A Long Night Out: A Dresdenverse Character Proposal (Closed)

Started by Sephora, July 18, 2014, 02:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

Sephora - Thanks for the clarification.

I am a college student and while yes it is hard to do things without a computer it is not impossible.  That and I love the idea of the technological problems it may cause.  ;D

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Red Stella

I'd like to express interest in this game.  I'm not completely up to date on the books, but I do love the Dresden world.

I'll work on a character.  :)

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Crash

Should I add any crafted items to the character sheet under abilities?

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Sephora

That would be lovely, please do!  Specifically things that your character would have on them regularly. 

Crash

Thanks.  I think I am going to use an inexperienced sorceress motif.  She is good at thaumaturgy (divination and potions are a specialty) but her evocation is a bit wild and unpredictable.

Mister Grimm

Slowly working on a character lol. Just posting this so i don't end up losing what i have already. Will probably tweak parts of what are already there as I go.

KNOWN NAME / REAL NAME:
Jacob Scar  / Jacob Alexander Maximilian Scarborough

TYPE:
Wizard

JOB
An assortment of job jobs, some of which he doesn't like to even talk about.

Actual Age - Unknown

SEX:
Male

APPEARANCE:
Jacob is a pretty imposing guy in his own right, but only because he stands a head above the rest of the crowd at 6'4". Medium length brown hair can on be messy on occasion, but his appearance is generally well kept if he can afford the time of making himself look proper, and green eyes often are alight from amusement.

ORIENTATION:
Straight

FLAW:
- Lacks the finesse required for veils and glamors, as well as shields unless he has a focus in working order.
- Has a bad habit of going into situations unprepared, and acts on instinct rather that thinking things through.
- While he can put together basic potions, it was never an aspect of magic that he particularly cared for, so he couldn't make a potion even if his life depended on it.

BIOGRAPHY:
Jacob's early life was less than spectacular, since as the youngest of four he was always left in the dust of his more skilled brothers and sisters. He really didn't start making a splash until he started coming  into his power, but it usually dropped him off on the wrong side of the line with his father; a Warden of the White Council. Despite the grueling training that his father put him through, Jacob was never able to grasp the finer points of magic or hone his art enough to do more delicate spells. Because of this, his father often seemed disappointed in him and never outwardly displayed his approval despite the fact that Jacob had more power than any of his siblings.

Originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Jacob relocated regularly after finishing his basic schooling at the age of eighteen to distance himself from his family and to carve his own path in the world. He didn't really want the life of a Warden like his father, and his siblings that also tried to climb the ranks, which eventually lead him to Seattle after working his way up the West coast two and a half years ago. There was a certain cluster of supernatural happenings there that drew him in like a scrap of metal to a magnet, and he soon set up shop doing whatever job seemed to come his way.

ABILITIES:
Jacob can swing with the best of them, or so he would like to think. Physically, Jacob is in the best shape of his life and has great endurance, but compared to the rest of the world, he hardly even compares. That's where is magic comes into play. His spells ooze raw power, but he lacks the fineness required for the more subtle aspects of the arts like veils. Kinetomancy is his forte, but he has been finding that he is also pretty handy when it comes to Pyromancy. Another field of magic that Jacob seems fairly capable with is enchantments, as he regularly maintains the warded jacket he wear and the silver bangle he wears on his right wrist that serves as his primary focus for shields.

REPUTATION:  If you need something done, and something done loudly, then Jacob is your man. Assuming you can afford him, which is a very possible thing.

6.  Writing prompts!
---- One Night Stand Aftermath Prompt
Just like every other morning, Jacob was awoken to the sound of his alarm clock blaring and couldn't get the damn thing to stop despite his best efforts. The thought of blasting the offending object had tiptoed into his mind, but it had other information to contend with as he tried to roll and found himself unable to. The numbed arm should have been a dead give away, since it wasn't unusual for him to crawl into bed naked, but the redhead slumbering beside him had almost given him a start. He battled with himself as he tried to figure out who she was, but memories of last night alluded him as everything had been a drunken blur. A sick feeling settled in Jacob's stomach when he wondered if anything else had happened last night, since a drunk wizard was a very dangerous thing, but a quick survey of the room seemed to show that everything was in order. He would have to probe the regulars of Windhaven's Last Call for additional details since that is where he blew his most recent paycheck, assuming he didn't do anything that would have barred him from the tavern.

