News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Looking to get into a 3.5 Eberron game [UN]

Started by Kunoichi, November 11, 2009, 12:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tagan

I'm blanking here.  You want me to get rid of Mobility and Spring attack, yet keep Whirlwind Attack.

Whirlwind Attack REQUIRES Mobility AND Spring Attack.  I'm sure I'd love to take the feats you have mentioned, but I think it will have to come later.

Katina Tarask

Whirlwind Attack just isn't worth it until you have nothing better to do with your feats due to the harsh prerequisites, nor are Mobility or Spring Attack.  However, Talashatora would be good from what I hear of it.  If you take Talashatora and Improved Natural Attack (a Monk staple) together, it gets you up to 2d6 damage before expansion.  And it really looks like Kasumi desperately needs more damage.

And Practiced Manifester wouldn't quite be enough to hit huge; it'd take Overchannel, as well, as you need to spend 7 PP to pull that off.

Mind that the +1 to whatever stat at level 4 still applies, so Kasumi's actually at a 39-point buy at the moment.

Tagan

Sigh.  I hate to min/max a character.  If I wanted to get ugly, I could have gone Changeling, Monk Warshaper with a single sorcerer lvl, and get Enlarge Person and Mighty Wallop, and do 4d6 a hit.

Would that make you happy?  If you all want me to uber out my character, I will...

Look, I'm really tired.  I've made combat monsters before, and for once, I was aiming slightly away from that.  She's more about utility, mobility, scouting, and in combat, being a portable reusable, mini-fireball.  If you think about her using Skin of the Construct to Trip and then pound 10 or 12 people all at once, and then pound the first few to get up again... with Hustle, she can move into the center of a large group.  With Mobiltiy she'll make it to the center, with Enlarge, she'll sweep the whiole bunch off their feat, with a feat from Skin of the Construct she'll either Cleave or Trip...  And being larger, she'll do 1d8+2 to each and everyone of them, and twice to the first 5 to try to rise.

If anyone has Mage Spells, one could be Mighty Wallop, or Mighty Wallop Greater... cast it on her foot.  Then she'll do 2d6 or 3d6 each...

Not everything is about combat though.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Tagan on November 25, 2009, 02:30:28 PM
I'm blanking here.  You want me to get rid of Mobility and Spring attack, yet keep Whirlwind Attack.

Whirlwind Attack REQUIRES Mobility AND Spring Attack.  I'm sure I'd love to take the feats you have mentioned, but I think it will have to come later.

Oops, my bad. In that case, following Tarrasque's advice would probably be best, I had forgotten about Imp. Natural Attack...I'd suggest the following:
-Dodge, replace it with Improved Natural Attack.
-Combat Reflexes, replace it with Monastic Training(Psychic Warrior), which can be taken as a Monk bonus feat.
-Mobility, replace it with Talashatora.
-Combat Expertise, replace it with Overchannel.
-Spring Attack, replace it with Class Training (Flurry of Blows), so you gain Greater Flurry and a delicious 3rd attack.
-Whirlwind Attack, replace it with Practiced Manifester.
-Skin of the Construct, keep it, I just read the feat and it is awesome just for the sheer flexibility of options you have.

You can still get a semi-Spring Attack-like ability with Hustle, or seriously ruin somebody's day with a Psionic Lion's Charge Greater Flurry, or get really big and hit someone really, really hard with augmented Expansion.

You don't have to 'uber' your character, but as it is, you'll have an extremely hard time actually contributing to combat - which, if we're in a military unit, will likely come up frequently. If you're fine with that possibility, leave your sheet exactly as it is now, but there's a lot of room for improvement without even touching the real cheese. Spending 5 feats to get Whirlwind Attack is just squandering feat slots, and can easily be replicated by gaining Greater Flurry and getting bigger via Expansion, without weakening the character concept at all.

Tagan

... oh well.

You guys want it.  All right.  I'll try to up her power.  (Sigh)

Ixy

I kinda don't think you should have to unless the DM requires it for the game.  I passed on a lot of alternatives too, just because I like my image of how the character 'should' be, but I did appreciate the suggestions... in fact, I even asked for them.  But, after considering the alternatives, I chose what I liked and I'm ok with that.

Tagan

Hmm... good point.  Oh Great and powerful Triangle, what do you prefer? 

