News:

Main Menu

Anime

Started by Null, December 15, 2013, 10:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azuresun

Quote from: Sain on March 02, 2019, 12:24:38 PM
Kind of like that, though the full explanation is a bit longer.

From jojopedia.

Thanks, but I was looking for an explanation based on stuff we've seen so far, rather anything that might risk spoiling future episodes.

Sain

Oh no poor Dororo  :'( I need a happy ending for this story.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Sessha

Quote from: Mirrah on March 02, 2019, 06:44:59 AM
I hope a new season for Log Horizon comes out eventually.

You will be waiting on that one for quite awhile. Last I heard the author of the series was on house arrest for something like tax evasion of something. So most publishers won't touch his work with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Snake

Quote from: Sessha on March 04, 2019, 03:40:11 PM
You will be waiting on that one for quite awhile. Last I heard the author of the series was on house arrest for something like tax evasion of something. So most publishers won't touch his work with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole.

Well that's some BS; it was a good series.

ReijiTabibito

I'm probably going to regret throwing my hat into this particular ring, but here goes:

Is anyone watching Kaguya-Sama: Love is War?  I've read the first few (I think I was up to V4 from my local library interloan program) volumes, and have been watching it for the adaptation value thus far.

Mirrah

Quote from: Sessha on March 04, 2019, 03:40:11 PM

Ah, damn. The things that happen. Oh well, I'll be patient. If it happens, it happens; if not, oh well. Thank you for the heads up about it, Sessha! :3

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on March 04, 2019, 06:28:26 PM
I'm probably going to regret throwing my hat into this particular ring, but here goes:

Is anyone watching Kaguya-Sama: Love is War?  I've read the first few (I think I was up to V4 from my local library interloan program) volumes, and have been watching it for the adaptation value thus far.

I am behind on it, but I have been watching it as I'm able. I find it funny and cute thus far. I haven't read the manga though. Does it move quickly?
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Mirrah on March 04, 2019, 11:36:24 PM
I am behind on it, but I have been watching it as I'm able. I find it funny and cute thus far. I haven't read the manga though. Does it move quickly?

The manga?  Yes...and no.  For the record, most of the episodes in Love Is War have covered 3 chapters of manga, and each book has 10 chapters in total.  That said, with the exception of one episode, they cover them in an anachronistic order.  Now, given Love Is War's premise, that totally works, but it is something worth noting.  Episode 1, for example, adapts chapters 1, 12, and 5 of the manga, in that order.  So you start in Vol.1, jump to Vol.2, and then back to 1.  The first three episodes jump back and forth between the first two volumes, with Ep.4 adapting the last 4 chapters of Volume 2 - the only episode with 4 chapters and the only one that plays them in order.

After that, the progression (mostly) steadies out, starting with Vol.3 of the manga, though you will find it occasionally jumping ahead to the next one.

So, yes, given that you're covering multiple manga chapters per episode (which really isn't all that unique for manga adaptations), but no, because...well, you watch it, you know what its premise is.

Mirrah

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on March 05, 2019, 06:01:08 AM
The manga?  Yes...and no.  For the record, most of the episodes in Love Is War have covered 3 chapters of manga, and each book has 10 chapters in total.  That said, with the exception of one episode, they cover them in an anachronistic order.  Now, given Love Is War's premise, that totally works, but it is something worth noting.  Episode 1, for example, adapts chapters 1, 12, and 5 of the manga, in that order.  So you start in Vol.1, jump to Vol.2, and then back to 1.  The first three episodes jump back and forth between the first two volumes, with Ep.4 adapting the last 4 chapters of Volume 2 - the only episode with 4 chapters and the only one that plays them in order.

After that, the progression (mostly) steadies out, starting with Vol.3 of the manga, though you will find it occasionally jumping ahead to the next one.

So, yes, given that you're covering multiple manga chapters per episode (which really isn't all that unique for manga adaptations), but no, because...well, you watch it, you know what its premise is.

That is interesting. I'll peek at the manga when I get the chance next. Thank you, ReijiTabibito! :D
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Life in Color

Mm'kay. Can of worms question incoming.

