and decide.

Will this stay PG-13, by that I am referring to the tone of battle, because I most certainly enjoy graphic battle. My other WoD Rp is 18+, but that has more to do with language and violence than sex, though that happens as well from time to time. So curious as to whether this will stay on the Non-Adult Board.

Caliban

Stormsfury: Please check out the information about the garou venue including the "detailed character template" and post your character information in that thread or this.  Another theurge will fit well with the mystical and mystery-oriented tone of the chronicle, a Fianna would be wonderful (and could have connections with the Fae), and South Florida is one of the few places where Mokole actually make sense in canon but let's hold off on that for now.
"All jocks think about is sports.  All nerds think about is sex." Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve is the girl for me.
"Take off your clothes.  And roll for initiative." I burn for you: I Cor. 7:9
System RP: Shadows of Terramar (d20 fantasy) * Pulp Scripture (WoD contemporary supernatural) * Perfidious Albion (GURPS steampunk)
Do the rocks in my head fit the holes in yours? --> Oohs and Ahhs
Meae Culpae (A&A)

stormsfury

Okay, after reading all that, Storm herself wouldn't fit in with the RP because I can't find a good enough reason for her to up and leave the Sept to head down to South Florida. I've another Garou who is also a Fianna Theurge and whom I haven't used much, so let me see if I can find her character sheet and translate it to the template you have here. Might take me until later today.

stormsfury

Do you all RP all the days listed on the run down of the RP, cause I can't make those days with definite certainty in a CR. That's the main reason why I do forum based RP is because there is flexibility with times when I can post. I am usually not around on weekends, though I am on occasion. *kicks things and mutters* I really want a WoD RP that has some substance to it, but I don't want to join your RP and then not be reliable for Chat room based RPness. Let me know how the flexibility is with that and I'll make a final decision from there.