A popping noise to the left of him gave Jacob another start and more details started to assault him as he began to realize that this wasn't even his apartment. First off, Jacob didn't own anything that could be considered flowery. Secondly, the last time that Jacob had checked, his alarm clock was an ancient Gustav Becker model that he had picked up in an antiques store somewhere in Southern California, not something that was digital or something that got a radio signal. The popping noise gave way to a sickly high pitched whine, causing the girl next to him in bed to  jolt upright and stare in dismay. Most have cost a mint, Jacob thought sourly. Given her reaction, Jacob bet she was a mundane - his father's word for people that had never had contact with the supernatural - though it could have just been naked surprise as well. He confirmed it as well when she gave him a scathing look and went as far as throwing his clothes at him.

Well then. At least nothing of mine is broken, he mused darkly to himself as he buckled his jeans and got out as fast as he could. His Jeep must have still been back at the bar, unless it had been impounded for staying out the whole night, so he hunted for a pay phone - a rarity in this day and age - and called up a cab to pick his sorry ass up, while trying and failing to deal with the monstrous hangover that accompanied a night of heavy drinking.

--- Soulgaze prompt
There was a reason that Jacob never liked making eye contact, but in certain situations it was completely unavoidable. Like when a cop pulls you over and forces you in order to ascertain that you aren't high on any drugs or have been drinking alcohol like it was water. Jacob had been doing neither of those things, and aside from a snarky comment or two about going six miles an hour over the speed limit, he was doing nothing wrong. The cop, as far as it appeared, was only trying to do his job and Jacob - some part deep inside of him, at least - could respect that.  Or would have, anyways.

It only took a few beats to happen, since unfortunately this cop wasn't wearing any sunglasses, and Jacob felt himself sink into his seat as the visions pinned him down. While he had some clue as to what his soul looked like, this cop in front of him really struck him hard. He was unsure if whether to judge the man as corrupt or if he had just seen some shit in his time, but his soul looked like the rotting remains of a once well constructed house. The foundation of his soul still looked strong, but with the walls torn out and the support beams of the house showing, it was like you could see its bones. The paint of the remaining walls were white in large splotches, but chipped and peeling yellow elsewhere. A smoker probably, or he lived with someone that did. Tiptoeing through the Soulgaze, Jacob noticed that any and all reflective surface in the house was either smudged by a thick layer of soot, or cracked so that any reflection was fractured into a million smaller ones.

Upon reaching the center of the rotted house, Jacob came across the officer and was surprised at how seemingly normal he was in contrast to the house around him. But then the small wrecked frame of a woman caught his attention, and he instantly felt sick in his stomach. The woman was skeletal in her appearance, and a heavy black miasma shrouded her like a quilt meant to keep her warm, yet she was only shivering. A long winding chain bound the two together, shackled at their ankles, and Jacob wondered if that was a representation of their connection. It was taking ball and chain to a new level, but he had a feeling that the appearance wasn't as harsh as it seemed. It was then that the officer seemed to notice him, or at least the soul's version of the officer, and he was quickly expelled after the reflection screamed, "Get out!"

The following minute after being abruptly forced out of the soulgaze was disorientating and Jacob could see that the officer wasn't faring any better. Or at least, that was the conclusion he drew when the made grew green and the face and almost ran for the nearest bush. Was his soul really that bad? Or was it too much information for the cop. He was let off with a warning to slow down as the cop beat a hasty retreat to his car and Jacob sat for a second longer piecing together what he saw in the man's soul. It took him good second to realize what he saw, and the fleeting respect he had for the man grew tenfold. You had to respect someone who could still look so strong when the person they loved was dying.