I decided to subscribe to Crunchy Roll. I haven't watched anime with any regularity since the early 2000s. My favorite animes are Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing. I'm already watching Sword Art Online.

Gimme some things to start back with.

<3

Sessha

Quote from: Life in Color on March 12, 2019, 11:02:27 AM

I decided to subscribe to Crunchy Roll. I haven't watched anime with any regularity since the early 2000s. My favorite animes are Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing. I'm already watching Sword Art Online.

<3

Ooh plenty of titles to think about. I would also suggest Log Horizon. It's much like SAO but not as mercurial in it's nature. If Funimation hadn't recently pulled their linie-up from Crunchy I would have suggested My Hero Acadamia. Still a good series if you can find it. (Which isn't hard to find honestly.) Of the various Gundam series...well if you like a more visceral experience I do reccommend MSG:L Iron Blood Orphans.(I honestly only recommend the first season. Season 2 is crap) Or if you get past the main character, Gundam Thunderbolt. Also Gundam Origin is good, alongside Gundam Unicorn. Whatever you do avoid MSG: Recongiusta in G. It's crap and very poorly written.

If you don't mind ecchi content I highly recommend High School DxD. If you like darker themed mecha shows then I highly suggest Darling in the FranXX. Those are some I can think of off the top of my head.

Sain

Quote from: Sessha on March 12, 2019, 11:29:12 AM
Ooh plenty of titles to think about. I would also suggest Log Horizon. It's much like SAO but not as mercurial in it's nature. If Funimation hadn't recently pulled their linie-up from Crunchy I would have suggested My Hero Acadamia. Still a good series if you can find it. (Which isn't hard to find honestly.) Of the various Gundam series...well if you like a more visceral experience I do reccommend MSG:L Iron Blood Orphans.(I honestly only recommend the first season. Season 2 is crap) Or if you get past the main character, Gundam Thunderbolt. Also Gundam Origin is good, alongside Gundam Unicorn. Whatever you do avoid MSG: Recongiusta in G. It's crap and very poorly written.

If you don't mind ecchi content I highly recommend High School DxD. If you like darker themed mecha shows then I highly suggest Darling in the FranXX. Those are some I can think of off the top of my head.

Those two are quite wonderful experiences indeed. Definitely recommend them as well! My Hero Academia is just fantastic.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Life in Color

Quote from: Sain on March 12, 2019, 11:31:34 AM
Those two are quite wonderful experiences indeed. Definitely recommend them as well! My Hero Academia is just fantastic.

Season 2 and 3 are still on the Roll, but S1 is missing.

Shmeh.

Zaer Darkwail

<3

Besides shows told and recommended already, the darker fantasy show Goblin Slayer is nice watch (almost finished with it) and more for comedy flavor Konosuba is also good and got two seasons. Overlord is dark fantasy also but not as dark as Goblin Slayer (my own opinion anyways) and has two seasons also.

Also good show is Attack on Titan, which has dark story elements but nice action scenes.

Yukina

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on March 12, 2019, 11:52:23 AM
Besides shows told and recommended already, the darker fantasy show Goblin Slayer is nice watch (almost finished with it) and more for comedy flavor Konosuba is also good and got two seasons. Overlord is dark fantasy also but not as dark as Goblin Slayer (my own opinion anyways) and has two seasons also.

Also good show is Attack on Titan, which has dark story elements but nice action scenes.

I definitely second that recommendation of Overlord. I could recommend some more Gundam shows as well, though Sessha is quite on point.

Zaer Darkwail

Correction; three seasons on Overlord.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Sessha on March 12, 2019, 11:29:12 AM
Whatever you do avoid MSG: Recongiusta in G. It's crap and very poorly written.

Did they come out with better english subs for G-Reco at some point? I feel like a lot of the initial bad reaction to the series in the West was due to the absolutely terrible translation that it was released with, though I will admit that the series does have a rather abrupt and unsatisfying ending.

Inkidu

I can't not recommend Cells at Work! and Megalobox.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Yukina

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 14, 2019, 07:23:18 PM
Did they come out with better english subs for G-Reco at some point? I feel like a lot of the initial bad reaction to the series in the West was due to the absolutely terrible translation that it was released with, though I will admit that the series does have a rather abrupt and unsatisfying ending.

