Marvel: Civil War (Freeform Superhero PvP) [Recruitment]

Started by Totoro, December 04, 2017, 06:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Totoro

Marvel: Civil War

Synopsis

Sometimes it only takes one event to plunge the entire world into chaos. After a long time of fighting peace was just coming around with superheroes self-regulating and organising takedowns on everything from organised crime to the darkest supervillains. One of the teams carrying out those raids were the New Warriors consisting of Namorita, Night Thrasher and Microbe. The trio were aiming to take down Nitro, Cobalt Man, Speedfreek and Coldheart. After Nitro blasted his way out of the building Namorita managed to pin him against a school bus. Nitro just grinned and taunted her.

"Oh baby, you don't even know. You're playing with the big boys."

Nitro then fully transformed into gas and detonated his entire body at once. The resulting blast changed the world forever. It instantly killed the heroes and villains, incinerating the bus and nearby school and levelling an entire district of the city. The death toll was in the thousands, most of whom would never be found or named. Memorials were erected and for once even heroes and villains, mortal enemies, stood side by side to mourn the tragedy. It was a rare day, and one of the last days of peace in America. After the tragedy a bill was proposed to ensure a disaster of this magnitude would never happen again. The Superhero Registration Act demanded that all beings whether alien, human or otherwise would register. They would be assessed as to their potential danger, mental state and overall risk to the public. They would then be given a license to fight crime and monitored, with a body being created to arrest any unlicensed heroes.

Iron Man spearheaded the pro-registration operation, reasoning that it was only fair to the vulnerable ordinary civilians that their protectors be licensed and registered just as police officers were. However having experienced the horrors of a controlling, authoritarian state and witnessed the power organisations like Hydra can still influence in Government Captain America was firmly against the bill. He believes that Superheroes should be monitored but by a council of other heroes chosen for their morals, and not by a Government that can be bribed or infiltrated. The two clashed verbally many times throughout the bill's approval process but eventually the will of the people wishing to be protected was listened to. A team was formed to arrest unlicensed heroes and Iron Man was appointed leader. Captain America went into hiding, bringing with him a variety of anti-registration superheroes. Even a few former villains joined one side or another, fighting alongside those they'd hated just to ensure their side one. Many past feuds were thrown aside after almost every superhero team from the Avengers to the X-men was torn apart by moral disagreements. 

Game Overview

This group game set in a world heavily based on Marvel's 'Civil War' comic crossover storyline will focus on both sides of the Civil War, each group consisting of various PC's and a few NPC's. Each group will attempt to win the Civil War for it's own ideology through a mixture of diplomacy and warfare.  Members of each team may be drawn from the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men, Defenders, Fantastic Four and Inhumans.  Some villains will be allowed but they'll be the exception not the rule and treated on a case by case basis. Canon characters apart from Captain America and Iron Man do not have to be on the same side they were in canon.

The game itself will heavily focus on missions and operations, playing out almost like a strategy game in which the players try to utilise their resources, campaigning, diplomacy and heroic abilities to make a better world, while the same efforts are mirrored by the opposing force's PC's. Players will have opportunities to respond to a variety of crisis's as they unfold across America from Iron Man's team arresting heroes to Supervillains bringing more disaster to terrified civilians. They will be able to build up a base of operations, recruit NPC superheroes and regular people to help persuade America they're the good guys. They'll then be able to debate and discuss matters with Iron Man and his team as well as the U.S Government. But, at the heart of it, physical conflict is inevitable and there's no doubt the teams will clash many times throughout the game. The members of the pro-registration group will be decided as player characters are picked, and will be made NPC's. So far the only NPC's are Captain America, Iron Man and the free agents list who don't support either team for one reason or another.

Rules

1. Do not cause or participate in drama - In a game revolving around PvP conflict is key. Characters are encouraged to disagree and fight. Players OOC are not. If you have an issue with another players posts IC or OOC let me know, or if it's severe contact staff. Should be simple enough but I'm really enforcing a no tolerance policy on this.
2. Do not godmode - Whether you're fighting NPC's or PC's do not control or assume the actions of another character. You're highly likely to get it wrong, and even if not it takes away from their ability to play their own character or mine to portray NPC's consistently.
3. PvP Understanding - All characters have strengths and weaknesses. They will have successes and failures and suffer the results of both. If your PC decides to storm the Outcasts solo, they do not have plot armour and will die. In essence nobody can always win, and fights should be played out freeform and if the result is disputed I will have to decide. If I do, what I say is final.
Story-Crafting - This is not a competition. It is an effort to tell a story collaboratively. Sometimes losing makes more sense, fits the narrative and can continue into a turn around victory later on. If you're here to 'Win' OOC, you're in the wrong place. Friendly rivalry is encouraged and IC everyone should try to win, but there's no real life prize for it.
Smut - Not at all the focus. Any smut should be taken to 1x1 threads, no ifs or buts. The game threads are for story-related posts.

