The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Far eyes

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 06, 2016, 01:24:39 PM
The key difference is that Bay knows he's making schlock (or is at least willing to laugh at himself about it). I don't think he's ever confused his movies for grand artistry, or claimed that Transformers fans hate his movies because he's made the characters grow up.

See my main problem with that is Snyder actually has some skill when it comes to the visual spectacle, the way to set up a shot. Its that he cant do a story to save his life. Bay i can just write off and be calm with it, Snyder kind of hurts me a little each time he dos something and its a hot mess with some very nice visuals.

On Superman V Batman i kind of have to say the only bright point was actually Batman, true a really fucked up PTSD Batman but i was really buying Ben Affleck in the roll i kind of want to see what he can do in a movie thats not a hot mess.

Gal Gadot was surprisingly good, my main problem with her remains that... well
http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/style-test-wonderwoman-video-405059994

Wounder woman is suppose to be more like that, Gal Gadot is 178 and weighs maybe 65kg with a wet blanket

And then there is Lex JR...    holly crap... and you taught the last iron man had a shit villain.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Far eyes

Quote from: Mathim on April 06, 2016, 01:45:07 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

Oh good can we have Supermans and Batmans Origin story again, i dont think i have seen those enough yet to make me quiet throw up at the mere mention of them.
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

A/A

Mathim

Here's the big, most significant question: Why, if they were rebooting Superman via Man of Steel, did they not follow up that mediocre title with a reboot of Batman in his own film? A proven money-maker when done right could have lubed up our entry into this whole BvS thing if they planted the seeds of Bruce Wayne's antagonism against Supes in a Batman solo flick, perhaps introduced the Wonder Woman cameo there, more casually, just as Diana Prince and not her true heroine self, but implying she'll be there to kick ass either in her own solo movie or, which would be appropriate at this point, Bats V. Supes? They could maintained their darker, quasi-adult tone and still copied Marvel's formula with a few solo films before bringing the big group together.

Instead they've blown their big wad on something panned by critics and most likely won't even reach 1 billion (though they only need 800M to break even) and it's making them think twice about the roster they already had planned. And since both Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman are already either in production or in post-production, they can't exactly change them without it either costing a fortune, delaying the release, or degrading the product. At what point will it occur to someone upstairs to get the average Joe's point of view on what makes a good superhero movie?

But who knows, maybe Suicide Squad will be a sleeper hit. But honestly, when you have to introduce almost 12 focal characters in a single film, and the concept of magic, that seems highly unlikely. At least with magic, you could have introduced and perhaps elaborated on that in a solo Wonder Woman movie. Ah, lost opportunities.

I know Fox swallowed their pride with Fant4stic and asked people what they thought should be done with the property. WB should be doing some version of this with the DCEU. Maybe ask some of those people who worked on the old animated shows, you know, the ones that were critically acclaimed and won awards, for their opinions.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

QuoteI know Fox swallowed their pride with Fant4stic

Find the land fill with all the ET game cartridges in it and put it in there.

Honestly i am fine with them not having made another batman, i think it would have been to close to the last one. Granted the 3rd movie of that was...   well it happened. I think the main problem WB have is Marvel actually has a game plan, there is a succession of planed steps they have successfully built a world. I mean holly fuck the biggest criticism i have herd of Marvel was "the movie was unexpectedly prty good" but WB it seems like they just woke up looked around went "OH FUCK" and then tossed everything into a box and declared its a script now

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 06, 2016, 05:32:45 PM
Find the land fill with all the ET game cartridges in it and put it in there.

Honestly i am fine with them not having made another batman, i think it would have been to close to the last one. Granted the 3rd movie of that was...   well it happened. I think the main problem WB have is Marvel actually has a game plan, there is a succession of planed steps they have successfully built a world. I mean holly fuck the biggest criticism i have herd of Marvel was "the movie was unexpectedly prty good" but WB it seems like they just woke up looked around went "OH FUCK" and then tossed everything into a box and declared its a script now

It's a damn shame they got too nervous after Batman & Robin to keep moving ahead. If their next movie was Batman & Superman, hell, we may never have gotten the disaster of Superman Returns (but we'd probably have missed out on the two good films in the Nolan trilogy). Learn from mistakes, guys, for fuck's sake, that's all we're asking.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Far eyes

A/A

Mathim

SapphireStar

The new switch up that DC is doing might be in response to the reports about the 60 to 80 percent drop in the box office revenue. Zach Synder stated that Ben Affleck should direct the Batman movies. Why do I keep having bad feelings each time I read reports about anything related to the DC movies. Only thing I'm looking forward to are the new animated movies.