There were a lot more problems than that unfortunately. For example, nothing seeming to matter, the past lore being half-utilized, or having to watch Bellri commit a murderous rage fit because he couldn't bone his sister.

Kunoichi

Quote from: Yugishogun on March 15, 2019, 08:16:52 PM
There were a lot more problems than that unfortunately. For example, nothing seeming to matter, the past lore being half-utilized, or having to watch Bellri commit a murderous rage fit because he couldn't bone his sister.

It's been a little while since I last saw Reconguista in G, admittedly, but in what way did nothing seem to matter, specifically?  What past lore was there that was half-utilized?  As for that one scene with Bellri, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as your description of it makes it sound.  He fell in love with Aida, then they later found out that they were siblings, and then he was thrown into a combat situation immediately afterwards and had to come to grips with the revelation while in the middle of a fight.  I'd argue that him freaking out a bit under those circumstances is understandable, and it's one of the few scenes from the show that I still clearly remember because I rather liked the way that they handled it.

Yukina

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 15, 2019, 09:06:48 PM
It's been a little while since I last saw Reconguista in G, admittedly, but in what way did nothing seem to matter?  What past lore was there that was half-utilized?  As for that one scene with Bellri, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as your description of it makes it sound.  He fell in love with Aida, then they later found out that they were siblings, and then he was thrown into a combat situation immediately afterwards and had to come to grips with the revelation while in the middle of a fight.  I'd argue that him freaking out a bit under those circumstances is understandable, and it's one of the few scenes from the show that I still clearly remember because I rather liked the way that they handled it.

1. It's more that nothing seemed to carry any weight. For example, they took a prisoner and by the next episode he's careening freely around the ship for no reason. Not to mention, the show just feels as if it's going nowhere past episode 3. The whole experience past that is waiting through several boring skirmishes until around episode 15 or 16-ish.
2. As for the lore, they keep giving random tidbits about the past, such as the Kuntala situation, but besides maybe a few insults regarding it, it never really comes into play. Mask is supposedly hindered by it, but his platoon loves him.
3. I will admit I was exaggerating the third bit about Bellri for comedy. However, as I hint in #1, that incident is around the time things seem to be happening for once again and I rather be watching other things (such as more of the new faction) than a childish protagonist having a fit about his personal Luke/Leia conundrum.
4. Speaking of Bellri's childishness, hearing him complain is ends up being a large portion of the show (or at least that's the cringe-worthy bunch of memories that come to mind whenever I look be on G-Reco)
5. Still, I apologize if I came across as harsh. Perspective is paramount and I'm slightly aware I might remembering it far worse than it might be. I watched it when it was still airing and I was only able top sit through it to my patience wore out around episode 20.

(On a side note though, nice Ayame avatar. Have you ever tried gunpla?)

Kunoichi

Quote from: Yugishogun on March 15, 2019, 09:46:55 PM
1. It's more that nothing seemed to carry any weight. For example, they took a prisoner and by the next episode he's careening freely around the ship for no reason. Not to mention, the show just feels as if it's going nowhere past episode 3. The whole experience past that is waiting through several boring skirmishes until around episode 15 or 16-ish.
2. As for the lore, they keep giving random tidbits about the past, such as the Kuntala situation, but besides maybe a few insults regarding it, it never really comes into play. Mask is supposedly hindered by it, but his platoon loves him.
3. I will admit I was exaggerating the third bit about Bellri for comedy. However, as I hint in #1, that incident is around the time things seem to be happening for once again and I rather be watching other things (such as more of the new faction) than a childish protagonist having a fit about his personal Luke/Leia conundrum.
4. Speaking of Bellri's childishness, hearing him complain is ends up being a large portion of the show (or at least that's the cringe-worthy bunch of memories that come to mind whenever I look be on G-Reco)
5. Still, I apologize if I came across as harsh. Perspective is paramount and I'm slightly aware I might remembering it far worse than it might be. I watched it when it was still airing and I was only able top sit through it to my patience wore out around episode 20.