I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Swan

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Known Name: Elyse Swan

Type: True Believer
Job: Her own Business - Heavenly Desires Cosmetics Consultant
Sex: Female
Orientation: Bisexual (feels incomplete if not companioned by both sexes)

Appearance

Flaws

Social Butterfly Alcoholic: She is always there for others or clients, even if it means sacrificing some alone time to recollect and distress.

Involuntary Observer: Due to an ugly incident in her past she keeps quiet when in larger crowds which makes her come across as shy.

Bottles Up: Elyse has a nasty habit of building and gathering up bottled emotions that leaves her as a ticking time bomb despite her innocent nature.

Bio

Elyse's family financials barely met middle class qualifications and when the recessions would strike, she remembered her father shutting off every light in the house and lit candles instead using electricity. That struck a chord in a child's eyes and knew they had become poor. Feeling the pain from her father's financial worries, she tried giving her allowance back to bring back her father's happiness.
But her father wasn't always kind. There were times where she hid from his madness and from the hostility in his eyes. Only then was she truly worried for her safety and her sisters.
Her mother... well, that's all that can be said about her. Elyse recalls a few times where she called out for her, but she never came. When Elyse turned eighteen, her mother fled with her two sisters. There were only a few moments where she spoke with her sisters, but as days progressed, so did their distance.

A few months later, Elyse was invited into a company called Heavenly Desires Cosmetics or more commonly known as HD Cosmetics. Of course she was hesitant at first afraid of it being too-good-to-be-true scams or pyramids. However, after doing enough research and speaking with other consultants that sell the products, she was sold that it was truly legit. If she worked hard enough to put in those efforts, she would be rewarded every quarter for making those numbers. This was going to be her salvation to get away from her angered father, she thought.
A few years later, she did just that and now has a steady, growing flow of clientele, including a regular buyer - Charity. Not to mention her favorite customer; she seems to love trying everything!

Ever since she can remember, there wasn't ever a time where she feared anything, not even the night itself with all its creepy crawlers lurking around that time. She always felt safe, and if she was lost, she seemed to always know where to go after "consulting" with a higher power. This usually led her to people who needed help along the way.
One night after her shift at a local jewelry store, she waited for the bus to take her home since her beat down car was spending a couple days at the mechanic's, a truck went by only to do a full "U" turn and park across from her. A drunken man exited the truck, staggering here and there toward where Elyse sat. Her heart began to beat faster as she knew no good could come from this. The stinking man sat beside her and placed his hand on her thigh. A force came from within almost instinctively and tapped the man on the forehead with her index finger. The alcoholic writhed and shouted in pain which gave her time to flee the scene.

True Believer's Abilities

Eylse' faith protects any home from the paranormal, making it difficult for a force to invade.  She can release herself to a higher power, and let her belief be a guide to where she is most needed. Holy Touch is her last ability in which case her physical touch is painful to things that are sensitized to pure hearted things.

As an artist of many talents, Elyse has easily picked up on music, drawing and painting whether it's faces or interior design. She put her coloured talents to good use when she was recruited at age 18 for Heavenly Desires Cosmetics and has climbed the ladder quickly with her friendly, social nature.

She is also known for her singing in a church near by.

Writing Prompts!

1. Your character had a one night stand. Do a write up on the morning after.

No. This wasn't right. What had she gotten herself into now?

Elyse' eyes opened slowly to the aroma of breakfast in bed. Her stomach growled at the wafting scent and automatically sat up in bed ready to eat when her blanket fell away from her chest.
Her naked chest.

Elyse' eyes widened and quickly dashed her hands for the blanket to cover herself. All the while her mind racing for answers as to how she got into this predicament.
"What's the matter, dear?" There stood a woman wearing nothing but an apron, her perfect breasts nearly popping out; she wore it so tight. Elyse couldn't help but think how cute and beautiful she was in it.

No! What have I done!?

