News:

Main Menu

So, how large is it?

Started by Lilias, December 26, 2012, 05:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Howling

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 28, 2013, 06:04:34 PM
Uh...  I hate to say this, but White Wolf books actually LOWER the words you know, because they've changed the meaning of several they use.  Usually in the terms of names.

I actually had to look up words and found out how wrong they were in the context the were used.  Which is why my personal score isn't as high as I wanted, I personally discounted and removed any words I recognized from my WW days.

My meaning wasn't that they taught me words, that I seen words in the book I was not familiar with and looked them up. Usually I came across these in the short stories, and some of the descriptions. You are right, they are often used out of context from their true meanings, but because I look up words I'm unfamiliar with it didn't lower my vocabulary any. It's just one of the few areas I've come across words I don't know.

Kekec

27,600 words. English is not my native language.

Seress

17,800 Righto, maybe it's time to study English again. >.<

Sain

Ahh 17100.. I started feeling like a moron at third already..

Should read more.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Kolya

I know 26,300 words.

Like many others I too was feeling pretty damn stupid by the last column. I think I knew one. :-[

makizushi

24,100 words. I feel awesome, no matter what everyone else scores!

Falanor

Quote from: Geraint on March 04, 2013, 12:21:53 PM
Older certainly does work to one's advantage, especially when combined with a lifetime of reading tons of fiction.  My experience is that forum roleplay adds greatly(see below), especially if one does a lot of historical and fantasy, and tends to research heavily (which I guess would qualify as well versed in archic language).  A keen curiosity, Google Fu, and Wikipedia addiction have to help as well.

My estimated number was:

42,900  (likely because of all the above).

Yeah, age has it's benefits...

My estimated number was:

Quote from: Geraint on March 04, 2013, 12:21:53 PM
Of course I know of very few people besides writers who might get to use nearly that amount of vocabulary in real life (people tend to back away from you when you do).  Certainly I don't.  So I took the test again, counting only words I actually use in real life (without getting strange looks) and came up with:

And this is probably why I get really odd looks from people outside my group of friends too...that and my random movie quoting habit in general conversations.

Oniya

Quote from: Falanor on August 10, 2013, 12:36:40 AM
And this is probably why I get really odd looks from people outside my group of friends too...that and my random movie quoting habit in general conversations.

I thought that was part of your inimitable charm?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Falanor

Frost

Chris Brady

Quote from: Black Howling on July 30, 2013, 02:12:42 AM
My meaning wasn't that they taught me words, that I seen words in the book I was not familiar with and looked them up. Usually I came across these in the short stories, and some of the descriptions. You are right, they are often used out of context from their true meanings, but because I look up words I'm unfamiliar with it didn't lower my vocabulary any. It's just one of the few areas I've come across words I don't know.
Fair enough, it's just that there are a lot of people I've seen at the local game shop that believe their vocabulary is bigger because of White Wolf's stuff, and they get the words wrong all the time.  Maybe it's a local thing, I don't know.  I just wanted to point out that a) I actually did not mark those words when I did this survey.  And b) some of us may want to watch out for their unique ability to mangle current meanings and make it sound legit, when it's not.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

SK0M

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:

words

Yeah those last columns...I was thinking they were made up HA

Braioch

Quote from: Braioch on December 26, 2012, 08:36:19 PM

...I need more words ya'll, I am disappoint in myself

Apparently it has grown, as it now says 32,000, sweet.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Zelric Miras

29,200 and I barely get someone to speak english with around here :P I guess reading and videogames help XD

jouzinka

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:
words

I think I will have to challenge myself to improve that..
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Florence

words

THAT TEST WAS HARD D8

... Every time I encountered a word I RECOGNIZED but didn't KNOW, I wanted to slap myself xD

Btw. Reading all your other scores. I just want to say. I hate all of you and I'm going to go crawl into a hole in the wall and read myself smart now. xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Sody

Nico

Imogen

32,200 I guess growing up watching BBC instead of Dutch channels did pay off after all.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Irishfire87

35,900 and nice Tombstone gif Falanor

Lovestheclassics

32,700 and I kinda freaked when that wasn't top 10 percentile until I thought, and saw confirmed, that folks like us doing tests like these are pretty much 98th percentile or better to begin with.  Reminds me of a health topic i read about once that confused me until I pondered how healthy the lowest quartile were likely to be.

WingedServant

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be:       36,100        words     

I'm not gonna lie though.. I was so blown away by some of the words in the last column, I looked up six of them after the test. I just don't like not knowing something.. which is likely why my score was high to begin with... I am such a nerd.

Freebie for the rest of you..

Oneiromancy = The study and interpretation of dreams!

It was like one of two I knew in the last column... blegh.. .

WingedServant

Quote from: Falanor on August 10, 2013, 01:09:49 PM

Does it count as a movie quote if he doesn't actually do the dance?

mia h

Quote from: WingedServant on September 04, 2013, 12:49:35 AM
Oneiromancy = The study and interpretation of dreams!
I blame Neil Gaiman for me knowing that one.

Your total vocabulary size is estimated to be: 34,500 words.

But I think they made up some of those words to check if people were just BS'ing the test
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.