Character Creation

All PC's will either be members of the anti-registration team, led by Captain America or the pro-registration team lead by Iron Man. Almost all canon Marvel heroes are available as are many anti-heroes and villains capable of doing good. Options for selection include the Avengers, X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Defenders, Fantastic Four or Inhumans. A fairly long list of potential characters is listed in spoiler tags below but many others are welcome. Characters listed as free-agents are not available for reasons of morality or power level. All characters need to be 18+. Completed character sheets should be submitted to me via PM so they can be discussed. You're welcome to us canon characters in backstories however if that canon character becomes someone else's PC you may need to make alterations and try to work around each other. If you have any questions about the world's history or character creation in general feel free to PM me.

Potential Characters List

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The Hulk
Venom
Vision
Black Bolt
Psylocke
Cyclops
Bishop
Wolverine
X-23
Nightcrawler
Sunspot
Polaris
Warpath
Dazzler
Shadowcat
Chamber
Domino
Rogue
Vulcan
Darwin
Wolfsbane
Storm
Gambit
Beast
Colossus
Magik
Prodigy
Spider Man
The Thing
Mr. Fantastic
Invisible Woman
Falcon
Human Torch
Blade
Hellcat
Spider Woman
The Winter Soldier
Prowler
Black Cat
Captain Britain
Black Panther
Daredevil
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones
Iron Fist
Black Widow
Namor
Hawkeye
Wasp
Ant Man
War Machine
Star Lord
Captain Marvel
Drax
Gamora
Mantis

[float=right][img height=300]https://placeholdit.imgix.net/~text?txtsize=33&txt=350%C3%97300&w=350&h=300[/img][/float]
[center][size=18pt][glow=blue,2,300][u][b]Superhero Name[/b][/u][/glow][/size][/center]

[size=14pt][u][b]The Basics[/b][/u][/size]
[b]Legal Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] 18+
[b]Gender:[/b] Anything goes here
[b]Nationality: [/b] Where were they born?
[b]Occupation:[/b] Mostly superhero but some may have other careers outside heroism.
[b]Affiliation:[/b] Pro-Registration or Anti-Registration?

[hr]

[size=14pt][u][b]Physical Description[/b][/u][/size]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Face Claim:[/b] A real person is preferred but optional. Artwork faceclaims will need a good visual description and art of a reasonable quality.
[b]General Appearance:[/b] How do they dress normally? Do they have a costume they wear to use their powers when training, or that they'll use to fight?

[hr]

[center][size=14pt][b][u]Personality and Background[/u][/b][/size][/center]

[center][b][u]Personality[/u][/b] [/center]
At least a paragraph describing what they are like as a person.

[center][b][u]Background[/u][/b][/center]
At least 3 paragraphs describing their life up to this point. Should include how they attained their powers and their experience with heroics.

[hr]

[center][size=14pt][b][u]Superpowers[/u][/b][/size][/center]

[b]Power Name:[/b]An explanation of an ability and it's uses. Simple powers such as superhuman strength don't need specific detailing or numbers, more complex or unique ones should give an idea of potential applications.

[hr]

[center][size=14pt][u][b]Skills and Equipment[/b][/u][/size][/center]

[center][u][b]Skills[/b][/u][/center]

[b]Skill Name:[/b] A talent the character possesses such as expert marksmanship or stunt driving.

[center][u][b]Equipment[/b][/u][/center]

[b]Equipment Name:[/b] An equivalent of Thor's hammer Mjolnir. Any signature gear can be included here. Equipment doesn't need to be filled in if your character has none.

[hr]

[center][size=14pt][u][b][b]Weaknesses[/b][/b][/u][/size][/center]

All characters should have at least one weakness to their powers/abilities and one flaw as a person. More would be encouraged.