Finding herself compromised in a dilemma of morality, Elyse moved the tray over carefully enough not to spill anything on the empty space beside her. She shot out of bed with a sheet covering herself, looking for her clothes.
"Honestly, hun, I've seen everything already." The nameless woman jested and sighed as soon as Elyse found her clothes and started getting dressed. "I guess this means you won't be staying?"
The woman was right. Besides, the holding the sheet was slowing her down. "I can't stay, Merelyn. You work soon anyway, and I have to get to an appointment I'll be late for." Elyse let her down easy. Though it wasn't at all untrue, there was something picking at her to leave and had a feeling no one should be in this house much longer. "What are you doing? Get dressed!" She threw Merelyn's clothes at her.
"Alright, alright! Sheesh, what's the big deal if we're a tad late?" The question was rhetorical, more like thinking out loud. She obeyed Elyse' orders and blew a kiss to her before they went their separate ways.

3. Your character has just been handed a bill that they suddenly realize they can't pay. What do they do?

"You did what!?" Elyse shouted at the boy-man across from her. She couldn't fathom what he had done with the money they saved for rent. "You went and bought an Xbox!? What made you think there was money for that!" Elyse ranted on, completely livid he wasted her part of the hard earned money on such a machine. Though she may love games as much as he, she made too much progress in little time to get distracted by such a thing. Money was more important, especially now.
She doesn't even have enough people on her clientele list to support herself, let alone someone else yet.
Uh oh. Here comes the water works.

"Aww, don't cry." Was all he could muster as his character shot a Vietnamese soldier.

"Are you serious! You can't even look at me and say that!" Fire was fed, she knew she had to do something to fix this idiotic situation. But what? She didn't have what is due in her savings account, especially since the due date is tomorrow. She wanted to puch him out. Give him a nice Kasumi KO from DOA. But no, she couldn't do that. It would be wrong even though it would satisfy her much more than an orgasm could give right now.
Oh yes. Her entire being was fuming with clenched fists.
And then a great calm swept over her, like inside the eye of a tornado. She left without another word or slamming the door.
It was time to go to work.

Time passed as Elyse came home, exhausted. Nick looked behind him and saw what was in her hand. "Nice! What did you do? Go pimp yourself out?"
Elyse didn't say anything. Just stared at him as she walked by him to her room and shut the door. She hid the money in a hardcover book until it was time to pay the Landlord. She spent the whole day looking for clients, hosting a couple parties and made just enough money for rent. Thankfully she didn't need to take out a loan and pay back the interest. However, she has full intentions of placing interest on her half of the money Nick stole from her.

Crash

Work in progress and still need my writing promtps, but this is her so far....

NAME: Autumn Rain Breckenridge

TYPE: Sorceress

JOB:  Fine Arts Student at UDub!

SEX: Female

APPEARANCE:

Autumn Rain Breckenridge

Beautiful Eyes

Physical Description: Autumn is slight of build with very girlish features that belay her age and the devious little mind at work.  She has dancing eyes and a constant smirk like she knows something you don’t and is just waiting for the right moment to surprise you.  She doesn’t look particularly athletic, but her swimming and surfing keep her from gaining much weight.  Autumn is a third generation hippie  She got her first tattoo at the age of 12 for her birthday and has added a significant number of them in the following years .  Autumn has brilliant red hair that she cuts to a medium length with long bangs that often hang over her face and is constantly bushing hair out of her eyes. 

ORIENTATION: Bisexual (leans towards women)

FLAW: Autumn is Hedonistic.  She has embraced her parents and her grandparent’s summer of love, flower child lifestyle to its fullest.  The fact that her abilities make some of the modern creature comforts impossible and others frighteningly easy to achieve has only heightened this characteristic.  Autumn can come off as a bit lazy.  Anything that smacks of boring old work is to be avoided with extreme prejudice, however Autumn isn’t above getting others to do her work for her and is more than willing to bat eyelashes, flash dimples or flirt like crazy to make that happen.  It is entirely possible that Autumn has the potential to be a full-fledged Sorceress, but her complete lack of work ethic keeps those aspects of magic from coming easily to her.  Autumn’s evocation magic is fairly wild and prone to interesting miscues.

Being a student she has to keep her grades up while slowly being drawn into the more complex supernatural world around her.  She also lives off of student loans so her access to disposable income is a bit limited.  She has started trading her magical services to earn a little extra cash.  At the moment that trade has centered on her potion making and finding the occasional missing keepsake or pet.

