Not Just Another Batman RP...I hope. Joker seeks a Harlequin. [MUL][UN]

Started by Barding, August 06, 2008, 02:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barding

I got thinking today and, as a result, I developed something of a new craving in terms of roleplay. To put it bluntly, I would like to do a Batman roleplay set in the breathtakingly realistic and almost rash-inducingly gritty world of the Nolan-conceived Batman universe. In layman’s terms, that means the world in which the films are set. Where everything, especially the villains, are grounded firmly in reality. On that note, it happens to be the villains that I’m interested in…They’re all so delicious and, to a man, fairly tragic and all very believable. I cannot say that without citing Heath Ledger’s performance in the recently released Dark Knight as an example of how very well-realised they can be!

Still, enough introductory babble. I’ll get down to the point of it all and, for once, be succinct. I would like to roleplay out a longterm plot involving one or more of Batman’s so-called villains. The delicious thing about all of them in the films is that they aren’t crooks or innately evil bastards…They all just need help – they’re very tragic. If you know me, you’ll also know that I like tragic.

The Joker is a perfect example of this, especially in the recently released film. He is, most likely, top of my list of ‘want-to-play’s. Still, more on that later.

I am looking for a girl to play a girl for me. Twisted romance is paramount and a distinct sense of angst, darkness and general good, old fashioned twistedness are all equally important. Second only to experience in these areas of expertise is this rule:

Bad roleplayers need not apply.
[/b]

I feel that, all elitism aside, I cannot say that enough. I do not wish to see this concept slaughtered and, well, I know there’s someone out there who can do it justice and more. I simply hope that this ad helps me find you.

Without further adue, onto the plot idea I had.

“Anyone can see the Joker laugh, only she sees him cry.”

This would revolve around the relationship between the Joker and a Nolan-ised Harlequin – just think of her as she would be in the context of the most recent, darker, grittier and realistic movies…less silly costumes etc, quirkier but less matte and distinct make-up…Just like the Joker.

I guess the first thing to think a little about is the origins of Harlequin. I thought there could be two possible directions from which she could appear.

1) The Joker mentions his ex-wife in the film, the Dark Knight. He mentions how beautiful she was, especially to him, even after the mob permanently altered her face. She was the reason his trade-mark smile spread across both sides of his face. He wanted to show her that he was still happy with her and that he didn’t care about the scars. However, when he trundled out of the bathroom with blood pouring from one side of his face, the other side already scarred over at the lip from the incident years ago with his alchoholic father, she couldn’t stand the sight of him and, well, one thing lead to another. I’d imagine the Joker was heartbroken…and finally cracked. That’s where the alter-ego of the Joker came from and that’s when it rose to prominence and that’s when an anarchistic lust for chaos of all kinds flooded into our twisted protagonist’s life. Now, Harlequin falls into this web later on as the very same ex-wife, now equally cracked after losing everything (including much of her sanity) to her gambling addiction and the mob it brought onto her tails, develops an obsessive and self-destructive love of the Joker figure she sees on the news each day. In short, she is very much in love with the man that her ex-husband has become but still thinks of the real man behind the make-up as pathetic and loathsome. Oh the delicious duality of it all! Also, think of the twisted grief and joy the Joker would feel in equal parts. Yesh! This would truly be a wonderfully psychologically stimulating plot, I feel. In other words, she’d go from obsessive fan to possible stalker to lover and soulmate.

