How long can you go without sleep for?

Started by Jack, February 27, 2009, 11:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Although I can go without sleep I can't do it for long, nor do I like to do it. Being a student, it's inevitable that I'm going to leave an essay or three to the last minute while all of my time is filled up with the more important things in life. Well the night before last, as in Wednesday night, myself and seven other people from my course spent the night in the 24 hour suite doing our essay for yesterday. I didn't struggle at all until I finished at around 5:30 and tried to stand up at which point my body realised that in order to move I need my legs which had been out of action, but still aware of their existence, for about 12 hours (I was distracted by Facebook numerous times throughout the night) and had forgotten how to move. So I've come to the conclusion that as long as I don't have to use my legs, I can stay awake all night. The annoying thing was that I had an active day ahead of me; lots of rehearsals and workshops which resulted in me nodding off several times on the bus home much to the amusement of the very attractive girl beside me who I was explaining why I was tired to, as I fell asleep. I'm awake now, but I feel weird. I keep thinking it's thursday evening.

I have gone without sleep before while role playing or watching a whole TV series in a night (The Wire), but I've often fallen asleep about ten o clock the next morning.

So, how long can you guys last for and what's the longest you've ever been without it?

Jack

Bollocks, I've just realised I may have posted this in the wrong forum section.

Inkidu

Nah, just say your doing it for science class and you're covered.

God, I have to get at least six hours of sleep a day, I'm basically misfiring seventy percent on that
Normally I get eight.
Ideally I like ten. I have no nightlife so I don't care.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

jouzinka

I have recently realized I can still go on without sleep for some roughly 40 hours, without any real damage, but that's quite as much as I can do. After that I'm just... useless. :D
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Diabolus Lupus

That would depend on how much caffeine I've had and how late in the day I have it. The longest I've gone without sleep is somewhere around 36-37 hours, but that's because I stayed up all night ready a book and then had to go to work for like five hours.

Normally, I'm no good without eight-ten hours of sleep. Although I have had where I've gone 23-25 hours without sleep.

Jack

40 hours? Jeez, that's impressive; although scary. How many iv's of coffee would you need to manage that? 25 I think I could handle. I've done the maths and worked out that I was up for about 35 hours - Eight o clock wednesday morning to about 7 o clock thursday evening.

Yeah, Inkidu, I'm with you. I'd rather be a lightweight when it comes to sleep.

Oniya

I once attended a weekend-long science fiction convention without benefit of a hotel room.  I learned two things:  1) Everyone is incredibly interesting at 4 in the morning, and 2) sleep-dep hallucinations are indistinguishable from hall costumes.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

jouzinka

Quote from: Jack on February 27, 2009, 12:44:36 PM
40 hours? Jeez, that's impressive; although scary. How many iv's of coffee would you need to manage that? 25 I think I could handle. I've done the maths and worked out that I was up for about 35 hours - Eight o clock wednesday morning to about 7 o clock thursday evening.

Well... Not much, really. Just when you got too much work on your hands, then you got too much work. ;D I don't think that I drank some unusual amount. At least not for the initial 24 hours... After that... maybe I doubled my usual 2 cups of coffe/day. :) But it's not an experience I'd like to repeat antime soon.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Jack

Quote from: Oniya on February 27, 2009, 12:47:24 PM
I once attended a weekend-long science fiction convention without benefit of a hotel room.  I learned two things:  1) Everyone is incredibly interesting at 4 in the morning

Yeah tell me about it; we had the people who were just on automatic pilot and the other group, which I was in, where we had got to the point when we were hyper.
[/quote]

Quote from: jouzinka on February 27, 2009, 02:15:19 PMBut it's not an experience I'd like to repeat antime soon.

No, I have to agree with you there. Although I seemed to experience some god like delusions which were interesting, I don't think it'll be on my to do list intentionally, ever.