[hr]

[center][size=14pt][u][b]Other[/b][/u][/size][/center]

This is room for any details you want to add to your character sheet. Character relations can be placed here, or simply anything that didn't fit anywhere else.

Totoro

Important Teams and People

Team Anti-Registration

Members List
Captain America
Recruiting

Led from day one by Captain America this team believes that the Government should not have absolute authority over super-heroes. They believe superheroes have done more good for the world than bad and that the registration act would limit them and leave them vulnerable to infiltration and cause the wrongful arrest of many good people. The best people to govern superheroes are superheroes themselves, and Captain America is confident that every person on his side is a person fighting for free-will, peace and freedom. The team are currently outlaws in the United States and must stay under the radar whenever possible, keeping a low profile and making sure all operations are quick and efficient. Having said that even if the Pro-Registration team could find them it's uncertain whether they would attempt an all out assault and mass arrests. Captain America hopes they wouldn't bring down that level of violence but he's not sure. The Tony Stark he knew and worked beside is lost to him and he's no longer sure what he might do in the name of the law. The team's main goal is still a peaceful, amicable resolution to the conflict but even the most optimistic members are doubtful that can be achieved.

Team Pro-Registration

Members List
Iron Man
War Machine
Recruiting

Since the incident Iron Man has concluded wholeheartedly that the only right thing to do is to register and monitor superheroes. Just as the Government does with soldiers, police officers firefighters and paramedics. A world filled with self-regulating, unpredictable heroes acting on their personal interpretation of justice is simply not an option. He put up with Captain America's naive optimism for many years when they were side by side on the Avengers but now Iron Man has fallen back to his hard-line viewpoints. He and his team have full backing from the U.S Government and have been making arrests since implementation. No hero has managed to resist arrest for long in the face of the masterfully planned operations run by Tony Stark. He's become hugely popular with the American people for doing what's right by vulnerable civilians and making sure no monster like Nitro can ever cause a disaster like that again. His team consists of a multitude of heroes and villains, many of whom have been spurred on by rage at Nitro's actions.

The Outcasts

Members List
Magneto
Juggernaut
Toad
Blob
Sabertooth
Mastermind
Vanisher
Avalanche
Pyro
Lady Deathstrike
Destiny
Multiple Man
Lorelei
Green Goblin
Doctor Octopus
Mysterio
Sandman
Electro
Tiger Shark
Abomination
Crossbones
Vulture
Bullseye
Mandarin
Lizard
Taskmaster
Kingpin
Blizzard
Morbius
Rhino
Silver Samurai
Ironmonger
Kraven the Hunter
Scarlet Spider
Scorpion
Hobgoblin

There is no time greater than one of strife, chaos and misfortune to unite the downtrodden and unfortunate in a singular goal. While Captain America and his team fight back against the superhero registration act but aim for peace the Outcasts goal is overthrowing the human Government. When Erik Lehnsherr heard he would be asked to register and, in his eyes, become a puppet of the state, he was enraged. It took days for him to calm enough to seize the opportunity. He began starting rallies, drawing superhumans from all walks of life to his side. They, like him, were sick of being ruled over by the fearful and weak. He sought to take charge himself and create peace through power, enforcing the law with his loyal allies. Their movement was slow to start but has now begun explosively expanding, gaining vast amounts of support from superhumans like mutants and inhumans, as well as many former villains deciding this is their opportunity to be the one's on the right side. Erik has promised nothing but death for anyone who opposes his organisation and has now expanded to completely control a military base he attacked at the start of the conflict, which the Outcasts now operate from. The U.S Government needs them dealt with but with the sheer power they possess it's a huge risk to take a fight to them.

The Government

Members List
President Curtis M. Yates
Bolivar Trask
Nimrod
The Sentinels
Senator Essex

The body backing the Superhero Registration Initiative the Government are deeply invested in this vast conflict on their own soil. Although the president tries to remain sympathetic to both sides he has spoken out several times against Captain America's actions. He believes it is impossible for America to be safe with such vastly dangerous beings wandering unchecked and free to behave as they see fit. Although he condemned their actions many years ago he is once again in talks with Bolivar Trask and his Sentinel program, along with William Stryker. He is debating extreme measures that may be necessary should Iron Man's team be unsuccessful in bringing in both the anti-registration groups and the wildly dangerous outcasts. For his part Trask's constructing updated Sentinels ready to deal with heroes on a wider scale instead of just mutants, with Nimrod being rebuilt stronger than before. Senator Essex is working with Stryker to see if the Weapon-X Program can present any answers to the conflict.