2) The Joker, having been locked up in Arkham Asylum close to the end of the Dark Knight, is put under an intensive regime of rehabilitation and psychoanalysis. All this is done care of Arkham’s most successful and dedicated active psychologist – one Dr Harlene Quinzey. See the seeds planted there already? She is, at first, terrified by what she finds upon looking into the Joker’s distinctly fractured mind but, over time, she becomes closer to him than anyone has ever been since he slipped into the alter-ego known as the joker. She becomes closer to uncovering the man beneath the make-up and the playing cards and that charming little trick with a pencil. I might go so far as to say that they might almost become friends – they might come so far into something of a relationship that they both trust one another…perhaps a little too much on both their parts. Now then, this could go one of two ways. The good Doctor could either bring out the true man behind the make-up and fall for him before, as a result of the effort and the consciousness she’s been exposed to, cracking under the pressure and slipping into a similar alternate personality to the Joker’s or she could simply be driven steadily all the more mad by exposure to the Joker’s warped mind and, well, start to see things like he does. Either way, they’d become verrrry close…So much so that they simply want peace and one another and will do anything to get it. Anything.

I hope both those preludes there have inspired you somewhat. Pretty much, to put it in brief, I’d like to explore the potential relationship and the nature of the twisted but rather sweet love that could exist between Harlequin and the Joker. I am not looking for Mungojerry-and-Rumpleteaser-esque criminal capers here. Instead, I am looking for psychological, literature-worthy roleplay…With secks! Still, it wouldn’t be mindless smut, I assure you. I say the same about violence. All violence and all sex in this scenario will be necessary to the story and will not take it over. Sex is a necessary part of most romantic relationships and would add to the tone of it all and violence is a necessary part of Harlequin and Joker’s search for some kind of anarchistic, shared freedom together. It all adds up.

Well then, what more needs to be said? If you’re interested, PM me and impress me. However, for the lazy ones among you, AIM adds are also acceptable. Now, get going!
:: O/Os ::
Updated 09/08/2021

:: Cravings ::
Updated 20/09/2021

:: Accepting new stories only in very special cases. ::

Trieste

Oooh. What an awesome idea. I have not yet seen Dark Knight, but a link to the game when you find a partner would be totally appreciated. :)

Barding

*grins and blushes* I'd love to be able to consider someone as prestigious as you, Trieste, but I understand your practical limitations on the subject. I am VERY flattered by your support.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

Trieste

I have a serious weakness for Harley Quinn. I only skimmed (for fear of spoilers; I'm hoping to see DK this weekend) but what I saw was nicely put. Good job! :)

Barding

Seems I'm likely to have to induct one of the two roleplayers I've found on a different site into Elliquiy to play this out.

Still, I've had a couple of promising folk PM me here, don't feel like you're being ignored :P

However, I must say, I would love to hear Trieste's opinions on this (even in the form of suggestions) after her having seen the Dark Knight. If you'd be so kind as to toss 'em my way?
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

Trieste

Saw it last night. Hoo boy.

I will have to get my ideas together and PM you with them later (I hate spoilers, hate them, so am really hesitant to put any here) ... suffice to say, I've been pondering all day what kind of person would snag enough attention from him to actually count as any kind of relationship.

My mind, it is an interesting place. :)

Barding

Well then, I must say, I'm proud that you'd consider me worth looking into :) Hope to hear from you soon. I have a few ideas myself.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

sleepingferret

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

calamity

Beautiful.  I wish I had seen it sooner so that I might have sniped this - alas, I have been busy.

Links to any games are definitely appreciated!
O&O

Barding

Hmmn, sorry Vix, dear. I apologise for not having propositioned you for this but, well, you seemed busy anyway. I promise I'll post a link here for y'all when the game begins and I've found a final choice of Harley.

Still, you know you've always got a place with me in terms of roleplay when you're not all worked up (in the bad, literal sense :P).
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021

calamity

Absolutely no reason to apologize, my dear friend.  :)  I'm looking forward to reading the game.

But if you happen to get stuck on finding your H, you just let me know.  *winks*
O&O

Barding

Tadaa!

And here it is! The moment a few of you might just have been waiting for.

I'm not overly happy with my first post as I feel it doesn't explain how exactly I write until later on...However, be patient. It'll get good, so I hope.

Any feedback is VERY welcome and HIGHLY encouraged.
Updated 09/08/2021

Updated 20/09/2021