BIOGRAPHY: 
Autumn grew up in the hills of Northern Stevens county.  Her family was far from wealthy and lived in what amounted to a commune with three other families all of which had their origins in the sixties hippie movement and were also minor talents.  Autumn and her sister are the third generation to be raised in that unique environment.  As strange as it may seem to some her family was not a part of some strange cult.  Autumn attended public school and did all of the other normal things that other kids did, she just grew up with more people around her and a simpler way of living. Autumn and her older sister Summer were inspirable as children, but when Autumn’s talent manifested and Summer’s did not, a rift grew between them.  Summer who would have made a much better wizard than Autumn ever could rebelled against her family and her sister and left the commune as soon as she was accepted into college.  She moved to Seattle and had little contact with her family.

This was devastating to Autumn and her family, who missed her sister and daughter immensely, so when it came time for Autumn to graduate she chose to follow her sister to Seattle and the University of Washington to attempt to reconnect.  Autumn’s attempt to reconnect failed miserably when she tried to surprise Summer at her apartment and accidently nuked her sister’s computer in the middle of writing her thesis.  Summer was livid and told her that she hated her and never wanted to see her again.
Crushed Autumn has kept her distance ever since.  She doesn’t understand why her sister hates her so much, but does her best to watch over her from afar and make sure she is doing alright, hoping they can reconcile someday.

Other than her failure with her sister Autumn is enjoying college immensely.  She barely keeps her grades above academic probation, but in her mind college is as much about finding yourself and having fun then it is about learning anything.  She isn’t shy about using her magic to her advantage but had been taught quite extensively by her family (and extended family) about what she can and cannot do with magic and has not been flagged as a threat by the White Council.  Her lone encounter with a Warden frightened her enough that she has reigned in any overt excesses she might have been thinking about pursuing.   Autumn has established a bit of a network with the few minor talents and focused practitioners at school, mainly to do her open and genuine personality.  They watch out for one another and meet a couple of times a month to have a little magical fun and be around people who understand each other.

Summer Breeze Breckenridge
Summer is a computer science major.  While she might not be a wizard in the conventional sense she is a wizard at all things electronic.  She is serious where Autumn is carefree and disciplined were Autumn is flighty.  Ultimately Summer is jealous of Autumn’s abilities and feels that her little sister doesn’t appreciate the gift she was given. The fact that her family doesn’t seem to mind that her Sister is lazy and irresponsible was the last straw for Summer.  She left home for college and did some growing up.  She misses them as much as they miss her, but when her sister surprised her at school and ruined her thesis she let all of her pent up anger and frustration at being unfairly mundane out on her sister chasing her away.  Summer is on a knife’s edge.  She could seek out entities that would give her the power she feels was unfairly granted to her sister or she could mature and realize she has talents that are just as valuable as any her sister has.

Summer Breeze Breckinridge

Abilities:
Autumn is adept and Divination and Potion making and she has the Sight.  With more discipline she could become a much more effective sorceress.  Autumn is a talented artist.  She loves to paint (it is her favorite medium) and is never without a notebook or a sketchpad.  Her talent at potion making extends to cooking and mixing drinks.  She was fired from her last couple of jobs when she was constantly breaking the bars fancy new POS registers.  Autumn is ultimately a sweet girl and means well, but she is not above manipulating others to do things for her and is quite good at it.  She has a network of contacts among the other magically active students at the University of Washington.
Focus Item: Crystal Pendant (Divination)
Focus Item: Mortar and Pestle (Potions)
Potion: Escape
Potion: Stimulant
Potion: Open Slot
Potion: Open Slot

REPUTATION:  Autumn doesn’t have the greatest of reputations among the white council because of her blatant lack of work ethic and devil may care attitude.  She doesn’t have much of an interest in authority and doesn’t believe in blindly following directions just because the person telling her to do something has a title.  If it isn’t fun why do it?  Those that know her well however know that she has a talent for potion making.  She can whip up virtually anything you need quickly if she has the ingredients and can is friendly enough with others in her community to get anything she doesn’t have on hand reasonably quickly.  She is slowing gaining a reputation as if finder of lost things since she started trading magical services for quick cash.