Free Agents

Members List
Thor - Dealing with matters of the nine realms.
Sentry - Has lost his mind and mentally blocked his own powers.
Dr. Doom - Ruling his won nation.
Gladiator - With the Shi'ar.
Beta-Ray Bill - Far away in space.
Ares - Dealing with matters of the Gods.
Loki - Causing trouble in the nine realms.
Hyperion - Staying impartial.
Silver Surfer - Being Galactus's Herald.
Doctor Strange - Defending the world.
Ghost Rider - Hunting sinners, taking no sides.
Blue Marvel - Staying a pacifist for now.
Carnage - Far too insane for any team.
Charles Xavier - Maintaining his Mansion as an area for peace talks and a neutral zone.
Deadpool - Being Deadpool.

These are people, heroes or villains, who have chosen not to take part in the conflict. Whether they cannot decide on either side, consider themselves separate from this conflict or wish to do something else they aren't yet fighting for anyone's team. Examples could range from uncertain heroes who are undecided on which team is in the right and looking for a sign, villains who simply wish to continue breaking the laws and care little for what the Government thinks is right or wrong and particularly powerful or otherwordly superhumans who do not feel this is their battle to fight. Some of them may potentially be drawn into the conflict either permanently or temporarily by significant enough events. For example Thor doesn't currently believe that he should intervene in the politics of humans, but if tragedies and conflict worsen and it becomes a threat to humanity itself he will look to end the conflict one way or another. Each member has a brief idea of why they're not involved or what they're doing.

Kuroneko

I was watching this in your world building thread. Color me interested :-)
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Totoro

Quote from: Kuroneko on December 04, 2017, 07:21:28 PM
I was watching this in your world building thread. Color me interested :-)

Made me self-conscious now!

Glad to have your interest though.

Kuroneko

Ooops, sorry  :-\ . I sometimes glance through there to see what people are working on and this caught my eye ;)

Totoro

Quote from: Kuroneko on December 04, 2017, 07:36:00 PM
Ooops, sorry  :-\ . I sometimes glance through there to see what people are working on and this caught my eye ;)

My self-confidence can take it.

I get up to a lot of silly ideas in there from time to time. Sometimes they work out, glad this one caught your eye. Did you have any ideas? Or a team you back. I know some people have some really strong opinions on team cap vs. team stark.

Mathim

Quote from: Sun Wukong on December 04, 2017, 07:24:02 PM
Made me self-conscious now!

Glad to have your interest though.

Your username is Sun Wukong? You would have been great in my Fairy Tale Superheroes game (but someone already claimed that character).

Anyway, color me interested in Daredevil, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist or Ghost Rider. I'll wait til more people show up to make my final choice.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Totoro

Quote from: Mathim on December 04, 2017, 07:42:18 PM
Your username is Sun Wukong? You would have been great in my Fairy Tale Superheroes game (but someone already claimed that character).

Anyway, color me interested in Daredevil, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist or Ghost Rider. I'll wait til more people show up to make my final choice.

I know, Juggtacular mentioned. I like the name and character but I don't know that I'd play them.

Strange and Rider are staying out of it as free agents/NPC's. Mixture of morality and power levels as the reasons. Any of the other three would be very welcome though.

Kuroneko

Quote from: Sun Wukong on December 04, 2017, 07:38:58 PM
My self-confidence can take it.

I get up to a lot of silly ideas in there from time to time. Sometimes they work out, glad this one caught your eye. Did you have any ideas? Or a team you back. I know some people have some really strong opinions on team cap vs. team stark.

Team Cap, all the way. I was thinking Callisto, if she's acceptable. I have sort of an alt take on her history, since not a lot is mentioned in the comics. She's not really a hero, but would definitely be anti-registration. If she wouldn't sit well with Steve, I could do Marrow instead, with powers control.

Backdraft

I'd be interested in playing Peter Parker Spider-Man, but I think my plate might be full at the moment. I'll bookmark this and think about it.

Life in Color

Did you throw Hellcat on that list just to tempt me?

