Interest Check: Exalted 2.5 (NC:H, LBGTQA Friendly, All Genders Welcome)

Started by hellrazoromega, July 22, 2015, 09:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellrazoromega

So Since Onyx Path looks as if they won’t have 3rd edition out anytime soon and Exalted is my all-time favorite game, I’m gonna stop holding my breath and try my hand at a game here.

This will be a game of empire-building open to Solars and Lunar Bond mates (with some special rules relating to all that). I might be convinced to allow one Alchemical ambassador and one Sidereal, but only with a really good sell. Also be forewarned Characters who are not in Solar-Lunar Parings will find themselves at an even greater disadvantage against these pairs due to the way I am thinking of doing bonds. Abyssals and Infernals are antagonists and will not be allowed so please don’t even try. All players must be ostensibly allied and seeking some manner of cooperation or restoration of the Deliberative. That said, ulterior motives are allowed and probably expected—just not sufficient to ruin anyone’s fun. What I am looking for is flawed heroes—not villains in disguise.

Note: most of what is listed below is subject to change.
[/color]

A Tentative Background.
The Realm slowly slipped into chaos when the Scarlet Queen vanished, not all at once to be sure, but it died the slow death of intrigue, factionalism, betrayal, and infighting. At first the return of the Chosen of the Sun only added to the turmoil but gradually they managed to wrest order from the chaos. Through the strength of their abilities and after over 100 years the Solars have managed to reorder Creation yet again. The Realm has fallen and thousands of years of Dragon Blooded propaganda has been put to rest. This is not to say that the Dragon Blood Resistance is not still alive and well. The Bronze Faction has been reimagined after seeing the seeming inevitability of Solar rule, their mission is in a state of flux.

For their part the Sun Children have managed to come together to face great threats to Creation. Deathlord incursions, vengeful Green Sun Princes, invasions in the South by the forces of Autochthon, shifting masses of Fair Folk, and rebellions from Lookshy have all been stopped. The Exalted are even now aware of the Great Cruse, though they find themselves powerless to stop it. The Curse was only a last bit of spite, the true trap is the Games of Divinity which prevent the Incarna from freeing their Chosen and no Solar is yet powerful enough to free themselves. But when these greater threats have been dealt with the Solars return to their newly minted kingdoms and empires to plan and plot. Some suggest they rebuild the Deliberative, others point to past failures and suggest a Confederation of independents states, and there are those who want to rule it all.

The State of Things (WIP).
Many Dragon Bloods now serve various Solar masters, others have formed their own city-states similar to Lookshy, and some have formed a resistance against Celestial rule.

The forces of Autochthon have carved out a large section of the South but after repeated thrashings by various unions of Solars they have ceased their advance and opened up dialogues.

The Deathlords and their Shadowlands have been contained but are still a threat, despite the fact that several Abyssal Essences have been redeemed and only a relative few corrupted essences remain.

The Lunar Castes have been restored and the bonds they have with their mates have flared to First Age levels.

The Sidereals are attempting to sort the entire mess out and figure out why Fate has thrown them a curveball.

Other Notes to Get in the Open.

1.   I should note I am a bit more strict about stunts than some storytellers, if the descriptions become passe it is not worth a stunt or may be worth less dice, IMO. I don't do this often, but be forewarned it could happen.

2.   Characters need to be well-rounded but not so versatile as to be ineffective. ‘Glass Cannon,’ characters will not do well in this game. If you are the great Socializer or Warrior and literally unable to do well at anything else, this is not likely to be the game for you. My antagonists will exploit any ‘one trick ponies.’

3.   I am kicking around the idea of the Bond conferring great power to the bonded pair and making them very nasty as a team, providing enhancements for both members of the bond. This is part of the explanation for the ability of Celestials of lower essence to defeat much stronger foes.

4.   Players will have 3 options (unless someone comes up with others). Their Bondmate can be another PC’s or the Bondmate can be an NPC controlled with by me or themselves. The latter option could of course come with certain restrictions and GM caveats. (And yes the PC could be the Lunar and the NPC the Solar).

5.     I am open to ideas for changes to the setting from interested players (well from anyone with constructive input, actually).

6.   And yes the game could get kinky.

Lockepick

Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

HairyHeretic

So would the players start in control of a city state to begin with?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Marie Reynolds

Hmm this has me interested and I would love to hear some more!

hellrazoromega

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 23, 2015, 09:57:03 AM
So would the players start in control of a city state to begin with?
That had been my original thought, however I am a very flexible GM and would probably poll my players and see what they wanted to go with. Would they rather seize a city-state or start small and grow from there. I had even toyed with the idea of the game opening in media res with the PCs topping the rulers of a despotic republic or confederation and taking control.

Hit me with other questions if you have them, the idea for this is rather solid but not 100% fleshed out (maybe say 85%) so I am open to ideas or wishlists from potential players. What more would folks like to know? I'll gladly spill.

Rook Seidhr

Interested.

Thinking Dawn Caste, recently redeemed Abyssal, a motivational speaker and teacher as well as a warrior and general, who hates Necromancy but keeps falling back on it because it's a familiar tool. I would prefer a PC Lunar bond, maybe the one who pushed my character into turning to the light. My character would be a lesbian, but if her bondmate were strictly male, that would be fine; she'd find another sex partner.

hellrazoromega, are you willing to share what the starting build parameters would be? It sounds like we'd be starting with more than default.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Pumpkin Seeds

eternaldarkness

I am so interested, especially if I could get that sole Sidereal spot. Since a Sidereal game has a 0% chance of ever happening, I'm willing to deal with the disadvantage of not having a bond just to play one.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Riveda on July 23, 2015, 07:37:42 PM
Interested.

Thinking Dawn Caste, recently redeemed Abyssal, a motivational speaker and teacher as well as a warrior and general, who hates Necromancy but keeps falling back on it because it's a familiar tool. I would prefer a PC Lunar bond, maybe the one who pushed my character into turning to the light. My character would be a lesbian, but if her bondmate were strictly male, that would be fine; she'd find another sex partner.

hellrazoromega, are you willing to share what the starting build parameters would be? It sounds like we'd be starting with more than default.
I am thinking of going with a modification of the Established Solar from Lords of Creation, Let me look at the numbers again and I will nail that part down. But it is close to that.

I would like to ask those interested if they would prefer the game open right before seizing their holdings, during said events, or at a time after the actual "dirty" work. Note that when I use words like seize I include those who may use means other than the physical to meet their goals. Whatever the case may be, as with all rulers in troubled times, the PCs and their allies would have to deal with threats both external and internal.

Quote from: eternaldarkness on July 24, 2015, 12:16:43 AM
I am so interested, especially if I could get that sole Sidereal spot. Since a Sidereal game has a 0% chance of ever happening, I'm willing to deal with the disadvantage of not having a bond just to play one.
See what the others come up with and sell me on a good background and I'll let you know. If the background is good it is doable.

eternaldarkness

After is my vote. As for my character idea, I'm thinking a Chosen of Serenity who is keenly interested in seeing this new city-state flourish and has been using his charms and other talents to help the Solars and Lunars along secretly is what I'll go for. Since Arcane Fate ensures he'll not even be remembered, naturally the others probably have no idea he was helping them at all. Or that he even exists.

Hilarity will ensue as he does his level best to ensure happiness and prosperity for the new rulers, and abject misery for everyone giving them trouble.

Angie

Oh god, yes...I so want in on this, since I have a character heavily inspired by Garrett of Thief fame (and I mean OLD Garrett, not the piece of shit new guy...), and I've been dying to play him. Question: Is there any chance of playing a character that doesn't think he's Exalted and just thinks he's that damn good? At least at the start, he'll learn pretty quickly that he's likely a Night Exalted because he IS that damn good.

Also, I know second edition, how far removed is 2.5 from the original 2.0 Core Book (which is what I have)?
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Zaer Darkwail

I am interested on this :). Anycase one useful house rules what have been common in games which I have joined (these are just suggestions for hellrazoromega);

1) Every caste and favored ability with even single dot invested yields free first, second or third excellency with said ability (with lunars it's their caste or their favored attribute dots). Lunars get to pick two favored attributes and pick two caste attributes.

2) Every essence dot gives freebie ox-body purchase (and can purchase additional ones with normal limits based on stamina or resistance).

3) When learning sorcery access charm you learn also a sorcery spell (or necromancy) from same tier for free.

4) Combine all elemental crafts to single ability (every dot gives just knowledge/skill to craft a elemental craft; like 3 dots can teach person do fire, earth and wood crafts with 3 dot expertise). Special crafts like fate, magitech, necrotech are still calculated separately.

All above besides the usual 2.5 errata stuff.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Angiejuusan on July 24, 2015, 02:35:24 AM
Oh god, yes...I so want in on this, since I have a character heavily inspired by Garrett of Thief fame (and I mean OLD Garrett, not the piece of shit new guy...), and I've been dying to play him. Question: Is there any chance of playing a character that doesn't think he's Exalted and just thinks he's that damn good? At least at the start, he'll learn pretty quickly that he's likely a Night Exalted because he IS that damn good.

Also, I know second edition, how far removed is 2.5 from the original 2.0 Core Book (which is what I have)?
"2.5" is just all the added rules from Scroll of Errata.
Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 24, 2015, 03:00:47 AM
I am interested on this :). Anycase one useful house rules what have been common in games which I have joined (these are just suggestions for hellrazoromega);

1) Every caste and favored ability with even single dot invested yields free first, second or third excellency with said ability (with lunars it's their caste or their favored attribute dots). Lunars get to pick two favored attributes and pick two caste attributes.

2) Every essence dot gives freebie ox-body purchase (and can purchase additional ones with normal limits based on stamina or resistance).

3) When learning sorcery access charm you learn also a sorcery spell (or necromancy) from same tier for free.

4) Combine all elemental crafts to single ability (every dot gives just knowledge/skill to craft a elemental craft; like 3 dots can teach person do fire, earth and wood crafts with 3 dot expertise). Special crafts like fate, magitech, necrotech are still calculated separately.

All above besides the usual 2.5 errata stuff.
Yes, same here. All of those would be used, I hate to see Charm Slots wasted one Ox-Body, spells, or Excellencies needlessly.

Depending on my schedule either later today or Saturday I will look at getting a thread up since there seems to be enough interest and I will nail down build points.

AndyZ

I've got three concepts I'd love to reuse, but two of them involve either a custom artifact or a custom MA, so I may just go with the Night-caste assassin.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Angie

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 24, 2015, 03:17:33 AM
"2.5" is just all the added rules from Scroll of Errata. 

It's a good thing "Garrett" is already built for 2.5 then!

Quote from: hellrazoromega

All of those would be used, I hate to see Charm Slots wasted one Ox-Body, spells, or Excellencies needlessly.

Depending on my schedule either later today or Saturday I will look at getting a thread up since there seems to be enough interest and I will nail down build points.

But not built for this! I'll have to update the sheet, Garrett will have a shit load more excellencies now. And 4 more Charms to pick-I assume extra excellencies beyond the first still need to be paid for (he has first and second Stealth).

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, extra excellencies besides the first freebie one needs paid (even if it's favored or caste ability related). The freebies is meant to help round the char and fit for image to be exalted (excellencies and such are unneeded charm taxes as they are mandatory).

hellrazoromega

Quote from: Angiejuusan on July 24, 2015, 02:35:24 AM

The Night Caste is the only one where I could see that being half doable since they can mask their charm usage.
Quote from: AndyZ on July 24, 2015, 03:21:54 AM
I've got three concepts I'd love to reuse, but two of them involve either a custom artifact or a custom MA, so I may just go with the Night-caste assassin.
Night is my favorite Solar Caste.
Quote from: Angiejuusan on July 24, 2015, 03:32:43 AM
It's a good thing "Garrett" is already built for 2.5 then!

