News:

Main Menu

Dumb Laws

Started by Will, December 20, 2008, 07:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

This topic came up elsewhere, and I decided to make a thread for it.

This stuff makes me laugh so hard... http://www.dumblaws.com/

Some from my home state:
- It is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.
- Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death.
- Boogers may not be flicked into the wind.
- It is legal to drive the wrong way down a one-way street if you have a lantern attached to the front of your automobile.  (Are you kidding me?)
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

HairyHeretic

You have to be carefull about things that are still technically legal. There's a story I heard ... may be true, may just be a story ... from a local long established university, about a student who found out that apparently it was still in the charter that he could request a glass of wine while taking his exams. He duly requested it, and after checking, the staff found that yes, he could request his wine.

I'm sure you can see how popular this idea might become, once word of it spread, yeah?

At the next exam, he again requested his wine, and it was pointed out to him that if they were to follow that university ordinance, they'd likewise have to follow another, and fine him for not wearing his dress sword while taking his exams too.

:)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ZByte

What, would he have to pay 6 pence and pull the feather out of his pompadour in disgrace?

I wouldn't mind wearing a sword to my desk, though, while my stable hand brushes down my white mustang.
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam ~ I'll either find a way, or I'll make one.
Ons and Offs

Sabby

Quote from: Will1984 on December 20, 2008, 07:10:57 PMIt is illegal to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

Steps into Wills local church with a giant, comical, curling mustache. A Googalygood morning chaps!"

HairyHeretic

I suspect the fine would have been adjusted for a few centuries of inflation.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Oniya

I would have paid the fine, and then come in to the next exam with a sword.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Will

Quote from: Oniya on December 20, 2008, 08:17:32 PM
I would have paid the fine, and then come in to the next exam with a sword.

Agreed.  Can't put a price on a glass of wine with your exam!

Quote from: Sabbat on December 20, 2008, 07:59:44 PM
Steps into Wills local church with a giant, comical, curling mustache. A Googalygood morning chaps!"

-gasp- The unmitigated audacity!  *puts on a policeman's cap and chases Sabbat with a nightstick*

- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Will1984 on December 20, 2008, 08:22:55 PM
Agreed.  Can't put a price on a glass of wine with your exam!

Nothing to do with the glass of wine, everything to do with annoying the system.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Will

Quote from: Oniya on December 20, 2008, 08:33:24 PM
Nothing to do with the glass of wine, everything to do with annoying the system.  ;D

You make a good point!  Now I'm wondering if there's an ordinance against brandishing the sword during the exam... Also, it's pretty funny to imagine everyone bringing a sword. :D

"Now then, present arms and we'll begin."

- Jack Kerouac

Avi

"Tattooing is illegal unless it is done for medical purposes."

... This one is from my hometown.  Brookfield, Wisconsin. 
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Pumpkin Seeds

My state has laws against stealing alligators.  Mind you the laws are not against owning the alligator, just against stealing it.

Lilias

Check out the full list. More than you can take. Srsly.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI