The ol' 'having technical difficulties with our host' error

Started by alahendra, June 21, 2006, 10:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alahendra

Has anybody else been getting the technical difficulties error a lot tonight?  (By a lot, I mean it happens probably 2 out of 3 times that I post).  And the site seems to be slow too...Is it just me? :)
"You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan
Designed and directed by his red right hand..."

Os & Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5351.0

Atari

That same thing happens to me quite a bit. Wish I could help. All I can offer is click back to your post copy it and go back another page....click reply again and paste the copied material. Then post again...that usually works... gah...did that make sense? *giggles*

alahendra

Actually I discovered that if I just click back, then refresh the page, I don't have to copy and paste.  I'm using Firefox though. I'm not sure that would work in Internet Exploder Explorer.

Atari

hmmm I will have to try that. :) Firefox here as well.

Hunter

Exactly what kind of technical error are you getting?

Vekseid

It's usually (32) Broken Pipe errors, which means the client (ie, any of us) broke off the connection.  There's not much that can be done about it.  Most people with broadband won't be getting this, though, and another error has popped up recently and I accidentally deleted the logfile containing it :-/

Will see what I can do.

alahendra

I think it might have been a temporary glitch for me anyway...it hasn't happened once yet today (and I am on a broadband connection)

Ellyssa

Quote from: Vekseid on June 22, 2006, 06:23:05 PM
It's usually (32) Broken Pipe errors, which means the client (ie, any of us) broke off the connection.  There's not much that can be done about it.  Most people with broadband won't be getting this, though, and another error has popped up recently and I accidentally deleted the logfile containing it :-/

Will see what I can do.

Accidentally my rear end! He's trying to keel all of us!

I haven't got much in the way of errors either, although I get a timeout now and then, weirdly. Oh, and my old problem of that mark-all-read thing marking all pages read and then dumping me to the main forum page instead of to the unread page. :) Which is probably just a problem on my end, though.

kylie

I've been getting that on and off for quite a while.  I use Firefox and a Cable service. 

Usually, I can just hit back and resend until it goes through normally. It doesn't lose my text from the draft when I go straight back. Sometimes it takes a few tries, though.

alahendra

When I just hit the back button, my text is still there, but I can't resend.  When I click the post button, nothing happens.  I have to refresh the page (which still keeps my text there) and then click post.

kylie

I'm getting this a lot again lately.  Even the resends and refreshes don't seem to work as well as before. 

Is it just me and too much stuff on my hard drive slowing it down?  Or is it all around?

Lyria

Not just you, I have been getting this a whole lot more lately, too. And like you, refreshing and backing hav not worked as well as they used to either.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Atari

I have been having problems as well. :( have tried to post a few times over the past few weeks and it has hassled me....

Vekseid

Argh.

I know that, if you're on dialup, there's a timeout where your post has to be completed in a few seconds (20 I think), or it will just error out.  If you have a long post, and/or Elliquiy is being slow, you should consider waiting.

Anyway, I'll need to check the error logs again.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lyria

Overall it's not that bad of an inconvience. I usually just leave the site and then come back to it, and it is clear again. For the record, if it helps or matters, I am on a high speed cable connection, and the errors lately have been happening just through manuevering around the site, not just when posting.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

Vekseid

Quote from: Lyria on September 25, 2006, 06:08:00 PM
Overall it's not that bad of an inconvience. I usually just leave the site and then come back to it, and it is clear again. For the record, if it helps or matters, I am on a high speed cable connection, and the errors lately have been happening just through manuevering around the site, not just when posting.

Hmm, I wonder if someone else has a broken avatar again.

kylie

I'm on cable too.  We go through a local router that occasionally trips, but I don't think that would cause this.

*laughs* I don't think I ever write an in-game post in less than 20 sec.  But that's good to know.  Maybe a whole new entry to the forum is in order then, not just a refresh.

I just posted one that took on the second try without reinserting the text or anything...  *crosses fingers*

Wonder if it might be related to the length of the post, or the absolute time one has been connected to a given part of the site.  Not that I really have any clue.

Lancis

Error 500 (Server error): We are experiencing some technical difficulties with our host, sorry for the inconvenience ;_; These issues are usually temporary and will go away in a few minutes.

this is the error i am seeing...
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Elvi

I've been bouncing on and off the site for most of the day and haven't had any error messages.....it's wierd that some do and others have no problems at all....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Vekseid

When you perform an action on this site, with FCGI, it has 30 seconds to finish.  There can be a number of reasons for it to break:

1: Your connection is hiccupy and slow, eventually causing the timeout
2: You are posting a very large post over a slow connection (shouldn't, really, but...)
3: You or someone else is uploading a large file during a period of high activity.

Eventually, we may have to get a new host or find some other dedicated server arrangement for the forums :-/  Unfortunately I can only afford so much at the moment :-/