But not built for this! I'll have to update the sheet, Garrett will have a shit load more excellencies now. And 4 more Charms to pick-I assume extra excellencies beyond the first still need to be paid for (he has first and second Stealth).
Yes any other Excellencies will need to be bought normally, but I am modifying some of the rules from Dreams of the First Age to take all the 'free' goodies into account, so you will end up with lots of charms.

Angie

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 24, 2015, 03:38:25 AM
The Night Caste is the only one where I could see that being half doable since they can mask their charm usage. Night is my favorite Solar Caste.

I specifically built "Garrett" to have a bunch of Charms, and I'm pretty sure everything he has is "non-obvious". I'm just going to have to swap out his Artifact Powerbow for a regular bow because the way this setting seems set up, the moment he reveals he can use that, everyone would immediately go "SOLAR!" Now I'll have to be even more careful in picking charms :P

EDIT: There's a couple awareness charms labeled "Keen Sense Technique" and "Unsurpassed (Sense) Discipline", that are three different charms that all need to be bought on their own. Can we houserule it to where we just get them all?

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: hellrazoromega on July 24, 2015, 12:52:00 AM
I would like to ask those interested if they would prefer the game open right before seizing their holdings, during said events, or at a time after the actual "dirty" work.
Immediately after. Like, just as the previous ruler's severed head hits the floor, the remainder of his bodyguards surrender, and we drop out of combat time. Including some sort of mechanism for randomizing how low we are on Essence, Willpower, etc.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on July 24, 2015, 03:00:47 AM
I dislike #1 and hate #4, but I'm not the ST.

Quote from: Angiejuusan on July 24, 2015, 03:45:31 AM
EDIT: There's a couple awareness charms labeled "Keen Sense Technique" and "Unsurpassed (Sense) Discipline", that are three different charms that all need to be bought on their own. Can we houserule it to where we just get them all?
Please no?

Angie

Actually, in that case, "Garrett" (I'll change the name I swear-unless no one has a problem with him just being Garrett) would probably be nowhere near the fight. He's a sort of pacifist. He won't kill anyone doing their job (guards and such), may kill people trying to murder him (prefers to knock 'em out), and would not participate in a battle for the city. I don't really care where we start, but Garrett might not even show-if he DOES, he'll be too busy stealing everything that's not nailed down.

(The 'pacifist' thing is an homage to the game, where expert mode forbid you from killing, and even mentions in the briefings that "violence is the mark of the amateur".)

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Angiejuusan on July 24, 2015, 04:05:09 AM
I don't really care where we start, but Garrett might not even show—if he DOES, he'll be too busy stealing everything that's not nailed down.
I kinda like that idea, actually :)

Angie

It is the perfect opportunity. Slip in while everyone's killing each other, steal everything, walk out. We could even have an entertaining little moment where Garrett does his damnedest to lose you guys with all his stealth tricks (and unconscious use of Charms) while you guys try and find him. And yeah, that's how I plan on doing his Charms until he learns his nature as a Solar-things just sort of work out for him. It's more amazing luck in his eyes then supernatural power. Sadly I can't play him as the atheist I intended him to be-you deny that Gods exist when the Exalted, who might as well be gods, are right in front of you.

Rook Seidhr

If we're starting as Established Solars, he will have been denying his nature for quite some time.

EDIT: Also, Exalted or not, being an atheist in Creation, where the little gods routinely run protection rackets, is even more oblivious than thinking you're not a Solar. Maybe he's just completely lacking in reverence? Gods are just corrupt assholes like everyone else.