<3

TheBlackThrone

PVP? You got me. I'm going to be on Captain America's team for this ride.  :-)
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Totoro

Quote from: Kuroneko on December 04, 2017, 09:18:48 PM
Team Cap, all the way. I was thinking Callisto, if she's acceptable. I have sort of an alt take on her history, since not a lot is mentioned in the comics. She's not really a hero, but would definitely be anti-registration. If she wouldn't sit well with Steve, I could do Marrow instead, with powers control.

Yeah I think Calisto'd be welcome. I'm trying to make Steve as welcoming as possible within reason. If they're not a free agent, Outcast or someone I forgot who's straight up evil they're probably welcome.

Quote from: Backdraft on December 04, 2017, 10:47:52 PM
I'd be interested in playing Peter Parker Spider-Man, but I think my plate might be full at the moment. I'll bookmark this and think about it.

Totally welcome, let me know either way.

Quote from: Life in Color on December 05, 2017, 01:20:34 AM
Did you throw Hellcat on that list just to tempt me?

<3

I threw everyone I could think of on there. But I think you're responsible for me remembering her, so partially.

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on December 05, 2017, 02:41:05 AM
PVP? You got me. I'm going to be on Captain America's team for this ride.  :-)

Everyone's team cap!

Quote from: persephone325 on December 05, 2017, 03:53:56 AM
I would like to express my interest.

Glad to have your interest. I think I can guess who's team you'll be on, too.

Mathim

Well damn, now I'm thinking my Ant-Man should be pro-registration.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Totoro

Quote from: Mathim on December 05, 2017, 08:19:12 AM
Well damn, now I'm thinking my Ant-Man should be pro-registration.

We need a few people on team Stark!

I'm not actually sure on two things, one's character limit and the other's restricting teams. IE making players keep all PC's of theirs on one team. I don't think I'll do that though. I'm thinking probably a 2-3 character limit, so the teams feel quite fleshed out.

Dhi

Was Jessica Drew a skrull imposter during this time, or was that a different story arc?

Totoro

Quote from: Dhi on December 05, 2017, 09:21:38 AM
Was Jessica Drew a skrull imposter during this time, or was that a different story arc?

No clue but nobody's a skrull in this universe. It's just a standalone Civil War story arc so she can be normal.

Backdraft

My biggest hangup about playing Spidey—despite him being my favorite superhero—is that I'm very out of date on his mythos. I remember being shocked when I picked up Spider-Verse that he's apparently a millionaire CEO now.

Totoro

Quote from: Backdraft on December 05, 2017, 09:49:04 AM
My biggest hangup about playing Spidey—despite him being my favorite superhero—is that I'm very out of date on his mythos. I remember being shocked when I picked up Spider-Verse that he's apparently a millionaire CEO now.

This is it's own continuity and your own version of the character. So it can be old school, new or wherever really. Goes for everyone else too I'm cool with genderswaps or ethnicity swaps, anything like that's fine.

Dhi

This stuff is rebooted every year. I know Jessica Drew had a baby in 2015, and after that I can only assume it was cloned, traveled back in time from the future to replaced her as Spider-Woman, only to be wished out of existence by Mephisto.

Totoro

Quote from: Dhi on December 05, 2017, 10:07:41 AM
This stuff is rebooted every year. I know Jessica Drew had a baby in 2015, and after that I can only assume it was cloned, traveled back in time from the future to replaced her as Spider-Woman, only to be wished out of existence by Mephisto.

I think a more conventional origin would probably fit better.

Kuroneko

Quote from: Sun Wukong on December 05, 2017, 04:26:29 AM
Yeah I think Calisto'd be welcome. I'm trying to make Steve as welcoming as possible within reason. If they're not a free agent, Outcast or someone I forgot who's straight up evil they're probably welcome.

Awesome. I'll get to work on a sheet, then  :-)

Dhi

I'm potentially interested in writing Spider-Woman or Psylocke and would be happy to join the pro-registration team.

Totoro

Quote from: Kuroneko on December 05, 2017, 10:50:20 AM
Awesome. I'll get to work on a sheet, then  :-)

Looking forward to seeing it.

Quote from: Dhi on December 05, 2017, 11:00:26 AM
I'm potentially interested in writing Spider-Woman or Psylocke and would be happy to join the pro-registration team.

Either one's good by me and that's probably the less popular team, I think.