cats and dogs

Started by Serephino, August 19, 2014, 02:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

Anyone have any tips for how to get a cat used to dogs?  Especially if the dogs are super energetic and like to poke and chase?  Right now we have the cat in a dog crate and we;re letting the dogs roam around him.  He was hiding under the couch just like the other one.

BAMF

I would leave kitty there for now and go about your normal things to do and let the dog calm down. I know it took a long time for the dog here to calm down when we brought our kitty home. Eventually, he had laid down in another room and we opened the cat carrier she was in and let her come out on her own while the dog wasn't paying nearly as much attention.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Cycle

I would get her out of that carrier now.  It is making him feel trapped and he is going to be stressed and stay on high alert.  Instead, I would find a room with a door and put the new cat there.  With a litter box, scratching post, food, water, and a place to hide.  Cats need to develop a sense of safety before they can welcome others.  That requires them to have their own territory.  If you give them a room like that, it may take a few days for the kitty to feel established and come out and interact with you.

It will take time.

Once that happens though, open the door a crack and let the dog and cat sniff each other.  If they back off, let them.  If they hiss growl, close the door and try again in an hour.  Or three.  Put treats by the door when you try a second or a third time, so they associate the other creature's scent with pleasure.  Keep doing this for a few days.

It may take a week for a cat to accept a dog.  But if you go slow like this, they will really have a good chance to develop a friendship and accept each other.

Oreo

^

Very good advice!!

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

That is great advice as is the recommendation to be patient, very, very patient.

You could also give the cat a couple older towels to bed down on and in a day or two put one of them out in the room with the dog.  Then bring it back into the room with the cat.  They'll get a sense of each other from the smell and be a little more comfortable.

Serephino

Well, he found a place to hide, and we don't know where.  I have a vet appointment for him on Friday, and I'm worried we won't be able to find him by then. 

Beguile's Mistress

Leave food for him where the dog can't get at it and he'll start coming out when he's hungry.  My Gram used to say all cats should be starved one day a week so they learn to appreciate us. :-)

Serephino

My boyfriend has him on his lap again with the dogs walking around.  Kayne is hissing if the dogs get close, but remaining calm for the most part.  I'm hoping this is a good sign.  He even went nose to nose with Niko before hissing.

BAMF

Sere, I'd say so. That's about how my cat is with the dog now. She doesn't hiss anymore, but she did the first week or two. Now she just sorta runs and gets out of his way or bats at him with a paw if he gets too close. They just sorta tolerate each other now.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«