What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobe352

Hey guys. :0 Thought I'd join the party.

Ehh. Right now, I'm stuck between Final Fantasy 13 and Mass Effect 2 for my PS3. I'm pretty disappointed by FF, seeing as you just run, fight random monster-things, then watch ten minute cut-scenes. Purdy boring. :/

As far MS2, it's amazing. Really a great game.

What's games are you beautiful people discussing? :D

P.S. Infamous 2 just came out. Any thoughts on this?

Inkidu

I realize that this is the very diffinition of a moot point, (seeing as I don't own a PS3) but the Game Informer I got today says that Infamous 2 is not coming out until June 7th. Are you from the future? @_@
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

jobe352

-smacks forehead-

Yes, you're right! I just read the review for Infamous 2 on GI...I immediately assumed that it had been released. -_- Why do they post the reviews so early? Grrrrowl.

I wish. xD That'd be so cool.

So, tell me about the 360. Do you like it? What's better in your opinion---PS3 or 360?

Wyrd

I'm gonna go with the 360. the online experience feels a lot better then the PSN. And i personally feel that the Ps3 controller is really not meant for shooters while the 360's feels a lot more... right
Ragtime Dandies!

Brandon

Frozen Synapse. I really really really like this game. For those that dont know anything about it its a turn based strategy game set in a very cyberpunk setting. Its really hard to compare it to anything else. The planning stages of some rainbow 6 games is the closest similarity I can think of. Probably the coolest part is the soundtrack, I just dont tend to run into games that make me think the music is good let alone give me eargasms but FS sure did!
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on May 29, 2011, 07:42:41 PM
Hey, maybe it's just something you have to be Polish to do. Who knows?

But I'm part Polish! It's a small part, but it should give me an edge, shouldn't it!?

consortium11

The boss fights on the Witcher 2 aren't it's strong point... while they're "cinematic" and I don't mind the occasional quick time events, most of them are pretty cheap (and can be stupidly easy if you stock up on bombs beforehand). The difficulty level jerks around a little bit... while I'd say it generally gets easier after the prologue there are times when you're walking through everything wondering where the challenge is to suddenly getting absolutely stomped in seconds. There's a few balancing issues as well, Quen in particular seems very overpowered at this stage.

On a side note the Polish Prime Minister apparently gave Obama the Witcher 2 as a present...  ;D

With regards to underrated games can I second Outcast... brilliant game, before its time in many ways (look at all the open world type adventure games now) and while the graphics are painful to look at the gameplay still holds up. Nomad Soul/Omikron also fits in here great game with some clever game mechanics. If only David Bowie would stop singing...

Dark Reign was one of the better "2nd Gen" RTS/Command and Conquer clone games but had the bad luck to be released just before Total Annihilation came along and swept up all the applause. Likewise Unreal (the original) was a pretty damn good FPS which was blown out of the water by Half-Life. Lords of the Realm 2 pre-empted the Total War series and its combination of turn based strategy and real-time combat by a good few years but never seemed to get anywhere. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines was Troika at its best and worst... one of the best RPG's of recent years in many ways completely neutered by cut content and bugs. Likewise Arcanum... not quite as buggy as other Troika releases but with horrible combat... combined with a brilliant story, one of the best fully developed game world/setting I've witnessed, incredible character creation (that affected virtually everything else in the game) and huge amounts of choices and consequences.

Sabby

Been reading along, thanks for the suggestions. Got Outcast, Frozen Synapse, Nomad Soul and Dark Earth all downloading. If some of them don't work on my Acer, I'm picking up a Windows 7 install disc tomorrow or the next day to get my slightly better laptop working.

consortium11

As I say, just avoid the David Bowie performances and Nomad Soul is great... one of the best first sections of any game I've played.

Hemingway

Quote from: consortium11 on May 30, 2011, 09:37:46 AM
The boss fights on the Witcher 2 aren't it's strong point... while they're "cinematic" and I don't mind the occasional quick time events, most of them are pretty cheap (and can be stupidly easy if you stock up on bombs beforehand). The difficulty level jerks around a little bit... while I'd say it generally gets easier after the prologue there are times when you're walking through everything wondering where the challenge is to suddenly getting absolutely stomped in seconds. There's a few balancing issues as well, Quen in particular seems very overpowered at this stage.

I've only fought one boss, and the frustration during that boss was mostly due to me having trouble figuring out just how to do it. Especially the second phase was a pain, because I actually did it right the first time, but failed, which convinced me I was doing it wrong.

The stealth bits of the game are even worse. Thankfully, it seems you can knock out guards without penalty, so it's only hard if you decide you're going to, for whatever reason, do it without knocking out the guards. Doing that is easy enough.

Combat as a whole is difficult, and targeting is slightly wonky. My biggest complaint there is that if you attack something, you can't hit anything else, even if it steps in the way of your sword. Locking on enemies during a one-on-one fight is a good idea, but if you're fighting a group, it just gets in the way.