Looks like on Legends of Tomorrow, they are going to introduce Talia al Ghul! And, Jonah Hex!

Far eyes

Honestly because the movies were all some combination of rushed, poor, Grim dark crotch grindingly serious all of the above and often times done by people with a poor grasp on the characters. Batman is actually there only one that did well but even that got so freaking grim dark by the 3rd movie that it was a chore. Even taking arguably one of the weaker marvel movies like Thor at least that had some funny lines some cool visuals a sense of humor and Heimdall.   

A/A

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 06, 2016, 09:30:00 PM
Looks like on Legends of Tomorrow, they are going to introduce Talia al Ghul! And, Jonah Hex!
Talia turned up in the last episode
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 06, 2016, 09:30:00 PM
The new switch up that DC is doing might be in response to the reports about the 60 to 80 percent drop in the box office revenue. Zach Synder stated that Ben Affleck should direct the Batman movies. Why do I keep having bad feelings each time I read reports about anything related to the DC movies. Only thing I'm looking forward to are the new animated movies.

The Jonah Hex who got time-warped into the future, or the Jonah Hex in his own wild West era from a flashback or something?

And I haven't seen any of the films Affleck directed but I've heard good things, so as long as it's not gloomy Snyder, I'm willing to withhold criticism of that idea. Let's see how Suicide Squad appeals to people; I've just got this feeling it's going to be an overcrowded mess with a plot too convoluted to appeal to mainstream moviegoers. And if they don't do the Wonder Woman movie JUST right...that'll really piss people off, getting the most iconic female superhero on her big screen origin totally wrong.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on April 07, 2016, 07:37:13 AM
The Jonah Hex who got time-warped into the future, or the Jonah Hex in his own wild West era from a flashback or something?
It's next weeks episode, titled The Magnificent Eight. It's set in the Old West and it appears Jonah and Rip already know each other. Hex's arrival in the Arrowverse (or maybe DCCW is a better moniker) was shown during Barry's trip to Earth-2 on The Flash.

Quote from: Mathim on April 07, 2016, 07:37:13 AM
And if they don't do the Wonder Woman movie JUST right...
who's JUST right? Yours or mine?  :P
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Far eyes

I feel really meh on Suicide Squad, i can even bring my self to be annoyed at it its literally passed into the realm such things as Transformers 3+ inhabit.

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on April 07, 2016, 07:48:22 AM
It's next weeks episode, titled The Magnificent Eight. It's set in the Old West and it appears Jonah and Rip already know each other. Hex's arrival in the Arrowverse (or maybe DCCW is a better moniker) was shown during Barry's trip to Earth-2 on The Flash.
who's JUST right? Yours or mine?  :P

Just right, as in both making bank AND getting good reception from critics and general audiences. I would have thought the definition would have been fairly straightforward. Whatever the finished product is, the results need to be good even if the product is mediocre in some of our opinions. The results are what will give DC/WB the motivation to either abandon this whole DCEU idea or barrel forward and take risks.

SapphireStar

I think I'm officially done with Arrow. This has to be the worst season ever. The flashbacks make no sense. Its gone off the rails and don't think it can get back on track. If the tv shows are starting to follow in the movie universe tracks, I'm done.

With the new updated change in schedule for the DC movie universe, I'm beginning to wonder if one of the new "Untitled" movies will be Green Arrow?

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on April 07, 2016, 05:37:58 PM
I think I'm officially done with Arrow. This has to be the worst season ever. The flashbacks make no sense. Its gone off the rails and don't think it can get back on track. If the tv shows are starting to follow in the movie universe tracks, I'm done.

With the new updated change in schedule for the DC movie universe, I'm beginning to wonder if one of the new "Untitled" movies will be Green Arrow?

