(Not happening) Making Elliquiy more open and less specifically adult

Started by Vekseid, April 18, 2008, 03:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

I think we're at our sane limit of forums as is...

Hunter

NightBird

I'm admit a bit of a disadvantage, having problems with the internet connectivity in the hotel, so I've barely had a chance to look around, but I'm feeling very uncomfortable with the idea of a vastly broadened community seeing some of what I posted on my past. I wrote what I did with a strong sense of trust in the community. I feel at home here largely because it's a vetted community of adults. I agree with everyone about a sister site being a MUCH better idea... although, I have to be honest, I doubt I'd participate there much at all. I love this place because it's all adults who've had to apply to join. I'll look around later about the reorganization...

Vekseid

Quote from: NightBird on April 19, 2008, 10:25:26 PM
I'm admit a bit of a disadvantage, having problems with the internet connectivity in the hotel, so I've barely had a chance to look around, but I'm feeling very uncomfortable with the idea of a vastly broadened community seeing some of what I posted on my past. I wrote what I did with a strong sense of trust in the community. I feel at home here largely because it's a vetted community of adults. I agree with everyone about a sister site being a MUCH better idea... although, I have to be honest, I doubt I'd participate there much at all. I love this place because it's all adults who've had to apply to join. I'll look around later about the reorganization...

I will never make the adult rps or stories public, don't worry about that. I do want to make some of the completely non-sexual games that didn't go anywhere public, but for that, see my post in the on topic forum.

EGFrost

Quote from: Vekseid on April 18, 2008, 06:02:21 PM
A sister site is an interesting idea. It's not so much that I couldn't do it or that it would cost much more, but rather at that point the sister site is being pitted directly against Myth-Weavers.

Isn't this exactly the same thing that would happen if you genericized the main site?  I don't think we can (or even want to) compete with Myth Weavers, by either means.  And we risk a great deal of the identity and draw that we have now, with either option.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed a couple of games on Myth Weavers, and it's fine at what it does.  But it's not what I want this site to be.  I come here for mature players, and people who share my interests.  If I want generic gaming, or if anyone here does, they're certainly free to go to Myth Weavers, or RPOL, or keep it here.  I don't have any problems with the generic games here.  I don't think anybody minds them, as they were.  But that's not what I come here for.

So basically, I vote No to any restructuring of the site.  I think a sister site is less objectionable to me, but seems rather pointless, for our current audience.  Why is more linkage a better thing?  Are we having difficulties meeting donations, recently?  Or are the people crying our for more possible partners, because they're bored or jaded?  Or do people who want generic gaming feel discriminated against?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  (The focus of the site, that is.  I think a couple of other changes, like a male equivalent of the sirens, or even putting the players wanted threads public might be fine.)  But I love Elliquiy just the way it is.  I'd rather have an intimate coffee shop where I know everybody's name, than that they totally reconfigure to try to compete with Starbucks.  If I want starbucks, I go to starbucks.  I /like/ the fact that even as a relatively new member, it's not hard to put people with screen names here.  Unless there's a pressing reason to change, keep it the way that brought all of us here, and keeps us here.
“It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.” - Abraham Lincoln

Apple of Eris

I admit, I don't like the idea of 'opening up' as it were. I prefer E as the sort of smallish friendly place it was when I first joined. There's already such a swarm of people coming that I don't even know who anyone is anymore, and well, I feel like E just isn't the friendly group of people who all were kind and supportive of one another I remember. It's not necessarily all the new users, I thinks it's a combo of things, but I feel like we're losing something we used to have here. In a way the expansion makes the site feel less 'safe' to me, and honestly that's one of the reasons (but not the major one - work would be the real killer) as to why I've been becoming something more of an E-recluse.

I'm very much against making e a combo adult/non-adult site, I like the fact that there is an age limit and intro area, I think it helps encourage at least some sense of maturity. And in my opinion (although I'm hardly the most mature person here) I think that is something that we're losing.

And really, E occupies its niche well and should keep the focus on what it does best.

-sorry that this is all disjointed and poorly thought out, I'm tired and distracted. I'll try and fix it some other time :)
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Sugarman (hal)

I actually refuse to do role-play with anyone under 18... kids tend to go off the deep end in games. Ego and all. If a second "open" site gets going I most likely will stay clear of it.
"And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love you make."

My On/Off's

Vekseid

Quote from: EGFrost on April 19, 2008, 11:12:08 PM
Isn't this exactly the same thing that would happen if you genericized the main site?  I don't think we can (or even want to) compete with Myth Weavers, by either means.  And we risk a great deal of the identity and draw that we have now, with either option.

I'm already planning on including a number of Myth Weaver's features and some that they don't (and hey, we have WAP access). It may take awhile but I'm not really worried about the feature arena. Competing in that scope is not really the problem, outside of a few things I don't want to do like custom forum creation. The current setup does seem to help newer games to be more active.

QuoteDon't get me wrong, I've enjoyed a couple of games on Myth Weavers, and it's fine at what it does.  But it's not what I want this site to be.  I come here for mature players, and people who share my interests.  If I want generic gaming, or if anyone here does, they're certainly free to go to Myth Weavers, or RPOL, or keep it here.  I don't have any problems with the generic games here.  I don't think anybody minds them, as they were.  But that's not what I come here for.

That seems to be the general consensus.

QuoteSo basically, I vote No to any restructuring of the site.  I think a sister site is less objectionable to me, but seems rather pointless, for our current audience.

Possibly, certainly something that looks like this is lower on the priority scale. I am certainly redesigning this site, but the purpose of this thread is to get a feel for the future focus of this site. Obviously the mature only feel is important to people and in any well run site the community is the boss, for the most part.

QuoteWhy is more linkage a better thing?  Are we having difficulties meeting donations, recently?

If it weren't for the growth we had over the past year, I would have shut the site down rather than ask for donations.

That growth was due in no small part to Google, MSN/Live, Yahoo when it's feeling smart, and referrals from other sites. That happens because Elliquiy has links. We seem to have a small percentage growth per month growth and that's good, but I need to push at people to help it continue. So *push* : )

QuoteOr are the people crying our for more possible partners, because they're bored or jaded?

Please don't load questions.  Yes, there are people looking for more partners. Sometimes their favored partner just has his/her hands full. Other times there simply aren't people with their specific kink. Or maybe they just don't 'click' with the one person who does. Occasionally they can't handle playing with each other because their posting rates are so different.

So yes, people would like a wider selection of partners, and I would like to facilitate this while keeping the current gated community feel. It's not like a flood of new users would be a bane, here.

QuoteOr do people who want generic gaming feel discriminated against? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  (The focus of the site, that is.  I think a couple of other changes, like a male equivalent of the sirens, or even putting the players wanted threads public might be fine.)

The reason for the female sirens is a -whole- 'nother issue and if you want it bring it up in On Topic or something.

QuoteBut I love Elliquiy just the way it is.  I'd rather have an intimate coffee shop where I know everybody's name, than that they totally reconfigure to try to compete with Starbucks.  If I want starbucks, I go to starbucks.  I /like/ the fact that even as a relatively new member, it's not hard to put people with screen names here.  Unless there's a pressing reason to change, keep it the way that brought all of us here, and keeps us here.

Well, obviously making the site more generic is no go, and that's fine.

I do want to make the site better, though, which will mean some changes, pretty much all of which have been discussed elsewhere on this forum) - but those are different topics.

Hunter