'Show New Replies To Your Posts' Feature

Started by Oreo, November 13, 2009, 06:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

The difference is simple:

Bookmarks is for games, and arranges them into neat little list format. It's for replies I want to keep track of, but may not reply to right away.

Show new replies is for threads I'm reading, and checking for responses. I don't necessarily care about the responses in the "what are you listening to" thread after, like, a day or so. I want to be able to remove that thread from unread replies after I'm done following it. If I want to find it again and follow it again, I know where to seek it out. But for now? I don't care about it and don't want to see it - on any list that I click. I don't have time to peel through all the game threads I may have posted to.

That's the difference. I gather a lot of people like to organize their threads in the same way, which is why the suggestion. It's like the two of them are different file folders... just because two manila file folders look the same doesn't mean they don't serve their purpose.

Will

I understand you use them for different things, but I imagine that's largely because of differences in how they work.

I want to be able to remove threads from "Show new replies," too.  I want that very, very much.  But I still want threads to be placed there just by me having posted in them.  That's my only issue with the suggestion here.  The idea is basically to make "Show new replies" work exactly like Bookmarks, which I think is redundant.  If you want multiple "file folders" that function like Bookmarks, how about creating subsections within Bookmarks itself?
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Trieste

That would also be cool.

And yes, I'm in favor of having 'show new replies to my posts' be formed out of a list of threads that I have posted to, and all I need to do is remove them.

Oniya

One thing I've taken to doing recently is opening the encompassing forum for the threads I don't really care to keep reading (usually Forum Games/Socializing) and hitting 'Mark Read' before even clicking on 'Show new replies to your posts'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Yeh. I do that a lot, and once I've read through everything I'm going to read, I go down to the bottom right of the forum and click mark all read.

Cecilia

But Will, it's nit exactly like bookmarks.  I can see a new reply to a thread, read it, go back to new replies and read another.  Eventually, they all disappear and, many of them I dint need to do anything else.  Bookmarks are different on that they are always there and easy to find.  If I skim thru my new replies, I can read a story thread, skimming it to just get the gysy and see there was a reply.  Then poof it's gone.   If I want to reply to it I can go back later to my bookmarks and find it easily.  Two different functions.  I use new replies o watch a thread I've posted in, but rarely need to do anything beyond checking in.  I have over 1000 threads that I receive such notifications.  I have only 20 bookmarks. 

Vekseid

WTF! I did not mean of all things for a feature discussion to turn into flaming. I will do my best to find a novel solution to the problem. In the mean time, err, calm down? : /