At school Autumn is known as a party girl.  She loves having a good time and gets invited to all of the good parties in and around campus.  She is openly bisexual and shows little concern for topics that others might consider taboo in polite company.  She is carefree and honest which can leave her open to manipulation as she is a sucker for a pretty face and a sob story.

Writing prompts!  Choose two of the three.
        1. Your character had a one night stand.  Do a write up on the morning after.
        2.  Your character finds themselves experiencing prolonged eye contact with a side dish of soulgazing.  How does it happen, and what happens afterwards?
        3.  Your character has just been handled a bill that they suddenly realize they can't pay.  What do they do? 

AndyZ

Since we all have to know each other, I wanted to work on setting up some interactions.  All of these are suggestions to welcome discussion, and I won't consider them absolute without the acceptance of the other player.

Amelia Windhaven

The first time Charity showed up at the Windhaven's Last Call, she was wounded too badly to walk more than the half a block it took to find the bar, collapsed more than sat at one of the booths and drank enough to take the edge of the pain off.  By last call, she was healed enough to walk to the bus stop, but it gave her enough time to examine the place.

Charity soon decided that Amelia was a good person and that this place was worthy of some protection.  It's not easy for her to stay, because she'll inevitably end up drinking while she's there, but Amelia has standing orders to cut Charity off if she's getting too tipsy.

It really doesn't help that another patron who Charity has helped keeps paying off her tab.

Alexis Walker

The way I'm imagining this one, if Alexis had been working for the Reds until realizing that the Reds were even worse, Charity might have shown up with evidence that Alexis' contact was an absolute monster and executed her, displaying holy prowess in the process.  That may or may not have gone over well at the time, but they'd likely have had enough time to work together and find some common ground since.

Jacob Scar

Someone pointed them to each other and they wiped out a nest of Black Court vampires together.  They don't work together often but each can call on the other for similarly nasty situations.

Elyse Swan

Charity and Elyse go to the same church, and sometimes Charity shows up to get a beauty treatment when she's splurging (or getting dressed up for a job that requires her to look really great).

Autumn Rain Breckenridge

I want to say that Autumn has seen Charity's intoxicated side, even if Charity only remembers bits and pieces of it.  Charity is a sad and passive drunk, frustrated to no end that she can't just live a normal life even though she's needed.

Hopefully this doesn't come off as presumptuous or anything.  Let me know what you all think and if you want to change ideas or go with others.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Crash

It is possible Autumn works part time at the Windhaven.  She could know people from there or have helped someone find somebody or something missing.

ElvenKitten

Quote from: AndyZ on July 20, 2014, 03:33:57 PM

Alexis Walker

The way I'm imagining this one, if Alexis had been working for the Reds until realizing that the Reds were even worse, Charity might have shown up with evidence that Alexis' contact was an absolute monster and executed her, displaying holy prowess in the process.  That may or may not have gone over well at the time, but they'd likely have had enough time to work together and find some common ground since.

Good idea with the interactions but want to keep the red court thing secret from the group, makes for some choice drama later.

AndyZ

Quote from: ElvenKitten on July 20, 2014, 03:42:42 PM
Good idea with the interactions but want to keep the red court thing secret from the group, makes for some choice drama later.

Very understandable.  If you like, Charity could still have taken out the red court vamp but just not have had any idea that Alexis was there, and Alexis would find out that way.  That would give Alexis a good excuse to seek Charity out with whatever story she chose.

Alternatively, we can go with something completely different.

Swan

Elyse Swan

Charity and Elyse go to the same church, and sometimes Charity shows up to get a beauty treatment when she's splurging (or getting dressed up for a job that requires her to look really great).

I have no issues with this.

Dizzied

I know I expressed interest in the initial thread, but I felt a need to post here and say that I don't think I can make the time for this game. Which pains me greatly, as I really want to, but group games deserve special attention and I won't be able to commit to it for now.

I may read over the thread occasionally, though; any story in the dresdenverse has my interest. :)

Rook Seidhr

Since we all have to know each other, I wanted to work on setting up some interactions.  All of these are suggestions to welcome discussion, and I won't consider them absolute without the acceptance of the other player.

Amelia Windhaven…
Alexis Walker…
Jacob Scar…
Elyse Swan…
Autumn Rain Breckenridge…
No love for Meredith. :(

AndyZ

Crap, I missed Meredith.  I'm sorry.  Give me a bit and I'll figure out something.

ElvenKitten

Quote from: AndyZ on July 20, 2014, 04:12:07 PM
Very understandable.  If you like, Charity could still have taken out the red court vamp but just not have had any idea that Alexis was there, and Alexis would find out that way.  That would give Alexis a good excuse to seek Charity out with whatever story she chose.

Alternatively, we can go with something completely different.
Well something different though maybe Charity had seen Alexis fight at some point as Witchbane (deliberately cheesy) and sort of figured it out from there.

Crash

I think I am going to back out as well.  I feel like I am forcing the character and that usually doesn't bode well for my writing.

ElvenKitten

Think he means she wasn't featured in the character meetup post thing

AndyZ

Quote from: ElvenKitten on July 20, 2014, 07:18:17 PM
  Well something different though maybe Charity had seen Alexis fight at some point as Witchbane (deliberately cheesy) and sort of figured it out from there.

Could I ask you to elaborate on this?  I can see a few different things it might mean and don't want to assume.

For Meredith, I'm thinking that Summer Court wanted someone dealt with that they'd already promised never to raise a hand against.  They came to Charity via Meredith and showed Charity all the things this creature had done, along with a decent amount of money.  Charity agreed but donated all the money given to her to charity. (No pun intended).

What do you think, Riveda?

Red Stella

I'm working on a Were. 

I understand the differences between Were-form and Lycanthrope, but exactly does one end up a were-form in the Dresden universe?  Are they born that way or what?   

Thanks!

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: AndyZ on July 20, 2014, 08:14:58 PM
For Meredith, I'm thinking that Summer Court wanted someone dealt with that they'd already promised never to raise a hand against.  They came to Charity via Meredith and showed Charity all the things this creature had done, along with a decent amount of money.  Charity agreed but donated all the money given to her to charity. (No pun intended).
Thinking about it, I think paying someone to do the job would violate the oath…so it would be more like "Here's all the awful stuff this individual has done. BTW, what's your favorite charity? Oh yeah, that's a good one, we're considering a six-figure donation to them. Think on these things. Do what your conscience demands."

AndyZ

Quote from: Red Stella on July 21, 2014, 02:53:50 AM
I'm working on a Were. 

I understand the differences between Were-form and Lycanthrope, but exactly does one end up a were-form in the Dresden universe?  Are they born that way or what?   

Thanks!

One of the wiki pages I found says that werewolves (as distinct from Lycanthropes and other transformatives) have a very specific type of magic that lets them transform to animal and back again.  This should hold true for other animals as well.

Regarding how people end up with magic in the first place, it's often hereditary but it does sometimes just happen.

It mentions in the game book that shapeshifters who can change their mass are "very rare" and that growing is easier than shrinking (drawing in extra mass via ectoplasm vs. storing part of your mass and intellect in the Nevernever).

Quote from: Riveda on July 21, 2014, 05:24:55 AM
Thinking about it, I think paying someone to do the job would violate the oath…so it would be more like "Here's all the awful stuff this individual has done. BTW, what's your favorite charity? Oh yeah, that's a good one, we're considering a six-figure donation to them. Think on these things. Do what your conscience demands."

Depends on the exact way the oath was made, sure.  This works great too ^_^

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: AndyZ on July 21, 2014, 08:07:36 AM
One of the wiki pages I found says that werewolves (as distinct from Lycanthropes and other transformatives) have a very specific type of magic that lets them transform to animal and back again.  This should hold true for other animals as well.

Regarding how people end up with magic in the first place, it's often hereditary but it does sometimes just happen.
The example were-forms in the books are a loup-garou (hereditary curse), some hexenwulves (demonically enchanted belts), and some straight-up werewolves (taught by another werewolf). The game has an example were-mouse but I forget the origin of her powers.