News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Relationship Books/Advice

Started by persephone325, September 24, 2022, 06:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

So, I'm in need of relationship advice. I didn't want just ladies' advice, hence why I'm posting this here. (But if this needs to be moved to a different section, please do so.)

Anyway, I'm in a relationship with my boyfriend. We've been together since about 2019. We met over the internet, so the relationship is long distance for now. We've met in person quite a few times, too. I think we're both each other's first serious relationship, and he's really used to being a very independent person. That's pretty much the backstory.

What I'm looking for is any kind of advice or book recommendation for me/us - specifically about being in a relationship with someone who believes they might have a minor form of autism, and also being in a relationship with someone who thinks they might be asexual. My boyfriend thinks he has both of those things. (Don't know how else to phrase that, so I'm sorry if that statement came across as insensitive to people who have autism, or are asexual. I'm an emotional mess right now. Apologies.)

I'd really appreciate any advice or recommendations. I feel like we're on different pages right now, and we need to sit down and talk to each other.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Azy

Communication is very important.  Just remember those 'I' statements.  Like when this situation happens, I feel....  It helps keep the other person from going on the defensive and just making things worse. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXrIZlQkIc

This is one of the many, many videos on YouTube from Shannon Boodram.  Someone recommended her to me as a relationship and sex expert.  I've been going through the videos trying to learn what I can.  She also wrote 2 books.  I got her second one 'The Game of Desire' on Audible for free with my free trial.  I haven't finished it yet because I haven't had a lot of time to sit and listen to an audio book, but she does give a lot of good advice.   

persephone325

Quote from: Azy on September 24, 2022, 08:38:18 PM
Communication is very important.  Just remember those 'I' statements.  Like when this situation happens, I feel....  It helps keep the other person from going on the defensive and just making things worse. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXrIZlQkIc

This is one of the many, many videos on YouTube from Shannon Boodram.  Someone recommended her to me as a relationship and sex expert.  I've been going through the videos trying to learn what I can.  She also wrote 2 books.  I got her second one 'The Game of Desire' on Audible for free with my free trial.  I haven't finished it yet because I haven't had a lot of time to sit and listen to an audio book, but she does give a lot of good advice.   

Totally thought I had replied to this. lol My apologies.

I definitely subscribed to her. I like her content. Thank you for the suggestion!
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Life in Color

Hi, Perse. <3

I have *a lot* of anecdotal experience with this.

I'll drop you a DM and we can babble. :]

persephone325

Quote from: Life in Color on December 20, 2022, 09:37:39 AM
Hi, Perse. <3

I have *a lot* of anecdotal experience with this.

I'll drop you a DM and we can babble. :]

Thank you! :-)
I don't know.