That aside, it is an exceptional game. I don't know what it is about the setting that makes me love it so, but dammit if it isn't better than 95% of all fantasy out there. I just like how it's not based on the typical medieval western Europe, but rather central Europe. Also, the author seems to have a thing for redheads. And sex. Add a touch of prejudice and racism ( something I find they've done very convincingly in this game ), a ton of darkness, and frequent role reversals, and you've got yourself a riveting story.

Inkidu

Quote from: jobe352 on May 29, 2011, 08:46:32 PM
-smacks forehead-

Yes, you're right! I just read the review for Infamous 2 on GI...I immediately assumed that it had been released. -_- Why do they post the reviews so early? Grrrrowl.

I wish. xD That'd be so cool.

So, tell me about the 360. Do you like it? What's better in your opinion---PS3 or 360?

I'm not really going to say which is better. I have a slim 360 now and I love it. However, if I had the extra money, I'd probably get a PS3 too. I like games. The only platform I'm not willing to really get into anymore is the PC. It's literally too much to care for. Plus you'll always save money on consoles over PCs (unless you build them yourself; I can't). Maybe when the graphics race finally dies down I'll splurge on a new PC, but that's about ten to twelve years away from what I reckon.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

http://www.1up.com/news/zone-of-the-enders-hd-collection

Zone of Enders? Both Games? in HD?

...Hells Yes.

now all we need is an ICO collection (Ico and Shadow of the Collosus) In HD and the world will be at peace.

Wyrd

Shadow of the Colossus is getting re-released for PS3
Ragtime Dandies!

Brandon

Quote from: Wyrd on June 03, 2011, 06:36:02 PM
Shadow of the Colossus is getting re-released for PS3

If they screw it up in any way I am calling for blood. That is IMO the most artistic game I have ever played
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wyrd

It was pretty artistic... Except for that Bloody horse! Gosh, that thing was stupid!
Ragtime Dandies!

Wyrd

Whats the name of ICO's upcoming game? Anybody know?
Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

Ico was the one with the horned boy and the girl he had to drag around, right?  I remember being interested in playing that when it came out, but never got around to getting it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wyrd

ICO's also the name of the company that made that game and Colossus. I've been hearing bits and pieces of their upcoming game but the name escapes me. It's bugging me!   
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Quote from: Brandon on June 03, 2011, 06:45:34 PM
If they screw it up in any way I am calling for blood. That is IMO the most artistic game I have ever played

Dude... theres guna be a movie >.>
Quote from: The GuardianA Sony Pictures film based on the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 game Shadow of the Colossus is in the works, Hollywood Reporter and Variety reported Tuesday.

Ben Fritz of Variety’s The Cut Scene blog reports that his friend Justin Marks, who wrote this year’s Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, is writing the script. Fritz gives us an insider’s peek at how the game may be translated to the big screen:

I understand the folks working on the project are planning to have some of the characters who appear only momentarily in the game, such as those who try to track down and stop Wander, play bigger roles in the film. And despite the game’s somewhat "artsy" cred, they’re hoping Shadow will be a Lord of the Rings-style fantasy tentpole.

Fritz also points out that the movie has just started its process of development, which he calls a "first step" — "very far from actually making it to the big screen." So it’s not a sure thing, as of yet.

I’m sure many of you are torn in exactly the same way I am right now. On the one hand, Shadow of the Colossus is one of my all-time favorite games, and it would be great to see it get more mainstream exposure. On the other hand, videogame movies are usually terrible.

The Director was also quoted on another website saying that the best thing about the games setting is how little there is to it... "They can start building on it right away" Boy does that statement make your hairs stand up.

Wyrd

Name one video game movie thats been good.
Ragtime Dandies!

Hemingway

Man, the Witcher 2 is ...

I know, I know, I can't stop talking about it. It's frustrating. It's awesome. It's difficult as hell. It has twists. It has turns. It has a genuine story. It may very well be the best fantasy RPG I've played since ... no. I don't know. It may be - dare I say it - the best fantasy RPG I've ever played? It may very well be.

I forgot what I originally wanted to say about it.

Wyrd

I'm really looking forward top the Xbox release
Ragtime Dandies!

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wyrd on June 03, 2011, 07:13:46 PM

Doom, IMO, was good.  Not as a Doom movie, exactly, but it was a decent sci-fi movie.  If they had changed the name to something other than Doom, I think it would have been a little more well-received.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Wyrd on June 03, 2011, 07:13:46 PM

Street Fighter, simply because Raul Julia only did it because his grandchildren asked, and he deliberately chewed the scenery so much every prop had toothmarks. Plus it has the best line ever. "My dear, the day I destroyed your hometown was, to you, the most important day of your life. But to me, it was Tuesday."

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!