HairyHeretic

Think I did about 34 hours, doing a video marathan back at uni. The most within the last couple of years is 24 hours straight awake, or thereabouts.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Jack

Fair enough. I want to try and to a replica of this show I once saw on Channel 4 which I think was called, Shattered where contestants had to stay awake for a week and there were certain rules that they had to follow.

Of course if I do this, I will not be one of the contestants... I will loop in university freshers and challenge them to a week of hell.

Caeli

I think a recent Law & Order: SVU episode went a little bit into sleep deprivation and what it could do the human body. It was actually exceedingly interesting, though I'm not entirely certain how much of it was true.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Mindhazingsquid

I read studies that say after about 48 hours of no sleep you risk all kinds of serious health issues, including hallucinations, increased risk of illness and death.

Not to mention you probably start having a pretty good chance of just passing out.

OldSchoolGamer

At one place I worked at, they offered unlimited overtime.  So this guy does about a hundred hours in a week, or something ridiculous.  I know by Thursday or so he was popping uppers.  (This was a tech support call center, so it's not like he was endangering anyone by being on drugs...except maybe himself.)

Definitely not something I would recommend.

Oniya

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on March 21, 2009, 04:08:01 PM
(This was a tech support call center, so it's not like he was endangering anyone by being on drugs...except maybe himself.)

Definitely not something I would recommend.

And anyone he passed on his way driving to work.  I fully agree with you.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Nadir

I can go without sleep for quite a while - I think I did 70 hours once with only bits of sleep, but that was drug-aided and I was down for a long while afterwards. I think I can handle about 30 hours or so, otherwise.

Mnemaxa

I can easily go 20 hours without sleep - if given a choice, my body prefers 10 hours of sleep and 20 hours awake.  However....

After 20 hours, I start to hallucinate.  At 30 hours, my mind does strange things aside form the visual hallucinations and I have trouble censoring my comments. 

The longest I've gone without sleep was 52 hours, and every few months I go for 48 hours without sleep due to my brain chemistry.  When I can't recall when I last slept was, it's been too long.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Paradox

5 years ago, at my 18th birthday party, there were copious amounts of cocaine. The party lasted three days, during which none of us slept. I had been up for about 18 hours prior to the start of the party, so 24 x 3 + 18= 90, so that's my record.

Since I went clean, the longest I've stayed up is about 43, during back-to-back Relays for Life.

For some interesting factoids, go here:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm

The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Nadir

A rocking chair marathon?

I'm so very pleased my hobby is RPing...

Dingo

I suffer from insomnia (in bouts), and if I wait long enough in bed, during such a bout, I will eventually fall asleep for an hour, maybe two. But at some points I just get annoyed by just lying there, staring at the ceiling, listening to the sounds around me, that I get out again.

My personal best, during a very bad spell some months ago, was five days minus 2-3 hours. And the weird thing was, I just went to bed to sleep. I woke up after a nice rest of six hours and was feeling just chipper.

Oniya

I read somewhere that the human sleep cycle (from alpha to deep REM and back) is about 90 minutes, so if your sleep length is a multiple of that, you wake up easier than if you wake up mid-cycle.  So a 7.5 hour sleep would be actually more refreshing than an 8 hour sleep - although probably not as refreshing as a 9 hour sleep.

Destiny Ascension

My longest streak was 4 days and 21 hours before I basically had to sleep. Completely unintentional, also, and it wasn't healthy fyi.
"Build courage when courage seems to fail, gain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, create hope when hope becomes forlorn."
Andraste's flaming sword! I know where babies come from!

Death

I can go 3 days perfectly fine as long as i have something to do.
My sex map
(kinda like my Ons/Offs will update later)
http://www.humansexmap.com/showmap.php?mapid=map49cc53783f3427.10298790

Rider of the Wind has peace of mind now

my A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=40684.0

Marguerite

I was able to go twenty four hours but only because during that whole time I was traveling from California to Mexico.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Desan

48 hours. Then I went home and a book was in the corner of my bed. I leaned down and stretched myself on my bed. My head hit the pillow before my hands touched the book and I was out.
And I don’t really give a f-ck, and my excuse is that I’m young.