(On a side note though, nice Ayame avatar. Have you ever tried gunpla?)

1 & 3. I remember having a rather different impression of the series by these points, but I will admit that this is where things get a bit more subjective.  Rather than being bored or feeling like the plot was going nowhere before the Moon people showed up, I was invested in the world and political situation that had been built up, and found the fights mostly made logical sense and helped with the pacing, aside from one or two that seemed deliberately worked in for the sake of having a fight in each episode.
2. From what I recall, all of the men and women in Mask's unit were Kuntalas as well, though I will agree that they didn't do much beyond the first few episodes to show the discrimination Mask was supposedly fighting against.
4. I'd say Bellri complains about as much as any UC-timeline Gundam protagonist.  Amuro and Kamille could both get a bit whiny at times, as well.
5. It's alright, I understand.  I watched G-Reco while it was airing as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if I overlooked some of the show's legitimate flaws or gave them a pass, simply because the translation quality on the subs was so bad and I really wanted to give it a fair chance at the time.

(Thanks. ^^ I did briefly get into the hobby during the first season of Build Fighters, but I haven't really done anything since then.)

Sessha

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 15, 2019, 11:04:24 PM
4. I'd say Bellri complains about as much as any UC-timeline Gundam protagonist.  Amuro and Kamille could both get a bit whiny at times, as well.

I do agree Kamille could be very annoying in the first half of the series. By series mid-point though he had mostly stopped his complaining and got with the program. As for Armuro, he stopped his shenanigans after Bright slapped the crap out of him for whining like a bitch. *snickers* Cause you know that's where the "Bright Slap" meme was born. "The Bright Slap! Fixing Whining emo-angsty teens since 1979!"  ;D ;D ;D 8-) 8-) 8-)

As for me, I can only go off of second hand knowledge of the show, since I never made it past the first episode. The gundam's deisgn just...ugh...no I was done. But I remember one of the primary complaints was about how badly written the main protagonist was written. Which was pointed out above.

The other as was mentioned was the plot went essentially for a good while. Like I said the main problems for the show mostly came in the writing itself. A better more modern Gundam series to watch would be Gundam Unicorn or Gundam Origin. I've heard nothing but good reviews about both of these shows. I have yet to sit down and watch them myself but that's how it is.

Yukina

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 15, 2019, 11:04:24 PM
1 & 3. I remember having a rather different impression of the series by these points, but I will admit that this is where things get a bit more subjective.  Rather than being bored or feeling like the plot was going nowhere before the Moon people showed up, I was invested in the world and political situation that had been built up, and found the fights mostly made logical sense and helped with the pacing, aside from one or two that seemed deliberately worked in for the sake of having a fight in each episode.
2. From what I recall, all of the men and women in Mask's unit were Kuntalas as well, though I will agree that they didn't do much beyond the first few episodes to show the discrimination Mask was supposedly fighting against.
5. It's alright, I understand.  I watched G-Reco while it was airing as well, and I wouldn't be surprised if I overlooked some of the show's legitimate flaws or gave them a pass, simply because the translation quality on the subs was so bad and I really wanted to give it a fair chance at the time.

(Thanks. ^^ I did briefly get into the hobby during the first season of Build Fighters, but I haven't really done anything since then.)

Whelp, Sessha sniped what I was about to write regarding #4. Kamille even emotionally grew to be genre savvy enough to ignore his rival. What kits did you get by the way? (I was inspired by Build Fighters as well and have been addicted on and off since then)

Sasquatch421

<3

If you liked Gundam Wing, you could always give 00 Gundam a try, and ummm, Voices of a Distant Star is a great movie as well. Read or Die, The Ancient Magus' Bride, Blood Blockade Battlefront and Maoyu are series I've been watching. I did also start watching Reborn!

Now I've tried watching Konosuba a couple of times, but Crunchyroll keeps sending me to the video unavailable page so I have no clue what's up with that yet. Currently also rewatching Fushigi Yugi again as I found Fushigi Yugi: Eikoden. Yes, I still love the old stuff and still like going back and seeing the old animation styles.