Canadian Federal Election. Who do you support?

Started by Wyrd, April 30, 2011, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrd

As you can see I've got my vote chosen. Who are you voting for and what are thoughts on the candidates and the election
Ragtime Dandies!

Cold Heritage

NDP.

I'd vote Liberal, but they really seem to have lost their way after they lost Chretien.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Jude

Conservatives claim they want to eliminate the deficit and balance the budget, but they refuse to raise taxes and aren't talking about concrete, sizable cuts.  Waste will not account for everything they want to do, and a lot of their other initiatives will cost money.  Strengthening law enforcement requires money.  They're putting all of their eggs in the basket of economic growth through market forces, thus increased revenues, and that's a gamble.  Add to it their... somewhat questionable ability to exercise power with temperance and restraint?  And I think their initiatives are unrealistic and contradictory.

Liberals are, again, out of touch with reality when it comes to what they promise and how they're going to pay for it.  I thought their proposals were even more unrealistic than the conservatives.

NDP isn't that much different than the liberals in practice, but unlike them they don't even pretend to be interested in fiscal responsibility.  They claim that cap and trade won't raise gasoline prices, which is absolutely absurd.  Worst of all I see them borrowing rhetoric straight from US politics in many instances, and everyone who is versed in US & Canadian politics knows the US is much further to the right than Canada in general, so it just comes off as ill-suited and insulting in my opinion.

Out of all of them, I think if I could, I'd vote liberal.  They seem the least of 3 evils right now, I just don't trust the conservatives to govern with any degree of self-restraint and adherence to the rules anymore.  I currently live in the US though, so, I don't get to vote. :p

Wyrd

Conservatives finally get a majority Gov and NDP is now the official opposition! PLus: NDP destroys the Bloc in all across Quebec. Eat the you separatist bastards!       
Ragtime Dandies!

Cold Heritage

Guess we're gonna end up with metered internet usage and all kinds of pro-business legislation.

Wyrd

the Harper Gov is against metered internet usage and has already overturned the CRTC's attempt. How do you not know this? It's already been said mouths before the election in most major Canadian news papers and Yahoo that the Tories are siding with the consumers. Please get your facts straight and don't assume anything with out any evidence.

Heres one article from the Globe and Mail. 
Ragtime Dandies!

I was personally hoping for an NDP minority, with a Conservative opposition.  I knew the Liberals were a sinking ship this time around, but I had no idea how badly they took a hit.  And the Bloc too!  Oh my!

Even though I didn't get what I was hoping for, it was very, very nice to see the Green Party finally get a seat. :)

Zakharra

Green Party? What's that stand for? 'Green' energy, renewable resource use?

Wyrd

Quote from: Newbie on May 08, 2011, 06:36:04 AM
I was personally hoping for an NDP minority, with a Conservative opposition.  I knew the Liberals were a sinking ship this time around, but I had no idea how badly they took a hit.  And the Bloc too!  Oh my!

Even though I didn't get what I was hoping for, it was very, very nice to see the Green Party finally get a seat. :)

Yeah, Green getting it's first seat is a HUGE deal. all in all I'm very happy the way the election went. I'm happy to see a majority gov for once in a long while. NDP as official opposition is also very refreshing.

Quote from: Zakharra on May 08, 2011, 09:52:05 AM
Green Party? What's that stand for? 'Green' energy, renewable resource use?
Pretty much, yeah. Though, they're never taken seriously and always finish dead last. The only people the I know who vote green only want pot legalized.   

Ragtime Dandies!

Zakharra

How can you get green renewable power in Canada? I don't think the nation has enough rivers that could be damned (if the Greens are like enviromentalists here, they'd want every dam broken to restore the 'natural flow of water' anyways) to provide electricity, solar power isn't very likely and I'm not sure about wind.

What sort of agenda will the Green party push?

Wyrd

We have more rivers and water then almost every country in the world. But I don't think thats one of the green party's platforms, to dam every river. :P

Here is their platform from the 2011 election if you want to see what the Green party really does. I'm an NDP supporter myself, so I've never really looked into their policies. But I know their not just a bunch of tree huggers, they have smart plans for the economy and actually have research to back it up.
Ragtime Dandies!

Quote from: Wyrd on May 08, 2011, 01:57:23 PM
Here is their platform from the 2011 election if you want to see what the Green party really does. I'm an NDP supporter myself, so I've never really looked into their policies. But I know their not just a bunch of tree huggers, they have smart plans for the economy and actually have research to back it up.
Exactly!  I think the Green party is the most underrated party we have.  Not necessarily better than any of the other major political parties, but I would say about on par.

Oniya

Quote from: Wyrd on May 08, 2011, 01:57:23 PM
But I know their not just a bunch of tree huggers, they have smart plans for the economy and actually have research to back it up.

Could you guys, like, send a few of these people down on a diplomatic mission or something?  We could use a couple of smart, researched plans for the economy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sel Nar

Quote from: Oniya on May 08, 2011, 03:43:55 PM
Could you guys, like, send a few of these people down on a diplomatic mission or something?  We could use a couple of smart, researched plans for the economy.

Would be easier to let us Annex the entire USA and dump all the debt onto spots nobody likes. like Tampa. or Los Angeles.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Wyrd on May 04, 2011, 03:25:55 PM
Please get your facts straight and don't assume anything with out any evidence.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a political party can say one thing and do another, Wyrd.

Wyrd

Quote from: Cold Heritage on May 08, 2011, 04:02:04 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a political party can say one thing and do another, Wyrd.

Cold! They have already overturned it and put the CRTC in their place. The Tories didn't just say the were against metered internet use,(Which I don't think you know the full story on) they did away with the whole thing. Take your ignorance elsewhere.
Ragtime Dandies!

Revolverman

Quote from: Wyrd on May 09, 2011, 05:07:39 PM
Cold! They have already overturned is and put the CRTC in their place. The Tories didn't just say the were against metered internet use,(Which I don't think you know the full story on) they did away with the whole thing. Take your ignorance elsewhere.

Yes, I got my problems with the Tories, but they did tell the CRTC to change their ruling, or they will change it for them.