Well I never really cared for Arrow, I just watched it so I'd get all the references and Easter eggs from The Flash, which I did like a lot. But I always felt the flashbacks were the worst aspect of Arrow and they never really improved from the first season. It's a shame since they even had the Flash cameo on Supergirl, so they're making an effort to integrate lots of stuff. But maybe Arrow's outlived its purpose to set Flash and Legends of Tomorrow up? Surely that is a viable option, to save money and still have the principle cast appear as support on the other shows.

But we knew the DCEU was having problems even before Arrow season 4. Hopefully the TV part learns from its mistakes better than the movies.

SapphireStar

They've already been doing the infinite worlds aspect by bringing in characters from Earth-2. Plus, on Legends of Tomorrow, they've been introducing even more while they traverse time. Which I hope leads to bringing in other characters who have not been introduced like Zatanna, Stargirl, and others.

I don't think they are planning any more crossovers involving Supergirl. It was pretty much a one shot thing. With how things have been going on Arrow, it pretty much outlived its use. Apparently, now they are doing things just for "shock value". It feels like they are sacrificing storytelling in favor of trying for high ratings. Hopefully, The Flash and Legends avoid the mistakes. Some of the flashbacks on Arrow worked, especially with the first three seasons as it coincided with what was happening in the current present time.

Far eyes

Is Supergirl even running? I caught a few early episodes of it found it almost depressing to a point, half the time she feels less like a hero and more like a child who wants to help her parents with something. The whole government agency plot line left me disinterested enough that i just kind of forgot about it

A/A

Far eyes

I am reminded, people interested in super heroes/superman might find this interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIKYRZc9A1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naaz_JzTz_4

A/A

Mathim

Quote from: Far eyes on April 08, 2016, 04:51:22 AM
I am reminded, people interested in super heroes/superman might find this interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIKYRZc9A1M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naaz_JzTz_4

Well, that's what I always said was the problem with making a Superman movie interesting. But I like how it deconstructed the Avengers in that other video, I never thought about it in quite that in-depth way. Good finds.

Far eyes

Brows held high is generally very in depth, what i like about him is he very often manages to do so and stay accessible and never loose his sense of humor about it.

A/A

SapphireStar

The best portrayal of Supergirl was, well, two. One was Helen Slater's version of Supergirl. The movie was a bit campy, but entertaining. Second is Laura Vanderoot's portrayal on Smallville. Her version was independent, strong willed, tough, and could hold her own. The current tv show leaves me feeling unimpressed. It seems every week on the tv show that she needs help from her sister to save the day or someone to save her. And, Kara seems to spend more time giggling then anything else.

It seems like the DCU is spinning off the rails from the movies to the comics. Apparently in the comics there will be a "Major" character death. Arrow has become more of a soap opera then about the character's journey to become the Green Arrow.

Far eyes

The whole Arrow thing feels like it is...   

For a long time i had the sneaking suspicion that the american style endless "Series" is a rotten way to tell any story. For some it kind of works (Star trek, Babylon 5) things with lots of people ware its not really suppose to have a point of end goal. But i feel like Arrow should have instead been a much more British style of series ware you had a before hand determined run time, a before hand determined number of episodes and an actual story arch.

I did not end up watching much of Arrow either really

I find Agent Carter sort of interesting but its basically like a cop show, and i might also have a thing for her in that red hat ;D what can i say, my frist crush was Carmen Sandiego

A/A

SapphireStar

It all depends on who is running the show from the creators to the showrunners. Look at Castle, it used to be a good show but the new showrunners have completely ruined the characters. The first three seasons of Arrow were pretty good. It focused more on story and the characters. This season it just feels it is focusing too much on the romance aspect then feeling like a superhero show. The thing with Arrow is that each episode ties into one another, with the flashbacks tieing into what is happening in the present, like with Deathstroke going after Oliver, how Shado's death was the turning point.

There are a few aspects of what has happened on Arrow that do not sit well in regards to what happened with certain character developments and what has been said by the creators. In my opinion, the Marvel shows have worked at telling pretty good stories so far and not going for the "shock value" just for the sake of it.

I hope Agent Carter comes back, it is one of the few good shows on tv.

Far eyes

I watched some of Castle but its more like catching it here and there

A/A