Tagan

(Clapping Hands in glee.) Glyphstone!  Mark is wonderful!  I admit that Kasumi will have some problems with his bloodthirst, but she'll probably start treating him even better, in a mothering sort of way, hoping to turn him around.

I LOVE the concept though!

TheGlyphstone

Hehe, thanks. I plan to have a lot of fun with him too, particularly in getting his sadistic kicks in under the noses of the annoying goody-two-shoes squad members. :)

Tagan

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 24, 2009, 11:22:37 PM
@ Tagan: Something you should consider, and by 'consider', I mean 'get at all costs, including bribing the DM', is the Talashatora feat from Secrets of Sarlona (an Ebberon book). It lets you count Psychic Warrior levels and Monk levels for unarmed damage, AC bonus, and Flurry of Blows. At level 6, that's +1 AC, damage boost from d6 to d8, and reducing the Flurry penalty from -2 to -1. It'll cost 2 feat slots though (Monastic Training - Psychic Warrior and Talashatora) - you would probably want to get rid of either Combat Expertise+Whirlwind Attack or Mobility+Spring Attack - my preference being the latter, because Whirlwind Attack can get quite ugly once you fire off Expansion and become Huge with delicious 15ft reach*, and because Spring Attack deprives you of Flurry, your second-best Monk feature.

*Will require Practiced Manifester, naturally).

Ok, Glyphstone, I've compromised.  I'll trade in Improved Grapple for Improved Natural Weapon, making my Enlarged Self's attacks to 2d6 to everyone in my Whirlwind's reach.  In return, spend 750 gp to buy a Wand of Mighty Wallop, and use it on anyone you like... Being a Warlock, that should be easy enough for you. (On me that'd mean 3d6 a hit, and 4d6 in 10,000 exp.)  Good enough?

TheGlyphstone

Don't be looking to please me, I was just offering unsolicited suggestions as to ways you could improve combat-effectiveness. If you're happy where you are in terms of damage output, you don't need to do anything.

Plus, I don't think you can trade Imp. Grapple for Imp. Natural Weapon anyways, the latter is not a Monk Bonus Feat.

Although - Wands! I had been wondering what to spend my leftover cash on. Repair Light Wounds for certain, and maybe something else.

Tagan

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 25, 2009, 05:11:23 PM
Plus, I don't think you can trade Imp. Grapple for Imp. Natural Weapon anyways, the latter is not a Monk Bonus Feat.

Hmm, you're right.  I could do it if I ws the Cobra Strike School from UA... I wonder if I could be a Cobra Strike/Mind Blade School?   XD

Really.

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Tagan on November 25, 2009, 04:41:41 PM
Hmm... good point.  Oh Great and powerful Triangle, what do you prefer?

If you keep your character exactly as it is, you can have the effect of the damned talaslanta or whatever feat and improved natural attack for free.  (that's what you get for sticking to your guns and not min/maxing!  Good on you!)   
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Tagan

Quote from: The Great Triangle on November 25, 2009, 07:25:54 PM
If you keep your character exactly as it is, you can have the effect of the damned talaslanta or whatever feat and improved natural attack for free.  (that's what you get for sticking to your guns and not min/maxing!  Good on you!)   

You see my avatar?  That's me right now. 

(Tagan runs over and throws herself onto the Great Triangle with a big hug!)

Yatta!!  Domo Arigato Gozaimus!

(--- a minute later she calms down.) Thank you, Triangle.  Actually, I love that you gave it too me, but you know... I'm just going to take one feat.  I really don't feel like I deserve three, and Improved Natural Attack was next in line for me anyway.  This just saves me 5,000 xp.  :) Not 15,000!

I feel good!  Thanks!

Ixy

Tagan

Somebody give Ixy some xp for putting up with us!

TheGlyphstone

Wait, can I get a free feat for sticking to my gunslaser beams and not switching all my feat slots to Skill Focus (Profession: Chef) and Skill Focus (Craft: Delicious Cake)? Min/maxing Profession and Craft can make you some excellent money without any risk at all. ;D

Tagan

Heh!  I like it!  We'll be adventuring bakers!  Strawberry Shortcake and friends!

Katina Tarask

*Takes Craft Construct in order to assemble the vicious bread pudding golem.*

TheGlyphstone